more Stat Blocks for my Pathfinder/Ravenloft campaign

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: more Stat Blocks for my Pathfinder/Ravenloft campaign

Post by Nemesio »

Jester of the FoS wrote:A midde ground approach might work. Elena starts as a paladin, but switches unknowingly to inquisitor when she falls.
Thanks Jester.

For kicks I made her as a sort of "dread" paladin [basically similar to a paladin with slight modification as you and Ron had suggested]. I like both set of stats. I'm not sure which ones I'll use in my campaign yet. She does lose a lot of skills, but as Ron had also mentioned, she has a lot of followers to make up for her shortcomings. :)

ELENA FAITH-HOLD, Darklord of Nidala, CR 12 (XP 19,200)
Female human dread paladin of Belenus 11
LE Medium humanoid (human)
Init +2; Senses detect life (60 ft., DC 19); Perception +6
Aura despair (10 ft.), aura of justice (10 ft.), aura of resolve (10 ft.)
DEFENSE
AC 22, touch 11, flat-footed 21 (+1 Dex, +11 armor)
hp 82 (11d10+22)
Fort +13, Ref +9, Will +13
Defensive Abilities divine grace, divine health; Immune charm, disease, fear
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft. [30 ft. unarmored]
Melee +2 unholy bastard sword +19/+14/+9 (1d10+7 [one-handed] or 1d10+10 [two-handed]/17-20)
Special Attacks channel negative energy (DC 16, 6d6), closing the borders, convert, smite evil 4/day (+4 attack and AC, +11 damage)
Paladin Spell-Like Abilities (CL 11th; concentration +13)
At will—detect “evil”
Paladin Spells Prepared (CL 8th; concentration +10)
3rd—deadly juggernaut, discern lies (DC 17)
2nd—bull’s strength, saddle surge
1st—challenge evil (DC 15), divine favor, endure elements
STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 18
Base Atk +11; CMB +16; CMD 28
Feats Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), Improved Critical (bastard sword), Leadership, Mounted Combat, Power Attack (-3/+6 or +9), Ride-by Attack, Weapon Focus (bastard sword)
Skills Diplomacy +8, Handle Animal +8, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (nobility) +5, Knowledge (religion) +5, Perception +6, Ride +7 [+12 unarmored], Sense Motive +6
Languages Nidalan
SQ aura, detect disruption, divine bond (weapon +3, for 11 minutes, 2/day), lay on hands (5d6, 9/day), mercies (nauseated, sickened, staggered), persistence, sinkhole of evil
Gear +2 unholy bastard sword (“Caitlin”), +2 moderate fortification full plate, gold holy symbol of Belenus
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Aura of Despair (Su) Elena radiates a malign aura that causes enemies within 10 ft. of her to suffer a –2 morale penalty on all saving throws. Many Nidalans claim that when their Holy Protector is provoked by evil, she responds with a palpable fury; even the most wicked of beasts tremble before her righteous wrath.
Aura of Resolve (Su) Elena is immune to charm spells and spell-like abilities. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against charm effects. This ability functions only while Elena is conscious, not if she is unconscious or dead.
Aura of Justice (Su) Elena can expend two uses of her smite evil ability to grant the ability to smite evil to all allies within 10 feet, using her bonuses. Allies must use this smite evil ability by the start of Elena’s next turn and the bonuses last for 1 minute. Using this ability is a free action. Good creatures gain no benefit from this ability.
Closing the Borders (Su) When Elena wills it, the air around the borders of Nidala hazes over, obscuring vision with an inconstant waver. Those venturing into this murk find themselves wandering into insubstantial torture chambers. These illusions present the viewers as the main attraction, with teams of inquisitors working them over eagerly. The farther one progresses, the less the illusion fluctuates, and the more it seems to become real. Soon, wayfarers find themselves viewing the chamber through the eyes of its victims and feel a twinge of the pain the illusion depicts. If travelers are so foolish as to continue, it is likely they find themselves fully immersed in the illusion, except that it is no longer an illusion. Escapees from the domain wander from the border of the domain to its heart, the dungeons of Elena's castle.
Convert (Sp) At will, Elena can attempt to convert a foe to her side. The target must succeed at a DC 20 Will save or “see the light,” repenting their wicked ways and gladly joining Elena’s ranks. This effect acts as a powerful form of charm monster, except that Elena can only convert humanoids, and those who are converted will gladly die for her. If a target succeeds at its Will save, Elena cannot attempt to convert that creature again for 24 hours.
Detect “Evil” (Sp) Elena believes that she can detect evil at will. Furthermore, she believes that the inability of other spellcasters in Ravenloft to detect evil is a sure sign of their spiritual impurity. In truth, this ability performs just as the detect evil spell—except that instead of evil, Elena actually detects any strong emotions that the target creatures may feel toward her. Sadly, this ability does not distinguish between emotions. Elena interprets both the burning hatred of her foes and the boundless love of a suitor as purest evil, and lashes out at each.
Detect Life (Sp) By concentrating for a full round, Elena can detect the thoughts of any humanoid within 60 ft. Elena cannot read the creature’s thoughts, but she can hone in on them to root out creatures that may be hiding. Targets within range can make a DC 19 Will save to escape detection. Magic effects that shield thoughts also prevent discovery. Intriguingly, this power cannot detect infants or the insane.
Persistence (Su) Elena Faith-Hold hasn’t aged a day since becoming the darklord of Nidala. Though more than 150 years old, she is a beautiful woman, appearing as if she were still in her prime.
Smite Evil (Su) Elena can call out to “Belenus” to aid her in her struggle against evil. As a swift action, she chooses one target within sight to smite. If Elena has previously detected the target as “evil” (see below), she adds a +4 bonus to her attack rolls and a +11 bonus to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an “evil-aligned” dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus to damage increases to 22 points of damage. Regardless of the target, smite evil attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess. In addition, while smite evil is in effect, Elena gains a +4 deflection bonus to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If Elena targets a creature that she has not detected as evil, the smite is wasted with no effect. The smite evil effect remains until the target of the smite is dead or the next time the Elena rests and regains her uses of this ability. Elena can use this ability 4/day.

ELENA’S MOUNT [Cohort], CR 5 (XP 1,600)
Male advanced shadow unicorn
LE Large magical beast
Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +14
DEFENSE
AC 30, touch 15, flat-footed 24 (-1 size, +6 Dex, +8 natural, +7 armor)
hp 50 (5d10+30)
Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +5
Special Defenses shadow merge; DR 5/magic; Immune charm, compulsion, poison
OFFENSE
Speed 50 ft. [60 ft. unarmored]
Melee gore +14 (1d8+15 plus 1d4 fire); bite +14 (1d8+10), 2 hooves +12 (1d4+5)
Special Attacks flaming horn, powerful charge (2d8+20 plus 1d4 fire), terror scream (DC 20)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 8th; concentration +14)
3/day—blink (in shadowy areas only)
STATISTICS
Str 30, Dex 23, Con 23, Int 15, Wis 19, Cha 22
Base Atk +5; CMB +16; CMD 32
Feats Alertness, Multiattack
Skills Acrobatics +8 [+14 unarmored, +16 jumping, +24 jumping unarmored], Perception +14, Stealth +8 [+14 unarmored], Sense Motive +6, Survival +14 [+17 in forests], Swim +4 [+10 unarmored]; Racial Modifiers +3 Survival in forests, +4 Stealth
SQ magical strike
Gear masterwork half-plate barding, military saddle
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Flaming Horn (Su) A shadow unicorn can will its horn to burst into flame as a free action. Creatures hit by a shadow unicorn’s gore attack suffer regular damage as well as 1d4 fire damage. A strike from a shadow unicorn’s horn sets combustibles alight. Shadow unicorns are immune to their own flames.
Shadow Merge (Su) Shadow unicorns gain total concealment and always succeed on any Stealth checks when in shadowy areas. A shadow unicorn can suppress this ability if it wishes.
Terror Scream (Su) The terrifying screams of a shadow unicorn affects its victims as a fear spell (CL 8th, DC 20). Anyone who fails a Fear save and suffers a major effect will find their hair turned permanently white.

Whadda ya think? Any Better?
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

I thought I'd take a break from the damned darklords, so here are The Great Detective of Ravenloft and his sidekick.

ALANIK RAY, The Great Detective, CR 9 (XP 6,400)
Male elf investigator 10
LN Medium humanoid (elf)
Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +27
DEFENSE
AC 13, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+3 Dex)
hp 45 (10d8-10)
Fort +2, Ref +10, Will +6; +2 vs. enchantments
Defensive Abilities evasion, improved uncanny dodge, trap sense +3; Immune sleep
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Goldenfang +14/+9 (1d4+3/19-20)
Ranged mwk pistol +12 (1d8/x4)
Special Attacks sneak attack +5d6
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 10th; concentration +13)
3/day—detect magic
STATISTICS
Str 8, Dex 17, Con 9, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 13
Base Atk +7; CMB +6; CMD 19
Feats Alertness, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +7, Appraise +11, Climb +3, Craft (alchemy) +11, Diplomacy +14, Disguise +24 [+14 without hat of disguise], Disable Device +11, Escape Artist +11, Knowledge (arcana) +8, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +8, Knowledge (history) +8, Knowledge (local) +16, Knowledge (nobility) +8, Linguistics +7, Perception +27 [+22 without eyes of the eagle], Sense Motive +20, Sleight of Hand +16, Stealth +16, Survival +6, Swim -1, Use Magic Device +11; Racial Modifiers +2 Perception
Languages Elven, Darkonese, Draconic, Mordentish, Vaasi
SQ advanced talents (master of disguise), follow up, rogue talents (coax information, minor magic, follow clues, hard to fool), silent hunter, weapon familiarity
Gear eyes of the eagle, hat of disguise, Goldenfang (+4 dagger), mwk pistol and 10 bullets, masterwork thieves’ tools
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Coax Information (Ex) Alanik can use Bluff or Diplomacy in place of Intimidate to force an opponent to act friendly toward him.
Follow Clues (Ex) Alanik can use Perception to follow tracks as per the Survival skill.
Follow Up (Ex) Alanik can roll twice on any Diplomacy check made to gather information, and receives the information for both results. This takes the same amount of time as one check. If the lesser of the two reveals false information, Alanik is aware of it. False information is not revealed in this way if the people he questioned do not know it to be false.
Hard to Fool (Ex) Twice per day, Alanik can roll twice while making a Sense Motive check, and take the better result.
Master of Disguise (Ex) Once per day, Alanik gains a +10 bonus on a single Disguise check.
Silent Hunter (Ex) Alanik reduces the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5 and can make Stealth checks while running at a –20 penalty (this number includes the penalty reduction from this racial trait).

ARTHUR SEDGEWICK, The Good Doctor, CR 5 (XP 1,600)
Male middle age human expert 7
LG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +0; Senses Perception +15
DEFENSE
AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
hp 26 (7d8-7)
Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +7
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Ranged pistol +5 (1d8/x4)
STATISTICS
Str 8, Dex 11, Con 9, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 9
Base Atk +5; CMB +5; CMD 16
Feats Alertness, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms), Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus (Heal), Skill Focus (Perception)
Skills Appraise +12, Climb -1, Diplomacy +8, Heal +15 [+17 with healer’s kit], Knowledge (geography) +10, Knowledge (history) +12, Knowledge (local) +12, Perception +15, Profession (physician) +12, Profession (writer) +12, Sense Motive +14, Stealth +2, Survival +8, Swim -1
Languages Mordentish
Gear healer’s kit (10 uses), pistol and 10 bullets
Last edited by Nemesio on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

You sure have lots of stats! Good work. Been fiddling with Alanik too lately. He kind of builds himself mostly. So... No sleepless detective prc?

Also nice work including Sedgwick. In 3.5 I always wanted to give him a level or two of the doctor/chirugeon? ( can't remember the name or was it the scientist with biology? ) prestige class from LotB.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

:lol: You are right about Alanik. He did quite literally build himself.

I wanted to keep Arthur simple but I felt he needed some stats too. For now, until I run out of steam, I'm enjoying translating 3.5 to Pathfinder for one of my favorite campaigns. I'm a little nuts lately. I've had enough of this winter in New England. I commute by bicycle a lot so I spend most of my free time taking advantage of the shelter of my apartment. So if you have any requests....I do like to hunker down obsessing over fantasy, perhaps a little too much. :oops:

Well, thank you Giamarga for your comments. I'm glad you are enjoying some of what you see. :D
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Ivan Dragonov, the monster hunting monster....

IVAN DRAGONOV (Human Form), CR 20 (XP 307,200)
Human afflicted mountain loup-garou ranger 20
CG Medium humanoid (human, shapechanger)
Init +2; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +25
DEFENSE
AC 21, touch 12, flat-footed 19 (+2 Dex, +4 armor, +5 natural)
hp 250 (20d10+120)
Fort +18, Ref +14, Will +10
Defensive Abilities improved evasion; SR 25
Weakness triggers (pain, rage – force Ivan into hybrid form), Hamer’s curse
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +2 alchemical silver greataxe +29/+24/+19/+14 (1d12+10/x3)
Ranged +2 heavy crossbow +23/+18/+13/+8 (1d10+1/19-20)
Special Attacks favored enemy (animal +2, construct +4, giant +2, magical beast +2, shapechanger +8)
Ranger Spells Prepared (CL 17th; concentration +19)
4th—cure serious wounds, freedom of movement, nondetection
3rd—instant enemy, neutralize poison, venomous bolt
2nd—barkskin, bear’s endurance, hunter’s eye, protection from energy, snare
1st—alarm, abundant ammunition, endure elements, detect poison, detect snares and pits
STATISTICS
Str 22, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 9
Base Atk +20; CMB +26; CMD 38
Feats Cleave, Crossbow Mastery, Diehard, Dreadful Carnage, Endurance, Furious Focus, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Intimidating Prowess, Iron Will, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack (-6/+12 or +18), Precise Shot, Rapid Reload, Rapid Shot, Toughness, Track, Weapon Focus (greataxe)
Skills Acrobatics +3 [+6 unarmored], Climb +16 [+19 unarmored], Diplomacy -1, Heal +15, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (geography) +20, Knowledge (nature) +20, Linguistics +1, Perception +25, Sense Motive +2, Stealth +17 [+20 unarmored], Survival +25, Swim +16 [+19 unarmored]
Languages Falkovnian, Lamordian
SQ camouflage, change shape (human, hybrid, and dire wolf; polymorph), combat style (two-handed weapon), favored terrain (cold +2, forest +4, mountain +6, urban +2), hide in plain sight, hunter’s bond (companions), improved quarry, improved tracking, lycanthropic empathy (wolves and dire wolves), master hunter, woodland stride
Gear +2 alchemical silver greataxe, amulet of natural armor +5, backpack (containing the chemical banes of various creatures), +2 heavy crossbow and 40 bolts (tipped with the material banes or various creatures)
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Camouflage (Ex) Ivan can use the Stealth skill to hide in any of his favored terrains, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.
Favored Enemy (Ex) Ivan gains his favored enemy bonuses on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks against creatures of his selected types. Likewise, he gets these bonuses on weapon attack and damage rolls against them.
Favored Terrain (Ex) Ivan gains his favored terrain bonuses on initiative checks and Knowledge (geography), Perception, Stealth, and Survival skill checks when he is in those terrains. When Ivan is traveling through his favored terrain he normally leaves no trail and cannot be tracked (though he may leave a trail if he so chooses).
Hamer’s Curse (Su) Ivan no longer ages and his lycanthropy can never be cure unless Hamer’s curse is lifted. This would more than likely cause nearly 200 years of advanced age to catch up with him, killing him, and ending his condition anyway.
Hide in Plain Sight (Ex) While in any of his favored terrains, Ivan can use the Stealth skill even while being observed.
Hunter’s Bond (Ex) Ivan forms a bond with his hunting companions. This bond allows him to spend a move action to grant half his favored enemy bonus against a single target of the appropriate type to all allies within 30 feet who can see or hear him. This bonus lasts 2 rounds. This bonus does not stack with any favored enemy bonuses possessed by his allies; they use whichever bonus is higher.
Improved Quarry (Ex) As a free action, Ivan can denote one target within his line of sight as his quarry. Whenever he is following the tracks of his quarry, Ivan can take 20 on his Survival skill checks while moving at normal speed, without penalty. In addition, he receives a +4 insight bonus on attack rolls made against his quarry, and all critical threats are automatically confirmed. Ivan can have no more than one quarry at a time and the creature’s type must correspond to one of his favored enemy types. Ivan can dismiss this effect at any time as a free action. If Ivan’s quarry is killed or dismissed, he can select a new one after 10 minutes have passed.
Improved Tracking (Ex) Ivan gains a +2 bonus on Survival skill checks when following or identifying tracks. When he tracks, he can also attempt a Knowledge (nature) check at DC 15. On a success, Ivan can discern the type and condition of any animal or magical beast he tracks. By studying their tracks, Ivan is able to identify a rough approximation of their health, maneuverability, and their general behavior as compared to the norm.
Master Hunter (Ex) Ivan can always move at full speed while using Survival to follow tracks without penalty. He can, as a standard action, make a single attack against a favored enemy at his full attack bonus. If the attack hits, the target takes damage normally and must make a Fortitude DC 22 save or die. Ivan can choose instead to deal an amount of nonlethal damage equal to the creature’s current hit points. A successful save negates this damage. Ivan can use this ability once per day against each favored enemy type he possesses, but not against the same creature more than once in a 24-hour period.
Woodland Stride (Ex) Ivan may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. Thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion, however, still affect him.

IVAN DRAGONOV (Hybrid Form)
Human afflicted mountain loup-garou ranger 20
CE Large humanoid (human, shapechanger)
Init +2; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +25
DEFENSE
AC 21, touch 11, flat-footed 19 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +10 natural)
hp 270 (20d10+140); regeneration 2 (gold or fire)
Fort +19, Ref +14, Will +10
Defensive Abilities improved evasion; DR 15/gold and magic; SR 25
Weakness trigger (anger, fear, full moon, lust – forces into dire wolf form)
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +2 alchemical silver greataxe +29/+24/+19/+14 (1d12+11/x3), bite +21 (1d8+3 plus trip and curse of lycanthropy); bite +26 (1d8+7 plus trip and curse of lycanthropy), 2 claws +26 (1d6+7)
Ranged +2 heavy crossbow +22/+17/+12/+7 (1d10+1/19-20)
Special Attacks curse of lycanthropy (DC 18), favored enemy (animal +2, construct +4, giant +2, magical beast +2, shapechanger +8)
Ranger Spells Prepared (CL 17th; concentration +19)
4th—cure serious wounds, freedom of movement, nondetection
3rd—instant enemy, neutralize poison, venomous bolt
2nd—barkskin, bear’s endurance, hunter’s eye, protection from energy, snare
1st—alarm, abundant ammunition, endure elements, detect poison, detect snares and pits
STATISTICS
Str 24, Dex 15, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 9
Base Atk +20; CMB +28; CMD 40
Feats Cleave, Crossbow Mastery, Diehard, Dreadful Carnage, Endurance, Furious Focus, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Intimidating Prowess, Iron Will, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack (-6/+12 or +18), Precise Shot, Rapid Reload, Rapid Shot, Toughness, Track, Weapon Focus (greataxe)
Skills Acrobatics +6, Climb +20, Diplomacy -1 [+3 to alter the attitudes of wolves or dire wolves], Heal +15, Intimidate +24, Knowledge (geography) +20, Knowledge (nature) +20, Linguistics +1, Perception +25, Sense Motive +2, Stealth +20, Survival +25, Swim +20
Languages Falkovnian, Lamordian
SQ camouflage, change shape (human, hybrid, and dire wolf; polymorph), combat style (two-handed weapon), favored terrain (cold +2, forest +4, mountain +6, urban +2), hide in plain sight, hunter’s bond (companions), improved quarry, improved tracking, lycanthropic empathy (wolves and dire wolves), master hunter, woodland stride
Last edited by Nemesio on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

The Giamarga wrote: So... No sleepless detective prc?
What is prc?

Oh wait.... I get it. Yah. I do remember seeing that prc at one time and it did scream Alanik Ray, but I forgot all about it. Thanks Giamarga!

As for Arthur...are those 3/3.5 Ravenloft prestige classes you are talking about? Oh I get it now.... :D LotB :!: Maybe I could try to adept one of them. It would be a little underpowered as is, but I guess not for a character who has an NPC class to start with.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

If you wouldn't mind I'm curious to see how you'd build Jander Sunstar in Pathfinder. :D
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Nemesio wrote: Oh wait.... I get it. Yah. I do remember seeing that prc at one time and it did scream Alanik Ray, but I forgot all about it. Thanks Giamarga!
It does give some spelllike abilities though which some might not find fitting. For me as magic is real and arcane magic is the quasi scientific way it would very much make sense. Though I'm tempted to advance Ray to CR(character level;-) 15 to give him all the nifty stuff the class grants
As for Arthur...are those 3/3.5 Ravenloft prestige classes you are talking about? Oh I get it now.... :D LotB :!: Maybe I could try to adept one of them. It would be a little underpowered as is, but I guess not for a character who has an NPC class to start with.
[/quote]

Those were my thoughts in 3.5. It gives him some small healing ability.

But I wouldn't convert the sometimes whacky Ravenloft prestige classes unless absoutely neccessary.Instead use the wealth of options and material available for Pathfinder. (http://Www.d20pfsrd.com is a lot of help there...) A level or two of alchemist with the chirugeon and herbalist archetype would probably do.

But then again your builds for Ray and Sedgwick are a very nice minimalist approach which will probably be better overall design in that it pleases the most people. My builds can get a bit fiddly and complicated and with too much magic for some.

Oh an sorry for acronyms;-)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Nemesio wrote:Yikes! You got me. I forgot about the novel. I have never read "Shadowborn". I guess I should have before spouting off. :oops:
Nah... spout away. That's what these boards are for. It's not reasonable to expect everyone to have read all things Ravenloft before posting. Nidala just happens to feature large in my campaign, so I've done more than average research on the Shadowlands, and put a lot of thought into the subject, that's all. By the way, I didn't mean to imply that Shadowborn says anything directly about Elena at all. It doesn't. But it does show us The Great Kingdom in its prime and focuses on The Circle and Kateri's son Alexi. So what I meant was that I based some of those thoughts on Elena's character on the place and people she came from.

BTW, another point for paladin (or "paladin"): Elena keeps her people in line by claiming to protect them from Banemaw, the fictional dragon. Dragon slaying is paladin's work, not inquisitor's work. (Though now that I think about it, that could be seen as an instance of guile/trickery that I didn't account for before. Maybe a point for inquisitor after all...)
Ok another compelling argument....I'm beginning to feel like a blasphemer! What to do now? :?
Hope Elena doesn't find you. :elena: :)

Seriously though, if you see her more as a hands-on inquisitor, go for it. I happen to like the version that was cut from SotDR: http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Elena_Faithhold and used that in my campaign. It would need some updating for PF, but not much.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

This one is for Zilfer. :)

The self loathing vampiric gold elf, Jander Sunstar.

JANDER SUNSTAR, CR 21 (XP 409,600)
Male gold elf eminent vampire fighter 8/ranger 8
CN Medium undead (augmented humanoid)
Init +12; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +27
DEFENSE
AC 33, touch 19, flat-footed 24 (+8 Dex, +14 natural, +1 dodge)
hp 224 (16d10+120); fast healing 8
Fort +19, Ref +18, Will +9; +2 vs. enchantments, +2 vs. fear
Defensive Abilities bravery +2, channel resistance +7; DR 25/silver and magic; Immune undead traits, sleep; Resist cold 10, electricity 10; SR 21
Weaknesses vampire weaknesses
OFFENSE
Speed 50 ft.
Melee +2 short sword +27/+22/+17/+12 (1d6+14/17-20), +1 dagger +26/+21/+16 (1d4+11/17-20); slam +25 (1d4+13 plus black thumb)
Ranged mwk composite longbow +25/+20/+15/+10 (1d8+4/x3)
Special Attacks black thumb, blood drain, children of the night, create spawn, dominate (DC 29), favored enemy (monstrous humanoid +2, undead +4), weapon training (light blades +1)
Ranger Spells Prepared (CL 5th; concentration +8)
2nd—barkskin, speak with plants
1st—calm animals (DC 14), speak with animals
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 16th; concentration +23)
At will—light
STATISTICS
Str 28, Dex 26, Con —, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 24
Base Atk +16; CMB +25; CMD 43
Feats Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Double Slice, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Critical (dagger), Improved Critical (short sword), Improved Initiative, Improved Iron Will, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Toughness, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (dagger), Weapon Focus (short sword), Weapon Specialization (short sword)
Skills Acrobatics +10, Bluff +15, Climb +14, Craft (paintings) +8, Craft (sculptures) +10, Diplomacy +10, Disguise +7, Escape Artist +10, Fly +20, Handle Animal +10, Heal +10, Intimidate +15, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +8, Knowledge (geography) +11, Knowledge (nature) +18 [+20 in forest terrain], Knowledge (planes) +11, Knowledge (religion) +13, Perception +27, Perform (dance) +7, Perform (sing) +7, Perform (wind instruments) +12, Profession (gardener) +10, Ride +15, Sense Motive +28, Spellcraft +7, Stealth +27, Survival +19 [+22 in forest terrain], Swim +14; Racial Modifiers +8 Bluff, +10 Perception, +8 Sense Motive, +8 Stealth
Languages Elven, Balok, Falkovnian, Vaasi
SQ armor training 2, black thumb, change shape (dire bat or wolf, beast shape II), combat style (two-weapon combat), favored terrain (forest +4, mountains +2), gaseous form, hunter’s bond (companions), shadowless, spider climb, swift tracker, weapon familiarity, woodcraft, woodland stride
Gear carved wooden flute, carving tools and medium, full cloak, +1 dagger, mwk composite longbow (Str 18) and 24 arrows, partially finished works, +2 short sword, sharpened stakes, spare gloves and clothes
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Black Thumb (Su) Any plant Jander touches with his bare skin must make a Fortitude save DC 25 or suffer 1d4 points of damage each minute until it dies. Once started, only destroying Jander will stop this withering process. Jander cannot suppress this ability. Jander can feel the agony of plants he slowly kills, however, thus he usually tries to avoid contact.
Blood Drain (Su) Jander can suck blood from a grappled opponent; if he establishes or maintains a pin, he drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution damage. Jander heals 5 hit points or gains 5 temporary hit points for 1 hour (up to a maximum number of 248 temporary hit points) each round he drains blood.
Children of the Night (Su) Once per day, Jander can call forth 1d6+1 rat swarms, 1d4+1 bat swarms, or 2d6 wolves as a standard action. These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve Jander for up to 1 hour.
Create Spawn (Su) Jander can create spawn out of those he slays with blood drain or energy drain, provided that the slain creature is of the humanoid type. The victim rises from death as a vampire in 1d4 days. This vampire is under the command of Jander, and remains enslaved until his destruction. Jander may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than 26 HD; any spawn he creates that would exceed this limit become free-willed undead. Jander may free an enslaved spawn in order to enslave a new spawn, but once freed, a vampire or vampire spawn cannot be enslaved again. Jander never uses this ability, as he loathes the idea of creating more of his kind.
Dominate (Su) Jander can crush a humanoid opponent’s will as a standard action. Anyone Jander targets must succeed on a Will save DC 29 or fall instantly under his influence, as though by a dominate person spell (caster level 12th). The ability has a range of 30 feet.
Energy Drain (Su) Jander’s slam attack deals 2 negative levels on those hit. This ability only triggers once per round.
Favored Terrain (Ex) Jander gains his favored terrain bonuses on initiative checks and Knowledge (geography), Perception, Stealth, and Survival skill checks when he is in those terrains. When Jander is traveling through his favored terrain he normally leaves no trail and cannot be tracked (though he may leave a trail if he so chooses).
Favored Enemy (Ex) Jander gains his favored enemy bonuses on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks against creatures of his selected types. Likewise, he gets these bonuses on weapon attack and damage rolls against them.
Gaseous Form (Su) As a standard action, Jander can assume gaseous form at will (caster level 5th), but he can remain gaseous indefinitely and has a fly speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability. If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, Jander assumes gaseous form and attempts to escape. He must reach his coffin home within 2 hours or be utterly destroyed. (Jander can normally travel up to 9 miles in 2 hours.) Additional damage dealt to Jander after he is forced into gaseous form has no effect. Once at rest, Jander is helpless. He regains 1 hit point after 1 hour, then is no longer helpless and resumes healing at the rate of 8 hit points per round.
Hunter’s Bond (Ex) Jander forms a bond with his hunting companions. This bond allows him to spend a move action to grant half his favored enemy bonus against a single target of the appropriate type to all allies within 30 feet who can see or hear him. This bonus lasts 3 rounds. This bonus does not stack with any favored enemy bonuses possessed by his allies; they use whichever bonus is higher.
Shadowless (Ex) Jander casts no shadows and shows no reflection in a mirror.
Spider Climb (Ex) Jander can climb sheer surfaces as though under the effects of a spider climb spell.
Swift Tracker (Ex) Jander can move at his normal speed while using Survival to follow tracks without taking the normal –5 penalty. He takes only a –10 penalty (instead of the normal –20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.
Vampire Weaknesses (Su) Jander can survive exposure to direct sunlight but every time he begins his turn in an area of direct sunlight he is nauseated, takes 10 points of damage, and loses his fast healing ability for that round. Jander has also lost the following vampire weaknesses: garlic, holy symbols, and running water. Jander may also be instantly slain by driving a wooden stake through his heart while he is helpless (this is a full-round action). However, he returns to life if the stake is removed, unless his head is also severed and anointed with holy water.
Woodland Stride (Ex) Jander may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. Thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion, however, still affect him.
Last edited by Nemesio on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 16 times in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Very nice.

I like Ranger with companion bond for him. Though I'd probably multiclass him a bit from Rgr to reduce spellcasting before class level 8.(he never casts in the books and presumably gained many levels afterwards) Or make him a skirmisher. Or leave him as you have him :-) Maybe Lathander stopped granting him spells or he didnt pray for spells/use spells anymore and he only recently atoned/got over his blockade...

The alternate racial trait light bringer is an interesting touch esp given his history in Ravenloft.

Did you use std vampire or nosferatu?

Do you have the 2e Villains lore book? (It used to be available for free on WotC so I believe googling the PDF and downloading it should be allright) it has a very detailed history for him though he's only CR8 there...

Painting? Is that from the novel? I remember him carving his own flute. Also he seems more melee oriented in all the stories iirc. And he's a bit under equipped.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

I appreciate all your comments Giamarga. :D
The Giamarga wrote: I like Ranger with companion bond for him. Though I'd probably multiclass him a bit from Rgr to reduce spellcasting before class level 8.(he never casts in the books and presumably gained many levels afterwards) Or make him a skirmisher. Or leave him as you have him :-) Maybe Lathander stopped granting him spells or he didnt pray for spells/use spells anymore and he only recently atoned/got over his blockade...
As far as his spellcasting is concerned. I figure he always reserves his rangers spells for his jaunts in the wilderness. He is described as frequently running with wolves. His spells help him blend back in with nature which rejects him. I even found it ironic to give him the plant growth spell. No plant survives his touch so he concentrates on enriching plants with his spells from afar. I felt like giving him back some of his lost "elf-manity" to justify his CN alignment. Of course no amount of plant growth spells can make up for the number of trees he's inadvertently killed [feeling the slow anguishing death of every one] or his inability to touch a flower.
The Giamarga wrote:Did you use std vampire or nosferatu?

The main differences between std vampire and Ravenloft nosferatu is the nosferatu's sunlight resistance and lack of energy drain. Since Jander can't walk in the sunlight and can drain life energy with a touch...I figured std vampire better represented him better.
The Giamarga wrote:Do you have the 2e Villains lore book? (It used to be available for free on WotC so I believe googling the PDF and downloading it should be allright) it has a very detailed history for him though he's only CR8 there...

Yah I'll do that. Thank you for the suggestion.
The Giamarga wrote:Painting? Is that from the novel? I remember him carving his own flute. Also he seems more melee oriented in all the stories iirc. And he's a bit under equipped.
Very good point! :lol: I gotta give em a rank or two in Craft (woodcarving) :). I also agree that he's under-equipped. I equipped him as they did in CoD for 3rd edition, agreeing with their approach to his belongings. I assumed that He's not too materialistic, being an eminent wandering vampire that takes refuge in the most desolate regions of the Realm of Dread that he can find. I don't agree with much else in his stat block in CoD. His being a 16th-level fighter with practically no feats for instance. I did give him the same statistics as in there though, as they were pretty good.

I made him a ranger as that's what he's described as in his story in CotN:V. He is pretty equal in ranged and melee combat, as I believe every elf worth his salt should be (considering most of them have weapon familiarity as a racial feature). He prefers swordplay, but he still trains with his bow. I think I will change his combat style to two-weapon seeing how I just noticed his equipment in CotN:V lists a magic short sword and a magic dagger. :D

The painting skill is just another detail of his stats in CoD. In VotM, Didn't he paint with Ana in the asylum before being drawn into Barovia?

Thanks again for your feedback!
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

yeah, IIRC, he does some carving in the FR "Realms of ____" stories too.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I read VotM recently and I don’t remember him painting in the asylum. He was carving both the flute and one of strahd’s statures which says something about defeating a goblin king if I’m remembering correctly.

In my game I’m going to give him sunlight resistance but he looses his vampire abilities until he has a full ‘nights’ rest to gain them back. I kinda like to think the ending of VotM ends with him realizing he is no longer affected by sunlight (well not deathly) adds a kind of high note in my head compared to the fate of Strahd.

That’s just me, I do like your state block however! (Though I’m hesitant to have Party members interact with high levels that might steal the spotlight thus far I think I’ve made it cinematic and it will be awhile before my next ravenloft session so I have plenty of time to think.)

A Party member had asked to spar with the Jander, so I used the only stats I had which was the CoD stats. Thought it was somewhat appropriate but noticed I didn’t quite like the “full” thing. I can say I usually never do full detailed blocks and I like having ones to use. xD (I had just finished reading the book at this point so I was determined to have the party at least meet him. If only for a DM grin. Well after watching the duskblade get out classed then the paladin of the eternal order wanted to challenge him. He got beat to, (pretty easily when it’s level 16 vs level 7-8’s)

Duskblade wants to be trained by him now and they are on a boat going down the Musarde river or I should say “up” the river. Last session ended with Jolly Rogers attacking the ship. Should be an interesting battle I think. I was also thinking of beginning the Evil eye but we’ll see. Not the topic to go into that xD back on topic! :P
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

I like the idea of him being transformed by the mists and regaining the ability to move about in daylight. He would become absolutely lethal to other vampires. Watch out Strahd!

Also thank you for the note about him not painting in VotM. My memories of that book are pretty foggy. I used to have most of the Ravenloft novels and game supplements but I gave most of em to good will to make room during an insane cleanse. Really beginning to regret doing that now.