DarkCrusader's Campaign- Characters and Initial Set Up

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DarkCrusader
Conspirator
Conspirator

DarkCrusader's Campaign- Characters and Initial Set Up

Post by DarkCrusader »

At long last! I am running a Ravenloft campaign! Whoopie! *composes self* I would consider it a great privilege to recount these adventures for what I hope is your reading pleasure.

Basic campaign concept- It's fairly simple. The characters are members of the Van Ritchen Society, hunting monsters and cleansing evil. I wanted a simple concept that I could use for "monster of the week." I've got a lot of one shot ideas is part of that. Of course, you've got to be careful to keep that from being formulaic. Requires a good amount of creativity and variety. I also do intend to have some shorter arcs and lots of continuity.

Owing to one of the character backgrounds, they are based out of Richemulot. They have a mostly restored keep in the Forest of Sages a short ride from Pont-A-Museau. The town and surrounding area are ideal for a group of independently minded adventures while still plenty enough to get them involved in local politics as needed. This was an unexpected treat for me too. I was originally not interested in that realm but players were, so I went with it. After investigating it and planning some story lines, I'm excited about it.

Before I get onto the characters, I should note I am not using any d20 RPG. I've always felt that d20 was not a good system for role-playing or horror. So instead I'm using Ubiquity, specifically the All for One (Three Musketeers horror) system with some slight modifications. So bear in mind, when I'm describing these characters all lot of things matter. Background, skills, resources, personality, etc. Classes and alignment? Irrelevant.

Dominic Hawthorne- Born in Borca, Dominic was interested in joining the Church of Ezra as part of the clergy. Thing is, Dominic was also curious and a book worm. We he got a chance, he read a forbidden book destined for the Church's archives (think of it as the equivalent of the rumored Vatican Z-collection). As it turned out, the writing was alive and it entered his head.

Dominic, filled with shame, quit his studies at the Church and fled to try and find a cure. He hooked with the others and started hunting monsters.

The demon in his head doesn't have any control over him. However, he tends to speak up when it'll irritate Dominic the most. Thus far his personality is that of a really nasty, evil toothache. He has yet to take control over Dominic in the course of the campaign. We'll see what he's really like then.

Dominic brings quite a bit to the group. He's got a fair amount of knowledge, being skilled in languages, religion, medicine and empathy (the ability to read people). His major contributions come from the creature in his skull however. He's got Magical Sensitivity which allows him to sense magical auras and pick up details about them.

He's also highly skilled in the magic of humans. What this means is he can cast spells involving the bodies and minds of humans (and demi-humans) except for healing. So he can make people faster, stronger, smarter or more attractive. He can raise or lower skills, enhance or dampen senses, use mind control, change physical features or even form.

Remember though, he's can't do healing (that's a different school of magic) and other schools remain out of his reach without investing points. For example, he's starting his studies in Faunamancy so he can effect animals, but he's not nearly as proficient.

In combat, he prefers to attack his opponents with direct pain. It's the magical answer to the taser. Incredibley painful, but it's a non-lethal incapacitation. Some other examples include him fire proofing people or making himself bio-luminescent. Without magic, the only thing he's got in combat is a silver knife and he's no Bowie.

Katsumi- Katsumi is from Ravenloft's analog for Japan, Rokushima Táiyoo.

Katsumi is defined by the fact she was a dhamphir born to a human noble house. Viewed as impure, she was brought up to believe she a disgrace to her clan. This instilled in her a need to vindicate herself and to punish undead as revenge for her pre-natal contamination. She found a mentor to teach the art of the katana. Then she took the sacred blade of her clan and fled to the Core to hunt monsters.

In case it's not obvious, Katsumi is the muscle of the group. Her katana skills are deadly and blindingly fast. Her katana is also magically empowered, and they haven't encountered a monster invulnerable to it yet. She's also physically capable, and usually gets called on for anything that involves jumping, climbing etc.

This isn't to say she doesn't her only skills are physical or combat. She's got the most monster lore of the group and has investigation and survival skills. She's not only the best hunter physically, but mentally as well. Finally, she's able to paint and appraise painting.

Pierre Renier- Hey, his name rhymes! Anyway, he's a nobleman in the turbulent politics of Richemulot. He's originally from elsewhere, so he's part of the branch of the family that are not wererats. Boy, was he surprised when he discovered about the lycanthropy that was throughout the ruling family.

He's also a veteran of one of Drakov's invasions. He was over-promoted due to his nobleman rank, and made a critical mistake in the field. This resulted in the death of his command, the loss of his leg and a hatred of Falkovnians.

First, to get this out of the way, his character flaw is he is One-Legged. He's got the wealth to have quite a few artificial legs. He can walk in most circumstances. However, he's got great difficulty with other forms of movement, like running, swimming or climbing. If he looses that leg, it's way worse.

In terms of what he brings to the group, he's a highly ranked noble and wealthy. The group almost never needs to worry about money. The noble rank opens many doors, and sometimes grants protection from the law. The player has shown a skilled ability to leverage his status to great effect while not over reaching himself. He backs all of this up with a wide variety of social skills, most especially Diplomacy and Con.

He's not a slouch when it comes to combat. He carries several wheel lock pistols and a rifle. He fires one, drops it, and pulls out another. The technology plows through most mundane armor and does a lot of damage. However, he looses a turn each time he has to draw one and if the fight is still going after he's fired them all, it's highly unlikely he'll load one in time.

So that's the campaign set up and the group. The first adventure up in a few days.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: DarkCrusader's Campaign- Characters and Initial Set Up

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Sounds exciting. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Did you come up with these backstories or did your players, because...

"We he got a chance, he read a forbidden book destined for the Church's archives (think of it as the equivalent of the rumored Vatican Z-collection). As it turned out, the writing was alive and it entered his head."

Sounds like a bit like a Ravenloftizing of Rincewind's backstory. I approve of it, either way, but especially if it was intentional, both as a fan of the now sadly late Sir Pratchett (Noli Timere Messorem) and because there is a ton of dark stuff in the Discworld that could very easily feel right at home in Ravenloft.

Heck if you're interested in monsters of the week "Spider" from The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents would be a perfect one to spring on your players in Richemulot.

Heck Lilith/Lily Weatherwax could easily make a good darklord for some small domain, and Wolfgang Von Uberwald would be right at home as a follower (possibly one who wants to take over of course) of Alfred Timothy.

If you want to know more about any of the above let me know and I can fill you in/provide more ideas.

Moving on from Discworld references what is the story behind how Pierre found out about the family secret/how much of it does he know (and of course who knows that he knows?) It could have big implications for how long the group wants to operate out of Richemulot if some of his own extended family wants to get rid of him to tie up loose ends/prevent the word from getting out.

Also whatever your plans you could probably dangle a wand of cure light wounds or similar as a reward for some given question if you wanted your PCs to pay attention to it since they don't seem to have an in group cleric, although with you using a somewhat different system that may not be as much of an issue.
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

I really like the character backgrounds, I definitely get the "Scooby Gang" feel from them, as a non-traditional adventuring group.

I think I especially like the small numbers and the eclectic set up of the group. Frankly, aside from the occasional spell, this group could reasonably exist in Victorian Europe, which pushes all the right Ravenloft-y buttons for me.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
vyshan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by vyshan »

ooh all for one. now there is a system that I have but never thought to use for ravenloft. Sounds like a fun campaign :)
DarkCrusader
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkCrusader »

Thank you all so much for your feedback! Means a lot!

Did I put this in the right place? Or is there a different forum I should have used?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

DarkCrusader wrote:Did I put this in the right place? Or is there a different forum I should have used?
Nope, you're in the right place. How's the campaign going?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
DarkCrusader
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkCrusader »

It's happening in fits and spurts. It's graduation season for some members of the group, so we've missed a couple of weekends. However, I have an adventure or two I feel is fit to post, which I'll start doing.