Those meddling kids

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Those meddling kids

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I've been looking at Scooby Doo- and Captain Caveman-videos lately, and I got to thinking: what if the crimes of one of those cookie, costumed villains was enough to draw the attention of the Dark Powers, and one of those classic chase scenes led both villain and teen investigators into the Mists?
Imagine a group of typical meddling kids like Mystery Inc or the Teen Angels, having to come to grips with a world where the monsters aren't wearing rubber masks. Would they continue the hunt for a villain whose theatric trickery had paved the way for real magic through la Société de Ledgerdemain and the 'blessings' of the Dark Powers, or would they try to chase down the way home? What if a domain formed around a thieving, deceiving Scooby Doo-type villain? What would it be like?
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Those meddling kids

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Huh, well I'd think in general that the the DPs in general would ignore most of the banal, small-time con men and hoaxers the likes of which the teen investigators seem to go after. At minimum, I think you'd need them to be more dangerous, even murderous villains like the Spook, Dr. Hugo Strange, or Mysterio, villains with serious gaslighting techniques and weapons that mark them head and shoulders among typical Scooby Doo villains. So the kids surviving the already-out-of-their-league villains would serve as a taste of the horrors to come.

I could see two main reasons for the teens to chase after a fleeing villain from their world:
1) they assume the villain knows more about the world than they do
2) they assume that villain is somehow responsible for their transportation to the Mists and therefore by catching them, they may be able to return home.

I think, bar these reasons, the teens would have larger problems than catching the crook, both mundane (culture shock, sustaining themselves w/o modern amenities or money, language issues) and supernatural.There are a lot of greater evils in Ravenloft to worry about, and learning these harsh realities may kill a number of the teams, with the survivors dealing with considerable trauma and shock. After a few such encounters, smart survivors would likely try to seek help and guidance from a group or person more familiar with the land's dangers. The Van Richten Society would be a good source for such assistance, for example.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Obviously it would be a shock, but it is not the first time Scooby and friends face real supernatural, so, they will survive and thrive.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

A possible wrinkle to investigator teens appearing in Ravenloft might be that the ones more into science and constructing traps might be that they could try to hook up with Mordenheim, champion of (mad) science.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Where would they get more Scooby Snacks? :lol:
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

In the most recent incarnation of Staunton Bluff?