the kristhomas's map collection

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: the kristhomas's map collection

Post by thekristhomas »

I'm definitely doing something wrong, all my maps before were crisp even after resizing, what could I be doing differently?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

thekristhomas wrote:I'm definitely doing something wrong, all my maps before were crisp even after resizing, what could I be doing differently?
Is there a quality setting when you save to jpg in CC? Do the images look crisp on your PC before uploading?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

So here's the first draft of my attempt to unify the maps of the Black Box, the Gazeteers and Curse of Strahd.

Some assumptions:

The rest of the country (Immol and the Gundarak territory) still exists (natch)

The Keep of Forgetting (from the Gaz) is Argynvostholt (They occupy similar positions and are basically haunted castles)

Tsolenka Pass replaces the Dread Pass as the main route south and therefore joins up to Teufeldorf rather than Zeidenburg

I'd welcome as much criticism as possible :)
Attachments
curse of strahd.JPG
curse of strahd.JPG (245.09 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

If I may, it's a bit... cluttered. Can you make the map bigger so that there's more "space" between the letters? The font size is right, but if making the map bigger is problematic, perhaps reducing the font size by a bit would be better.
Just my opinion.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

alhoon wrote:If I may, it's a bit... cluttered. Can you make the map bigger so that there's more "space" between the letters? The font size is right, but if making the map bigger is problematic, perhaps reducing the font size by a bit would be better.
Just my opinion.
I don't disagree, here in the forum I'm limited by the memory limit, which shouldn't be a problem for my submission, but proportionally the writing would be the same, so I'll scale down the font.

I was also thinking that the black coloured letters could be outlined in white to make them "pop" a bit more, the Wizard of Wines in particular gets tangled up in the tsolenka road.

I'm also thinking that I'll add Lowenturm in it's canon location, despite never being mentioned in text it does appear on the map from the Evil Eye adventure, so for the sake of completeness (and to add a southern canon location) I'll add it.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Also, I might change the geographical (white) labels to green, as I think they are getting lost against the yellow, what do you think?
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ah all those hidden valley's in Barovia.... xD cool map but yeah definitely makes Barovia seem cluttered! Yet despite this people probably hardly travel from their little hamlet villages.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Zilfer wrote:Ah all those hidden valley's in Barovia.... xD cool map but yeah definitely makes Barovia seem cluttered! Yet despite this people probably hardly travel from their little hamlet villages.
In fairness most of these new locations are "encounter" locations rather than settlements, should these be labelled differently to settlements?
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Another attempt, I did try the geographical in green, but I didn't like how it looked so I went back to white
Attachments
curse of strahd1.JPG
curse of strahd1.JPG (245.78 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Attempt 3, tidied up the labeling a bit
Attachments
curse of strahd1.JPG
curse of strahd1.JPG (248.62 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

I've taken the scale off because different campaigns use different scales, does it need a key or is it self explanatory?
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

I just noticed that the Shadow Rift is not present, what are peoples preferences? The map is meant to include the red box & gaz entries as well as CoS and black box so really it should be there
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

final draft of my CoS map, with apologies that I couldn't get it together in time for QtR

edit

much better version here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Attachments
curse of strahd1resized.jpg
curse of strahd1resized.jpg (252.27 KiB) Viewed 1673 times