more Stat Blocks for my Pathfinder/Ravenloft campaign

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: more Stat Blocks for my Pathfinder/Ravenloft campaign

Post by Ryan Naylor »

You are indeed correct; Malocchio should have the Sight but doesn't. If you want to remain consistent with VRGttV, you should assume Malocchio has the Sight, albeit very weakly. Hyskosa was obviously a much more powerful seer.

Also, there's no need to believe there's only one dukkar and the others are upstarts or pretenders.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Inajira revised with Ryan's Fiend template: :)

INAJIRA, He Who Deceives, The Arcanodaemon, The Pariah Fiend, CR 18 (XP 153,600)
Male meladaemon of corruption wizard 12
NE Large outsider (daemon, evil, extraplanar)
Init +11; Senses darkvision 60 ft., detect good, detect magic; Perception +33
Aura consumptive aura (20 ft.)
DEFENSE
AC 34, touch 18, flat-footed 27 (-1 size, +7 Dex, +10 natural, +6 armor, +2 deflection)
hp 275 (14d10+12d6+130)
Fort +15, Ref +20, Will +23
Defensive Abilities rejuvenation, liar; DR 10/good; Immune acid, attempt to magically discern its alignment, critical hits, death effects, detect thoughts, discern lies, disease, mind-affecting spells, poison, sneak attack; Resist cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10; SR 22
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (average)
Melee bite +25 (3d8+5/19–20 plus disease), 2 claws +24 (2d6+5 plus hunger)
Ranged +1 keen longsword +27 (2d6+6/17-20)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks hand of the apprentice (10/day), metamagic mastery (3/day)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 11th; concentration +17 [+21 defensive])
Constant—detect good, detect magic, fly, see invisibility
At will—alter self, animate dead, fear (DC 19), charm person (DC 17), deeper darkness, greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), heat metal (DC 18), magic missile, produce flame
3/day—blight (DC 20), diminish plants, quickened magic missile
1/day—horrid wilting (DC 24), permanent image (DC 22), waves of fatigue
Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 12th; concentration +19 [+23 defensive])
6th—greater dispel magic, mass suggestion (DC 23), true seeing
5th—dominate person (DC 22), feeblemind (DC 22), hold monster (DC 22), wall of stone
4th—charm monster (DC 21), greater invisibility, solid fog, wall of fire
3rd—arcane sight, clairaudience/clairvoyance, hold person (DC 20), howling agony (DC 20), suggestion (DC 20), tongues
2nd—arcane lock, blindness/deafness (DC 19), fox’s cunning, haunting mists (DC 19), mirror image, web (DC 19)
1st—alarm, corrosive touch (2), ray of enfeeblement (2, DC 18), shield
0 (at will)—arcane mark, detect magic, mage hand, read magic
STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 24, Con 21, Int 25, Wis 19, Cha 22
Base Atk +19; CMB +24; CMD 41
Feats Ability Focus (disease), Blind-Fight, Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Craft Wondrous Item, Extend Spell, Great Fortitude, Heighten Spell, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Iron Will, Quicken Spell, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (magic missile), Scribe Scroll, Weapon Focus (bite)
Skills Appraise +22, Bluff +35, Craft (alchemy) +22, Diplomacy +26, Fly +20, Heal +19, Intimidate +24, Knowledge (arcana) +24, Knowledge (geography) +20, Knowledge (history) +20, Knowledge (local) +15, Knowledge (nobility) +15, Knowledge (planes) +24, Knowledge (religion) +24, Linguistics +11, Perception +33, Profession (scribe) +19, Sense Motive +21, Spellcraft +24, Stealth +20, Survival +21, Use Magic Device +23
Languages Abyssal, Balok, Draconic, Infernal, Luktar, Vaasi; telepathy 100 ft.
SQ arcane bond (bracers of armor +6; 1/day—can be used to cast any one spell from Inajira’s spellbook), change shape (Small or Medium humanoid, alter self), corruption points 0, favored class (wizard; 12 skill ranks), phylactery (new Book of Keeping; this Small book has 40 hp, hardness 20, and a break DC of 40), fiend’s favor, reality wrinkle (7,800 ft.), soul bargain
Gear bracers of armor +6, +1 keen longsword, medallion of thoughts, ring of protection +2, spell component pouch, wand of dispel magic (CL 10th; 50 charges)
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Consumptive Aura (Su) Inajira radiates an aura of hunger to a radius of 20 feet. Every round a creature begins its turn within this aura, it must succeed on a DC 23 Fortitude save or take 1d6 nonlethal damage and become fatigued from extreme hunger. Creatures that do not need to eat are immune to this effect. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Disease (Ex) Daemonic wasting: Bite—injury; save Fort DC 25; onset 1 day; frequency 1/day; effect 1d4 Con and 1d4 Cha damage; cure 2 consecutive saves. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Fiend’s Favor (Su) Once per day, Inajira can grant a touched creature a +2 profane bonus to one of the creature’s ability scores. This bonus lasts for 24 hours. When the effect expires, the creature takes a –2 penalty to the same ability score for the next 24 hours. Another application of fiend’s favor not only negates the penalty, but restores the full bonus. Inajira is quite free with this ability — at least at first. He often approaches people who are in need of a short term ability boost for a specific situation, offers them the “favor” for free in exchange for performing a simple task. The next day, when the affected creature is suffering from the penalty, the price for restoring the favor gets slightly higher, and so on — until a power-hungry character is willing to do just about anything in return.
Hand of the Apprentice (Su) Inajira can cause a melee weapon to fly from his grasp and strike a foe before instantly returning to him. As a standard action, Inajira can make a single attack using a melee weapon at a range of 30 feet. This attack is as a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, except that Inajira adds his Intelligence modifier on the attack roll instead of his Dexterity modifier (damage still relies on Strength). This ability cannot be used to perform a combat maneuver. Inajira can use this ability 10/day.
Hunger (Su) Inajira’s claw attack deals an additional 1d6 points of nonlethal damage as it causes sudden pangs of horrific hunger in his foe. Creatures that do not need to eat are immune to this effect.
Liar (Su) Inajira is immune to detect thoughts, discern lies, and any attempt to magically discern its alignment.
Metamagic Mastery (Su) Inajira can apply any one metamagic feat that he knows to a spell he is about to cast. This does not alter the level of the spell or the casting time. Inajira can use this ability 3/day. Any time Inajira uses this ability to apply a metamagic feat that increases the spell level by more than 1, he must use an additional daily usage for each level above 1 that the feat adds to the spell. Even though this ability does not modify the spell’s actual level, Inajira cannot use this ability to cast a spell whose modified spell level would be above the level of the highest-level spell that he is capable of casting.
Rejuvenation (Su) Upon entering Ravenloft, Inajira was granted a phylactery. The phylactery is typically an unusual object symbolic of the fiend’s nature or personality. Inajira’s phylactery is his new Book of Keeping (40 hit points, hardness 20, a break DC of 40, CL 30th). He did not have to create this new Book of Keeping; it just appeared in a safe place, hidden away in the Mists, when he was drawn into the demiplane. When Inajira is reduced to 0 hp, his spirit retreats to the phylactery for 24 hours. After that time, he can attempt to possess any living humanoid or monstrous humanoid that passes within 260 feet, as magic jar (Will DC 21 negates, CL 30th). If Inajira succeeds, his victim is killed and he permanently takes possession of their body. Over the next few weeks, the victim’s form slowly warps to recreate Inajira’s natural form, although he can typically use all of his special abilities from the moment he is reborn. If the magic jar fails, the humanoid is immune to possession attempts from Inajira for 24 hours. Inajira can make new possession attempts at will as a full-round action.
Soul Bargain (Sp) Inajira can enter a binding agreement with a mortal, at the cost of the mortal’s soul. The mortal victim must enter into the soul bargain willingly; Inajira cannot use any of his spells, spell-like abilities or supernatural abilities to coerce the victim, although he can use mundane trickery. Entering into a soul bargain is an unforgivably evil act, which might alter a character’s alignment, blocks divine spellcasters from receiving spells from good-aligned deities, and prevents resurrection. Inajira can grant a wish to a mortal (not an elemental, fey, outsider, or nonliving creature) 1/day. Using this ability inflicts a negative level on the fiend, so he never use this ability lightly. Upon the mortal’s death (by any means), their soul is transferred to a gem (prepared as with the soul bind spell when the bargain is forged), even if the gem and the mortal are not on the same plane (or domain) at the same time. (A soul in Ravenloft cannot reach a gem outside the demiplane, however.) The fiend cannot directly cause the death of someone with a soul bargain. The bargain requires 1 hour to complete, and is utterly inviolable once forged. The only way to escape a soul bargain is to recover the gem after the mortal’s death and break it, freeing their soul and allowing them to be restored to life through the normal means. Inajira can break the contract at any time, although he only does so under extremely rare circumstances. Inajira can sense when a creature has sold their soul, and so doesn’t waste his time bargaining with those who have nothing to offer him.
Last edited by Nemesio on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

holy shit..... CR 18? o.O'

I retract that statement....

holy cow after death comes back like a lich!?!?!?

Furthermore can he suspress his hunger aura? Otherwise that'd give him away a lot.

I've also wondered if it's possible to suppress reality wrinkles.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Zilfer wrote: I've also wondered if it's possible to suppress reality wrinkles.
From the Van Richten Guide, I have always been under the impression that the fiend's lack of a connection to the Demiplane and their great power grants them a constant area that is definitely twisted to their evil auras. It moves with them and allows them to penetrate domain borders. The aura (I think so at least) also decreases the longer the fiend is in Ravenloft ingraining them into the fabric of the Demiplane. I should probably check these out, but I am not with my books right now. We shall see if I am going to have to edit this later.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I know it's possible to reduce that by gaining land powers however that binds them to ravenloft which from Inijira's description he probably wouldn't do.... and if he's hiding 'right under strahd's nose'

I would think their'd be a power for them to reduce that aura... or hide it.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Zilfer wrote:I know it's possible to reduce that by gaining land powers however that binds them to ravenloft which from Inijira's description he probably wouldn't do.... and if he's hiding 'right under strahd's nose'

I would think their'd be a power for them to reduce that aura... or hide it.
Not arguing, just wondering, isn't the land-based powers and the ties to the land inevitable? It takes a long time and I always saw the Dark Powers as an infiltrating menace rather than a overt group of whatever they are. Is this a misunderstanding? I know I can run it the way I want and the rules may have changed (which might make me reevaluate the concept), but that is the way it was run in my setting. That's why the darklord knows something is up when a fiend is around (or at passing the borders).
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Zilfer wrote:Furthermore can he suspress his hunger aura? Otherwise that'd give him away a lot.

I've also wondered if it's possible to suppress reality wrinkles.
When his change shape is in operation, his consumptive aura is suppressed (have a look at the polymorph rules in the Magic chapter), so it only becomes an issue when he's in his real form.

No, reality wrinkles can't be suppressed. But they're not normally all that noticeable either.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Dark Angel wrote:Not arguing, just wondering, isn't the land-based powers and the ties to the land inevitable? It takes a long time and I always saw the Dark Powers as an infiltrating menace rather than a overt group of whatever they are. Is this a misunderstanding? I know I can run it the way I want and the rules may have changed (which might make me reevaluate the concept), but that is the way it was run in my setting. That's why the darklord knows something is up when a fiend is around (or at passing the borders).
No, the land based powers are something the fiend actively does, so not all fiends have them.

The reality wrinkle is inevitable though, and that's why the darklord knows they're around.
Last edited by Ryan Naylor on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Well, I was right and wrong. I really never cared for the fiends just getting powers, make them want them and then suffer the consequences.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

It gets progressively harder for fiends to gain Land-Based Powers, and the consequences of failure are pretty dire...

Ryan wrote: "If the ritual fails, the fiend suffers 6d10 points of damage, which can only be recovered through natural healing (not regenerated or magically healed). The fiend also suffers a permanent negative level, although this can be restored through magic. Other consequences are also possible."

Ryan's revision is pretty consistent with 2nd and 3rd edition punishments for such failure... I agree that the negative level fits more nicely with Pathfinder rules than a % of damage taken being permanent hit point loss.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

NPC Stats, Canjar Vistani:

CANJAR RAUNIE, CR 8 (XP 4,800)
Female old Canjar Vistani witch 8
N Medium humanoid (Vistani)
Init -1; Senses Perception +12
DEFENSE
AC 9, touch 9, flat-footed 9 (-1 Dex)
hp 36 (8d6+8)
Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +11; +2 vs. enchantment, +4 vs. spells with the curse descriptor
Weaknesses moon madness
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +1 dagger +2 (1d4-2/19-20)
Witch Spells Prepared (CL 8th [16th for augury and divination]; concentration +12)
4th—divination, moon struck (DC 18), shadow step
3rd—agonizing rebuke (DC 17), blood biography (DC 17), clairaudience/clairvoyance, dispel magic
2nd—augury, locate object, scare (DC 16), steal breath (DC 16)
1st—abjuring step, anticipate peril, bungle (DC 15), identify, keep watch
0 (at will)—arcane mark, mending, purify food and drink, read magic
Patron portents
Evil Eye Spell-Like Abilities (CL 8th; concentration +12)
Constant—detect magic
At will—cause fear (DC 15), hold person (DC 16), ill omen (DC 15), spark (touch only), speak with animals (vista-chiri only)
1/day—bestow curse (DC 17), burning gaze (nonlethal damage only, DC 16), shadow conjuration (nonlethal damage only, DC 17)
STATISTICS
Str 5, Dex 9, Con 10, Int 19, Wis 16, Cha 18
Base Atk +4; CMB +1; CMD 10
Feats Alertness, Craft Wondrous Item, Iron Will, Magical Aptitude, Voice of Wrath
Skills Craft (alchemy) +12, Heal +8, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (arcana) +15, Knowledge (history) +8, Knowledge (nature) +8, Knowledge (planes) +8, Perception +12, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +17, Survival +8, Use Magic Device +17; Racial Modifiers +2 Sense Motive, +2 Spellcraft, +2 Survival
Languages Patterna, Balok, Darkonese, Luktar, Vaasi
SQ cursemonger, favored class (witch; 8 hit points), hexes (cackle, charm, evil eye, misfortune, scar), mist navigation, tasque abilities (Canjar), the Sight
Gear evil eye amulet, lesser tarokka deck
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Hexes (Su or Sp) The witch knows a number of magic tricks called hexes that grant her powers and weaken foes. Unless otherwise noted, using a hex is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The save to resist the witch’s hex is 18.
Cackle: The witch can cackle madly as a move action. Any creature that is within 30 feet that is under the effects of a charm hex, evil eye hex, or misfortune hex caused by the witch has the duration of that hex extended by 1 round.
Charm: The witch can charm an animal or humanoid creature within 30 feet by beckoning and speaking soothing words. This improves the attitude of an animal or humanoid creature by 1 step, as if the witch had successfully used the Diplomacy skill. The effect lasts for 4 rounds. A Will save negates this effect. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this hex again for 1 day.
Evil Eye: The witch can cause doubt to creep into the mind of a foe within 30 feet that she can see. The target takes a –4 penalty on one of the following (witch’s choice): AC, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, or skill checks. This hex lasts for 7 rounds. A Will save reduces this to just 1 round. This is a mind-affecting effect.
Misfortune: The witch can cause a creature within 30 feet to suffer grave misfortune for 2 rounds. Anytime the creature makes an ability check, attack roll, saving throw, or skill check, it must roll twice and take the worse result. A Will save negates this hex. This hex affects all rolls the target must make while it lasts. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this hex again for 1 day.
Scar: This hex curses a single target touched with horrible scars of the witch’s choosing, whether something as simple as a single letter on the target’s forehead or blotchy, burn-like scars on his body. The target may make a Will save to resist this hex. These scars do not interfere with the target’s senses or prevent it from using abilities, but may affect social interactions. The witch can use her hexes on the scarred target at a range of up to 1 mile, and she is considered to have a body part from the target for the purpose of scrying and similar divination spells. They persist through disguises and shapechanging. The witch can withdraw this hex from a target as a move action at any range. The witch can maintain up to 4 supernatural scars at once; once she reaches this limit, she must remove the scar from a current victim in order to mark another. Effects that remove curses can remove the scar.
Mist Navigation (Ex) Vistani can navigate the Mists with 95% success. Most Vistani are unable to summon the Mists, but can control where they go should they find themselves in them.
Moon Madness (Ex) During the period of the full moon each month (3 days out of every 28 in the Core, although isolated domains may have more or less frequent full moons), the Vistana is shaken if indoors at night. The moon does not have to be visible for a Vistana to suffer from moon madness.
The Sight (Ex) Female Vistani have the Sight, which increases their chance of a correct augury, allows those who are not Oracles to cast divination, and gives them access to the Seer domain.
Rogold Gildenman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Rogold Gildenman »

Master Nemesio, I have been directed to you as one who has great expertise in converting characters from one gaming system to another, also as one who is kind enough to accept build requests (challenges even!) from those less gifted in the Arts of Character Creation; with that in mind I have summoned up my courage and would like to bring my own request before you if i may.

You see for some reason (possibly because of their very obscurity and heroic nature) I have taken an interest in the 'Sample PCs' from that historic Module I-10 and would be very interested in seeing the band whom I have come to think of as 'The Heroes of Gryphon Hill' updated for the Modern Era (why? well it seems just about every other character from the module or their descendants have been!).

With that in mind I have done some thinking on the topic and have worked out a few details for this particular fellowship, but for better and for worse these have been background details and very general concepts , for the very simple reason that I know a little bit about characterisation I know little and less about Stats; I would appreciate your thoughts on the topic and my ideas, if you are willing to give them.

Thank you in advance for your patience and for your advice; if you would prefer some more concrete information and less waffle, please tell me so Sir.

The Heroes of Gryphon Hill

To put things in perspective I see this particular misfit band of unlikely champions as out of their element, but not quite out of their depth (not QUITE) in Mordentshire-by-Sea, a group shaped by the culture of an era rather different from Mordent's present (probably at the point where the Medieval Cultural level turns to the Chivalric), and dispatched by a Faith closer to the Catholic Church that produced the Knights of St John or the Knights Templar than the slightly more Anglican Church of Ezra : to be precise I imagine that Lord Weathermay fought in his youth with some Knightly Order as an affiliate rather than a member (what was known in those days as a Guest Crusader or a 'Donat') and when things wicked descended upon Mordentshire-by-Sea in his old age it was to these Champions of Light that he turned to.

They took him seriously, but couldn't quite see how they might help this old friend of their Order in a situation where detective work rather than a demolition job was required and therefore turned to their superiors in the High Faith, who duly despatched a couple of promising young Clerics to soothe the fears of the lordly folk in Mordentshire-Town and if necessary sniff out whatever minor evils might bedevil that small town.

The young clerics, not being fools, recruited reinforcements just in case the local evils turned out to be not-so-minor after all; it would prove to be a mixed group, not least due to the fact that they were recruiting with the support of their regional superiors and a shoestring budget to recommend them to potential recruits (hence a significant presence of gaoled criminals and other debtors to the faith in the ranks), but the young clerics in question do not seem to have regretted their choices.

Possibly because they did not live long enough to do so, but equally possibly because a combination of arms, armour, brains and phenomenal cosmic power proved it's utility once again; the precise truth depends on which version of events one chooses to believe!

Rogold Gildenman (Human Cleric - Scroll Scholar, formerly Cleric): I chose the 'Scroll Scholar' variation on the Pathfinder Cleric because I believed it suited my mental image of Rogold Gildenman as a young cleric with a knack for digging out secrets and an uncommon knack for actually pausing to consider the consequences before revealing them - in some ways a cleric with all the right aptitudes to become an Inquisitor, but one who lacks an appetite for 'Extreme Measures' and who possesses a sense of mercy too strong to make him seriously consider that path in the Faith he serves.

He also rides a mare with a name better suited to a stallion, so he must have some sense of humour!

(Basically I see him as a charismatic young cleric going places, being pointed by his superiors in a direction that does not lead to those potentates suffering high blood pressure or the feelings of mild inadequacy common to those dealing with a Sleuth).

Thaddeus Mont Breezar THE MAGNIFICENT (Human Wizard - ?, formerly Magic User): A former adventurer old enough to have forgotten the discomfort of adventuring, but not so old that he has forgotten all the practicalities (also a magic-user who presents himself as a Mountebank so that he will not be taken for a megalomaniac), recruited by Gildenman and Brother Summer to add some arcane might and adventuring experience to their Party (not realising that the old fellow will never actually STOP sharing pearls of wisdom from his adventuring days so long as he is offered some excuse to do so).

Agreed to go along with these young pups so that he could share the benefit of his wisdom, pay off some old debts for healing left outstanding AND prove to himself that there's still a mighty ZAP left in the old wand.

Phillipe Delamana (Human Paladin - Divine Defender, formerly Paladin): A Sean Bean character who sees his curiously-inevitable fate coming but has yet to either stop grumbling under his breath about the fact nor ever let it stop him from half-killing himself to make sure the Right Thing is being done at peak efficiency, despatched by the Knightly Order that he serves to lend his aid to Lord Weathermay, with whom he was once passingly acquainted long ago - when he was a young squire and M'Lord was still a dashing adventurer.

If you've read the character description provided with the module, I believe that you'll understand why I suggest that he fulfil the 'Divine Defender' archetype (not least because he was likely recruited to bodyguard Weathermay House while the clerics sniff around Mordentshire like the Sleuth-hounds they are).

Amar Bori Sandflinger (Gnome ?, formerly illusionist): artist of illusion, master of distraction and part-time scavenger of artefacts, I'm not quite sure which Pathfinder Class/Archetype suits him best, but have an easy time seeing him as having been brought along as a living distraction from the stealthier efforts of T.G. and in the hopes that his skills with illusion will allow the party to see through similar misdirection.

Brenda of the Crimson Blade (Human Two-Handed Fighter/Fighter): someone who loves sharp edged metal a bit too much, but is VERY good at putting it to use in the execution of any opposition and will PROBABLY stay on the rails so long as her employers are members of the Clergy (the Divine is one of the few authority figures she isn't QUITE certain of talking her way out of trouble or laughing in the face of, but which can CERTAINLY inflict excessively-unpleasant fates upon if she fails, hence her loyalty to Church contracts …) even if Paladins will forever remain 'choirboy cavalrymen' in her opinion.

Brother Summer (Half-Orc Cleric - Theologian, formerly Fighter/Cleric): He is described as being reluctant to even display his skills in armed mayhem in the original module, so I thought a less action-oriented variation on the Cleric class would suit him - given his nature as something of an aberration in old order of things prevailing at the time of his creation, it is interesting to imagine him as devoting considerable thought to working out how he ought to fit into his new Faith and coming up with some idiosyncratic answers in the process.

Is following Cleric Rogold because the former was kind enough to keep Brother Summer's true heritage secret (at the latter's request and because Rogold believes that his good colleagues redemption would be at peril under any other circumstances), also because both are quite convinced that the party needs someone large and formidable and patient enough to keep 'Bloody Brenda' toeing the party line.

T.G. Redanto (Human Rogue - Chameleon, formerly Rogue): he gets ahead in crime and earned his place with the party by dint of being very good at not being noticed, as well as avoiding anything approaching violent action - he has therefore been recruited to snoop around Mordentshire un-noticed while the clerics conduct their personal investigations in a more above-board fashion.

They're certain they can't keep tabs on him, but are fairly confident that there's nothing much in Mordentshire worth his time stealing so that problem isn't likely to crop up - also that they have a Ranger in the party (which makes the odds of a successful escape attempt acceptably low) and a Paladin (which makes his chances of criminal deception vanishingly small).

Mysti Tokana (Half-Elven Ranger - Witchguard, formerly Ranger/Magic User): her job is to keep Uncle Thaddeus alive, despite his best efforts to get involved in an adventure again, and to learn some interesting magical truths with which she was not previously acquainted (not to mention become better-acquainted with her human half courtesy of a human who will not wither away and break her heart); she and Thaddeus are rather attached to one another, but not otherwise very compatible given their difference in alignments.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

I'll give em a go buddy. ;)

What level are we talking for the modern day representations of our heroes. Could you give me a little timeline? What year in the Barovian Calendar did the Module supposedly take place and what year would we say is modern day?

Also what deity or allegiance do you want to say the cleric has, if not Ezra...

The more details you give me, the better I'll be able to accommodate you. :)
Rogold Gildenman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Rogold Gildenman »

Master Nemesio, thank you for your patience with my request!

Concerning your request for a timeline:-

According to the Illustrated History of the Core (which I am inclined to adhere to because it is very well-written and because paperback Ravenloft references are rather rare in my neck of the woods) Mordent formed in the Year 579 by the Barovian reckoning.

As far as I know the current year is 760 (Barovian Calendar) so that means the events of Module I-10 took place somewhere between 150 years and two centuries ago (my guess is that Strahd and Azalin found their way into Mordent sometime in 578BC and were driven out late in that year, although my guess is that there was an Interregnum between The Terrible Two departing and Lord Godefroy cementing his move from Chaotic Neutral to Darklord).

Concerning the Clerical domains to which Father Gildenman and Brother Summer have access: I'm not actually sure which deity the two of them are supposed to be in service to, since we are only told that they serve the High Faith in Osterton (and from what I can gather this is a Lawful faith, fairly militant but not exclusively so and reasonably-compassionate - except where Orcs are concerned).

I would suggest that we take a leaf from a conversion of these characters to what I believe is 3rd edition D&D which was pointed out to me in 'The Heroes of Gryphon Hill' thread a little down the 1st page of this particular board (appropriate sections reproduced below for your convenience): I'm not sure how helpful this will be.

Rogold Gildenman, male human Clr8 (of Heironeous, Good and Law): CR 8; Medium-size Humanoid (Human); HD 8d8+24; hp 63; Init -3 (Dex); Spd 20 ft. (chainmail); AC 14 (-3 Dex, +7 chainmail +2); Atk +2 heavy mace +8 melee (1d8+2) or staff-sling +3 ranged (1d6); SA Turn Undead 5× day; AL LG; SV Fort +9, Ref -1, Will +9; Str 11, Dex 5, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 14, Com 11.
Skills and Feats— Concentration +11, Diplomacy +11, Heal +11, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Knowledge (religion) +14, Scry +11, Spellcraft +14; Combat Casting, Iron Will, Leadership, Extra Turning.
Spells— 0— 6; 1st— 5; 2nd— 4; 3rd— 4; 4th— 2.
Domain Spells— 1st— protection from evil; 2nd— calm emotions; 3rd— magic circle against evil; 4th— holy smite.
Languanges— Common, Elvish, Gnomish, Hill Giant, Ogre.
Possessions— Footman’s mace +2, hammer, staff sling, horseman’s flail, rod of flailing, scroll of protection from evil, holy symbols (3), bay mare (medium horse) named Barnabas.

Phillipe Delamana, male human Pal9 (of Heironeous): CR 9; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 9d10+27; hp 81; Init +3 (Dex); Spd 20 ft.; AC 23 (+1 Dex, +9 full plate +1, +3 large steel shield +1); Atk +2 bastard sword +14/+9 melee (1d10+5 [1d10+6 two-handed]); SA Smite Evil +12 damage 1× day, Turn Undead as 7th level cleric 6× day; SQ Lay On Hands 27hp, Immune to Fear, Remove Disease 3× week; AL LG; SV Fort +14, Ref +9, Will +10; Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 17, Com 15.
Skills and Feats— Concentration +14, Handle Animal +15, Knowledge (religion) +5, Ride +13; Combat Reflexes, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword), Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (Bastard sword), Iron Will.
Spells— 1st— 2; 2nd— 1.
Languages— Common, Elvish, Dwarvish.
Possessions— Bastard sword +2 dragon bane, dagger +2, bronze horn of Valhalla, white paladin’s mount named Rembrania.

Rembrania, female heavy war horse: CR 6; Large Magical Beast; HD 4d10+4d8+24; hp 64; Init +1 (Dex); Spd 50 ft.; AC 20 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +10 natural); Atk 2 hoofs +13 melee (1d6+5); Face 5 ft. by 10 ft.; SQ Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Empathic Link, Share Saves; SR 5; AL LG; SV Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +3; Str 20, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 6.
Skills— Listen +7, Spot +7.

Brenda Of The Crimson Blade, female human Ftr10: CR 10; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 10d10+30; hp 89; Init +0 (Dex); Spd 20 ft.; AC 19 (+9 chainmail +4); Atk +1 bastard sword +17/+12 [+19/+14 vs. trolls) melee (1d10+8 [1d10+10 two-handed] +2d6 vs. trolls,) or longbow +10/+5 ranged (1d8); AL CN; SV Fort +12, Ref +3, Will +6; Str 20, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 12, Com 16.
Skills and Feats— Climb +11, Craft (Sword making) +4, Handle Animal +2, Jump +6, Ride +4, Swim +6; Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword), Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (Bastard sword), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Cleave, Sunder, Weapon Focus (Bastard sword), Weapon Specialization (Bastard sword).
Languages— Common, Troll.
Possessions— Troll-Cleaver bastard sword +1 [troll bane, +3 and +2d6 damage vs. trolls], longsword, dagger +2, 2 potions of healing, grey charger named Sugartooth.

T.G. Redanto, male human Rog8: CR 8; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 8d6; hp 31; Init +4 (Dex); Spd 30 ft.; AC 20 (+4 Dex, bracers of armor +6); Atk Short sword +11/+6 melee (1d6+2); SA Sneak Attack +4d6; SQ Evasion, Uncanny Dodge (Dex bonus to AC, can’t be flanked); AL N; SV Fort +2, Ref +10, Will -1; Str 15, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 15, Wis 5, Cha18, Com 16.
Skills and Feats— Appraise +7, Balance +10, Bluff +9, Climb +8, Decipher Script +7, Diplomacy +11, Disable Device +7, Escape Artist +9, Gather Information +9, Hide +15, Jump +8, Listen +4, Move Silently +15, Open Lock +13, Pick Pocket +12, Search +13, Spot +6, Swim +4, Tumble +7, Use Magic Device +8, Use Rope +5; Alertness, Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse (Short sword).
Languages— Common, Elvish, Halfling, Orcish, Drow.
Possessions— Short sword of wounding +1, dagger +3, thieves’ tools, rope of climbing, brown gelding (light horse) named Apricot.

Thadeus Mont Breezar, male human Wiz10: CR 10; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 10d4+20; hp 47; Init -2 (Dex); Spd 30 ft.; AC 10 (-2 Dex, ring of protection +2); Atk Quarterstaff +4 melee (1d6-1); AL LN; SV Fort +5, Ref +0, Will +5; Str 6, Dex 6, Con 15, Int 18, Wis 7, Cha 13, Com 12.
Skills and Feats— Alchemy +15, Concentration +15, Craft (Sculpting) +8, Craft (Woodcarving) +8, Craft (Jewelsmith) +8, Craft (Armorsmith) +12, Craft (Weaponsmith) +12, Knowledge (arcana) +17, Scry +17, Spellcraft +17; Combat Casting, Brew Potion, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Rod, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Spell Mastery(1)
Spells— 0— 4; 1st— 5; 2nd— 5; 3rd— 4; 4th— 4; 5th— 2.
Spellbook— 1st— alarm, burning hands, charm person, comprehend languages, detect secret doors, erase, feather fall, hold portal, hypnotism, identify, magic missile, magic weapon, message, obscuring mist, protection from evil, sleep, unseen servant, write; 2nd— arcane lock, blur, bull’s strength, daylight, detect thoughts, invisibility, knock, levitate, locate object, magic mouth, mirror mage, protection from arrows, pyrotechnics, resist elements, see invisibility, shatter, whispering wind; 3rd— clairvoyance, dispel magic, greater magic weapon, feign death, fireball, fly, haste, hold person, invisibility sphere, lightning bolt, protection from elements, secret page, tongues; 4th— arcane eye, dimension door, fear, fire shield, ice storm, Leomund’s secure shelter, minor globe of invulnerability, polymorph other, Rary’s mnemonic enhancer, wall of fire; 5th— cone of cold, fabricate, hold monster, passwall, stone shape, summon monster V, telekinesis, transmute rock to mud, wall of stone.
Languages— Common, Mountain Giant, Orcish, Red Dragon, Treantish, Illithid, Drow, Kuo-Toan.
Possessions— Dagger +3, shocking quarterstaff +1, alchemy jug, stone of controlling earth elementals, three scrolls of protection from evil, ring of water walking, black carriage drawn by a grey mare.

Amar Bori Sandflinger, male gnome Rog2/Ill6: CR 6; Small Humanoid (Gnome); HD 2d6+4d4+18; hp 38; Init +3 (Dex); Spd 20 ft.; (+1 size, +3 Dex, +2 leather armor); Atk Short sword + 3 melee (1d6-1, [two-weapon primary]) and +2 dagger +1 melee (1d4+1, [two-weapon secondary]); AL N; SV Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5; Str 8, Dex 17, Con 17, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 12, Com 9.
Skills and Feats— Alchemy +5, Appraise +4, Balance +5, Bluff +2, Climb +3, Concentration +7, Decipher Script +5, Disable Device +7, Escape Artist +5, Hide +10, Jump +1, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Listen +5, Move Silently +6, Open Lock +6, Pick Pocket +8, Scry +5, Search +6, Sense Motive +2, Spellcraft +6, Spot +5, Swim +0, Use Magic Device +3, Use Rope +4; Ambidexterity, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse (Short sword).
Spells— 0— 4; 1st— 5; 2nd— 5; 3rd— 4.
Spellbook— 0— all; 1st— cause fear, change self, color spray, comprehend languages, detect secret doors, hypnotism, mage armor, ray of enfeeblement, sleep; 2nd— blindness/deafness, blur, locate object, hypnotic pattern, invisibility, minor image, misdirection; 3rd— dispel magic, displacement, hold person, illusionary script, invisibility sphere, major image, nondetection, suggestion.
Languages— Common, Dwarvish, Gnome, Halfling, Goblin, Burrowing Mammals, Elf, Desert Nomad.
Possessions— Short sword, dagger +2, thief’s tools, spell book.

Brother Summer, male half-orc Clr5/Ftr1 (of Hieroneous, Law and War): CR 6; Medium-size Humanoid (half-orc); HD 5d8+1d10+18; hp 51; Init +3 (Dex); Spd 20 ft.; AC 22 (+1 Dex [max], +8 full plate, +3 large steel shield +1); Atk Heavy mace +8 melee (1d8+3,); SQ Turn Undead 1× day; AL LN; SV Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +4; Str 17, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 6, Com 7.
Skills and Feats— Climb +0, Concentration +6, Heal +2, Jump -3, Knowledge (religion) +3, Ride +5, Spellcraft +2, Swim +4; Combat Casting, Iron Will, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Heavy mace).
Spells 0— 5; 1st— 3; 2nd— 2; 3rd— 1.
Domain Spells 1st— protection from chaos; 2nd— spiritual weapon; 3rd— magic vestiment.
Languages— Common, Orcish, Desert Nomad.
Possessions— Incense of meditation (2 cubes), phylactery of faithfulness, roan clydesdale (heavy horse) named Muffin.

Mysti Tokana, female half-elf Rgr5/Wiz2: CR 7; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 5d10+2d4+14; hp 51; Init +0 (Dex); Spd 20 ft.; AC 15 (+5 elfin chain shirt +1); Atk Longsword +6/+1 melee (1d8+2, [two-weapon primary]) and short sword +5 melee (1d6, [two-weapon secondary]), or +2 longbow +8/+3 ranged (1d8+2); SA Favored Enemy (goblinoids) +2, Favored Enemy (undead) +1; SQ Track; AL CG; SV Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +6; Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 13, Com 11.
Skills and Feats— Animal Empathy +3, Climb +3, Concentration +6, Handle Animal +2, Heal +4, Hide +7, Intuit Direction +3, Jump +1, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (nature) +7, Listen +7, Move Silently +4, Ride +1, Spellcraft +3, Spot +8, Wilderness Lore +5; Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Expertise.
Spells— Ranger 1st— 1.
Spells— Wizard 0— 4; 1st— 3.
Spellbook— 0— all; 1st— charm person, detect secret doors, endure elements, erase, expeditious retreat, jump, magic missile, sleep, spider climb; 2nd— arcane lock, blur, detect thoughts, fog cloud, invisibility, knock, mirror image; 3rd— dispel magic, fireball, fly, hold person, lightning bolt, secret page, water breathing.
Languages— Common, Elvish, Gnome, Halfling, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Orcish, and Gnoll.
Possessions— Long bow +2, longsword +1, scarab of protection, spell book.

For the record I think of the deity whom these clerics serve as one deity with many avatars; the avatar in whom the party members take particular interest is a decidedly Chivalric one whom I shall refer to in future as 'The Archpaladin' and whose relics may well have influenced the budding faith of Ezra after it's Mordentish sect made it's quarters in the long-deserted but not QUITE ruinous Abbey.

I hope this has been reasonably helpful and if you wish me to provide further information I shall do my best. :)

Thank you again! :D
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Thanks. I think that will do... The Archpaladin it is! I like it. ;)

I will stat them all at 12th level, since the module has them at around 10th. I think it is fair to assume within 10 or so years after the events of the module, they gain a couple levels... They are obviously dead by 760 BC, which is probably why they've never been given updated stats...