Grand Conjunction Problems

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Grand Conjunction Problems

Post by Quinntonia »

I'm still reeling.

The room literally screamed vampire at them. Like literally literally.

I reserve the right to mock them mercilessly when this comes out.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

I chose to run the series in the order that is dictated by the adventure level rather than a straight chronological order.
Night of walking Dead
Touch of Death
Feast of Goblins
Ship of Horror
From the Shadows
Roots of Evil.
Because of this, I've had to employ the "mists" to transport the PC's through time and space to do the first two modules as they actually take place AFTER Feast of Goblyns. Once my party finish Feast of Goblins I believe they will be expecting the mists to "Rise up" again to whisk them off to the next part of the prophecy, but alas, this will not be the case as from this point forward the events of the Hyskosa prophecy happen is the order listed above.

One thing I noticed when I checked the actual timeline of the prophecy is there's a whole year between Feast of Goblyns and the Ship of Horror, so I've decided to give the group a large amount of downtime in order to "find their feet" a little. I'm planning on the Great Rudolph Van Richten contacting the group and inviting them to come to Mordentshire as he has taken a great interest in their activities. He will actually be the catalyst for them moving onto the Ship of Horror module, aswell as a great source of info on the lands, people and general differences that make Ravenlodt so special.
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

Yeah, I have done the same thing, except, I haven't moved them backwards in time. Though, I have begun to drop hints that between each adventure much time has gone by.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
vachtor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by vachtor »

I'm also playing with time a bit in mine. In between Ship and Feast (running WD, Ship, then Feast) I introduced an interlude where the Vistana are showing them a vision of the past. When they emerge from this meeting, a full year will have passed.

I'm really trying to play up the interaction of the mists and time/space by having most times they enter the mists they will be transported somewhere or somewhen else, unless they have a guide.

At the end of Feast there will likely be another time jump to set up my next events (and to give enough time for other things to have occured).
Have fun,

V
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

I have just read through the "Death" trilogy (Death Unchained, Death Ascendant and Death Ascending) and can't wait to run this as my interlude. I think these adventures are some of the best I have seen from the Ravenloft ones.
If anyone else has run through any would you be so kind as to let me know how well you thought it played or any problems you felt needed to be addressed.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

jimjams wrote:I have just read through the "Death" trilogy (Death Unchained, Death Ascendant and Death Ascending) and can't wait to run this as my interlude. I think these adventures are some of the best I have seen from the Ravenloft ones.
If anyone else has run through any would you be so kind as to let me know how well you thought it played or any problems you felt needed to be addressed.
I'm assuming you mean Death Undaunted as the third one? In any case, discussion on this trilogy might warrant a separate thread of its own.
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

The Lesser Evil wrote:
jimjams wrote:I have just read through the "Death" trilogy (Death Unchained, Death Ascendant and Death Ascending) and can't wait to run this as my interlude. I think these adventures are some of the best I have seen from the Ravenloft ones.
I'm assuming you mean Death Undaunted as the third one? In any case, discussion on this trilogy might warrant a separate thread of its own.
Apologies, I have just checked and the 3rd adventure in the Grim Harvest Trilogy is called Death Triumphant(Requiem Box set).
I do plan to run the first two as an interlude then once the GC happens they will have to travel to Necropolis to do the last installment of the harvest.
In Death Unchained the EH have daggers called Death Shards but in the next one (Death Ascendant), they are called Blood Blades, Is there a specific reason for this as I was planning to just have them be of one type so as not to confuse my players and give them a better focus on the EH.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

jimjams wrote:[
In Death Unchained the EH have daggers called Death Shards but in the next one (Death Ascendant), they are called Blood Blades, Is there a specific reason for this as I was planning to just have them be of one type so as not to confuse my players and give them a better focus on the EH.
There's a side bar explaining it on page. 22 of Death Ascendant. Basically, all the death shards outside of the destroyed lair were transformed into blood blades.
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

The Lesser Evil wrote:
jimjams wrote:[
There's a side bar explaining it on page. 22 of Death Ascendant. Basically, all the death shards outside of the destroyed lair were transformed into blood blades.
Yeah I saw that , but seeing as they pretty much do exactly the same thing i'm unsure why the change was needed in the first place?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

jimjams wrote:
The Lesser Evil wrote:I'm assuming you mean Death Undaunted as the third one? In any case, discussion on this trilogy might warrant a separate thread of its own.
Apologies, I have just checked and the 3rd adventure in the Grim Harvest Trilogy is called Death Triumphant(Requiem Box set).
For the record, jimjams, the Death Undaunted that Lesser Evil refers to is the unofficial 4th part of the trilogy, written by John Mangrum, and available in our Library.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
jimjams wrote:
The Lesser Evil wrote:I'm assuming you mean Death Undaunted as the third one? In any case, discussion on this trilogy might warrant a separate thread of its own.
For the record, jimjams, the Death Undaunted that Lesser Evil refers to is the unofficial 4th part of the trilogy, written by John Mangrum, and available in our Library.
Yeah sorry, I found it recently online. I didn't even know a 4th part even existed.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

jimjams wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: For the record, jimjams, the Death Undaunted that Lesser Evil refers to is the unofficial 4th part of the trilogy, written by John Mangrum, and available in our Library.
Yeah sorry, I found it recently online. I didn't even know a 4th part even existed.
I think I'm right in saying (and hoping to be corrected if I'm not) that while the 4th adventure is unofficial, the events within it have been made canon by Gaz 2 referring to them, the Drowning Dreams, the return of Azalin etc
jimjams
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jimjams »

thekristhomas wrote:
jimjams wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: For the record, jimjams, the Death Undaunted that Lesser Evil refers to is the unofficial 4th part of the trilogy, written by John Mangrum, and available in our Library.
I think I'm right in saying (and hoping to be corrected if I'm not) that while the 4th adventure is unofficial, the events within it have been made canon by Gaz 2 referring to them, the Drowning Dreams, the return of Azalin etc
I believe so, I haven't yet had a chance to read through it as trying to work through the issues of Death unchained conversion into 5e :)
vachtor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by vachtor »

Looking ahead to the later events of the GC, I've been taking a look at the 5e MM (book, not Jester's) and am troubled by the differences in CR for my main villains in the climatic battle, specifically:

Arcanoloth CR 12
Spellcaster Vampire CR 15
Lich (not in lair) CR 21!!!

I know that I can play with things a bit, and I know that when they face Azalin in FtS he WANTS to lose, but that's a huge difference in CR.

Just something I noticed and will need to adjust, thought I'd bring it up here...
Have fun,

V
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

vachtor wrote:Looking ahead to the later events of the GC, I've been taking a look at the 5e MM (book, not Jester's) and am troubled by the differences in CR for my main villains in the climatic battle, specifically:

Arcanoloth CR 12
Spellcaster Vampire CR 15
Lich (not in lair) CR 21!!!

I know that I can play with things a bit, and I know that when they face Azalin in FtS he WANTS to lose, but that's a huge difference in CR.

Just something I noticed and will need to adjust, thought I'd bring it up here...

Just do a quick conversion of Azalin's stats to 3rd edition or I think he was in Secrets of the Dread Realms. Should still work just fine against 5th edition and just adjust xp