[5e] Gwydion's warlocks

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

[5e] Gwydion's warlocks

Post by alhoon »

Here's the short version: Gwydion tries to influence the world so he can get out. It's totally to his benefit to have warlocks and within his power (he created the Arak after all).

The problem: What kind of warlocks are they? Gwydion counts as everything in the book. He's an alien-minded archfiend that created the Shadow Fey...

As my PCs will get away from Falkovnia (and Ravenloft) soon, I would like to have a Gwydion warlock escape along with them to spread Gwydion's influence to their home plane so I can then explore possibilities of small Conjuctions. (Ravenloft taking over a piece of the material plane for a short time)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Re: [5e] Gwydion's warlocks

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

I suppose he could grant powers to fey-pact and alien-pact warlocks; hell-pact warlocks most likely not. I would assume that Gwydion would grant these powers to warlocks in hopes that they go forth and find ways to free him (even if that ultimately might not be the choice for the warlocks themselves).

As for Gwydion not controlling hell-pact warlocks, it's more thematic for me; Gwydion isn't from a hell-realm, after all.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

But... he controlled a "vast" shadowy layer in the Abyss according to the Gazeteer history... Spawned from some darkness and shadow in the Abyss.

But let's place him in Shadowfell in 5e. Fits him way better IMO.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

He's a Far Realms creature if I ever saw one, a Cthulhu whose cultists are fey. So Great Old One pact all the way. One of the better examples that fits the setting. (I should totally add some Name pact figures for my 5e guide, but there's an absence of good examples for the fey pact...)
alhoon wrote:But... he controlled a "vast" shadowy layer in the Abyss according to the Gazeteer history... Spawned from some darkness and shadow in the Abyss.
The abyss is usually demons, but there are a couple gods in there. No reason a shadow thing couldn't also claim a layer... for a time.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Sounds good.
My DMGuild work!
Atma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Atma »

Jester of the FoS wrote:He's a Far Realms creature if I ever saw one, a Cthulhu whose cultists are fey. So Great Old One pact all the way. One of the better examples that fits the setting. (I should totally add some Name pact figures for my 5e guide, but there's an absence of good examples for the fey pact...)
alhoon wrote:But... he controlled a "vast" shadowy layer in the Abyss according to the Gazeteer history... Spawned from some darkness and shadow in the Abyss.
The abyss is usually demons, but there are a couple gods in there. No reason a shadow thing couldn't also claim a layer... for a time.
Several layers are controlled by demon lords with darkness/shadow as their themes/portfolios, like, for example, Rhyxali, Queen of the Shadow Demons