Carnival in Pathfinder

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Carnival in Pathfinder

Post by Mortavius »

The Giamarga wrote:I would perhaps drop Deceitful for Skill Focus(profession[gambler]), the 7 skill ranks to be dropped for Silver Tongued hurt though. Maybe he never played false so we can drop Sleight of Hand? Another interesting feat for him would be Antagonize, it's not a combat feat so you could perhaps switch it with Deft Hands.
I reworked the Gargantuan this evening after taking some time off from Carnival. I think I erred in his original skills, and missed giving him his bonus human skill ranks. So his skills actually don't change that much.

You could change Deceitful for Skill Focus; I just like the name Deceitful and I think that feat fits him so much better, even if he only uses half the bonus from the feat. I'm not so sure about Antagonize though. That's a feat that draws anger to you, and I'm sure Rasulid is keenly aware of how vulnerable he is in a physical confrontation. I'm sure that he has lots of people around to protect him and all that, but I just don't see why he'd try and draw violence towards him. He's got the skills to lie, browbeat, or compliment people into doing his bidding, and magical backup if that fails.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

The Giamarga wrote: Revisiting these two, I'd like them to be better throwing combatants. I'd switch the following three feats: Deft Hands, Skill Focus (Craft), Vital Strike and drop the Offensive Defense rogue talent and give them either Combat Trick or Finesse Rogue and 4 additional feats.

Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw and Rapid Shot would be the default thrower feats. And they do need Precise Shot to do the Act where the throw knives around someone. Bullseye Shot or Deadly Aim would also be a very very fitting feats. Normally a thrower need Quickdraw but maybe they always hold all their knives in hand or juggle them and maybe they don't want to sacrifice presision for more attacks. Though Rapid Shot would be a very nice act too.

Maybe they do differ after all, one being the trick shooter with:

Bullseye Shot, Dazzling Display, Deadly Aim, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot

and the other the fast thrower:

Dazzling Display, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Rapid Shot
I agree; I think I went a little skill heavy on them. I went back and reworked some of their feats. I changed the Rogue talent (also didn't realize that Offensive Defense really does nothing for them) to Finesse Rogue. These are the new feats I chose:

Feats: Bullseye Shot, Dazzling Display, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Skill Focus (Craft), Voice of Wrath, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Dagger)

I like the idea of Dazzling Display in a non-combat, show style. I agree that Bullseye, Point-Blank, and Precise are good choices as well. Quick Draw seems to fit, in a showmanship vein. Their next feat probably would be rapid shot. I want them to keep the Skill Focus though; it fits with their heritage of Kaldresh and dovetails nicely with Carnival saying they make all their own blades.

Also, I'm not sure about making the Brothers different stat-wise. In Carnival, we have two examples of closely connected Troupers. The Brothers, who are twins, and the Fates Three, who although not related by blood are intimately connected.

Although it's probably realistic to say that the Brothers differ slightly, I'm not sure I see what's to be gained from doing up separate stats for each one. I guess if you were to run a game that significantly focused on them, then you could expand upon them and highlight those differences.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Roman Olzanik, the Geek

Timeline

724 BC: Roman Olzanik is born to a minor noble family in Borca.
745 BC: Roman refuses a starving peasant girl and her family food during the winter; the Dark Powers punish and reward him for this act of callousness.
746 BC: Romans family, disgusted by what he must do to survive, disown him and throw him out of their home. He lives on the streets and would have died if Carnival hadn’t come through town and taken him in.
760 BC: Present Day.

Powers Check
Caress (Unprovoked Assault: Has a starving girl thrown off his property in the middle of winter; 745 BC): +4 Con & Immune to Poison but can only eat rotten food

Twisting: The Twisting has given Roman sunken features, yellowed skin, and sharp teeth.

Base Stats
Str 10, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 14
Racial: +2 Cha
Leveling: +1 Cha
Aging: Middle Aged
Powers Checks: +4 Con
Favored Class: + HP

760 BC (Current day stats)
CR 4; XP 1,200
Human Aristocrat 5
LE Medium Humanoid (Human)
Init +0; Senses Perception +0

Defense
AC 11, touch 10, flat-footed 11 (+1 Armor)
HP 42 (5d8+20)
Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +4
Immune to Poison

Offense
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Bite +3 (1d6-1 plus disease; Filth Fever)
Ranged MW Pistol +4 (1d8, x4)

Statistics
Str 9, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 18
Base Atk +3, CMB +3, CMD 13
Feats Dazzling Display, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms), Great Fortitude, Weapon Focus (Bite)
Skills Intimidate +12, Knowledge (Geography) +8, Knowledge (Nobility) +8, Perform (Act) +12, Ride +8
Languages Balok

Equipment
MW Pistol, Black Powder & Silver Shot (x20), Ring of Armor (as Bracers) +1

The only Trouper who has failed a Powers Check, Roman has always been one of my favourites. Just something about him, probably his act, and the idea that this was probably a real thing in the history of our Carnivals.

I kept Roman as an Aristocrat; even though he's thrown out of his home, I don't think he's given up on the idea that one day he'll be absolved of his sins and able to return home. I gave him Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms), but you may want to alter that depending on your game. Borca's cultural level of 8 probably corresponds to the "Commonplace Guns" option in Ultimate Combat, meaning that Roman could treat his Pistol as a martial weapon and wouldn't need to spend a feat. But this way he can use the gun even if you use him in a regular 3E Ravenloft game, and it's easy enough to give him another feat in place if you need.

As a final note, I like how it worked out that he can take Dazzling Display for a feat and use it with his bite...I imagine he uses it regularly during his...performances.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Not sure if it was already brought up, but there are a few adventures set around the village of Falcon's Hollow in Pathfinder that feature the usual
"carnival of horrors", albeit in a way more generic sense than the RL carnival.

Probably, a connection is there for those in the know... :)
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

I was not aware of that, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Le Noir Faineant wrote:Probably, a connection is there for those in the know... :)
Care to elaborate on that?
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Well, it's a Bradburyian carnival, in a fantasy environment.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy80op?Game ... l-of-Tears

The E series by Paizo doesn't seem to follow up on the motif, but the setting is Ravenloft-y enough:

http://paizo.com/products/btpy83yv?Path ... kmoon-Vale
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Charlotte, the Fire-Eater

Timeline

718 BC: Charlotte is born in l’Morai.
724 BC: As a spoiled child, Charlotte throws a temper tantrum for the last time. Her parents, uncaring people, arrange for her to be sent to the Grand Carnival l’Morai. She is changed and forced to endure her own simmering blood forever, as well as forgetting her past. In a strange quirk, although she cannot remember it, she chooses the name Charlotte.
740 BC: Charlotte travels with Hermos and the rest of the freaks as they leave l’Morai.
760 BC: Present Day

Twisting: The Twisting changed Charlotte’s hair and eyes to a fiery red color, and caused her blood to become combustible.

Base Stats
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 13
Racial: +2 Dex
Leveling: +1 Cha
Aging: Middle Aged
Favored Class: +Skill Ranks

CR 4; XP 1,200
Human Rogue (Knife Master) 4
CN Medium Humanoid (Human, Fire)
Init +2; Senses Perception +8

Defense
AC 13, touch 12, flat-footed 13 (+2 Dex, +1 Armor)
HP 29 (4d8+8)
Fort +3, Ref +6 (Evasion), Will +2
Defensive Abilities Blade Sense (+1 Dodge AC vs. Light Blades), Uncanny Dodge; Immune Fire
Weakness Cold

Offense
Speed 30 ft.
Melee MW Dagger +6 (1d4-1, 19-20, +1d6 Fire)
Ranged MW Dagger +6 (1d4-1, 19-20, +1d6 Fire)
Special Attacks Sneak Attack (+2d4 or 2d8 with Daggers)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 4th)
At-Will – Burning Hands (DC 13)

Statistics
Str 9, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 15
Base Atk +3, CMB +2, CMD 14
Feats Combat Reflexes, Dazzling Display, Deft Hands, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Daggers)
Skills Acrobatics +9, Bluff +9, Disable Device +11, Escape Artist +9, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Local) +9, Perception +8, Perform (Act) +9, Sense Motive +8, Sleight of Hand +11, Survival +5, Swim +6
Languages Mordentish*, Darkonese, Falkovnian
SQ Burning Blood, Hidden Blade (+2 Sleight of Hand involving Daggers), Rogue Talents (Finesse Rogue, Weapon Training)

Equipment
MW Cold Iron Dagger (x3), Bracelets of Armor +1 (as Bracers), Tangleburn Bag (x2)

Burning Blood (Ex): Charlotte’s blood is very combustible and she can use this to different effect. As a swift action, she can make a shallow cut on herself with a type P or S weapon she is using and cause it to gain the flaming quality, dealing an extra 1d6 Fire damage per hit. In addition, whenever Charlotte is hit with a type P or S weapon, her blood spatters and all within 5’ of her suffer 1d6 Fire damage from her blood. Finally as a standard action, Charlotte can make a small cut, allow her blood to ignite, and then breathe across it, creating an effect equal to Burning Hands.

With Charlotte I felt some streamlining was in order. Fortunately, Pathfinder aids in this. Giving her the fire subtype, making her have a standard weakness to cold, and letting her attacks act as flaming weapons. Her backstory has never been detailed, but I thought a temper tantrum fit well, and I can see her coming from a rich family, a spoiled child. Her original punishment was to suffer in her sweltering blood; it was only when the Twisting came that she was actually able to ignite her blood, reflecting her fiery inner self.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Tindafalus

Timeline
685 BC: Tindafalus born in Il Aluk, Darkon.
737 BC: Tindafalus journeys through Sithicus where he is caught by Lord Soth and tasked with creating the Memory Mirrors.
743 BC: Tindafalus finishes the Memory Mirrors and begins work on his experiment to replace his flaws with an idealized version of himself.
745 BC: Tindafalus’ experiment is completed but “Tindal” is pulled from the mirror and replaces Tindafulus. Tindafalus goes a bit mad being trapped in the mirrors, but having nowhere else to go, follows Tindal along to Carnival.

Twisting: As he is not actually present in the material plane, Tinfafalus has not been affected by the Twisting.
Madness: Tindafalus has failed some Madness saves during his time in the mirrors and that has given him -2 Wis and -4 Cha.

Base Stats
Str 13, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 15
Racial: +2 Int
Aging: Old
Leveling: +4 Int
Favored Class: + Skill Ranks

CR 16; XP 102,400
Dread Fetch Wizard (Illusionist) 16
NE Medium Outsider (Natural)
Init +5; Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Perception +1

Defense
AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 (+1 Deflection, +2 Dex, +1 Armor)
HP 106 (16d6+48)
Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +17

Offense
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Staff of Illusion +8/+3 (1d6)
Ranged Blinding Ray +9 touch (10/day)
Special Attacks Energy Drain vs. Tindal (Fort DC 19)
Spell-Like Abilities Invisibility Field (as Greater Invisibility 16 rounds/day)
Spells Prepared (CL 16th, Illusion school, Opposition schools: Abjuration & Evocation, DC 17 + spell level, DC 19 + spell level vs. Illusion)
8th – (2/day +1 Illusion) Antipathy, Demand, Scintillating Pattern, Symbol of Insanity, Sympathy
7th – (4/day +1 Illusion) Insanity, Mass Hold Person, Phantasmal Revenge, Project Image, Simulacrum
6th – (4/day +1 Illusion) Mass Suggestion, Mislead, Permanent Image, Programmed Image, True Seeing
5th – (5/day +1 Illusion) Mind Fog, Mirage Arcana, Nightmare, Persistent Image, Phantasmal Web
4th – (5/day +1 Illusion) Confusion, Phantasmal Killer, Rainbow Pattern, Shadow Step, Shocking Image
3rd – (6/day +1 Illusion) Deep Slumber, Displacement, Major Image, Suggestion, Tongues
2nd – (6/day +1 Illusion) Haunting Mists, Mad Hallucination, Minor Image, Mirror Image, Symbol of Mirroring
1st – (6/day +1 Illusion) Charm Person, Color Spray, Comprehend Languages, Detect Undead, Disguise Self, Hypnotism, Identify, Illusion of Calm, Magic Aura, Silent Image, Sleep, Vanish, Ventriloquism
0th – (4/day +1 Illusion) Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Bleed, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Haunted Fey Aspect, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Touch of Fatigue

Statistics
Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 25, Wis 13, Cha 13
Base Atk +8/+3, CMB +8, CMD 19
Feats Craft Staff, Craft Wondrous Item, Deft Hands, Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Greater Spell Focus (Illusion), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (Illusion), Spell Mastery (Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation), Toughness
Skills Appraise +26, Bluff +17, Craft (Blacksmithing) +26, Craft (Gemcutting) +26, Diplomacy +17, Disguise +17, Knowledge (Arcana) +26, Sense Motive +17, Sleight of Hand +21, Spellcraft +26 (+28 vs. Illusion, +21 vs. Abjuration & Evocation), Survival +17
Languages Darkonese, Draconian, Halfling, Gnome, Dwarven, Elven, Mordentish, Sithican
SQ Arcane Bond (Staff), Extended Illusions (8 rounds)

Equipment
Staff of Illusion (30 charges), Cloak of Resistance +4, Bracers of Armor +1

I've actually had Tindafalus mostly done for a long time, because he's so similar to Tindal. I worked out all of his spells at the same time I was making Tindal and have just had them sitting by waiting for me to do up Tindafalus. There's not much difference between the two except that Tindafalus has all the penalties to his abilities for being old, and he doesn't have ranks in Perform. I also liked Ryan's suggestion that Tindafalus has failed some madness saves in the past, and this lowered his mental scores a little closer to his original 2E incarnation. Whenever possible, I don't like to stray too far from the original ideals of these characters.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Isolde, Mistress of the Carnival

Timeline

740 BC: Isolde enters Ravenloft in the domain of Falkovnia and shortly thereafter comes to the rescue of the freaks from l’Morai. They pledge themselves to her service for saving them, causing the formation of the Carnival.
742 BC: Isolde creates the first Abomination from the assassin who killed Arabela.

CR 11; XP 12,800
Unique Ghaele Azata
CG Medium Outsider (Azata, Chaotic, Good, Extraplanar)
Init +5; Senses Darkvision 60’, Detect Law/Chaos, Perception +17

Defense
Aura Reality Wrinkle (300’, the Twisting)
AC 28, touch 16, flat-footed 26 (+4 Deflection, +1 Dex, +1 Dodge, +12 Natural)
HP 105 (10d10+50)
Fort +11, Ref +13, Will +14
DR 10/cold iron & evil; Immune Disease, Electricity, Petrification; Resist Cold 10, Fire 10; SR 25

Offense
Speed 50’
Melee Holy Longsword +21/+16 (1d8+14, 19-20; +2d6 vs. evil)
Special Attacks Gaze (60’, Will DC 18), Smite Evil (+3 hit, +10 damage; 4/day)

Statistics
Str 25, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 16, Wis 19, Cha 17
Base Atk +10, CMB +17, CMD 28
Feats Combat Expertise, Dodge, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes
Skills Diplomacy +16, Escape Artist +11, Handle Animal +16, Knowledge (Nature) +16, Knowledge (Planes) +16, Knowledge (Religion) +16, Perception +17, Sense Motive +17, Stealth +14
Languages Celestial*, Draconic, Infernal, Mordentish; Truespeech
SQ Divine Bond (Weapon +2; 2/day), Divine Grace, Divine Health, Lay on Hands (Heal 5d6 damage & remove Diseased, Frightened, & Shaken status; 8/day)

Equipment
Holy Longsword +4

And finally, the last NPC in the Carnival book. Isolde was a bit tricky. Her description states that she is trapped in a human form, so my initial idea was to create her as a 10th level Paladin with some Azata abilities. I soon realized that wouldn't work; why would she have a reality wrinkle if she were a human? Monks get one, but only after 20 levels. I figured the "human form" was more of an allusion to the fact that she couldn't shapeshift anymore, and Ghaeles in their natural form are said to look either human or elven. So she remains an Azata Ghaele, which nicely explains her reality wrinkle.

I removed her spellcasting, ala Carnival. Ghaeles really have a ridiculous number of spells they can cast. They have a whole bunch of spell-like abilities, and then on top of that, they can cast like 13th level Clerics (or presumably, Clerics equal to their HD). It's one thing I liked about 4E; they took away the ridiculous number of spells some creatures had access to. But I digress. I took away her spellcasting as Carnival states, and gave her most of the abilities of a 10th level Paladin (which matches her HD). She didn't get the aura powers; I didn't want to have a whole bunch of extra auras stacking on top of her reality wrinkle. Really, she's a pretty powerful character; she still has her Gaze (which she had before) plus all her immunities, DR, resists, and SR. And a +12 natural AC bonus. So I'm not thinking that she's going to be over-powered by anyone else anytime soon, especially with her command of the Twisting, which is probably the way it should be.

I may go on to do some of the Ballyhoo from the BoS; I've never really read them. Also sorta depends on how interested people are in seeing them done.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Well done. Finished at last. What a great thread.

I'd love to see more Carnie conversions, starting with but not limited to the Ballyhoo. Ron listed some more fanzine/netbook sources in the New Carnival NPCs thread. Mangrum's Pharao Rottentop comes to mind immediately.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Nice job Mortavius! As usual!