3.X Grand Monster Index

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: 3.X Grand Monster Index

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I'll second the wow sentiments. Btw, what was your criterion on what made a creature suitable for Ravenloft or not?
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

The Lesser Evil wrote:I'll second the wow sentiments. Btw, what was your criterion on what made a creature suitable for Ravenloft or not?
First, I went off of official lists from things like the Realm of Terror "black box", the Monstrous Compendiums, and the Ravenloft Dungeon Master's Guide; then unofficial stuff like Mangrum's Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror, and this websites very own monster index. Then, I looked for creatures that were similar: undead, evil or malicious fey, shapechangers, fiends, constructs, any sort of variant of "creepy" animals (bats, wolves, spiders, snakes, etc.), goblinoids, carnivorous plants, evil aberrations, and so on. I also assumed that any sort of mundane animal would be found in the demiplane as well.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hengeyokai was missed from OA. (it's listed as an appropriate monster in Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium III)

Are you accepting entries from module random encounter tables and native monster sidebars from the gazetteers?

If so, the following monsters were missed:
Bulette (in Daglan, from Feast of Goblyns)
Ettin (Invidia, Gaz IV)
Gray Render (Falkovnia, Gaz II)
Harpy (the Shadow Rift/Gaz V, The Eyrie/Dungeon Magazine)
Manticore (Falkovnia, Gaz II)
Owl, Giant (Falkovnia, Kartakass, Mordent, the Shadow Rift, various Gazs)
Roper (Invidia and Sithicus, Gaz II, and, IIRC, a place in the Shadow Rift from the Shadow Rift module)
Shocker Lizard (Darkon and Hazlan, Gaz II/Gaz I)
Sprite (grig, nixie, pixe; all are native to Falkovnia, Tempest, and the Shadow Rift, and a couple of them are native to Valachan)
Wyvern (Falkovnia, Gaz II)
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Hengeyokai was missed from OA. (it's listed as an appropriate monster in Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium III)
Ah, shoot, you're right. Well, I did say I would end up updating it again at some point.
The Lesser Evil wrote:Are you accepting entries from module random encounter tables and native monster sidebars from the gazetteers?

If so, the following monsters were missed:
Bulette (in Daglan, from Feast of Goblyns)
Ettin (Invidia, Gaz IV)
Gray Render (Falkovnia, Gaz II)
Harpy (the Shadow Rift/Gaz V, The Eyrie/Dungeon Magazine)
Manticore (Falkovnia, Gaz II)
Owl, Giant (Falkovnia, Kartakass, Mordent, the Shadow Rift, various Gazs)
Roper (Invidia and Sithicus, Gaz II, and, IIRC, a place in the Shadow Rift from the Shadow Rift module)
Shocker Lizard (Darkon and Hazlan, Gaz II/Gaz I)
Sprite (grig, nixie, pixe; all are native to Falkovnia, Tempest, and the Shadow Rift, and a couple of them are native to Valachan)
Wyvern (Falkovnia, Gaz II)
I had considered it, but some of them are a little too specific to their locations and might not be appropriate elsewhere (like Hazlan's manticores or the lizard folk that can be found in the Shadow Rift). I suppose I could mark creatures like that as rare or only found in certain places with an * or some other special character.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Bluebomber4evr wrote: I had considered it, but some of them are a little too specific to their locations and might not be appropriate elsewhere (like Hazlan's manticores or the lizard folk that can be found in the Shadow Rift). I suppose I could mark creatures like that as rare or only found in certain places with an * or some other special character.
You might want to do that anyway, as your list already includes some creatures seemingly very specific/limited in use. (For instance, ankheg, ethereal marauders, griffon, hippogriff, pegasi, unicorns, etc.)