View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:57 pm



Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Grand Conjunction Problems 
Author Message
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 am
Posts: 311
Post Grand Conjunction Problems
When running the Grand Conjunction, how did you handle moving PCs from the end of one module to the beginning of the next? For example, I am playing it in order to levels required, making "Walking Dead" the first module, but they have to get from there to the desert afterwards and I am a little baffled as how to do that.

_________________
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate
Website: highlevelgames.ca

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.


Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:00 am
Posts: 787
Location: Falentei, the Lands of Fire and Darkness
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
While not explicitly making the players do so, Azalin has a hand in unraveling (or at least attempting to) the Demiplane for his personal whims. That being stated, he could indirectly or directly grant the players a means to get around and travel (mistways more likely as the Vistani may not be as cooperative). Building into the adventure series a patron or benefactor who is aligned with Azalin may be the more plausible (especially if they travel with the group), at least more so than the Mists taking them all over at the whims of the Dark Powers.

_________________
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk


Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:24 pm
Profile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:08 pm
Posts: 450
Location: United States of Whatever
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
Every module has a method to get the PCs to the right spot at the beginning that can be used whether the PCs are in Ravenloft or not. It's usually something involving the Mists rising up and obscuring their vision, then clearing out when they're deposited in the new domain. As both Souragne and Har'Akir have no physical connection to each other (or to the Core), this is really the only viable method of transport available anyway (even hiring the Vistani for transport would basically involve this).

_________________
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com


Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:02 pm
Posts: 6529
Location: New Jersey
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
If you don't want to just do "the mists rise up" or (as some have done) move everything to the Core, near each other, you could still use the vistani. The Tribe of Hsykosa (whose eventual raunie, Valana, appears in NotWD) wants the conjunction to come to pass, and may forsee that the PCs need to "help" it happen. Alternately, the rest of the vistani probably don't want it to happen, and might think that getting the PCs to the right place at the right time might/will stop the conjunction from happening, or cause it to fail.

_________________
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."


Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 am
Profile WWW
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:48 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: It's dark and I hear laughing.
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
Also remember that the modules themselves take place over a period of five years (736-740 BC), so it's possible the players could travel to each domain themselves following rumors or even on an unrelated quest that can't be finished until they deal with what's going on.

_________________
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."


Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 pm
Profile
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 81
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
I actually modified the order..and put ship of horror as the second adventure. So, they found the Endurance in Port d'elhour. If the Pc's really want to leave the Island, they'll take the trip. You don't need to use the whole adventure, just the ghost encounters, and maybe the recovery of the corpses to "help" the captain. Ignore the ghost ship, the whole Graben Island and Meredoth.
Once they are at the core. you can proceed as you see fit. Maybe they could get in a port near Kartakass and start Feast of Goblyns...once FoG is finished, they may find the "helpful" vistani that will carry them to Har'Akir by accident :P


Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:17 pm
Profile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:00 am
Posts: 787
Location: Falentei, the Lands of Fire and Darkness
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
TheSalemlord wrote:
I actually modified the order..and put ship of horror as the second adventure. So, they found the Endurance in Port d'elhour. If the Pc's really want to leave the Island, they'll take the trip. You don't need to use the whole adventure, just the ghost encounters, and maybe the recovery of the corpses to "help" the captain. Ignore the ghost ship, the whole Graben Island and Meredoth.
Once they are at the core. you can proceed as you see fit. Maybe they could get in a port near Kartakass and start Feast of Goblyns...once FoG is finished, they may find the "helpful" vistani that will carry them to Har'Akir by accident :P


Just make sure you also modify the prophecy as Azalin purposely swaps the final two to suit his needs for disrupting the process. Leaving the wording as is but rotating the order to suit your personal needs will screw up the situation unintentionally. Not sure if every realizes this, but it is something you don't want to be caught on by with the players figuring it out.

_________________
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk


Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:48 pm
Profile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:07 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Denver CO
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
I'm running just wrapping the walking dead up. The group left after the adventure and went to Port de Hour, I continued the wrap up there with them becoming involved with religious group which had corrupted the Jean and giving him the clues leading to the scroll. The second adventure has the gypsy entry which guides the group into mist and accidently enter Har Akir. Im planning my group getting on a ship and travelling to monettes island first than Har Akir.

I am modifying my entry something to do with trolls and the temple of Set from the Video game that takes place there.


Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:34 am
Profile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:48 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: It's dark and I hear laughing.
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
Dark Angel wrote:
Just make sure you also modify the prophecy as Azalin purposely swaps the final two to suit his needs for disrupting the process. Leaving the wording as is but rotating the order to suit your personal needs will screw up the situation unintentionally. Not sure if every realizes this, but it is something you don't want to be caught on by with the players figuring it out.


Did he swap those two on purpose? I always got the impression he did it accidentally by rushing things due to impatience. If he swapped them on purpose, that would be a truly imbecilic move for someone of his intelligence.

_________________
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."


Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:08 pm
Profile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:00 am
Posts: 787
Location: Falentei, the Lands of Fire and Darkness
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
High Priest Mikhal wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:
Just make sure you also modify the prophecy as Azalin purposely swaps the final two to suit his needs for disrupting the process. Leaving the wording as is but rotating the order to suit your personal needs will screw up the situation unintentionally. Not sure if every realizes this, but it is something you don't want to be caught on by with the players figuring it out.


Did he swap those two on purpose? I always got the impression he did it accidentally by rushing things due to impatience. If he swapped them on purpose, that would be a truly imbecilic move for someone of his intelligence.


He swapped them out purposely at the end to disrupt the prophecy (so he could leave his prison). That is why he is as behind the scenes in both From the Shadows and Roots of Evil, he always knew what he was doing (or how to get the players to do what he wanted them to do). Pretty sure he was keeping Hysoka's spirit (the previous incarnation of the Dukkar) contained at his castle. Feel free to correct these facts (to anyone), but I am confident that was his goal.

_________________
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk


Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:14 pm
Profile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:48 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: It's dark and I hear laughing.
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
Dark Angel wrote:
He swapped them out purposely at the end to disrupt the prophecy (so he could leave his prison). That is why he is as behind the scenes in both From the Shadows and Roots of Evil, he always knew what he was doing (or how to get the players to do what he wanted them to do). Pretty sure he was keeping Hysoka's spirit (the previous incarnation of the Dukkar) contained at his castle. Feel free to correct these facts (to anyone), but I am confident that was his goal.


Mistipedia and DoD simply say that the last two signs occurred out of order because of Azalin's meddling. No clarification if he meant to force them out of order or it was an unforeseen--on his part--result of his actions.

_________________
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."


Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:27 pm
Profile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 am
Posts: 311
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
These are some fantastic ideas, and great points all around.

I really like being reminded that this all occurs in a multiple year period, leaving travel time less of an issue. I have no real problem with the mists rising up as well, it's just that that has occurred to this group a couple of times already and at some stage it loses its punch.

As for using "Ship" at the end of "Dead," I wonder how much meddling I would have to do to make the levels work out.

Hmmm.

Possibly have the Fraternity of Shadows contact the PCs and point them in the right direction? I am kind of interested in having them move to the next thing in as mundane a way as possible.

_________________
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate
Website: highlevelgames.ca

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.


Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:00 am
Posts: 787
Location: Falentei, the Lands of Fire and Darkness
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
Quinntonia wrote:
I really like being reminded that this all occurs in a multiple year period, leaving travel time less of an issue. I have no real problem with the mists rising up as well, it's just that that has occurred to this group a couple of times already and at some stage it loses its punch.

As for using "Ship" at the end of "Dead," I wonder how much meddling I would have to do to make the levels work out.
Possibly have the Fraternity of Shadows contact the PCs and point them in the right direction? I am kind of interested in having them move to the next thing in as mundane a way as possible.


I would think the Kargat would be a better middleman for the group given their directives, operational range, and resources. One thing I used for my group was the passage of time. In their early levels, they had lives and (more or less) jobs they did to support themselves and occupy their time. A season or two would pass with nothing of significance occurring and they would then be called up for an adventure or twelve.

I know many have complained about the adventure Ship of Horrors high level. Making Meredoth lower level (I heard 12th, but that may be a bit too low for one who creates as much as he does) and toning down or eliminating encounters outright can salvage the situational issues with an adventure series that includes Touch of Death and Night of the Walking Dead as introductory level adventures. My take on adventures is what needs to be done or overcome and not really what needs to be destroyed or killed off.

_________________
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk


Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:44 am
Profile
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 81
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
Quinntonia wrote:
As for using "Ship" at the end of "Dead," I wonder how much meddling I would have to do to make the levels work out.


Basically, you convert the Ship of Horror in a "Ghost Story".

Victimize the Captain. Make him look as a tormented man.

The PC's are trapped until they help the Captain lift the curse.

No need for the Ghoul Filled Ship.

The Underwater encounters: I've changed the Shark Skeletons for Zombie Sharks...but you could use a couple of Lacedons. (aquatic ghouls) or Jolly Rogers; this is a huge opportunity to use any aquatic monster, also not need to be an undead creature... after all they just came out of NotWD. Maybe all the corpses were thrown in and old ship graveyard, or near the remains of an ancient naval battle known only by the Captain.

The Starfish encounter is quite blown. And is there only to show the auto-repair ability of the Endurance. However I use it and changed the starfish for an "impossible to defeat aquatic Lovecraftian monster"... but it was a cinematic scene mostly. You can ignore it or even better; change it for a storm just to damage the Endurance and show the repairing effect.

Graben Island: Just use it as the background place the bodies were loaded, then use a core domain as replacement for Todstein. Say...Kartakass for commodity reasons to begin the Feast of Goblyns next.

If you ignore Todstein, you don't need to include Meredoth.


Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:13 pm
Profile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 am
Posts: 311
Post Re: Grand Conjunction Problems
So speaking of "Dead," my PCs are slightly higher level than they should be for this encounter, and so I am going to make the zombies no stronger, but infectious. Easy to kill, but you have to make some kind of save when you are hit. Thoughts?

_________________
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate
Website: highlevelgames.ca

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.


Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ewancummins and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.