3.X Grand Monster Index

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

3.X Grand Monster Index

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Ever since the release of the "Black Box" back in 1990, I've compiled lists of monsters that were acceptable for use in the Ravenloft setting (I've also done lists for Planescape, Dark Sun, and various culture-specific settings). Recently, I decided to pare the list back down to 3.0/3.5 monsters for cohesiveness' sake (although that may change with 5th edition's backwards compatibility), although I'm including far more than WoTC's offerings and including any 3rd party D20/OGL/OGC material so long as it's thematically appropriate (no D20 Modern or sci-fi stuff, for example).

So firstly, would this large list be of interest to anyone?

Secondly, if you are interested, how would you prefer the information to be presented? Right now monsters are listed by book, and the books are grouped up by publisher and roughly listed in the order they were printed, but that strikes me as a rather odd and probably unhelpful way to list them. Would a straight alphabetical listing be more helpful? Or alphabetical by publisher?
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: 3.X Grand Monster Index

Post by Alastor »

It sounds interesting; it seems unlikely anyone would use the whole list, but it would make a good guide for new creatures to include and books to buy.

Personally, I find grouping by creature type (with a note as to the source for each creature) and possibly CR to be most useful.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Unfortunately, grouping by CR is more intensive than I originally intended, and would require me to basically re-do the whole list from scratch since I didn't breakdown the list to name creatures with multiple entries (for example, for the Monster Manual I listed things as "Demon, all", "Devil, all", "Dire Animal, all" etc.)
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I was wondering if J. Mangrum made such a monster list and it is on this site somewhere.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

tarlyn wrote:I was wondering if J. Mangrum made such a monster list and it is on this site somewhere.
He did the "Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror" but it consisted only of official D&D stuff from WotC. My list has non-WotC stuff on it.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I might be thinking of Monster Lores?
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

tarlyn wrote:I might be thinking of Monster Lores?
Yes, that's what the "Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror" were.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

What I was thinking of was the "Definitive Monster List for 3e .pdf"
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

tarlyn wrote:What I was thinking of was the "Definitive Monster List for 3e .pdf"
That's basically all the stuff posted in the Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror posts. It's only from WotC works, basically. The list I have has all of that, plus stuff from non-WotC publishers.

(Yes, I know 3rd ed. Ravenloft was published by White Wolf, but only under license from WotC, so I consider that basically the same).
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Bluebomber4evr wrote:
tarlyn wrote:What I was thinking of was the "Definitive Monster List for 3e .pdf"
That's basically all the stuff posted in the Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror posts. It's only from WotC works, basically. The list I have has all of that, plus stuff from non-WotC publishers.

(Yes, I know 3rd ed. Ravenloft was published by White Wolf, but only under license from WotC, so I consider that basically the same).

(Also published under TSR :) 2nd edition.)

So yeah, your list sounds really good FYI LOL.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

I tend to like when all my monsters are listed by type and in alphabetical order. If anyone needs to find a specific monster right away just list the page number in the index.

But I like your idea and wish you much success with it. If you need help feel free to PM me and I can perhaps lend a bit of effort in my free time to aiding you with it. :)
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

I could probably make alternate versions that list all monsters by name, type or CR, but I want to finish the "by book" version first.

I'm probably just going to make my initial list organized by publisher, and list the books by that publisher alphabetically, since that will require less work over what I've already done. Once it's finished (I haven't tracked down all of the many D20/OGC/OGL monster books just yet), I'll look into making alternate versions.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

While I haven't done it for monsters, I do have excel lists for all official D&D products (and all 3rd edition Kingdoms of Kalamar, DL, RL, and some Blackmoor books) that I own or have come in contact with (the majority of 3/3.5 stuff including all dragon magazine and majority of Dungeon ones) for:

Feats (name, type, source)
Spells (name, level, school, components, source)
Familiars (name, source, requirements, bonus)
Undead (lists name, source, and how that undead is created)
Prestige Classes (name, source)

Feats and spells are further broken down by campaign setting. All things that say "source" include the page number where the item is.

If anyone wants them I can forward them to you, just send me your email.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

So this list is mostly done. It's not completely done because there are a few 3.X books that are out of print and not available digitally, so until I can track them down, this is the list as it is so far.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/764 ... t%20v1.pdf

I will eventually do a list like this for 5th edition, but it's still a little too "new" to really need a large index.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Wow! ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)