Post by ewancummins »

Barovian Vampyr-Hunter
specialty priest

requirements:
lawful good
human
WIS 12

weapons: club, crossbow, dagger, hatchet, knife/stiletto, mace, warhammer

If proficient in either dagger or knife/stiletto, the Vampyr Hunter may use a wooden stake in melee without penalty, as a stone dagger.
If proficient in club or warhammer, he may use his mallet as a club in melee without penalty

armor: any

powers:

detect undead: 60’ cone effect, once per day per two levels

turn undead

resist energy drain (+1 to saving throws versus energy drain. If no save is normally allowed, the Vampyr Hunter may roll a saving throw at -4 penalty)

at 7th level: immunity to charm effects of vampires’ gaze

Spheres:
major access
All, Combat, Guardian, Healing, Necromancy, Protection, Sun, Wards
minor access
Creation, Divination

recommended NWP: animal handling, carpentry, healing, herbalism, local history, land-based riding, religion, R/W Balok

The Vampyr-Hunters trace their origins to defunct Barovian religious orders. Most of these clerics reside in lands bordering Barovia and make forays into the domain, hunting vampires and other monsters.

NOTE: I designed this class using the guidelines in PO: Spells and Magic.

The only things not balanced by points is the bit about wielding stakes and mallets in melee.
But I'd allow other characters to use those items as improvised weapons at reduced penalty if they were proficient with similar weapons.

I might add some required NWP or a nuisance-level hindrance of some sort, just to offset the added flexibility of these improvised weapon options.

Maybe they trip the 'paladin alarm' at name level (or maybe even 7th, when the class gains immunity to vampire gaze), but only for vampire darklords? Since they don't carry holy swords, they won't be pinpointed by the darklord, but Strahd or another vampire DL would sense a troubling disturbance when a powerful vampyr-hunter had entered his domain.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Barovian Vampyr-Hunters for AD&D 2E

Post by ewancummins »

POSSIBLE EDIT:

I may swap the accesses of Healing and Divination.
It might be more thematically appropriate for the class to gain powerful divination at higher levels.
I really like find the path and stone tell for these guys.

And not every priest needs to be a heal-bot.

I may also assume a wider geographic distribution for these clerics.
For any future 2E gaming, I'll likely lean on the Black Box, with its relatively smaller, less populous Core. Fewer people overall=fewer clerics.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

ewancummins wrote:Barovian Vampyr-Hunter
specialty priest

The Vampyr-Hunters trace their origins to defunct Barovian religious orders. Most of these clerics reside in lands bordering Barovia and make forays into the domain, hunting vampires and other monsters.

NOTE: I designed this class using the guidelines in PO: Spells and Magic.

The only things not balanced by points is the bit about wielding stakes and mallets in melee.
But I'd allow other characters to use those items as improvised weapons at reduced penalty if they were proficient with similar weapons.

I might add some required NWP or a nuisance-level hindrance of some sort, just to offset the added flexibility of these improvised weapon options.

Maybe they trip the 'paladin alarm' at name level (or maybe even 7th, when the class gains immunity to vampire gaze), but only for vampire darklords? Since they don't carry holy swords, they won't be pinpointed by the darklord, but Strahd or another vampire DL would sense a troubling disturbance when a powerful vampyr-hunter had entered his domain.
From my once-over it looks to me like you owe 10 CPs. So to get them paid for, and more importantly, to add some extra flavour to the class, why not blend it all together?

If you add Difficult Spell Acquisition (5) and Ceremony/Observance (5), then you're out of debt.

These can be storied as the priest in question having to pray in Barovia (in either an existing church or, better yet for the hunter, secretly in the ruins of a bygone church) once a month, during daylight, for their spells, after which they are "recharged" for the following month. After two weeks pass, they lose access to their minor spheres, and their access to major spheres is downgraded to minor. Two more weeks without prayer and they lose them too. They still have to pray daily to tap into this holy charge (prepare their spells, receive insight, whatever you want to call it).

If you add Talisman/Symbol (8), then it becomes a bone for your PC in that they can travel outside of Barovia for longer periods of time. But this symbol too needs to be recharged periodically in Barovia. Quarterly, twice a year, whatever. This could also be a quest item for your PC, and involve exploring the shadows and ruins of Barovia...and its esoteric past.

The added bonus is that the PC will spiral towards an inevitable encounter with Strahd, once they gain more and more holy power (he and his minions/sycophantic Barovians will surely notice a mid-to-high level priest!). This essentially subs for your "paladin alarm".

Adding that will give you 8 CPs, which you can then spend on sonething else. Secret Language (5), and Proficiency Group Crossover (rogue) (5) stand out to me. I say rogue for access to Blind-fighting and Disguise ..useful skills, given their calling!

This leaves your players with 3CPs, if my math is correct.

I'm not looking to redesign your idea,; just throwing out a string of thoughts. Cool idea
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Thanks.

I'll double check the math. It might be that 15 point version of resist energy drain...

weapon options 5 points

turn undead 15

detect undead 10

energy drain resistance 15

charm immunity (vampire gaze) at 7th level 5

major spheres

all 5
combat 10
guardian 5
healing 10
necromantic 10
protection 10
sun 5
wards 10

minor spheres
creation 5
divination 5

It's 125 points total.
(No difference if I swap healing and divination)

So it's five points in the hole. I'll give it some thought...

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

You are right in that I was wrong about the Resist Energy Drain, but it turns out my math was off in other areas.

I gave you 80 points in Spheres when it should have been 75; I gave you 15 points in Weapon Selection (dagger, hatchet, knife) instead of the 5 for thief selections...which would have put you 20 under, instead of the stated 10.

But all that really means nothing. You got her.

Lesson for today? Check my homework before opening my lips about somebody else's. It's probably a good thing I work on the road and am not around to help with the kid's homework...! haha
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

HEAVILY REVISED VERSION

Barovian Vampyr-Hunter
specialty priest

requirements:
lawful good
human
WIS 12

weapons: dagger/wooden stake and all cleric/bludgeoning weapons

armor: studded leather or lighter

granted powers
detect undead: 60’ cone effect, once per day per two levels

turn undead

resist energy drain (+1 to saving throws versus energy drain. If no save is normally allowed, the Vampyr Hunter may roll a saving throw at -4 penalty)

2% magic resistance per level, versus undead casters only

at 4th level:
.........immunity to vampires’ gaze (and other undead creatures’ charm powers)

Spheres:
major access
All, Combat, Guardian, Healing, Necromancy, Protection, Sun
minor access
Divination, Water

Vampyr hunters have access to General, Priest, and Rogue NWP groups.

recommended NWPs
general: animal handling, carpentry, land-based riding
priest: healing, herbalism, religion, R/W Balok
rogue: alertness, blind-fighting disguise, local history, observation

They know a variation of the shillelagh spell that works on hawthorn stakes instead of oaken staves or clubs.

The limited magic resistance granted power comes from a Dragon Magazine Ravenloft S&P article.

Edit: I've revised spells and granted powers so that they can work together to create holy water (important!) and extend protection from evil effects to allies.