Wolfweres

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wolfweres

Post by Quinntonia »

So am I understanding correctly that somewhere in the 3.5 update they lost their immunity from weapons with that vulnerability to iron?

Also, what sources can I find definitive stats for them?
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Wolfweres

Post by Zilfer »

Well in pathfinder they still have that damage reduction 5/cold iron.

link

This second link is where I made one according to Ryan's "Trickster Beast Template" which is similar but possibly a little bit stronger so I gave them a Rapier for my own game rather than a bastard sword. In my game it's going to be a women Wolfwere hunting down male victims. Possibly ones that abuse either A) Animals or B) Women. :D

Link 2
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

There are stats for them (including the Greater Wolfwere) in Denizens of Darkness or Denizens of Dread (the 3.0/3.5 Ravenloft monster books, respectively.)
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

I am soon to run Feast of Goblyns wherein they factor heavily. Is having only damage reduction of 5 needing them? The notes in the module suggest that they should be incredibly deadly.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Quinntonia wrote:I am soon to run Feast of Goblyns wherein they factor heavily. Is having only damage reduction of 5 needing them? The notes in the module suggest that they should be incredibly deadly.
Keep in mind that in 2nd edition, "only harmed by weapons forged of cold iron" (or made of silver, or some other exotic material) is (with rare exception) always followed by an unspoken "or magic weapons." At the level PCs would be passing through FoG, yes, wolfweres could be deadly for parties who were completely unprepared, but for the most part that wouldn't be the case.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Also, it's 15/cold iron in Denizens of Darkness (3.0) and 10/cold iron in Denizens of Dread (3.5).

The reason it was reduced* was because in 3.0, any magic enhancement at all can overcome /cold iron or other /material DR. In 3.5, magic enhancement doesn't help you at all. You need the actual material (or a weapon enhancement like Metalline that specifically changes the material of the weapon) (*I assume. Most DR numbers were reduced from 3.0 to 3.5 for this reason)

In Pathfinder, it's a middle ground: you need a +3 enhancement bonus to overcome /cold iron or /silver DR. Not sure why they reduced it further. Probably because 10/ is darn close to "immune" for most non-fighters/non-rogues. 5/ is significant, but not insurmountable.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Also, it's 15/cold iron in Denizens of Darkness (3.0) and 10/cold iron in Denizens of Dread (3.5).

The reason it was reduced* was because in 3.0, any magic enhancement at all can overcome /cold iron or other /material DR. In 3.5, magic enhancement doesn't help you at all. You need the actual material (or a weapon enhancement like Metalline that specifically changes the material of the weapon) (*I assume. Most DR numbers were reduced from 3.0 to 3.5 for this reason)

In Pathfinder, it's a middle ground: you need a +3 enhancement bonus to overcome /cold iron or /silver DR. Not sure why they reduced it further. Probably because 10/ is darn close to "immune" for most non-fighters/non-rogues. 5/ is significant, but not insurmountable.
However you might note in the 3.X book recommends (Somewhere?) upping the DR of creatures to encourage your players to get the right "Material" to combat monsters. Or at least it's an option so yeah, level 1 or even level 5's against DR 15 monster even if it only has 10 HP can be a "Tough" battle. :D
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

So my PCs are 8-9th level, but it a very low magic campaign. They have at this point a few magical items, but not even every one of them has a magic weapon, and for two of them, that weapon is a +1 short sword that isn't typically their main weapon.

I think I will drop a 15 DR on them but let magical weapons do full damage. I want to keep the 2nd ed deadly feel of the encounters with the wolfweres.