The counter monkey adventure of the Spoony Bard in Ravenloft

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2013/09/14/ ... qus_thread
"Betrayal? Nay! This is dark justice."Kortel Drana
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Sppony bard Counter Monkey Story

Post by Deewun »

While I don't agree with his assertion that Ravenloft got worse after the Grand Conjunction (the Grand Conjunction is what made me fall in love with the setting, personally), this was a great listen of a great story with an NPC necromancer I will definitely use in the future.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

For some reason, this is not working! A Batman quote (ish), Ravenloft content, and a hell of a host and I cannot watch it! Does anyone know if this will make it to his youtube channel? I do follow it regularly and saw this was posted only a few days ago.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Deewun wrote:While I don't agree with his assertion that Ravenloft got worse after the Grand Conjunction (the Grand Conjunction is what made me fall in love with the setting, personally),
Yeah, I disagree with him on that (though his analogy alluding to the Shadow Rift was amusing) and on the idea that RL isn't suited for long campaigns (*cough* *cough* 24 weekend-long sessions over 10 years *cough* and still going strong *cough*) or that MoTRD failed because of guns (or that it failed at all).

But he's dead-on on Strahd's character, (or his DM is, I should say) unlike some takes I've seen. :)

And I love this quote:
"In Ravenloft, for dramatic purposes, a lot of *@#$ will work... This guy just drank werewolf blood to save his own %#%, oh yeah it works... Even the Dark Powers are like: This is Ravenloft, yeah it works. Of course it does."

:)

A fun listen... thanks!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Just finished listening to the guy and at first wasn't sure if I'd like him again shadow rift, but gave it more time and began to like it.

Necromancer was just halarious. xD

Also good job Darth Strahd. You have found a new apprentice.... :D
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Re: The Spoony bard Counter Monkey Story

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I have followed Spoony's show quite regularly since 2007 or 2008, maybe, and it's pretty interesting to see how
his approach to D&D is pretty much unfettered by the usual mainstream. As in, he's not very consistent:

Loves Thieves World, adores Planescape, but at the same time doesn't like Greyhawk, and really, really, misunderstands Ravenloft. :azalin:

Still, the best D&D commentary show out there; as far as I am concerned, the kid should be on TV. :lucas:
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Spoony bard Counter Monkey Story

Post by Dark Angel »

Just caught this broadcast (had to watch it at work, shhh I won't tell if you don't tell) and was very impressed. While some of his bits are very one-sided and somewhat jaded, they are biased for a reason. Yeah, he is a player (and a paladin at that) in the hellhole we all love. His DM was great and the necromancer (who should have had a way rougher time) was awesome. The solution I would have come up with (given the character's background and skill set) was
VIEW CONTENT:
to have the necromancer attach his own leg (after cauterizing it sufficiently) and then reanimating it under his control. That way he could use it and would not succumb to lycanthropy. Granted having such a limb leaves him wide open to Evil Dead II humor and undead controllers powerful enough to exert their will over the necromancer's, but I would have been more willing to allow for that then a nonpotion solution.
Also, when did Chill Touch scare the undead exactly?
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk