Ravenloft Reanimated Domain Contest

Discussing all things Ravenloft
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ravenloft Reanimated Domain Contest

Post by WolfKook »

The domain roster for Ravenloft Reanimated is almost complete, as several canon domains will be used in the new version, and some fan-made domains which have appeared throughout the years have made their way into the list. But the idea behind Ravenloft Reanimated is not to just recycle what has already been published, but to gather all-new material that is exciting and interesting, and that keeps the philosophy behind the original Ravenloft Campaign Setting. So, we'll start looking for this material by looking for a group of 10 all-new domains that will integrate into the current domain list.

And to do so, we'll be throwing a contest.

Unlike most contests on this site, this one will develop on a series of rounds, each of which will be aimed at fleshing out each of the domains a little further. The rounds will be as follows:

Round 0 (Closed): Open Call (2/1/2009-2/21/2009) Domain Proposals
Results (Initial Filter) - 2/28/2009

Round 1 (Closed): Remaining Domains (3/3/2009-3/13/2009) Darklord's Description
Results (Second Filter) - 3/19/2009

Round 2: Remaining Domains (3/20/2009-4/5/2009) Domain's Statblock and Summary
Results (Third Filter) - 4/19/2009

Round 3: Final 24 (4/20/2009-5/3/2009) Darklord's Write-Up
Open Poll (5/4/2009-5/10/2009)
Results (RLR New Domains) - 5/11/2009

Round 4: Semifinals (5/11/2009-5/24/2009) Domain's Write-Up
Open Poll (5/25/2009-5/31/2009)
Results (Final 5) - 6/1/2009

Round 5: Finals (6/1/2009-6/21/2009) Domain's Secrets
Results (5th Place) - 7/1/2009
Results (4th Place) - 7/2/2009
Results (3rd Place) - 7/3/2009
Results (Winner) - 7/4/2009

To take the decisions of this contest (Except in the 4th and 5th rounds, in which the decisions will be taken via an open poll), we'll have a group of four judges who are senior members of these forums, well-known and well-respected by everyone who's had the opportunity to interact with them. They are Mr. Steve Miller, MadStepDad, ManOfEvil and Tec-Goblin. With them, I'll be coordinating and publishing the results of the contest as it goes on (But I won't influence them in any way, and will not take any decisions for them).

So, how to enter the contest?

Just send an e-mail to wolfkook@gmail.com with up to 10 domain proposals. Each proposal should contain a domain name and a brief description (Up to 30 words) of what the proposed domain's all about. The challenge here will be to use the words wisely to portrait your domain and make it look as cool as you imagine it to be, keeping the word count in check.

What are we looking for?

We're looking for new, exciting domains, interesting enough for PCs to explore, which encourage DMs to create unique fantasy-horror adventures in them, and which integrate seamlessly into the current Ravenloft Reanimated domain roster (Including fan-made domains), without making the alternate setting look like a patchwork.

(Even though all-new domains will be preferred, retcons of original domains which haven't been already chosen in the project -or even mixtures of two or more such domains -will be accepted, and will stand a good chance if they're good enough, so if you haven't used up your 10 slots, and you have an interesting idea for one -or several -of those domains, don't hesitate sending it. If any, that'll increase your chances of winning).

Please use this thread to make any questions or suggestions (But not to send any submissions).

Remember: Submissions are due Feb 21st, 2009.

Edit: Dates were changes due to delays in the Open Poll.
Last edited by WolfKook on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Will I lose points if I am 4 words over ;p ?
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

NykylaiHellray wrote:Will I lose points if I am 4 words over ;p ?
That will be up to the judges, but maybe you can find a way to say the same using 4 less words. :P
William Blake
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

One Power Check per extra word. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky, one way or the other . . . . ;-)
The cure for what ails you
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Ok. There's been just one week, and we already two submissions. There are still two weeks left, so there's still time to send them.

I forgot to mention there will be surprise prizes for the three best places.
William Blake
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Just to clarify, the domains in RLR so far are:

The Core: Arkandale (Lonesome Road's version), Barovia, Borca, Darkon, Dementlieu, Fairhaven, Falkovnia, G'Henna, Kartakass, Lamordia, Monte Mal, Mordent, Nidala, the Nocturnal Sea (Containing Carcharodon Island, Graben Island, the Isle of Ravens and Todstein), Richemulot, the Sea of Sorrows (Containing Blaustein, Ghastria, Souragne and Zherisia), Tepest and Vorostokov

The Other Continent: Al-Kathos, Har Akir, Kor, Nzari and Pharazia

Islands: Bluetspur, Mictlan, Nightmare Lands, Rokushima Taiyoo, Sanzhou Grove and Sri Raji

Preferrably, the new domains should work alongside the existing ones, or create bridges between them, in order to create bigger clusters from mere islands or smaller clusters, or shift the structure or the Reanimated Core.

Remember, the deadline comes at Feb 21st, so there's still a little more than a week to send your submissions.
William Blake
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

sent it =/.....did you get it wolfkook?

Wouldnt say i was to happy with my submission ^^;.......30 words is hard T-T

Connection wise the idea is to create a trainsystem between the more advanced domains. With the trains themselves possibly becoming pocket like domains in themselves.
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

NykylaiHellray wrote:sent it =/.....did you get it wolfkook?
Got it, fut there are still few submissions. I hope more people would rise to the challenge (Or those who already have would send more proposals, remember that the limit is 10 p.p.).
Wouldnt say i was to happy with my submission ^^;.......30 words is hard T-T
And it's not going to get easier. This is a contest, after all. :wink:

Did I ever mention the surprise prizes for the three top places??? I guess I forgot to...
William Blake
Yaoi Huntress Earth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth »

I look forward to it. Sorry I've vanished from the Mists for so long.
I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Just one week to go, and the proposals grow. There are 24 domain proposals right now, and still plenty of opportunities to participate (And a tough competition ahead, as the current submissions are of very high quality). I hope I'll be receiving more submissions as the week goes.
William Blake
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

With over 30 domain proposals, and only 5 days to the deadline of this open call, there's still a lot of room for creative members of the Cafe de Nuit to send their submissions. For those who still want to participate, don't miss this narrow window of opportunity, and send your submissions right away!

Remember, we're looking to rebuild the entire setting, so if you think that there's something missing from the core, that some specific domain needs a serious retcon, or that there's something missing from the setting at large, don't hesitate and send them right away. Who knows? Perhaps you end up winning this contest.

Thanks again to all those who have already contributed. I've gathered all the submissions into a simple form that will be sent to the judges once the deadline is over, so they can vote for their favorite domains, and make their comments on how to improve them.
William Blake
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

In the past two days I received four new submissions (Three in one, but they still count), and the number of domain proposals is now 59. It's a little more than one day left. I hope to get at least a couple more submissions before the time's up.
William Blake
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

Wasn't the deadline the 21st?
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Yaoi Huntress Earth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth »

Yeah but the results won't be until the 28th.
I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Yeap, but to avoid problems with issues concerning datetimes and such, it extended a little.

Well, the open call is over. There are 9 contestants, so the "reality show" will be more "Real Life" and less "American Idol", but the number of domains ascends to 61, so there are still many opportunities to get new and fresh domains.

The judges already have the domains in their hands, and they're assessing them for potential. Only those of them which pass this first filter will be asked for detail on their darklords.

So, good luck to all the contestants!
William Blake