Revision to Ravenloft 3.5e at minmax forum

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Revision to Ravenloft 3.5e at minmax forum

Post by tomokaicho »

There is an ongoing revision for Ravenloft 3.5e at the minmax forum.
Between 2000 and 2005, Ravenloft was published as a 2nd party campaign setting by White Wolf (under its Sword&Sorcery imprint) under special license by WotC.

The fluff parts (especially the Gazetteers) were well-received in the Ravenloft fandom, but the crunch was mostly developed in the early 3.0 days, which were often overtly cautious about making things too powerful, mired in AD&D assumptions like Clerics=healbots (rather than CoDzillas) and for obvious reasons failed to account for later 3.5 developments like Tome of Battle. Especially virtually all of the prestige classes were straight downgrades from their base class, with all the hurdles to enter adding insult to injury. Also the Darklords leave much to desire as they are originally built, being push-overs for any moderately optimized character as soon as there isn't strong author fiat and DM fiat to save them.

The 3.5 update was also a rush-job still missing outdated skills like Wilderness Survival, failing to properly update and classify action types and being riddled with math errors.

The campaign setting is too good to leave it in such a state. I will go through it one crunchy bit at a time and revise it, also incorporating material outside Core such as Psionics or ToB.
Go and help out if you can. Or just get the fixed material.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Revision to Ravenloft 3.5e at minmax forum

Post by cure »

Bravo.

So far I have only had time to leave few comments concerning alchemy.
The cure for what ails you
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Revision to Ravenloft 3.5e at minmax forum

Post by Skyrock »

Gee, I wonder who could be behind it... Hadn't much time in the last few months, but it will move forward.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I