Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Random hooks thread

Post by Zettaijin »

H is for... Hope's End

(first mentioned in Gazetteer III)

Hope's End has its history, but few wish to remember it. Rather, its inhabitants prefer to live without much thought about their past. They are a border town, a place where travelers pass through and just like them life should be transient.

No one talks about the past, and so everyone forgot about the brother and sister who went missing in the woods so many long years ago. Their grieving parents demanded that their neighours aid in the search but none wished to go anywhere near the forest.

And certainly no one recognized them when they came back, now adults. Even their parents failed to recognize them and the siblings didn't bother reminding them. Yet, the whole town almost instinctively accepted them into the fold as residents despite their apparent outsider status.

Unlike the others, the are quite eager to talk about the ominous trees that lay beyond the town's borders and how the mysteries of the forest may not be what they seem. To travelers and those curious about the woods, they claim to have once entered as children and saw secrets they cannot remember. Of course they fear the place as much as any other local, but they argue that if travelers were to accompany them (especially those versed in the ways of the world), they could muster the courage to once again penetrate the woods.
Last edited by Zettaijin on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

I is for... Imp

Meet Iberna De LaPlace, a woman devoted to the arcane arts.

Now meet Ibrizza, the imp who helps channel the latter's inspiration into actual art.

Ibrizza has no doubt in her mind that she, not Iberna, is the true talent but the art world is not yet ready to embrace one of her kind and so she must resort to using the mage as a proxy.

The diminutive devil is fond of various medium but favors clay which she can mold into particularly intricate if not perplexingly abstract creations. When the mood strikes her, she also dabbles in writing and is actually quite prolific.

However, her prose is an acquired taste and she has a peculiar rivalry with a Shator author from Tepest. What started as an exchange of praises quickly turned into a battle of egos with both seeking to find a way to eliminate the other.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

J is for... Janvier, Alain and Nanette

(introduced in Children of the Night: Ghosts)

While crime brought them together, necromancy is slowly driving them apart. Nanette's quick progression in the arts - now eclipsing her husband in skill - has left Alain feeling rather envious.

Alain is eager to leave his tutelage under Delacourte and return to his old life as a petty criminal. It should be said that the dark arts have also proven rather tedious for him. Nanette isn't completely unaware of the strain on her marriage and is struggling to manage both her interest in necromancy and her increasingly frustrated husband.

In truth, she has been very diligent in observing Delacourte's plans and is considering eloping with Alain to begin their own "business venture", far from their master's eyes. But before that, they need capital.

Enter a mysterious benefactor who is willing to finance them in exchange for a few services...
Last edited by Zettaijin on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

K is for... Khardoon, Grandoch

(first introduced in the Forbidden Lore boxed set under Cryptic Allegiances)

They looked at him with unblinking milky eyes. None much bigger than a child of 8 yet clearly adults. Their voices were low rumbles and grating noises not unlike gravel being rubbed.

That is when they spoke at all.

They were guarding something, but what?

Those eyes, though... He was drowning now. The milk was smothering him. Can't breathe anymore...

Then he awoke at his abode with a few members of his expedition by his side. He had survived, yes, but now he could not stop thinking about those horrible little grey men and their empty eyes.

He sees them at every corner, peering at him from the shadows and invading his mind. Did they follow him? What do they want?
Last edited by Zettaijin on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Was thinking, if the hooks reference something obscure like the three necromancers from the CotN: Ghosts Nikolai Melentha adventure, listing the corresponding source would be helpful.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

Or, people could go on Mistipedia!

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Main_Page

I'll try and include a source from now on and edit my past posts on more obscure references.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

L is for... Lich

The ability to inspire, move, or otherwise provoke some manner of strong emotional response from others is something most will desire at some point in their lives. For some, this becomes a constant struggle and they thus pursue a career in fields such as politics or education. Some may even look to religion to sate their needs.

Given the implications of power and authority that come from such abilities, women often face undue difficulties introduced by jealous males and sometimes even females who, seeing the limited "seating" at the dinner tables of the powerful, decide to sabotage their peers' attempts.

Finding few avenues in which she could exercise influence over the hearts of others on a large scale, with the clergy promising her a role as caregiver at best and other spheres of life being even more reluctant to accept her, Sophia eventually turned to the arcane.

Of course, the bearded scholars and robed sages tended to be mostly males, yet there was a certain lack of discrimination among them. While a few may turn their nose at the idea of the "fairer sex", most are rather uninterested in such petty matters. Well, the serious ones anyway. As one of her teachers told her "In the world of the arcane, one comes to see how small and shallow are collective existence is. Man, woman, what does it matter when faced with the powers of the arcane?"

It took her years of dedicated study, but she made sufficient progress to be noticed by some of the more secretive and powerful arcane orders of the demiplane. Yet, she quickly found them to be far too aloof. It wasn't her so much as the power she wielded that interested them. They were not in awe so much as quietly approving her. Again, the words of her teacher rang true - such individuals inevitably detach themselves from the world.

In her quest to play the heart strings of others she began studying different kinds of orders, many of which took on more religious overtones and where the arcane took the form of deities and powerful beasts. A new universe which was not particularly popular among the more typical practitioners.

She came to learn the names of many cursed sages, doomed prophets, hedge wizards, witch doctors, and even supposedly mad sorcerers. All misunderstood and all made to be pariahs by their peers for daring to engage with the world.

Then she learned the name of Vecna...

Was he ever real? Was there ever such a person? Was it all a feverish dream? Did it really matter?

Among the secretive cults, orders, cabals and covens, Vecna was a name no one said in vain. Repulsive or fascinating, the name certainly never left anyone indifferent and THAT was precisely what Sophia wanted. She yearned to be such a person.

Years of research and endless quests for forbidden knowledge allowed her to prolong her existence long enough to gain the powers that would bring her ever closer to the arcane. She would be one with magic and see her physical form slowly wilt and decay, now an increasingly useless and much more bothersome vessel.

She was bursting at the seems with power but in her search for knowledge she neglected one thing: who would care?

Indeed, for as powerful as she was, her peers would mostly reject her and she quickly learned that some would actively seek to snuff her out! Ungratefulness never goes unpunished, but what is power without adoration or fear? Would she exile herself in her newfound thirst for even more knowledge like so many before her? Was this not the opposite of her initial goal?

No, unlike her peers, she would not succumb to the temptation of aloofness. While she may have escaped the mortal coil, she would not let go of her long cherished dreams.

But why her, she pondered? She was not naive - she knew she was not alone on this dark road. Others were even ahead of her, having started their own way long before her and upstarts could very well surpass her under the right conditions. Not to mention that some of her transgressions would have surely attracted the wrong kind of attention.

Vecna...

She came across the name by accident as she was perusing the shelves of some secret library maintained by an obscure order or monks. Her superior intellect allowed her to notice a few odd coincidences and patterns which initiates used to signal their allegiance to the supreme lich - Vecna.

The order had been a cover for a group of cultists who waited patiently for their master to once again bless them with his power. Sophia laughed. These men were pathetic and mostly ignorant of arcane matters, but perhaps through them she could insert herself within the cult. Yes, integrate it and overthrow it.

Sophia was no fool. Vecna was a myth, a name invented by men to give shape to power. Men love names, they love to show their power over the world by naming every thing they see or experience. As if the order of words allows them some manner of control over the overwhelming power they must contend with. Worms who play king.

So be it then, if a name can rule them, then she shall take it for herself. She would be their Vecna and that of others as well. The Cult of Vecna would spread its tendrils across the land until which time it could no longer be ignored or challenged.

She would assume control over all the cells and bring a true physical presence to the myth.

That is, her and a handful of other pretenders who found themselves intrigued by the idea of presiding over a cult. Surely you wouldn't think that she alone would undertake such a project?
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

M is for... Marbh-Cathair

(Marbh-Cathair was discussed in the entry for Keening in Gaz V)

When one meets Lorelei for the first time it is without a doubt her gaze that you will remember. I have worked for the woman more than my fair share of times, gathering long forgotten artifacts the value of which only she truly appreciates or perhaps settling some unresolved dispute with her "neighbours" in the Tepestian woods. Somehow, I always forget her face but never her eyes.

Never would I question the power she holds and she certainly makes no efforts to hide her endeavours in matters of life and death. Yet, something is different this time. I believe it was her voice; her usual constant pitch and steady if not altogether lifeless tone almost felt... human. Was that anger? Had it not been for my numerous encounters, the slight shift in intonation as she ended her sentences and the way her fingers curled would have gone unnoticed.

"Keening... Something was taken from me. It shall return. No doubt the cursed thieves have no means of comprehending that which they have absconded with. Their mistress has no need of this. She will, obviously, return it to my care immediately. I see no reason for this matter to not be resolved promptly. No doubt it is currently somewhere within Marbh-Cathair. All things in this land which were not touched by the Spider Queen find their way to the city. The land would have it no other way, you see."

Keening... Now you understand why I come to you for help. I'm in too deep. I've done too much and now I can't go back. I'm not without some measure of a plan, mind you. Lorelei cares a lot about this and armed me with both knowledge and tools for this particular task.

A city of the dead endlessly living their last days. Harmless, I'm told, but the "servants" may not approve of my presence. There is a way and I trust Lorelei entirely for if anyone would know of such things, it would be her.

But I'm nervous. I've dealt with some rather unsavory characters in those woods and I've seen things that still gnaw away at my soul to this very day, but this?

I need you... No, I need someone, anyone to hug me. Someone to hold me. I'm shivering and I see shadows from the corner of my eyes; floating about the room and the streets; slithering from behind houses and carriages, and hiding in trees and laying on the earth.

They know I'm coming. They already know everything...
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

N is for Naga

Ahska was even more cruel than your typical spirit naga except that he was fascinated by guardian naga. Although kindness was looked at as a weakness by spirit naga the guardians were unquestionably their superiors in power. He knew he had purge that fascination from himself and to do that he could no longer remain as he was. After years of effort it succeeded in becoming a Thrall of Demogorgan. His split personality was manifested strangely, he split into a lawful good half and his normal chaotic evil half. Demogorgon didn't even notice that as he didn't pay attention to his mortal followers and had balors deal with them who being chaotic barely paid attention themselves .

A short time later he was pulled into Ravenloft. During the day he is a wise guardian naga who is a follower of Ra and dwells in one of his temples while at night he is teleported to a temple of Set and dwells in it. His two halves war constantly with each other and are unaware they are two halves of the same being. Due to the long distance between them no one else realizes it either. As a guardian naga his dwelling is well known and people know they have to leave before dark as he gets restless and tells them to leave. They have no idea why this is so but it is accepted by people that he has some reason for doing so. Where he dwells at night as a spirit naga is not well known outside of criminal circles. He is willing to give his aid to cuthroats and thieves if the price is right and has blackmailed and bullied others. He throws them out before daylight and none try his patience by asking why.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Boogey Man/Cruelty that men do
In the streets of Nova Vassa a serial killer has been on the loose. This Shadowfey has been killing people at night spreading fear to grow his power. He isn’t however the only one doing horrible deeds. One priest claiming to be a prophet has been kidnapping kids off the street and a particular noble’s kid has gone missing. He offers a reward for those who can track him down and find the lost kid. When the prophet is eventually tracked down, there are kids that are dead, and some that are exhausted beyond belief.

The Prophet will fight until knocked out claiming to be saving the children from a horrible fate that he believes will befall them. Truth is he has been keeping the kids awake through pain, and various other methods since he had seen in a vision the boogey man taking the children while they sleep. If captured the priest will not regret his actions, and ask for a moment alone to pray. If given the chance he would rather his own death be by his hands, because he is sure the boogeyman will get him.

Meanwhile the Shadowfey has a particular call sign. Always one shoe missing from the victim, and the other balanced on two beer bottles. Why this oddity is done is anyone’s guess but it seems the killer is obsessed with this. What happens if he comes across someone not wearing shoes? Who knows?

(Just the start of a hopefully longer adventure if it helps anyone…)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

O is for... Old Svalich Road

Of capital importance to traders, the Old Svalich Road connects not only Barovia to its neighbours, but these said neighbours to each other. As everyone knows, traders attract brigands and bandits and other unsavory types which, of course, cannot operate in complete freedom as the Count does maintain some manner of control over his realm even if only through proxies.

However, a new threat is causing grief to the locals. That is, locals of Gundarakite stock. With tension rising between ethnic Barovians and Gundarakites, along with the growing militancy within the ranks of the latter, the recent disappearance of Gundarakite men along the road has more than a few calling for foul play.

While these could be attributed to the unfortunate proliferation of criminal elements along the popular route, separatist groups have been using these as proof that the Count - and by extension his Barovian ilk - is targeting them.

Further confusion ensued when traders better versed on historical matters reported seeing a small band of soldiers bearing the now almost forgotten banner of Gundar. The silent company rode along the road at a brisk pace and paid no heed to the merchants. Sightings of this group have started multiplying as of late, causing some to speculate whether or not some Gundarakite men may be planning to revive a long dead regime.

Revive may be the best word to explain this phenomenon as the men are no longer living. The strong emotions have woken the dead who slumbered and their angry, restless souls once again ride in the name of Gundar.

As they meet Gundarakite men, they recruit them into their fold following a short ritual in which a long dead soul enters the body of the living man and gradually regains its former corporeal form. Even a small amount of Gundarakite blood flowing through one's veins is enough to be considered for the ritual. The army will first attempt to convince the candidate through a patriotic spiel and a recitation of the crimes inflicted by Barovians upon Gundarakites. They are not particularly patient and will try to force an unwilling or unimpressed man into joining with the corporeal soldiers doing the majority of the work. Should they be injured or somehow see the fight as a lost cause, they will ride off as the physical form, although quite resilient, is seen as too precious to be wasted.

Women and children of Gundarakite stock will have the protection of the army as will anyone paying lip service to Gundar, the Gundarakite or the separatist movement. In fact, the army has been known to appear on the road to protect such individuals from bandits - especially when those happen to be Barovian.

The soldiers search for new recruits along the road where they are anchored, however, should certain conditions be met, their ties to the road will dissipate and they will freely roam the land in search of more recruits for the ghostly army.

Currently lacking a proper vessel for their leader, the force travels on instincts alone with hatred for Barovians and the memories of their death still burning. Should a proper man be found, their leader would gain a corporeal form and regain more of his intellect and free will.

The truth is that the ghostly leader never existed and is in fact the manifestation of the Gundarakite resentment over Barovian rule.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

P is for... Paladin

Oh, my brother, my dearest brother. You are a good man, you are. But a bigger fool I've yet to meet. Never a good deed goes unrewarded they say, but for my brother, oh, his good deeds... well... they certainly do not go unpunished...

He built an orphanage once, oh, right in the middle of that cesspool Nosos. Ah, he gave shelter and protection to the young and hungry. The local cut-purse's association thanked him for that one - heh heh. Certainly made it easier to recruit new members. And they didn't even have to offer them a cot during their training!

He built a church to his Ezra. I say his, cuz he talks about her like a jealous lover. The people liked it so much they burned down the old Morning Lord church - heresy, blasphemy, false idolatry, and all that malarkey. A little touched those ones, nearly burned down half the village after ah Ezra sneezed too hard and sent the blaze flying.

He had a talk with a fellow who was digging up the locals and wanted to, oh, have a little get together with them. Ah, rent is getting pricey but death isn't cheap and the lots aren't getting bigger, he said, and it's not like they would mind - they being dead and all. More room for new folks to move while the old ones get to help science. The fellow wound up in jail, he did, hanged for his crime but came back the very next day, crooked neck to match a crooked mind. By hook or by crook, he'd finish his work as you can't keep a good necromancer down. Thanked my brother, as you'd imagine, for the opportunity to ah "see the light".

Ah oh, heh heh... My brother, my brother, what a man, I say.

Rescued a damsel in distress and agreed to give her a lock of his hair to remember him by. I almost had a new brother, but he wasn't long for the world. We'll have a baby brother, soon, oh ah, she's a hard worker her.

Yes, my brother, oh my brother. A great paladin with Ezra on his mind and maybe other places too. Always the good fight, he says, but does it matter when the fates are against you?

What did you do? What did I do? What did we do? Don't worry, my brother, ha ha heh, I'm never letting go of you...
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

Q is for Quesar

(The Quesar is a planar "construct" taken from the Planescape campaign)

It fell before us one night. I remember the light most of all. It was so bright - like a shooting star streaking through a pitch black sky. It was so bright we could barely look at it.

Jonas tried to touch it but its delicate pale flesh burned his hands.

We recognized it as a blessing from the Morning Lord. He would grant us light and warmth so we could feed ourselves in the bitter winter months and protect our home from those who dwell in darkness.

Thieves, always thieves lurking about trying to steal our gift. Heathens, all of them heathens. They refused the word of the Morning Lord and yet sought to pilfer his blessings.

But we're stronger now. Stronger than ever. His light makes us strong even in the darkest of nights.

The thieves paid for their crimes and the Morning Lord will not let their souls rest as they now roam the land their eyes blind and minds cloudy. The price to pay for their lack of faith for one does not steal from the Morning Lord.

The land too has changed, pleasantly warped by the glory of the Morning Lord's grace. Every plant seems to shine with the eternal glow of the Morning Lord. The earth feels warmer and softer. The trees hum with a gentle energy.

We too are changing, touched by the hand of the Morning Lord.

This is His gift to us and we treasure it.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

R is for... Resplendent Cloaker

Alfred the Barker: Come one, come all and witness Marius the Mighty - The Prince of Pain!

He was born of royalty, but his rather perverse lust for pain forced him to forsake his titles and his lands and seek his own fortune!

Ah, I see you are skeptical of Marius' considerable constitution and formidable fortitude! Quite some hands you good sir! May I inquire as to how you found yourself with such fantastical fists? Go on then, strike his handsome face and try your best to disfigure him!

Looking at you I have a feeling you'll enjoy this... pity it won't last, isn't it?

Marius: Oh no, this one looks like he'll break my jaw! Have you seen his hands?

Alfred the Barker: Impressive specimen, I must admit. Look at him showboating! Clearly he knows how to use his fists. This should be quite the spectacle. I imagine he may wish to pummel you again once he realizes you are unhurt.

Marius: Unhurt? UNHURT???

Alfred: Keep it down, Marius, and get ready...

Marius: It hurts, Alfred. These blows. When the men hit me, it hurts! And this one, you've made him angry! He hates me already and I can't stand the constant pain anymore!

Alfred: And what, pray tell, will you accomplish on your own? Come now, you know this is for the best!

------

Marius isn't the first "Marius", and he may not be the last. And he certainly is not a disgraced noble but Alfred needs to explain the beautiful "cloak" that "Marius" wears.

The men who take the mantle of "Marius" are invariably down on their luck and Alfred doesn't really force them into the role, in fact, if they are able to find a replacement they are free to leave.

Alfred has found a means to remove the creature from the current Marius and attach it to a new host, but this may very well come at the cost of the former Marius' life as the experience is traumatic.

The current Marius is conflicted - without Alfred's "cloak", he's back to square one. However, particularly violent and angry commoners are plentiful and the chance to punch a noble in the face is something many dream of. The cloaker does not prevent the host from feeling pain, it merely heals their wounds.

Marius still feels the force of the blows rained down on him and is growing tired of his lot.
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

S is for... Sahuagin

Somewhere in a remote fishing village of the core, the people celebrate the memory of a man who challenged the spirits of the sea. For a full week, the villagers rejoice for the fishermen's nets are always full and their catch so flavourful that rich men and women from neighbouring cities come to feast upon the local delicacies.

The story, as it is usually told, states that centuries ago a poor fisherman was faced with a difficult choice: to leave the village where he had lived and worked his entire life as did many generations of men before him or starve to death. The sea no longer seemed to provide the fishermen with sustenance - as if the fish had migrated far from the coast and to distant lands. Old legends told of the Sea King and his horn with which he would summon sea dwellers to his throne.

Many blamed the Sea King for this. They said he was cruel and arrogant, and no longer wished to see humans sailing his domain. He had no reasons or at least never made them clear, as would such a character.

The fisherman decided that he would steal the Sea King's horn. So, every day he woke up and submerged himself in the sea. Every day, he would stay longer and longer until he could hold his breath for hours and swim like a fish. He would become as comfortable in the sea as on the land.

The stories tend to differ as to what happened next. Although most agree that the man was successful in his bid to elope with the Sea King's fabled horn, how he did so and the actual conclusion of the story are somewhat in doubt.

In some, the Sea King departed, having been humiliated by a mere land dweller. In others, the man was forced to state his case to the King and forced into a difficult compromise. And yet, there are those who believe the King allowed the man to leave with his horn knowing that he could not control it properly and probably harm his own as much as help.

There is a constant air of dread during the festivities for the seas at the time are also at their most dangerous with men swallowed by the depths every year.

Stories say that the ghost of the fisherman comes out to blow the horn and the various creatures of the deep become quite agitated as a result, making the seas dangerously unstable. Some fear that the more dangerous creatures of the sea also get attracted by the horn's call and devour fishermen.

Not everyone agrees with the men's aggressive fishing during this time of year. Be that as it may, the village's most respected elder are united in the desire to continue the tradition. Yes, some lives may be lost, but the village's prosperity is ensured for months to come thanks to the increase in wealthy visitors.

------------

The village elder in favour of the week long celebrations are actually Sahuagins who, save for a few nights of the year, take on human form with limited memory of their former lives.

That is, save for one. The head priestess never forgets. She does not care for her human form and can, unlike the others, revert to her Sahuagin form at will.

She worships not the Sea King but an ancient deity of the depths and the fishermen are offered up as sacrifices.

Only during the week of the festivities are the sacrifices accepted and the head priestess waits patiently for the time when her God wakes and swallows the land.