Shadow of the Knife- Canon or Netbook canon?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Shadow of the Knife- Canon or Netbook canon?

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I've been doing some editing of the wiki, and I'm wondering if Shadow of the Knife considered canon or netbook canon. Does anybody know?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Shadow of the Knife- Canon or Netbook canon?

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

It was produced during the time that the Kargatane had gotten the "offiicial" stamp from TSR/WotC and permission to officially continue the Ravenloft canon. I believe the intent was that it (and CotN:Demons) were to be officially canon. But, with that said, both of them say "Unofficial" right on their title pages... so maybe it's a bit murkier than that. Questionably canon?

ETA: hehe.... looks like I already went through this thought process and came up with a decree, albeit "announced" in a weird place:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Tal ... turnal_Sea
Can you confirm that CotN:Demons is canon? If so, there are a bunch of netbook-canon labels that need to pulled.Cure 00:18, 15 March 2010 (UTC)

Hmm... perhaps I was wrong on that point, since both CotN:D and SotK say on their front pages "An Unofficial Ravenloft (Adventure/Accessory)" Will have to dig into the history, maybe the wayback machine has a copy of the announcement.. but I guess it's safest to call them netbook canon for now. -- Gonzoron 18:53, 15 March 2010 (UTC)

And yet the CotN:D proposal guidelines said it would be an "official" product. Sadly, it seems the announcement naming them the official torch bearers of RL seems to have been somewhere between May '99 and Mar '00, a time period which the wayback machine is missing from its archives of the kargatane site. Well, unless corrected by the Kargatane themselves, I guess we go with the most recent information, which is the books themselves. They call themselves unofficial, so I guess they are. And hence netbook-canon. -- Gonzoron 02:22, 16 March 2010 (UTC)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Shadow of the Knife- Canon or Netbook canon?

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Not canon.

Although SotK particularly is only just shy of the line, and would have been canon had we got up to the Paridon gazetteer.