the kristhomas's map collection

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: the kristhomas's map collection

Post by thekristhomas »

I'm pretty sure Markovia is a bit oversized (I'm not sure it would even fit back in the Shadow Rift) so I'll have a fiddle with it see if I can make it fit better, another issue with it is that I've kept the topographical data from the black box, without adjusting for its relocation, so the lowest point on the island is at best 501 feet, and while I'm OK with Markovia being strange post gc I'm not sure it gels with the descriptions from NMNB, any ideas on how I should scale it down? (my guess at the mo is make yellow into dark green, light brown into light green and dark brown into yellow but I'm not 100%)

My intention is to work on separate maps for Vechor and Graben Island based on their original maps (from the black box and ship of horror respectively and then paste them in like I have with Markovia, but for now, despite the various islands flatness (due to difficulty extrapolating topological data from the 3rd ed map (why did it have to be in red?)), I'm reasonably pleased with how it's turned out thus far.

I would be grateful for any advice or criticism that you might provide.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I kinda like the detailed Mordent map..... has a lot of places on it! Which is very helpful I think for me. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Zilfer wrote:I kinda like the detailed Mordent map..... has a lot of places on it! Which is very helpful I think for me. :)
Yes I really like the ones that turn out "busy", the Mordent one was one of my first and most of the detail is extrapolated from the text of Gaz3, which each of the main noble houses getting an "ancestral pile". Though I've done my best there is disagreement between mine and other maps, on some exact locations but I think mine is not far off.

Another of my faves, for similar reasons, is the post gc Nova Vaasan map, again it is the strongholds of the noble houses that fill it out.

I'm really pleased that you think my map might be useful, that's why I've been sharing them :D
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

thekristhomas wrote:
Zilfer wrote:I kinda like the detailed Mordent map..... has a lot of places on it! Which is very helpful I think for me. :)
Yes I really like the ones that turn out "busy", the Mordent one was one of my first and most of the detail is extrapolated from the text of Gaz3, which each of the main noble houses getting an "ancestral pile". Though I've done my best there is disagreement between mine and other maps, on some exact locations but I think mine is not far off.

Another of my faves, for similar reasons, is the post gc Nova Vaasan map, again it is the strongholds of the noble houses that fill it out.

I'm really pleased that you think my map might be useful, that's why I've been sharing them :D
Yeah I actually might have a use for the other one you like because my PC from Mordentshire is going to Nova Vassa lol! xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

This is without a doubt my most complex map to date. Mostly because of the number of separate maps that have been compiled into it, which are as follows.

The Black Box map of the Core, which was the base of the whole map

The map of the Western Core and Sea of Sorrows and map of Eastern core and Nocturnal Sea from the PHB from which I could place the islands in relation to the mainland and each other, and also served as the base for some of the islands

The Black Box map of the Core was again used as the base for Markovia as an island in the Sea of Sorrows, with the contours altered relative to it's new position.

The Black Box map of the Islands of Terror was used as a base for Vechor as an island in the Nocturnal Sea

The map of Dominia from Bleak House

The poster map of Graben Island from Ship of Horrors

The cover map of Todstein from the same

and finally the map of Liffe from the FoS survey of the Nocturnal Sea.

So, I am unsure as to whether I have used the earliest available maps of each location, are you aware of earlier sources for maps of any of the areas?
Attachments
corepostgc1.PNG
corepostgc1.PNG (157.96 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

So this is the vechor map that I dropped into the world map, this must be one of my earlier versions as it doesn't have Thornewood, but I've basically tried to do the same with vechor as I have with other domains, which is, copy the original black box map and add the detail from later products, in this case the later product being the FoSSNS, bit confilcted as this is the first domain map that's not 100% canon, and I also chickened out of putting the mists in (cos it would've meant 2 maps pre and post gc didn't seem worth it)
Attachments
VECHOR.PNG
VECHOR.PNG (53.49 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Since I seem to have made a start on islands, here's Farelle from the black box
Attachments
FARELLE.PNG
FARELLE.PNG (38.64 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Valachan post gc with info from gaz 4

Now I think, that's both the pre and post gc core done, with a separate map for each domain that needs one (I might be wrong about that, I'd be grateful if someone could check)

All of the domains covered in the gazeteer series have been done (I think?) with the info from there included

Most of the domains also have additional info from previous canon (and some from less canon, but much less of that)
Attachments
valachanpostgc.PNG
valachanpostgc.PNG (93.75 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Ron, can you get back to me re. this, thanks
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

thekristhomas wrote:Ron, can you get back to me re. this, thanks
Hi, yeah, it's on my to-do list. Sorry, things have been really busy lately. I'll try to get to it soon.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

I'll add my campaign maps from the war in the core thread once they're finalised
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

sorry if this is a bit annoying I'm trying to remember how to resize images, please bear with
Attachments
war in the core stage4.PNG
war in the core stage4.PNG (255.55 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
war in the core stage4.JPG
war in the core stage4.JPG (236.15 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

have we never been able to post bmp. files?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Nothing has changed in that regard recently. It's possible it was never available. Is it giving an error message?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Nothing has changed in that regard recently. It's possible it was never available. Is it giving an error message?
says bmp not supported, I'm not sure I ever tried before, just surprised really not a problem