Quoth the Raven #22 - Submissions Open

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Quoth the Raven #22 - Submissions Open

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

... the perils of Dark Desire had never been so apparent. Crimelords intent on power at all costs, a golem searching for what its creator could never provide, a ghostly steed meting out justice, lands of blood-lust and superstition, of exotic tales and mystics, and the island home of a lonely tragic trio of inhuman monsters, cursed for what they each crave most. All that and more had been the cost of falling for her. But I'd finally managed to shake off her dire influence, with the help of a mysterious old gentleman. Something about him was familiar, tickling at the edge of memory. Had I seen his lean, Thaani face before? or is it merely an uncanny resemblance to someone I had known in my youth... before the fire... before the orphanage in Kantora. The memories of those times are foggy at best. How often had I wished for some clue of where I came from? who I really was born to be? But no one had ever had answers for me, only more questions. No matter... the past is past, and the old gentleman is here now, at the Port-a-Lucine cafe where he'd asked to meet with me. Something important to tell me, he says... I wonder what it might be...

The Fraternity of Shadows is now accepting submissions for the 22nd installment of Quoth the Raven, Ravenloft's most mysterious annual netbook. Based the Fraternity's deliberations, and a cryptic message found in a locked puzzle box that we recently inherited, the theme for the 2015 issue will be Forgotten Legacies.

The past is littered with deeds of valor, and sins of great depravity. But history rarely stays buried forever in the Ravenloft setting. Family secrets, last wills, forgotten relations, hidden rooms, buried treasure, lost lore, ancestral curses, noble lineages. Where do you come from? What brought you to this point? Is your heritage a source of hope or despair? Which secrets are best kept hidden, and which must bear the light of day? Can the cursed find redemption? Or will history be repeated? Must the next generation follow in the footsteps of the last? Only you can decide.

As always, we are looking for anything related to Ravenloft, Masque of the Red Death, or horror in general. The theme is deliberately open ended, but still a suggestion, not a restriction. If you have something great that doesn't fit in with the theme, send it in anyway!

Ruleset doesn't matter! We accept articles using any edition of D&D rules, or even other systems. Some of the best articles don't have any rules text at all! And if you're interested in having your rules converted to another system, let us know. There are lots of volunteers eager to help.

See our submission guidelines for official rules.

Submit your articles to QTR@fraternityofshadows.com. The deadline is September 30th, 2015, but feel free to send your articles in early, especially if you're looking for feedback.

And remember, those who don't study their history are doomed to repeat it. And those who do study it are just doomed.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Quoth the Raven #22 - Submissions Open

Post by alhoon »

I want to make the question I usually make: Is there a page limit? Cause I was working on an article for some time now and I'm already at 30 pages... and I'll need more.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I'll answer as I did last year:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:We don't have any particular guideline, but how's this: Last year's QtR had about 600 words per page, and the articles ranged in length from 4 to 38 pages. (the 38-pager was the SoS preview, so if only count "proper" articles, the largest was 24 pages, so about 14,000 words.)
Soooo... write whatever it takes to tell your tale properly. Disk space is cheap. :)[/quote]To update those numbers, last years' SoS preview was 36 pages, and the largest of the others was 25. 30 is definitely on the high side. (most are 2-10). But if that's the right length for the material, so be it. (If you get much larger than that, though, you might consider publishing it as a separate netbook, rather than in QtR. We'd be happy to host)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Sent my submission to QTR@fraternityofshadows.com for review. It's 40 pages (20900 words) but that's because I have a lot of stuff in there, not because I had fluff. For all parts I was reading them after I wrote them and thinking "should this be there or eliminated?" and I kept only those parts and sentences that I felt added to the article.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:Sent my submission to QTR@fraternityofshadows.com for review. It's 40 pages (20900 words) but that's because I have a lot of stuff in there, not because I had fluff. For all parts I was reading them after I wrote them and thinking "should this be there or eliminated?" and I kept only those parts and sentences that I felt added to the article.
Oddly, I never received it, though the QTR mailing list shows it in the archive and I can get it there, it's supposed to be forwarded automatically to my inbox too. I'll take a read through when I can and give you some feedback. But can you try sending it directly to me? For some reason, this happened to your article last year too. (and only yours) Everyone else got it except me. But I got your recent reviews just fine, so I don't know. Thanks.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Can you please tell Dru to stop hacking your email and deleting my submissions please?
I'll send it now, during the day that she sleeps. Hurry to get it before nightfall!
My DMGuild work!
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Need to dig out my Falkovnia and Lamordia Revisions.... now where did I put them... and the formatting, mein gott, the formatting!
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

I was thinking of working up a version of my thoughts on adapting Arthur Machen's "The Great God Pan" for Ravenloft. Would that be OK as it's based on someone else's story?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

thekristhomas wrote:I was thinking of working up a version of my thoughts on adapting Arthur Machen's "The Great God Pan" for Ravenloft. Would that be OK as it's based on someone else's story?
Happens all the time. Go ahead.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I mailed in a contribution today. Keep an eye on your spam folder, I guess. ^_^
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock wrote:I mailed in a contribution today. Keep an eye on your spam folder, I guess. ^_^
received!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Aha! I look forward to your reply. ^^
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

Sent my final draft, hopefully its digestible and informative enough. Out of my hands now. :davion:
My RPG PC Game: higurashirpg.blogspot.com
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hi. So... have you guys had time to read my entry yet? ^^;
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

:( not yet... soon, I promise..