Pocket Domain Question.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Pocket Domain Question.

Post by jamesfirecat »

I want to make sure I'm using this term correctly, is a Pocket Domain a Domain that is part of Ravenloft, big enough to be more or less a normal domain (as opposed to House of Lament or the "Highway" that the Headless Horseman uses) but not physically reachable by any normal means/not able to be found on any map means like Vorostokov before the Grand Conjunction and G'Henna after it?

Or does it mean something else and if it means something else what does it mean and is there a word for the type of Domain/area I described above?
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Pocket Domain Question.

Post by Zilfer »

This is quoted from the main FoS FAQs page for you.

What are Pocket domains?

Pocket domains are small domains that are completely contained within another larger domain but are able to move around, changing their position. This may be shifting around a region or radically moving across the entire continent without warning. True Pocket domains should be differentiated from smaller enclave domains such as Castle Island, which is entirely contained within another land (see Ravenloft Gazetteer V). Castle Island and the like are rooted in place and have never moved from their position; they are as much a part of the land as Barovia. Pockets, however, can move from land to land, temporarily displacing part of another domain, (even if they very seldom do so, such as the House of Lament). Pocket domains are diverse and come in many shapes, from a small theatre to a land contained entirely within a dagger to a place that exists only within a sleeper’s mind.

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/FAQs.html <----- Link to the page that answers a lot of the basic questions about terminology and questions about ravenloft.

I believe what you are describing is an "Island" or "Island of Terror" in the terminology.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Zilfer wrote:This is quoted from the main FoS FAQs page for you.

What are Pocket domains?

Pocket domains are small domains that are completely contained within another larger domain but are able to move around, changing their position. This may be shifting around a region or radically moving across the entire continent without warning. True Pocket domains should be differentiated from smaller enclave domains such as Castle Island, which is entirely contained within another land (see Ravenloft Gazetteer V). Castle Island and the like are rooted in place and have never moved from their position; they are as much a part of the land as Barovia. Pockets, however, can move from land to land, temporarily displacing part of another domain, (even if they very seldom do so, such as the House of Lament). Pocket domains are diverse and come in many shapes, from a small theatre to a land contained entirely within a dagger to a place that exists only within a sleeper’s mind.

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/FAQs.html <----- Link to the page that answers a lot of the basic questions about terminology and questions about ravenloft.

I believe what you are describing is an "Island" in the terminology.
Thank you for the prompt response and correction, sorry for not being smart enough to check the FAQ, mod you can delete this thread if you wish.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Nah it's cool, I forget it's there sometimes too! :D

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Not a matter of smarts. There's lots of stuff on this site. Even I forget what we have available from time to time.

And we're always here to help point you in the right direction...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Not a matter of smarts. There's lots of stuff on this site. Even I forget what we have available from time to time.

And we're always here to help point you in the right direction...
Yeah what Ron said....

*Looks at the scratched out wooden sign pointing down a path*

[Road to hell]
The Right Direction

:azalin:

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Meh... not all pocket domains are able to move around IIRC.
That nice theater dude that burns everyone that doesn't like his plays moves his pocket domain, but House of Lament is stationary IIRC.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:Meh... not all pocket domains are able to move around IIRC.
That nice theater dude that burns everyone that doesn't like his plays moves his pocket domain, but House of Lament is stationary IIRC.
As mentioned in the FAQ, the house has been stationary for a very long time, but can move.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:Meh... not all pocket domains are able to move around IIRC.
It also says in the FAQ that some do not move around like Castle Island.

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zilfer wrote:It also says in the FAQ that some do not move around like Castle Island.
"True Pocket domains should be differentiated from smaller enclave domains such as Castle Island, "

But, meh, it's splitting hairs, really. There exist domains completely inside other domains that don't move (Castle Island, Necropolis). There exist domains completely inside other domains that very rarely move (House of Lament). There exist domains that move from domain to domain all the time (Scaena, aggarath...). Which ones we choose to call pockets doesn't really affect much, since the inhabitants would never use that terminology.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Yeah how we classify it and how people in the world would speak of it has always been an interesting topic for me to think about. I mean if all our states in the US were like that with Domain Lords, but no physical borders to tell.... o.o' *begins to worry about being in ravenloft!!!* There was a good amount of fog this morning....