Help with Death Unchained Intro

Discussing all things Ravenloft
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Help with Death Unchained Intro

Post by TheSalemlord »

Hi,
Obviously the Fraternity is the best place to ask so...

I'm looking for some advice or ideas to introduce the players into the Death Unchained (also the Grim Harvest :azalin: ) without recurring to the funeral scene and the Mists kidnap since they are currently natives of the dread realm (and because its getting old).
VIEW CONTENT:
Characters are in a funeral, be they part of the ceremony or just witness, then something happens, mist arise and kidnap the characters leaving them in the middle of a square or plaza with a literal forest of stakes with impaled people in Lekar, Falkovinia.

I would like to keep the square scene...problem is how to get there without the mist kidnap.
Thanks in advance! :D
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Help with Death Unchained Intro

Post by Dark Angel »

I am assuming it isn't as simple of a thing as, "Just have them go to Falkovnia."

Depending on how often it occurs, the current party's location, and the composition of the party, the easiest way is to enlist some Vistani to take them via the mists. Either have some arrangement that leaves the group high and dry or give the troupe a reason to travel to Falkovnia (maybe they need help to liberate a trapped Vistani) and need the group for assistance. I am pretty sure darklings cannot mist travel, then the slavery/gladiator subplot is right there. Tacking a higher level anchorite onto the party does open an avenue for mist travel and install a similar subplot into the adventure (then have the cleric grabbed, killed, or whatever prior to the beginning of the adventure). Creating a chase with the group inadvertently hitting a mistway (or being present when one is opened up) could work, but that may still be too close to the mists taking over their travel plans. Without more information about the party and its location, this is what I got.

Ps- I am not too thrilled with the idea of 'The Mists took you!' either as a common method of getting them from point A to B.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

Hehe, wish it was so easy as just have them go to Falkovnia.

The Party roster: Human Paladin of the Morning Lord, Half-Vistani Bard, Half-Elf Ranger, and Human Fighter.

Right now they are in Barovia solving a zombie infestation problem, based on the first part of the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.
Originally I wanted to play the plot in that book, but they just ignored the hooks, Irena and the whole thing for "personal" quest. (Paladin was afflicted with Lycantrophy and the rest of the group wanted to fix him first...against his will) So they left the Village and later were absorbed by the mist to be involved in the Evil Eye. They returned like 6 months later to the village... Town was a zombie mess. So I've change the whole thing. The Zombie Infestation has nothing to do with Strahd, he is trying to "fix it". So using his disguise as Lord Vasili Von Holtz, he casually confiscate their family properties and lands (Paladin and Bard are natives of Barovia, they are brother and sister) while they were away, and now offering the lands as a prize to the "heroes" for "clearing" the Village.

They are in good terms with the Zarovan in Tser Falls, they helped the paladin with the Lycanthropy, so they repaid them with their aid in the Evil Eye Plot. The problem with the Rescue a Vistani hook is that they are starting to think of them as a Cab Service...something I want to evade too.

The Anchorite Idea sounds nice...but still has the problem of the mist took you.
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

They still have to fight the corrupted cleric and his Zombie son.(EtCR)
I was thinking to add some kind of connection with this cleric and the Ebon Fold...or the Kargat. Maybe in his desperate need to revive his son, he was contacted by someone of these factions with promises of reviving his son, and then starting the zombie plague just to destroy the village and troll Strahd and his perfect order.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

TheSalemlord wrote: They are in good terms with the Zarovan in Tser Falls, they helped the paladin with the Lycanthropy, so they repaid them with their aid in the Evil Eye Plot. The problem with the Rescue a Vistani hook is that they are starting to think of them as a Cab Service...something I want to evade too.
I hear ya about all of that. You could take their trust of Vistani, or a darkling (again up to you and general rule consensus), and have the group get suckered by them. Rob their effects, leave them high and dry in hostile or unfamiliar lands (and as a darkling, they could be getting back at the allies of their former peoples).
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

There's also the possibility of moving the adventure to a different domain. One of Nova Vaasa's cities, for example, could make a good stand-in for Lekar if your demi-humans balk, or perhaps Teufeldorf or Zeidenberg in the former Gundarak (while it might not be Azalin's best plan to have the Ebon Fold operating under Strahd's nose, the Lich King might still appreciate the chaos they can foment in the land of his nemesis) with Strahd's occupying troops standing in for the Talons.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Garudos Celestar wrote:There's also the possibility of moving the adventure to a different domain. One of Nova Vaasa's cities, for example, could make a good stand-in for Lekar if your demi-humans balk, or perhaps Teufeldorf or Zeidenberg in the former Gundarak (while it might not be Azalin's best plan to have the Ebon Fold operating under Strahd's nose, the Lich King might still appreciate the chaos they can foment in the land of his nemesis) with Strahd's occupying troops standing in for the Talons.
Not a bad idea (I thought of this too), but what would be the Radiant Tower replacement/substitute?

I didn't want to tinker with the infrastructure of the domain too much or it loses it's identity too much.
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

Dark Angel wrote:
TheSalemlord wrote: They are in good terms with the Zarovan in Tser Falls, they helped the paladin with the Lycanthropy, so they repaid them with their aid in the Evil Eye Plot. The problem with the Rescue a Vistani hook is that they are starting to think of them as a Cab Service...something I want to evade too.
I hear ya about all of that. You could take their trust of Vistani, or a darkling (again up to you and general rule consensus), and have the group get suckered by them. Rob their effects, leave them high and dry in hostile or unfamiliar lands (and as a darkling, they could be getting back at the allies of their former peoples).
Mmm..now that i remember, they bought some of the concoctions to pass the poisonous mist from one vistani merchant NPC that was around the mercenary/adventurers camp and guard barricades that I put near the entrance of the village. The Vistana claimed to be Zarovan when they met him...however he was alone and they never saw him in Tser Falls, the guy was quite shady, so this could help with the darkling idea.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

My only concern is can a darkling use mist navigation? I know they lose their connection, but they still retain the evil eye and other minor abilities. I should check the Van Richten Guide, but I am pretty sure that answer is no. The players don't have to know that (and even if they do, just say who said this was Vistani Mist travel?), but it is ultimately your prerogative. How dare you do something to reduce the monotony of their gaming experience!
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

Dark Angel wrote:
Garudos Celestar wrote:There's also the possibility of moving the adventure to a different domain. One of Nova Vaasa's cities, for example, could make a good stand-in for Lekar if your demi-humans balk, or perhaps Teufeldorf or Zeidenberg in the former Gundarak (while it might not be Azalin's best plan to have the Ebon Fold operating under Strahd's nose, the Lich King might still appreciate the chaos they can foment in the land of his nemesis) with Strahd's occupying troops standing in for the Talons.
Not a bad idea (I thought of this too), but what would be the Radiant Tower replacement/substitute?

I didn't want to tinker with the infrastructure of the domain too much or it loses it's identity too much.
Moving the adventure to a different domain is not a bad idea. But I really want to use Lekar. I want to introduce them to Falkovnia and Dracov. Mostly because the Paladin has some background history with Vlad... The Paladin has some kind of amnesia so his past is blurry, he often have dreams about his mother get killed by a menacing guy (Drakov). the dreams become more real each time, and until now he only sees the dark silhouette of the guy. The Paladin still doesn't know this but he is one of those bastard sons of Drakov. (Lol, the character and the player also have certain resemblance with the Darklord).
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

Dark Angel wrote: How dare you do something to reduce the monotony of their gaming experience!
XD, hahaha.

I'll use the Darkling approach. Guess I'll have to work with the mists once more. Maybe a heavy rain (one of those that blur the sight of all the things ahead.)

We play tonight, but they still have to deal with the Barovian zombie infestation. So I hope to have some time to develop it right.

Thank you for the help guys! :D
Atma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Atma »

Dark Angel wrote:My only concern is can a darkling use mist navigation? I know they lose their connection, but they still retain the evil eye and other minor abilities. I should check the Van Richten Guide, but I am pretty sure that answer is no. The players don't have to know that (and even if they do, just say who said this was Vistani Mist travel?), but it is ultimately your prerogative. How dare you do something to reduce the monotony of their gaming experience!
A darkling is cursed to remain in one locality until their mortal remains are given a funeral by their kin (otherwise they rise up as a ghast or a wraith), or are absolved of their crimes (unlikely), so they can not mist navigate, even if they knew how to.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Atma wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:My only concern is can a darkling use mist navigation? I know they lose their connection, but they still retain the evil eye and other minor abilities. I should check the Van Richten Guide, but I am pretty sure that answer is no. The players don't have to know that (and even if they do, just say who said this was Vistani Mist travel?), but it is ultimately your prerogative. How dare you do something to reduce the monotony of their gaming experience!
A darkling is cursed to remain in one locality until their mortal remains are given a funeral by their kin (otherwise they rise up as a ghast or a wraith), or are absolved of their crimes (unlikely), so they can not mist navigate, even if they knew how to.
Yeah, I checked in on that for my own game a few days ago (and forgot about this post). Thanks for double checking my math, Atma.
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hamiclar »

The Knight of the Shadow approach of the group possibly being hired to get a family out of city and discovering them impaled already and continue the adventure from there.
TheSalemlord
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by TheSalemlord »

Hamiclar wrote:The Knight of the Shadow approach of the group possibly being hired to get a family out of city and discovering them impaled already and continue the adventure from there.
I like that! :D