Nostalia Romaine's correspondance

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Nostalia Romaine's correspondance

Post by Joël of the FoS »

IMC, the PCs were asked (nicely*) by Nostalia Romaine and Clothilda Taroyan (ermordenungs close to Ivana) to write reports of their activities!

* if a little menacingly :)

Extracts from my campaign journals :
Ivana nods then takes a moment to think, while sipping her drink. “From now on, you will work for me” (the heroes gasp!) “You will report to me any information against me. You know, there are many persons wishing to take my place in Misericordia. Report any information to Nostalia, she will know what to do with it and will reward you”.
(Clothilda)“It’s been over a month now since you agreed to work for Lady Ivana, but we are extremely saddened that we didn’t receive any reports from you. Perhaps we were not clear enough last time. We want a report from you about once per month: who you meet, and who is a threat to Lady Ivana.” )

Austizel says “It isn’t what she said and... ”, but Clothilda interrupts bluntly: “Really, your perception means nothing to us. Just do as we say.”

“So, where were we. Dates, names, threats, opportunities. It is valuable for us, to plan future ... commercial ... ventures of the Boritsi Trading Company. It is of extreme importance to your mistress, especially since you seem to travel often outside Borca. We also want to know what you learn about the Weathermay family and Van Richten, what are they doing, where and with whom.”

“Mail these report to me or Nostalia Romaine, or leave them, sealed, at any office of the Boritsi Trading Company. Any question?” The heroes stare at her, saying nothing.
---

So far they collaborate and dully send their reports :)

Now is time for their second monthly report, but I felt it was extremely low in information.

In an Azalin-like manner, I imagined Nostalia reviewing the report and sending it back to the PCs. See attached file.

Do you think this is in caracter for Nostalia, or over the top ?

Should I have the sheets of paper litely poisonned as a warning? :D

Joël
2nd report page 1.jpg
2nd report page 1.jpg (204.22 KiB) Viewed 913 times

2nd report page 2.jpg
2nd report page 2.jpg (199.53 KiB) Viewed 913 times
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Solan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Nostalia Romaine's correspondance

Post by Solan »

It's hard to say, but I imagine in her position Natalia is used to dealing with all kinds of information and is well aware of its value; therefore it seems to be in character for her to send back the report with her notes on the areas the PC's should have covered. Furthermore, a minor, non-lethal contact poision on the paper would seem to be an excellent way of expressing her displeasure with the lack of said information, especially given that this is the second time the PC's have disappointed her.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

looks good and fun to me. Are they deliberately withholding names, or were they just sloppy? The poison would have to be something irritating (maybe itchy?) but not dangerous. Seems that she sees value in these agents. She wouldn't want to kill them by accident.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

What about, instead of affecting the PCs, the punishment affects people near the PCs? For instance, if they get the reply from Nostalia in a town with a Boritsi Trading Company office, the agent at the office could have received a separate note from Nostalia, instructing the agent to poison one or more people at the inn where the PCs are staying.

The subtle message will be that if the PCs don't wise up and improve their level of reporting, one or two innocents will die or get violently ill wherever they go. That's a reputation NO adventuring party wants to have.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:looks good and fun to me. Are they deliberately withholding names, or were they just sloppy? The poison would have to be something irritating (maybe itchy?) but not dangerous. Seems that she sees value in these agents. She wouldn't want to kill them by accident.
Instead of a damaging or 'harmful' contact poison, would there be a poison that creates intense dread (something akin to the Scarecrow's fear gas from Batman) that only has short term effects. Describing (after the suitable roll to avoid the effect) the reader begin to shake in fear as they read the note aloud may be suitable motivation to perform as they should.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Idea added, Ken!

Good one too, Dark Angel, but it came a few hours too late. But I'll keep this for next time :)
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:looks good and fun to me. Are they deliberately withholding names, or were they just sloppy?
Yes, I think they were just sloppy. First report was more precise.

---

Played this yesterday.

I had them meet a messenger in Mordentshire, with a letter for the PCs. (It was known in Levkarest that their next stop was there)

They ask from whom? The messenger do not know, but he said it is from Levkarest.

Their first thought is "detect magic? detect poison?" :) Answer is yes for the second one.

They neutralize it and read the letter.

The letter ends with this note from Nostalia (modified from what I posted, with your comments - thank you guys :) ):

Next month, be much more precise with names!!!!
NR
PS: Left a little something as a reminder
Next time, I'll send it to other people you know
X

The players are furious against Nostalia and Ivana :)

But they answer with more "names" information, and send the witches' notes.

But they prepare to fight this next time, they are really furious :D

---

There was a good joke -
Why did she put only one kiss after the PS?
Because, after one, you're dead :lol:
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

I'm glad the advice came in handy!
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham