The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Unsolved Mysteries: Ravenloft

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but here's a couple of obscure ones

From the end of the novel, Baroness of Blood:
VIEW CONTENT:
What happened to baby Lekai, and who killed Sagra?

At the end of the book, Sagra flees with Lekai from Castle Nimbus into the Mists. Ilsabet Abour is prevented from pursuit by the ghost of her sister. However, Ilsabet later finds Sagra's corpse but not Lekai.
What is the entity answering Ivana Borist's questions through Danzig's Icon of Ezra? (From Legacy of the Blood)
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hamiclar »

Are there any cities of ruin left by man in the wild lands?

Is the Sabua wasteland, does the statue of the god in the last remaining temple ever walk around?

On top of the temple's roof of Muhar stand models of pyramids and other land marks. Are these under the sand in the surrounding area. A tomb larger than tomb of Anktepot stands in the southwest. The mountains are in the west in touch of death but east in the other publications of the map!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A few few from To Sleep With Evil, one of the most mysterious novels despite its linear nature
VIEW CONTENT:
1.) Who or what is Ramus really? (He says he is a creature of "blood and mist" rather than "flesh and blood", and he bleeds red snakes instead of blood when cut.)
2) Who succeeds Donskoy as darklord? (At the end after his body crumples, Zosia says "The old lord is dead... And the new lord has come.”, implying that a new lord replaced Donskoy. However, it is not apparent who that new lord is.
3) Ramus said that he, Zosia, and Donskoy all have a link to each other. What is that link and how did they get it?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The answer to all the questions about the Sleep with evil is:
VIEW CONTENT:
Ramus was co-darklord with Donskoy. After Donskoy died, Ramus is the co-darklord with the newborn.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:The answer to all the questions about the Sleep with evil is:
VIEW CONTENT:
Ramus was co-darklord with Donskoy. After Donskoy died, Ramus is the co-darklord with the newborn.
Was this stated anywhere, or was it your take on it?
VIEW CONTENT:
I don't recall there being newborn child as such, rather a born shadow serpent that Donskoy threw out his tower window. Ramus, Donskoy, and Zosia all had a link, which would likely make them all darklords if Ramus and Donskoy both are. Is there some special connection I missed that would condemn all three as evil enough to be darklords?
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

I wouldn't worry too much about creating a timeline that holds hard and fast. Remember that Ravenloft doesn't work like the real world. Realms pop into and out of existence. People living there have an idea of other domains and trade between them. They also know that traveling from domain to domain is dangerous.

I harken back to the writings of Michael Moorcock on this. In his Elric books he had a character, Aubeck of Malador, who carved out a nation from the very stuff of Chaos. Once it was created, the land had existed from the founding of the world. He basically rewrote history. I feel this theme is highly present in Ravenloft, even coming from much of the published materials.

Edit: Too many tabs open! Sorry. This was meant for another thread. Feel free to delete!
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

jamesfirecat wrote: That said, I also like the argument that if Soth was once spending so much time inside the mirror's that his domain was falling apart, it might make sense that even after he stopped using them some of the idealized self image/history he was trying to build up for himself might have taken on a life of its own and escaped out into the world.
VIEW CONTENT:
This version featured in an adventure in Dragon Magazine (#351, "The World Serpent Inn"), so it seems like it's the cannon explanation.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

This one was from Curse of Strahd: what happened to the third magic gem from the Wizard of Wines?
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

jamesfirecat wrote:In the interest of thread rerailment...

Where did Harkon Lukas' kids get to and what are they doing now?
Casomir Lukas dies at the end of Heart of Midnight. Lukas also has another child, Haldrake Moonbaun, a greater wolfwere (see Feast of Goblyns) that works in Harkon's employ. Akriel Lukas' fate, however, is never addressed. In addition, there's an unnamed greater wolfwere gambler that's seemingy incidentally encountered in FoG too. (All greater wolfweres are said in their monster entry to be the children of Harkon Lukas)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Unsolved Mysreries: Ravenloft

IrvyneWolfe wrote:
jamesfirecat wrote:Where did Inza find the mystical knife Novgor?
I believe she got it for selling Nabon to Azreal... the real question is where that crazy old badger got it.
According to Heroes of Light (forgot if this was in Spectre of the Mits), Malocchio was the one who first found it and, ignorant of its power, gave it to Azrael Dak as a symbol of their alliance. I don't recall where Malocchio got it.

Glim wrote:What is/who are the Order of the Ebon Guardian?
Presuming you mean the controversial Order of the Ebon Gargoyle, they're Strahd's answer to the Kargat and are covered in Champions of Darkness.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Unsolved Mysreries: Ravenloft

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Lesser Evil wrote:
IrvyneWolfe wrote:
jamesfirecat wrote:Where did Inza find the mystical knife Novgor?
I believe she got it for selling Nabon to Azreal... the real question is where that crazy old badger got it.
According to Heroes of Light (forgot if this was in Spectre of the Mits), Malocchio was the one who first found it and, ignorant of its power, gave it to Azrael Dak as a symbol of their alliance. I don't recall where Malocchio got it.
I checked Spectre. It's mentioned that Azrael got it from Mal to forge an alliance, but not how Mal got it. The "ignorant of its power" bit seems to only be in Heroes of Light. (though Lowder wrote the Wanderers' section in HoL, so it's as official as the rest of his Sithicus work)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

alhoon wrote:
jamesfirecat wrote: Gazetteer 3 page 83 Richemulot at a Glance sidebar.
I found it and consider it a typo. :)
As for Verbek, werewolves there can eat other stuff. Why they don't kill all people? No idea.
You can do things to humans that you can't do to simple animals. Sadism is probably a fun way for werewolves to while away those long winter months...