Re: more Stat Blocks for my Pathfinder/Ravenloft campaign

Post by Rogold Gildenman »

I'm ready to receive one when you are ready to send it! :D
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Little busy with work myself, but I'll write up something short and hopefully "sweet"...
Rogold Gildenman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Rogold Gildenman »

Just popping in to leave my best wishes; stay well Nemesio! :)
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

THE BEAST OF EHRENDTON!

THE BLACK DUKE, “THE BEAST OF EHRENDTON”, CR 17 (XP 102,400)
Male unique horned devil (cornugon) of corruption
LE Large outsider (devil, evil, extraplanar, lawful)
Init +10; Senses darkvision 60 ft., see in darkness; Perception +25
Aura fear aura (5 ft., DC 25)
DEFENSE
AC 37, touch 19, flat-footed 27 (-1 size, +10 Dex, +18 natural)
hp 217 (15d10+135); regeneration 5 (good weapons, good spells)
Fort +18, Ref +19, Will +14
Defensive Abilities disguise thoughts, rejuvenation; DR 10/good and silver; Immune detect thoughts, discern lies, fire, poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10; SR 27
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., fly 50 ft. (average)
Melee +3 deadly unholy whip +28/+23/+18 (1d4+12 plus stun), bite +22 (2d8+4), tail +22 (2d6+4 plus
infernal wound) or 2 claws +24 (2d6+9), bite +24 (2d8+9), tail +22 (2d6+4 plus infernal wound)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft. (15 ft. with whip)
Land-Based Powers (DC 25)
Darkon—forget
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 16th; concentration +24)
At will—dispel chaos (DC 23), dispel good (DC 23), magic circle against good, greater teleport (self plus
50 lbs. of objects only), persistent image (DC 23)
3/day—fireball (DC 21), lightning bolt (DC 21)
STATISTICS
Str 28, Dex 30, Con 28, Int 17, Wis 24, Cha 27
Base Atk +15; CMB +25 (+29 [+31 with whip] to disarm a foe); CMD 45 (47 vs. disarm attempts)
Feats Combat Expertise (-4/+4), Greater Disarm, Improved Disarm, Iron Will, Multiattack, Power Attack (-4/+8), Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (whip)
Skills Bluff +26, Diplomacy +23, Fly +17, Intimidate +26, Knowledge (geography) +8, Knowledge (local) +13, Knowledge (planes) +21, Perception +25, Sense Motive +22, Spellcraft +21, Stealth +24
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Infernal; telepathy 100 ft.
SQ change shape (medium or small humanoid, alter self), corruption points 3, liar, fiend’s favor, reality wrinkle (10,000 ft.), soul bargain
Gear +3 deadly unholy whip, phylactery (Huge black whip, 40 hit points, hardness 20, break DC of 40, CL 22)
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Change Shape (Su) The Black Duke has the change shape ability, as the spell alter self. He can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid.
Fiend’s Favor (Su) Once per day, The Black Duke can grant a touched creature a +2 profane bonus to one of the creature’s ability scores. This bonus stacks with any other bonus the creature may already have, and lasts for 24 hours. When the effect expires, the creature takes a –2 penalty to the same ability score for the next 24 hours. Another application of fiend’s favor not only negates the penalty, but restores the full bonus. The Black Duke is quite free with this ability — at least at first. He often approaches people who are in need of a short term ability boost for a specific situation offers them the “favor” for free in exchange for performing a simple task. The next day, when the affected creature is suffering from the penalty, the price for restoring the favor gets slightly higher, and so on — until a power-hungry character is willing to do just about anything in return.
Forget (Su) Once per day The Black Duke can cause all creatures within his reality wrinkle to forget all events of the past 24 hours if they fail a Will save DC 25. Any mind-affecting spells that were influencing the affected creatures are dispelled by this effect.
Soul Bargain (Sp) The Black Duke can enter a binding agreement with a mortal, at the cost of the mortal’s soul. The mortal victim must enter into the soul bargain willingly; The Black Duke cannot use any of his spells, spell-like abilities or supernatural abilities to coerce the victim, although he can use mundane trickery. Entering into a soul bargain is an unforgivably evil act, which might alter a character’s alignment, blocks divine spellcasters from receiving spells from good-aligned deities, and prevents resurrection. The Black Duke can grant a wish to a mortal (not an elemental, fey, outsider, or nonliving creature) once per day. Using this ability inflicts a negative level on the fiend, so he never use this ability lightly. Upon the mortal’s death (by any means), their soul is transferred to a gem (prepared as with the soul bind spell when the bargain is forged), even if the gem and the mortal are not on the same plane (or domain) at the same time. (A soul in Ravenloft cannot reach a gem outside the demiplane, however.) The Black Duke cannot directly cause the death of someone with a soul bargain. The bargain requires 1 hour to complete, and is utterly inviolable once forged. The only way to escape a soul bargain is to recover the gem after the mortal’s death and break it, freeing their soul and allowing them to be restored to life through the normal means. The Black Duke can break the contract at any time, although he only does so under extremely rare circumstances. The Black Duke can sense when a creature has sold their soul, and won’t waste his time bargaining with those who have nothing to offer him. The Black Duke take pains to hide his soul gem collection.
Rejuvenation (Su) Upon entering Ravenloft, The Black Duke was granted a phylactery. His phylactery came in the form of a huge black whip with 40 hit points, hardness 20, a break DC of 40, and a caster level of 22. When The Black Duke is reduced to 0 hit points his spirit retreats to the phylactery for 24 hours. After that time, he can attempt to possess any living humanoid or monstrous humanoid that passes within 150 feet, as magic jar (at the phylactery’s caster level). If The Black Duke succeeds, his victim is killed and he permanently takes possession of their body. Over the next few weeks, the victim’s form slowly warps to recreate The Black Duke’s natural form, although he can typically use all of his special abilities from the moment he is reborn. If the magic jar fails, the humanoid is immune to possession attempts from The Black Duke for 24 hours. The Black Duke can make new possession attempts at will as a full-round action.
Stun (Su) Whenever The Black Duke hits with a whip attack, the opponent must succeed on a DC 26 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. This ability is a function of The Black Duke, not of the whip. The save DC is Strength-based.
Last edited by Nemesio on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Might I suggest a spoiler tag for one's specifically to our 'Javenloft' Campaign? Upon researching what NPC this might be, I found out an awesome add on to Nova Vassa that I might use for my home campaign but :P I probably don't need to know this is a probable future hook in current campaign. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Not to worry Mat. I wouldn't put the party directly up against a challenge rating 17!

Also, I changed him from a fiend of blasphemy to a fiend of corruption, which I believe fits a little better...
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Nemesio wrote:Not to worry Mat. I wouldn't put the party directly up against a challenge rating 17!

Also, I changed him from a fiend of blasphemy to a fiend of corruption, which I believe fits a little better...
*Eyes you suspiciously* Suuuuuure you wouldn't....

*Cough*MALKEN*Cough*

Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Hey all. Been a while since I've been on here. Glad to see so much activity still going on. :)

Got some more stats if anybody is interested...

THE HIGH MASTER ILLITHID, CR 18 (XP 153,600)
Bluetspur illithid occultist 20
LE Medium aberration (psychic)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +45
DEFENSE
AC 27, touch 14, flat-footed 23 (+4 Dex, +9 natural, +4 shield)
hp 256 (31d8+113)
Fort +21, Ref +18, Will +29
SR 19
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee 4 tentacles +27 (1d4+2 plus grab) or +5 wounding adamantine light mace +28/+23/+18/+13 (1d6+7 plus 1 bleed)
Ranged mwk light crossbow +28 (1d8/19-20); Range 80 ft.
Special Attacks mind blast (60 ft. cone, Will DC 22 negates, stunned for 3d4 rounds), remove brain
Base Statistics
Perception +43, Fort +18, Ref +15, Will +26; Melee 4 tentacles +27 (1d4+1 plus grab) or +3 adamantine light mace +27/+22/+17/+12 (1d6+4); Str 12; CMB +24 (+28 to start or maintian a grapple); CMD 38 (+2 per tentacle attached against breaking or reversing grapple)
Implement Schools
Abjuration (amulet of a Thaani nobleman [amulet of natural armor +5], 6 points)—Resonant warding talisman (+3); Focus energy shield (100 points of energy damage), mind barrier (40 points of damage), object seer (commune with object in possession)
Conjuration (compass of a Godefroy fisherman, 4 points)—Resonant casting focus (+2); Focus conjure implement (200 minutes), servitor (summon monster VII)
Divination (Tarokka Deck, 4 points)—Resonant third eye (+2); Focus danger sight (+10), sudden insight (+10)
Necromancy (femur of a lich, 3 points)—Resonant necromantic focus (80 HD, -1 saves); Focus mind fear (DC 29), psychic curse (DC 29)
Transmutation I (scepter of a dwarf lord [+3 adamantine light mace], 3 points; belt of a Renier adventurer, 3 points; vest of a D’Honaire stage magician, 3 points)—Resonant physical enhancement (+2 Str); Focus legacy weapon (+4), philosopher’s touch (7 weapons; 24 minutes)
Transmutation II (vest of a D’Honaire stage magician, 3 points)—Focus telekinetic mastery (24 rounds)
Transmutation III (boots of a Renier adventurer, 3 points);—Focus mind over gravity (24 minutes)
Occultist Spells Known (CL 20th; concentration +29 [+33 defensive])
6th (7/day)—animate objects, disintegrate (DC 25), globe of invulnerability, harm (DC 25), heal, legend lore, transformation
5th (7/day)—awaken construct, fabricate, greater dispel magic, overland flight, secret chest, true seeing, unwilling shield (DC 24)
4th (7/day)—death ward, echolocation, major creation, mind probe (DC 23), rapid repair, soothe construct, treasure stitching
3rd (7/day)—animate dead, clairaudience/clairvoyance, cure serious wounds, gaseous form, greater magic weapon, stone shape, thaumaturgic circle
2nd (7/day)—apport object, arcane lock, brow gasher (DC 21), locate object, make whole, spider climb, warp wood
1st (8/day)—charge object, crafter's fortune, mage armor, mindlink, pass without trace, sculpt corpse, warding weapon
0 (at will)—create water, detect psychic significance, grave words, mage hand, mending, open/close, resistance
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 8th; concentration +14 [+18 defensive])
Constant—mental barrier I
At will—charm monster (DC 20), detect thoughts (DC 18), levitate, plane shift (self only), suggestion (DC 19)
STATISTICS
Str 14, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 28, Wis 21, Cha 23
Base Atk +23; CMB +25 (+29 to start or maintian a grapple); CMD 39 (+2 per tentacle attached against breaking or reversing grapple)
Feats Ability Focus (mind blast), Alertness, Combat Casting, Craft Construct, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, Extra Mental Focus, Implement Focus, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Rapid Focus Shift, Strong Implement Link (abjuration; amulet of a Thaani nobleman [amulet of natural armor +5]), Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (tentacle), Xenoglossy
Skills Craft (alchemy) +22, Craft (jewelry) +22, Craft (traps) +22, Craft (weapons) +30, Diplomacy +19, Disable Device +22, Disguise +19, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (arcana) +22, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +22, Knowledge (engineering) +22, Knowledge (geography) +22, Knowledge (history) +22, Knowledge (religion) +22, Perception +45, Sense Motive +43, Spellcraft +43, Stealth +38, Use Magic Device +50
Languages Undercommon, Balok, Forfarian, Thaani, Vaasi; telepathy 100 ft.
SQ aura sight, binding circles, fast circles, favored class (occultist; 20 hit points), implements (7), magic circles, magic item skill +10, mental focus (26 [4 points of which can only be used on a transmutation implement), object reading, outside contacts (3 medium lightning elementals), shift focus
Gear amulet of natural armor +5, The Rod of Rastinon
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Aura Sight (Su) The High Master Illithid can read the auras of creatures around it as a standard action. This functions as the aura sight spell with a duration of 1 round.
Binding Circles (Su) Whenever The High Master Illithid creates a magic circle it can expend 1 additional point of mental focus to make it a binding circle. A binding circle is invisible and counts as a trap. If a living creature of the corresponding alignment steps inside it, the trap triggers and binds the creature inside the circle. While it can move freely within the circle, it can't leave the circle, make attacks against targets outside the circle, cast spells that cross the circle's boundary (the circle blocks line of effect from the inside), or use any ability that would allow it to leave the circle or disturb the circle in any way. When the circle traps a creature in this way, the creature can attempt a Reflex save (DC 29) to dive out of the circle before the magic takes hold. A creature that can see the circle gains a +4 bonus on this save. If it fails its save, the creature must remain in the circle, although it can attempt a Will save at the same DC at the end of each hour of imprisonment to escape. A binding circle can be spotted with a successful Perception check (DC 35). It can also be disarmed using Disable Device, with the same DC. Anything crossing the boundary of the circle from the outside, such as a weapon, spell effect, or special ability, immediately breaks the circle and frees the creature trapped inside.
Casting Focus (Su) The High Master Illithid’s conjuration implement empowers the bearer's ties to the worlds beyond, allowing its spells to maintain their power for a longer period of time. The bearer can add the implement as an additional focus component to any conjuration spell it casts that has a duration measured in rounds per level. If The High Master Illithid does so, it adds 1 to its caster level for every 2 points of mental focus stored in the implement (to a maximum 20). This increase applies only when determining the duration of the spell. Apply this increase after other effects that adjust a spell's duration, such as Extend Spell.
Conjure Implement (Sp) The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus to conjure any item that qualifies as an implement that it knows how to use. This implement can be used as the item in question, functioning as a masterwork version of that item, and can also be used to cast The High Master Illithid’s psychic spells, even though it did not select it at the beginning of the day. For the transmutation school, The High Master Illithid must decide which set of spells the conjured implement will grant when it first conjures it. The implement can't be used to store mental focus or create any effects that require mental focus. The implement lasts for 200 minutes.
Danger Sight (Sp) As an immediate action, The High Master Illithid can protect itself from harm by expending 1 point of mental focus. The High Master Illithid can use this ability whenever it is the target of an attack or is required to attempt a saving throw against a special ability, spell, or trap. Doing so grants The High Master Illithid a +10 insight bonus to its AC or on its saving throw. This bonus applies only to the next attack against The High Master Illithid or saving throw it attempts, and if not applied by the end of the round, the protection fades and The High Master Illithid gains no benefit. Energy Shield (Sp) As a swift action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus to surround itself with a shield that protects it from energy damage. Whenever The High Master Illithid takes acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage, the shield absorbs the damage (as protection from energy). The energy shield can absorb up to 100 points of energy damage. This shield lasts for 1 minute or until its power is exhausted. Its effect doesn't stack with itself, with protection from energy, or with resist energy. The High Master Illithid can activate the energy shield as an immediate action by expending 2 points of mental focus instead of 1.
Fast Circles (Su) The High Master Illithid has learned to draw magic circles very quickly. It can draw a magic circle as a full-round action, but any circle drawn in this way has a duration of 20 minutes (unless it's drawn in conjunction with the outside contact class feature, in which case it lasts for 10 minutes as normal). If The High Master Illithid draws a binding circle in this way, its duration is 20 rounds.
Grab (Ex) The High Master Illithid can grab creatures of up to Large size with its tentacles. If The High Master Illithid begins its turn with at least one tentacles attached, it can try to attach its remaining tentacles with a single grapple check. The opponent can escape with a single successful grapple check or an Escape Artist check, but The High Master Illithid gets a +2 circumstance bonus for every tentacle that was attached at the beginning of the opponent’s turn.
Implement Mastery (Su) The High Master Illithid has mastered the transmuation implement school. Whenever it uses a focus power from an implement of that school, the DC to resist any of the effects increases by 4 and it treats its occultist level as 4 higher when determining the effects and duration of that power. In addition, The High Master Illithid gains 4 extra points of mental focus, but these points must always be invested in implements of the mastered school. The High Master Illithid can't save these points or expend them for any ability other than the focus powers of those implements. The hardness of each of The High Master Illithid's implements of the mastered school increases by an additional 20 as long as the item has at least 1 point of mental focus stored within.
Implements (Su) Each implement school is represented by a small list of objects. Every day, The High Master Illithid selects one item from that school's list to be its implement for the day for each implement school he knows. The High Master Illithid needs only one such item to cast spells of the corresponding schools, except transmutaion, in which case it needs one item for each set of spells gained from that school. Implements don't need to be magic items, and non-magical implements don't take up a magic item slot even if they're worn. Implements that are not magic items are often of some historical value or of personal significance to The High Master Illithid. Whenever The High Master Illithid casts a spell, it must have the corresponding implement in its possession and present the implement to the target or toward the area of effect. This act is part of casting the spell and doesn't require any additional action. If The High Master Illithid lacks the corresponding implement, it can attempt to cast the spell, but must succeed at a concentration check (DC = 20 + the spell's level) to do so. Spells cast by The High Master Illithid without the appropriate implement are always treated as if they were cast at the minimum caster level for the spell in question.
Legacy Weapon (Su) As a standard action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus and touch a weapon to grant it an enhancement bonus. The bonus is equal to +4. Enhancement bonuses gained by this ability stack with those of the weapon, to a maximum of +5. The High Master Illithid can also imbue the weapon with any one weapon special ability with an equivalent enhancement bonus less than or equal to its maximum bonus by reducing the granted enhancement bonus by the appropriate amount. The item must have an enhancement bonus of at least +1 (from the item itself or from legacy weapon) to gain a weapon special ability. In either case, these bonuses last for 1 minute.
Magic Circles (Su) The High Master Illithid has learned how to draw magic circles. To draw a circle, it must have chalk, salt, blood, powdered silver, or some other appropriate substance at hand (although it can press a magic circle into a softer surface such as dirt or clay). Drawing a circle takes 1 minute and requires The High Master Illithid to expend 1 point of mental focus (either generic focus or focus from any one of its implements). Once completed, this circle functions as a permanent magic circle against any alignment of The High Master Illithid's choosing. The circle can't be against a component of The High Master Illithid's alignment. The circle remains until its form is physically broken. Only a living creature can break the circle; environmental effects can't break it. The High Master Illithid can have only one circle created in this way at a time. If it creates a second circle, the first one loses all its magic powers. This type of magic circle can't normally be focused inward to bind an outsider.
Mental Focus (Su) The High Master Illithid has 24 points of mental focus, which it can invest into its implements at the beginning of the day to access its implement schools’ resonant and focus powers. The High Master Illithid can divide the focus in any way it desires. It takes 1 hour for The High Master Illithid to invest its implements with mental focus. Once The High Master Illithid invests mental focus in an implement, the implement gains its school’s resonant power, and The High Master Illithid can spend mental focus stored in the implement to access its focus powers. The implement grants its resonant power to whoever possesses it (allowing The High Master Illithid to aid allies, but making its spells more difficult to cast; see Implements above). The High Master Illithid must be holding its implements to expend their focus powers. The High Master Illithid can choose to save generic mental focus inside its own body instead of investing it. The High Master Illithid can expend generic focus on any focus power it knows, but doing so costs twice as many points of mental focus, and an implement into which it did not invest mental focus grants no resonant power. If one of its implements is lost or destroyed, the invested mental focus is lost. Mental focus refreshes once each day after The High Master Illithid sleeps for at least 8 hours.
Mind Barrier (Sp) As a swift action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus to create a shield of mental energy around it that protects it from harm. The shield prevents a total of 40 points of damage. It lasts until the start of The High Master Illithid’s next turn or until exhausted. The High Master Illithid can activate this ability as an immediate action, but doing so costs 2 points of mental focus instead of 1.
Mind Blast (Sp) The High Master Illithid can emit a powerful blast of pure mental energy that stuns all creatures within a cone-shaped area. Creatures caught in the area of a mind blast are stunned for 3d4 rounds (DC 22 negates). The High Master Illithid is immune to mind blasts from other creatures. This is a mind-affecting enchantment (compulsion) effect and the equivalent of a 4th-level spell.
Mind Fear (Sp) As a standard action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus to cause a living creature to succumb to fear. The target must be within 30 feet of The High Master Illithid, and it can attempt a Will saving throw (DC 29) to negate the effect. If the target fails the save and has a number of Hit Dice less than or equal to The High Master Illithid, it is frightened for 1d4 rounds. If the target fails the saving throw and has a number of Hit Dice greater than The High Master Illithid, it is instead shaken for 1d4 rounds. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.
Mind Over Gravity (Sp) As a standard action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus to give itself a fly speed of 60 feet with perfect maneuverability. This effect lasts for 20 minutes.
Necromantic Focus (Su) The High Master Illithid’s necromancy implement grants its possessor greater power over the undead. Whoever possesses the implement can control an additional 2 Hit Dice of undead for every point of mental focus invested in the item (to a maximum of 80 additional Hit Dice). Any spellcaster who bears the implement can add it as an additional focus component for a necromancy spell it casts to create undead. If it does so, it can create an additional number of HD of undead equal to the additional HD the implement allows him to control (apply this effect after doubling the HD of undead for desecrate, if applicable). Undead creatures take a –1 penalty on saving throws against spells cast by the bearer of this implement for every 4 points of mental focus invested in this implement.
Object Reading (Su) The High Master Illithid has learned how to read information from items it examines. Examining an item in this way requires it to spend 1 minute handling the item. If the item is a magic item, The High Master Illithid learns its properties and command word as if it had successfully examined the item using detect magic and succeeded at a Spellcraft check. This ability does not reveal whether the item is cursed unless The High Master Illithid's class level is equal to or greater than the caster level of the item. If the item has any historical significance, The High Master Illithid learns one piece of information about its past (as determined by the GM). Finally, if the item was last used no longer than 20 days ago, it learns one piece of information about the last creature to use the item. This information might be a glimpse of the creature's appearance, a brief vision of what it saw while using the item, or perhaps its emotional state when it last used the item. The GM determines what information is gained in this way. This functions like the psychometry occult skill unlock, but doesn't require a skill check and can be used at will.
Object Seer (Sp) As a full-round action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus to gain insight into an object its your possession. The High Master Illithid can ask one question, but that question must be tied in some way to the object, such as the nature of its power, the identity of the creature that last possessed it, or even where the object was when a certain event took place. The High Master Illithid always receives an answer from the psychic impressions imprinted upon the item, but they are sometimes cryptic or misleading. This ability otherwise functions as commune.
Outside Contact (Su) The High Master Illithid has learned the true names of a trio of medium lightning elementals. Whenever The High Master Illithid creates a magic circle, it can expend 1 additional point of mental focus to focus the circle inward and lure one such elemental to the circle (similar to using lesser planar binding). The elemental is bound for up to 10 minutes. During this time, The High Master Illithid can bargain with it for up 4 pieces of information. The questions must be in some way related to one another and they requires a payment of at least 20 gp (or items of at least that value that are of interest to a lightning elemental). The bargaining requires The High Master Illithid to attempt a Diplomacy or Intimidate check opposed by the elemental's Sense Motive check. Succeeding at the check by 5 or more reduces this cost to 10 gp. Failure increases the price to 30 gp, whereas failure by 5 or more allows the elemental to escape without giving any information (or receiving payment). The information gained can be anything that might be learned through a divination spell. The information is always correct but is frequently cryptic. It typically takes a lightning elemental 1d3 hours to gather the information, at which point it returns of its own accord to deliver the information as promised. In lieu of asking questions, The High Master Illithid can demand that a medium lightning elemental deliver a message to any one friendly creature that it knows personally. The High Master Illithid can also task the elemental to deliver one object weighing no more than 1 pound. Either of these demands requires an opposed check as described above. Delivery typically takes 1d4 hours, but this period is reduced to 1d6 minutes if the recipient is within 1 mile of The High Master Illithid (or even less if the recipient is within sight). The High Master Illithid must be able to accurately describe the recipient in both name and appearance. This ability can't be used to deliver anything to a location, or to enemies or creatures that are unfriendly to The High Master Illithid. Each of the three medium lightning elemental resents being used in these ways. After The High Master Illithid bargains with a given elemental, the magic circle loses all power and the elemental departs.
Philosopher’s Touch (Su) As a standard action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus and touch up to 7 weapons, causing them to gain the properties of a special material. It can cause the weapons to be treated as cold iron or silver for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction for 20 minutes. The High Master Illithid can cause any weapon affected by this ability to act as if it were adamantine instead (but only for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction, not for overcoming hardness).
Psychic Curse (Sp) As a standard action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus to curse a living creature within 30 feet with its psychic magic. It can choose one of the following effects: memory lapse, mental block, or pain confusion.
If The High Master Illithid chooses memory lapse, the target loses its memory of the past 20 hours.
If The High Master Illithid chooses mental block, it can proscribe one specific action, such as attacking with a type of weapon, casting a specific spell, or something else suitably specific (subject to the GM's discretion). The target can't take that action without first succeeding at a Will save (DC 29). If it fails, it can take other actions instead. If it attempts the prohibited action again on subsequent rounds, it gains a cumulative +2 bonus on the save until it succeeds.
If The High Master Illithid selects pain confusion, the creature is confused for 1d4 rounds whenever it is damaged by a critical hit. The target can attempt a Will save (DC 29) to negate this effect. This effect lasts for 20 days.
A creature can't be under the effects of more than one psychic curse at a time. This is a mind-affecting curse effect.
Physical Enhancement (Su) The High Master Illithid’s transmutation implement enhances its bearer's body. When The High Master Illithid invests mental focus in the implement, it selects a physical ability score. The implement grants a +2 temporary enhancement bonus to that physical ability score for every 3 points of mental focus invested in the implement (to a maximum of +8).
Remove Brain (Ex) Whenever The High Master Illithid illithid begins its turn with all four tentacles attached and makes a successful grapple check, it automatically removes the opponent’s brain, instantly killing that creature. This ability is useless against constructs, elementals, oozes, plants, and undead. It is not instantly fatal to foes with multiple heads, such as ettins and hydras.
Servitor (Sp) As a standard action, The High Master Illidthid can expend 1 point of mental focus to summon a servitor. This ability functions as summon monster VII, but The High Master Illithid can use it only to summon a single creature, and the effect lasts for 1 minute. The High Master Illithid can't have more than one servitor in effect at a time. At any time, it can expend 1 point of mental focus as a free action to extend the duration of an active servitor by 1 minute.
Shift Focus (Su) The High Master Illithid has the ability to shift its mental focus from one implement to another, though some of the focus is lost along the way. Shifting mental focus removes a number of points of mental focus from one implement and adds the same number – 1 to another implement; this takes 1 minute of quiet contemplation while touching both implements. The High Master Illithid can shift its mental focus only from one implement to another implement; it can't shift generic focus into an implement. Unlike expending focus normally, this shift can reduce the effect of a resonant power in the implement from which the mental focus was taken. It does not, however, add to the resonant power of the implement to which the focus is added.
Sudden Insight (Sp) As a swift action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus to gain an insight into its immediate future. The High Master Illithid can use this foreknowledge as a free action before it rolls any ability check, attack roll, or skill check to gain an +10 insight bonus on that roll. The High Master Illithid can use its foreknowledge only once per turn, and if it's not used by the end of its turn, the insight fades and it gains no benefit.
Telekinetic Mastery (Sp) As a standard action, The High Master Illithid can expend 1 point of mental focus to grant itself telekinetic power. This functions as telekinesis, except The High Master Illithid doesn't need to concentrate on the effect to maintain it, and using any one of its effects is a standard action. This effect lasts for 20 rounds.
Third Eye (Su) The High Master Illithid’s divination implement allows its bearer to notice that which can't easily be seen. The implement grants a +1 insight bonus on Perception checks per 2 points of mental focus stored in it, to a maximum bonus of +20. If The High Master Illithid stores at least 3 points of mental focus in it, the implement also grants low-light vision. If The High Master Illithid stores at least 6 points of mental focus in it, the implement also grants darkvision 60 feet. (If the bearer already has darkvision, the implement increases the range of the darkvision by 30 feet.) If The High Master Illithid stores at least 9 points of mental focus in it, the implement also grants the effects of see invisibility. If The High Master Illithid stores at least 12 points of mental focus in it, the implement also grants blindsense 60 feet. If The High Master Illithid stores at least 15 points of mental focus in it, the implement also grants blindsight 30 feet.
Warding Talisman (Su) The High Master Illithid’s abjuration implement wards against adverse effects. Whoever wears his amulet of natural armor +5 gains a +1 resistance bonus on saving throws for every 2 points of mental focus invested in the implement, to a maximum bonus of +6.

IMPLEMENT SPELL LISTS

Abjuration
6th—globe of invulnerability; 5th—greater dispel magic; 4th—soothe construct; 3rd—thaumaturgic circle; 2nd—arcane lock ; 1st—warding weapon; 0—resistance
Conjuration
6th—heal; 5th—secret chest; 4th—major creation; 3rd—cure serious wounds; 2nd—apport object; 1st—mage armor; 0—create water
Divination
6th—legend lore; 5th—true seeing; 4th—mind probe; 3rd—clairaudience/clairvoyance; 2nd—locate object; 1st—mindlink; 0—detect psychic significance
Necromancy
6th—harm; 5th—unwilling shield; 4th—death ward; 3rd—animate dead; 2nd—brow gasher; 1st—sculpt corpse; 0—grave words
Transmutation I
6th—disintegrate; 5th—fabricate; 4th—treasure stitching; 3rd—stone shape; 2nd—warp wood; 1st—crafter's fortune; 0—mending
Transmutation II
6th—animate objects; 5th—awaken construct; 4th—rapid repair; 3rd—greater magic weapon; 2nd—make whole; 1st—charge object; 0—open/close
Transmutation III
6th—transformation; 5th—overland flight; 4th—echolocation; 3rd—gaseous form; 2nd—spider climb; 1st—pass without trace; 0—mage hand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MEDIUM LIGHTNING ELEMENTAL, CR 3 (XP 800)
N Medium outsider (air, elemental, extraplanar)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +7
DEFENSE
AC 16, touch 15, flat-footed 11 (+4 Dex, +1 dodge, +1 natural)
hp 26 (4d10+4)
Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +1
Immune electricity, elemental traits
OFFENSE
Speed fly 100 ft. (perfect)
Melee slam +8 (1d6+3 plus 1d4 electricity)
Special Attacks metal mastery, spark leap
STATISTICS
Str 14, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Base Atk +4; CMB +6; CMD 21
Feats Dodge, Improved Initiative, Weapon FinesseB
Skills Acrobatics +11, Escape Artist +9, Fly +12, Knowledge (planes) +2, Perception +7
Language Auran
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Metal Mastery (Ex) A lightning elemental gains a +3 bonus on attack rolls if its opponent is wearing metal armor, is wielding a metal weapon, or is made of metal (such as an iron golem).
Spark Leap (Ex) A lightning elemental gains a +10 bonus on bull rush, disarm, overrun, and trip attacks when it charges a creature against whom its metal mastery ability applies.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

How did you get CR 18 on an illithid with 20 class levels?
Cromstar
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Cromstar »

The Lesser Evil wrote:How did you get CR 18 on an illithid with 20 class levels?
Well, if this is the one from ToD adventure
VIEW CONTENT:
he IS trying to stuff his mind into a brand-new illithid spawn that lacks a lot of this power...
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Wall O Text.:) Just hope we don't run into something like that. xD

Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

The Lesser Evil wrote:How did you get CR 18 on an illithid with 20 class levels?
Well. I added one point of challenge per 2 class levels to a 8 CR creature. Any party of 20th level characters should be able to mop the floor with him. ;)

He was a metapsionicist in 2nd edition but I thought it better to give him something to set him apart from the God-Brain.

With his interest in the Apparatus and the fact that was resourceful enough to have it re-built (I'm assuming it didn't just appear with Bluetspur when it formed), I figured occultist would be a better fit than psychic. The High Master Illithid is also mentioned to have created a transforming psionic dagger for the bounty hunter, Bonespur.

Speaking of which...

LEADER OF THE BONE DAGGERS MERCENARY BAND

BONESPUR, CR 8 (4,800)
Male middle aged giomorgo (equaar) slayer (bounty hunter) 15
NE Medium humanoid (human, crossbeed)
Init +7; Senses Perception +20
DEFENSE
AC 23, touch 16, flat-footed 20 (+3 Dex, +7 armor, +3 deflection)
hp 132 (15d10+60)
Fort +11, Ref +12, Will +7
Defensive Abilities evasion
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Protean +23/+18/+13 (1d4+8/19-20), Power Attack with Protean as greatsword +17/+12/+7 (2d6+22/19-20), or Spirited Charge and Power Attack with Protean as lance +17 (3d8+22/x3)
Ranged +2 ghost touch net +21 (entanglement) or +2 human bane heavy crossbow with +1 ghost touch bolt +17 (1d10+2/19-20)
Special Attacks sneak attack +5d6, studied target +4 (4 opponents)
Evil Eye Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15th; concentration +14)
1/day—daze (DC 9), hold person (DC 12), ill omen
STATISTICS
Str 19, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 9
Base Atk +15; CMB +19 (+21 dirty trick); CMD 32 (34 vs. dirty trick)
Feats Exotic Weapon Proficiency (net), Improved Dirty Trick, Improved Initiative, Intimidating Prowess, Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Power Attack (-4/+8 one-handed or +12 two-handed), Spirited Charge, Voice of WrathB
Skills Acrobatics +11, Bluff +4, Climb +3, Craft (traps) +16, Craft (weapons) +16, Disable Device +28, Disguise -1, Handle Animal +9, Heal +7, Intimidate +11, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +16, Knowledge (geography) +11, Knowledge (local) +11, Linguistics +4, Perception +20 [+27 to locate traps], Ride +18, Sense Motive +7, Sleight of Hand +11 [+16 to conceal a weapon], Stealth +36 [+41 in brown mist form], Survival +22 [+29 tracking]; Racial Modifiers +2 Handle Animal, +2 Survival
Languages Vaasi, Arak, Balok, Patterna, Undercommon
SQ advanced talents (evasion, hunter’s surprise), favored class (slayer; 15 hit proints), quarry, slayer talent (surprise attack, trapfinding +7), slayer’s advance, stalker, survivor, swift tracker, track +7
Gear belt of physical perfection +4, getaway boots, +2 ghost touch net, +4 greater shadow studded leather, +2 human bane heavy crossbow with +1 ghost touch bolts (20), masterwork thieves’ tools, Protean, ring of protection +3, ring of spell turning, slayer’s robe, slayer’s kit, traveler’s outfit
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Dirty Trick (Ex) Anytime Bonespur is able to deal sneak attack damage to a studied target, he can instead attempt to hamper the target. If the attack hits, it deals damage normally, but instead of rolling sneak attack damage, Bonespur can attempt a dirty trick combat maneuver against the studied target as a free action, adding 5 to the combat maneuver check. This combat maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Hunter’s Surprise (Ex) Once per day, Bonesupr can designate a single enemy he is adjacent to as his prey. Until the end of his next turn, he can add his sneak attack damage to all attacks made against his prey, even if he is not flanking it or it is not flat-footed.
Incapacitate (Ex) To attempt to incapacitate a target, Bonespur must first study his target for 1 round as a standard action. On the following round, if he makes a sneak attack against the target and that target is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly knocking the target unconscious. This attempt automatically fails if the target recognizes Bonespur as an enemy. If the sneak attack is successful, the target must attempt a DC 24 Fortitude saving throw. If the target fails this save, it falls unconsious for 1d6 rounds; otherwise, the target takes the sneak attack damage as normal, but the damage is nonlethal, and is then immune to Bonepur's incapacitate ability for 24 hours.
Moon Madness (Ex) During the period of the full moon each month (3 days out of every 28 in the Core, although isolated domains may have more or less frequent full moons), Bonespur suffers a -2 morale penalty to Wisdom. If indoors at night during this period, Bonespur is shaken. The moon does not have to be visible for Bonespur to suffer from moon madness.
Not of the Blood (Ex) Bonespur does not possess the Vistani subtype.
Quarry (Ex) Bonespur can as a standard action denote one target within his line of sight as his quarry. Whenever he is following the tracks of his quarry, he can take 10 on his Survival skill checks while moving at normal speed, without penalty. In addition, he gains a +2 insight bonus on attack rolls made against his quarry, and all critical threats against his quarry are automatically confirmed. Bonespur can have no more than one quarry at a time, and the target must be selected as a studied target. He can dismiss this effect at any time as a free action, but he cannot select a new quarry target for 24 hours. If Bonespur sees proof that his quarry is dead, he can select a new quarry target after 1 hour.
Slayer's Advance (Ex) Bonespur can once per day move up to twice his base speed as a move action. He may use Stealth as part of this movement, but takes a –10 penalty to his check for doing so.
Stalker (Ex) Bonespur gains his studied target bonus on Disguise, Intimidate, and Stealth checks against his studied opponent.
Studied Target (Ex) Bonespur can study an opponent he can see as a move or swift action. The slayer then gains a +4 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks attempted against that opponent, and a +4 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against it. The DCs of slayer class abilities against that opponent increase by 4. Bonespur can only maintain these bonuses against up to 4 opponents at a time; these bonuses remain in effect until either the opponents are dead or Bonespur studies a new target. If Bonespur deals sneak attack damage to a target, he can study that target as an immediate action, allowing him to apply his studied target bonuses against that target (including to the normal weapon damage roll). Bonespur may discard this connection to a studied targets as a free action, allowing him to study other targets in their place.
Submission Hold (Ex) When Bonespur attempts a grapple combat maneuver check to deal damage, he can choose to add his sneak attack damage to the grapple damage for that attack. He takes a –5 penalty on the combat maneuver check if he does this. This sneak attack damage is nonlethal damage, unless Bonespur is able to deal normal damage with a grapple and chooses to do so.
Surprise Attack (Ex) During the surprise round, opponents are always considered flat-footed to Bonespur, even if they have already acted.
Swift Tracker (Ex) Bonespur can move at his normal speed while using Survival to follow tracks without taking the normal –5 penalty. When moving at up to twice his normal speed while tracking, he takes only a –10 penalty instead of the normal –20.

PROTEAN
+4 ghost touch transformative dagger; Aura strong transmutation; CL 15th; Weight 1 lb.; Alignment CN; Senses blindsense 60 ft., empathy, vision and hearing; Power 1/day—teleport itself; Int 13; Wis 13; Cha 10; Ego 11; Price 106,000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCORCHER, CR 6 (XP 2,400)
NE Large outsider (evil, native)
Aura frightful presence (30 ft., DC 17)
Init +10; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +16
DEFENSE
AC 23, touch 13, flat-footed 19 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +10 natural)
hp 84 (8d10+40)
Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5
Weakness light sensitivity
OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft.
Melee bite +9 (1d6+6), 2 hooves +4 (1d6+3 plus 1d4 fire)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks flaming hooves, smoke, trample (1d6+9, DC 20)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 20th, concentration +23)
At will—etherealness (self plus 1 rider only)
STATISTICS
Str 22, Dex 19, Con 20, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 16
Base Atk +8; CMB +15; CMD 29 (33 vs. trip)
Feats Alertness, Improved Initiative, Power Attack (-4/+8), Run
Skills Acrobatics +15, Escape Artist +15, Intimidate +14, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +14, Knowledge (planes) +14, Perception +16, Sense Motive +16, Stealth +11, Survival +14
Languages Abyssal, Infernal
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Flaming Hooves (Su) A blow from a dread nightmare’s hooves sets combustible materials alight.
Frightful Presence (Ex) As a free action, a dread nightmare can inspire terror in creatures within 30 feet by stomping its hooves and belching out smoke. Opponents with 8 or fewer HD or levels that witness this action become frightened for 5d6 rounds unless they succeed on Will save DC 17. An opponent that succeeds its saving throw becomes immune that same dread nightmare’s frightful presence for 24 hours. Frightful presence is a mind-affecting fear effect.
Light Sensitivity (Ex) Dread nightmares are dazzled in areas of bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Smoke (Su) In battle, a dread nightmare exhales smoke that chokes and blinds foes, filling a 15-foot cone each round as a free action. Anyone in the cone must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or become sickened until 1d6 minutes after leaving the area. This smoke acts as obscuring mist for the purposes of concealment. The smoke persists for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Trample (Ex) As a full-round action, dread nightmare can attempt to overrun any creature that is at least one size category smaller than itself. This works just like the overrun combat maneuver, but the dread nightmare does not need to make a check, it merely has to move over opponents in its path. Targets of a trample take 1d6+9 damage. Targets of a trample can make an attack of opportunity, but at a –4 penalty. If targets forgo an attack of opportunity, they can attempt to avoid the trampling dread nightmare and receive a Reflex save DC 20 to take half damage. A dread nightmare can only deal trampling damage to each target once per round, no matter how many times its movement takes it over a target creature.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

As for Bonespur's challenge rating, it can easily be changed to 14, to fit better with the Pathfinder CR rules, which I have a huge problem with. Monster CRs are pretty spot on usually, but NPCs with class levels don't make any sense.
JMHO... In my experience, a group of four or more PCs can, under ideal circumstances, efficiently slay a single NPC with nearly double their own level.
Last edited by Nemesio on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

You sir have an obsession. :)