Grand Conjunction Problems

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Grand Conjunction Problems

Post by Quinntonia »

I think four, each at four hours.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Grand Conjunction Problems

Post by Quinntonia »

So finally had the great big final combat, which I ran in the crypt of the big church building.

First, I had to get really creative to introduce a new character while they were in a dungeon crawl. Not to get into all of the details, basically I had a Falkovnian Talon with an Intelligent Sword join the group. Basically, his backstory was that he is an incredibly loyal, completely focused L/E type that was assigned by Vlad to hunt down and join the group in order to find out anything and everything that he can after Vlad had captured a Kargat spy and tortured the fact that Azalin was very interested in this group, and inadvertently, that the Fraternity of Shadows and Strahd are also interested, with people like Harkon Lucas interacting with them as well. Given that he refused to be left out, he did his very "blunt instrument" style of espionage, and ordered his Talon to track them down, offer to join them and further their goals while learning everything he can about what hey are up to and reporting back until his orders change.

The player has an intelligent sword named "The Father," that houses the soul of a dead cleric that is hoping to use this opportunity of being trapped to save the soul of this one Talon over time and turn him to the cause of light. The player is just now learning the various powers and personality of the weapon. I figure that the sword somehow has trapped the soul of the former party member and cleric who is trying to help his friends from beyond the grave and do this work.

So yeah.

Anyhoo, had to have him roleplay riding and interrogating all the way through the core until he finally started to get close and tracked them down just for the final climax in the story.

Of course, there was the usual pissing contest, and really fun interaction between the Darkonian knight who in his backstory has lands near the Falkovnian border and family died in the various wars, and the newcomer.

Once the group decided to work together, they entered into the crypt and first faced the incredibly deadly floating skull who straight up kills folks if they fail a saving throw, turning them into an undead, though that isn't immediately apparent. The Druid got that. Immediately following that combat, they had Radaga show up and attack them, and since she had full control over all undead in her realm, she simply had the Druid fall to the floor unconscious for now, taking their only spellcaster out of the fight. She quickly went down to the group, but didn't strike the final blow while wearing the crown and so I had Deagon appear immediately after this. and the fight with an incredibly high level spellcaster began again. During this whole time the room was spinning and the roof had blown off, Wizard of Oz style, and thus they had to make a balance check to move, and another to attack, or be knocked to the ground, overcome with vertigo, etc.

Eventually, and after multiple players came within a single failed check or successful attack of death, the mage was put down and began to dissolve, while the crypt "landed" and they came face to face with the elf that had been freed from fighting the mage in the Crown of Souls. The elf then gave the Druid the gift of life, and thanked the party for saving the Core before disappearing.

They then exited the crypt to blue skies and tweeting birds, with a salty smell of the sea in the air.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.