more Stat Blocks for my Pathfinder/Ravenloft campaign

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: more Stat Blocks for my Pathfinder/Ravenloft campaign

Post by Ryan Naylor »

On Maligno again:

I think there are two ways to do this. The first is by randomly determining which limb is struck (as we had at first) and the second is a ratchet of effects.

As a relevant note, DoD says that, unlike most carrionettes, Maligno can determine which limb he hits with his needles. Also, the maximum range for the needles has previously been 15 ft, not the range increment (like a ray) - I don't know if your change was intentional or not.

Option 1:

Paralysis (Su): A creature struck by one of a carrionette’s needles must make a Will save or the limb pierced by the needle is paralysed. On a critical hit, two limbs are paralysed. The effect of the paralysis is determined by the limb affected; normal carrionettes determine the limb randomly, ignoring any limbs that are already paralysed; Maligno can choose which limb is pierced by his needles.

1 arm - The victim can't perform tasks requiring two hands and drops anything held in that hand.
2 arms - The victim drops anything held in their hands and can't perform tasks requiring the use of their arms. They lose their Dex bonus to AC and suffer an additional -2 penalty to AC. They are sickened.
1 leg - The victim gains the entangled condition.
2 legs - The victim falls prone, gains the entangled condition and is flat footed. If both arms are still functional, they can drag themselves at half speed as a full round action; otherwise, they can only drag themselves 5 ft as a full round action.
3 limbs (of any kind) - As well as suffering the relevant conditions described above, the victim is exhausted.
4 limbs - The victim is paralysed.

A needle can be removed as a move equivalent action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity and requires one hand. The effects of the paralysis fade 1d4 rounds after the needle is removed.

Option 2:

Paralysis (Su): A creature struck by one of a carrionette’s needles must make a Will save or the limb pierced by the needle is paralysed. Being both tiny and cruel creatures, carrionettes almost always target the legs of their victims first, to stop them getting away. A critical hit counts as 2 hits. The following table is cumulative.

1 hit - The victim gains the entangled condition.
2 hits - The victim falls prone, gains the entangled condition and is flat footed. They can only drag themselves at half speed as a full round action.
3 hits - The victim can't perform tasks requiring two hands and drops anything held in that hand. They are gain the exhausted condition, but can only drag themselves 5 ft as a full round action.
4 hits - The victim is paralysed.

A needle can be removed as a move equivalent action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity and requires one hand. The effects of the paralysis fade 1d4 rounds after the needle is removed.

While the second one is simpler, I prefer the versatility of the first.

As for the healing:

Provided he has not been reduced to less than half of his maximum hit points, Maligno can be repaired by his fellow carrionettes. A carrionette may repair one hit point per round as a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Up to 4 carrionettes may attempt to repair Maligno simultaneously.
Guiseppe can also repair Maligno, and even rebuild him from nothing. As a full round action provoking an attack of opportunity, Guiseppe can repair 1d6 hit points damage from Maligno. If Maligno is destroyed, Guiseppe can build him a new body in 24 hours. Without killing the old man, it may be impossible to permanently destroy Maligno.

How does that look?
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Re: Maligno

When playing Maligno, it may pay to watch a certain series of episodes of the Digimon cartoon/anime involving a character called Puppetmon. Here's a sample:
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Ryan Naylor wrote:Option 1:

Paralysis (Su): A creature struck by one of a carrionette’s needles must make a Will save or the limb pierced by the needle is paralysed. On a critical hit, two limbs are paralysed. The effect of the paralysis is determined by the limb affected; normal carrionettes determine the limb randomly, ignoring any limbs that are already paralysed; Maligno can choose which limb is pierced by his needles.

1 arm - The victim can't perform tasks requiring two hands and drops anything held in that hand.
2 arms - The victim drops anything held in their hands and can't perform tasks requiring the use of their arms. They lose their Dex bonus to AC and suffer an additional -2 penalty to AC. They are sickened.
1 leg - The victim gains the entangled condition.
2 legs - The victim falls prone, gains the entangled condition and is flat footed. If both arms are still functional, they can drag themselves at half speed as a full round action; otherwise, they can only drag themselves 5 ft as a full round action.
3 limbs (of any kind) - As well as suffering the relevant conditions described above, the victim is exhausted.
4 limbs - The victim is paralysed.

Option 2:

Paralysis (Su): A creature struck by one of a carrionette’s needles must make a Will save or the limb pierced by the needle is paralysed. Being both tiny and cruel creatures, carrionettes almost always target the legs of their victims first, to stop them getting away. A critical hit counts as 2 hits. The following table is cumulative.

1 hit - The victim gains the entangled condition.
2 hits - The victim falls prone, gains the entangled condition and is flat footed. They can only drag themselves at half speed as a full round action.
3 hits - The victim can't perform tasks requiring two hands and drops anything held in that hand. They are gain the exhausted condition, but can only drag themselves 5 ft as a full round action.
4 hits - The victim is paralysed.

Great work on this! I see you've even mingled in the conditions, which makes me very happy!
Last edited by Nemesio on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Manofevil wrote:Re: Maligno

When playing Maligno, it may pay to watch a certain series of episodes of the Digimon cartoon/anime involving a character called Puppetmon. Here's a sample:
Thank you for the link Manofevil. :) I've actually seen Puppetmon and I agree completely.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

I thought I would try something a little bit different and stat out a couple characters that are mentioned in books but that have no official stats [that I know of]. To start, here is Elizabeta Pirosska. She is mentioned in the description of the Dawnslayers, in the Barovian section of the Gazetteer I. I needed to adapt the HotD prestige class a little, of course.

ELIZABETA PIROSSKA, Ostensible Leader of the Dawnslayers, CR 11 (XP 12,800)
Female old human cleric of the Morninglord 7/herald of the dawn 5
CG Medium humanoid (human)
Init -2; Senses Perception +20
DEFENSE
AC 8, touch 8, flat-footed 8 (-2 Dex)
hp 49 (12d8-17)
Fort +10, Ref +3, Will +18; +3 vs. the spell-like and supernatural abilities of vampires
Defensive Abilities resistance +2, soul of burnished bronze +3
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +1 holy shortspear +8/+3 (1d6-1/19-20 vs. vampires)
Special Attacks bane of the blood drinker +3, banish bestial children, channel positive energy 10/day (DC 18, 4d6+7), cockerel’s crow 1/day (DC 18), strike of the rosy dawn, sun’s blessing
Domain Spell-Like Abilities (CL 7th; concentration +12)
7/day—resistant touch (1 minute)
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 12th; concentration +18)
6th—antimagic fieldD, fire seedsD, heal (DC 21 [24 vs. vampires])
5th—flame strikeD (DC 20), hallow, serenity (DC 20), spell resistanceD
4th—death ward, divine power, fire shieldD, spell immunityD
3rd—magic circle against evil, prayer, protection from energyD, searing lightD(2)
2nd—bull’s strength, consecrate, heat metalD, shield other D, spear of purity
1st—bless water, endure elementsD, hide from undead (DC 16 [19 vs. vampires]), sanctuaryD, shield of faith
0 (at will)—detect magic, light, read magic, spark
D Domain spell; Domains Protection, Sun
STATISTICS
Str 7, Dex 7, Con 8, Int 15, Wis 20, Cha 16
Base Atk +8; CMB +6; CMD 14
Feats Blind-Fight, Extra Channel, Improved Channel, Improved Iron Will, Iron Will, Turn Undead, Weapon Focus (shortspear)
Skills Craft (alchemy) +10, Craft (weapons) +8, Diplomacy +10, Heal +15, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (history) +10, Knowledge (nobility) +8, Knowledge (religion) +17, Perception +20, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft +12
Languages Balok, Luktar, Mordentish
SQ aura, spontaneous casting (cure)
Gear +1 holy shortspear, sprigs of garlic, vials of holy water, wooden holy symbol of the Morninglord
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Bane of the Blood-Drinker (Ex): All abjuration, conjuration (healing), and necromancy spells cast by Elizabeta become more potent against vampires, adding 3 to the DC of their saving throw.
Banish the Bestial Children (Su): As a standard action, Elizabeta can use one of her uses of channel positive energy to cause all creatures called forth by a vampire’s children of the night ability, within 30 feet to flee, as if panicked. These creatures receive a Will save DC 18 to negate the effect. Creatures that fail their save flee for 1 minute. Intelligent creatures receive a new saving throw each round to end the effect. If Elizabeta uses channel energy in this way, it has no other effect (it does not heal or harm nearby creatures).
Cockerel’s Crow (Su): Elizabeta can unleash a terrifying shriek as a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The sound convinces vampires that they have scant minutes to reach safety before dawn. Though normally immune to mind-affecting effects, all vampires within 30 feet of Elizabeta must make a Fear save DC 18. This is a sonic effect usable 1/day.
Resistant Touch (Sp) As a standard action, Elizabeta can touch an ally to grant them her resistance bonus for 1 minute. When Elizabeta uses this ability, she loses her resistance bonus granted by the Protection domain for 1 minute. She can use this ability 7/day.
Strike of the Rosy Dawn (Su): Elizabeta can score critical hits against vampires with a shortspear. She is also treated as if she had the Improved Critical feat while wielding a shortspear against such creatures.
Sun’s Blessing (Su) Whenever Elizabeta channels positive energy to harm undead creatures, she adds her cleric level to the damage dealt. Undead do not add their channel resistance to their saves when she channels positive energy.
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Here's a guy I've featured in my 3.5 campaign. I've always loved the idea of kobolds pestering Drakov and his Talons.....so I give you my interpretation of the Basilisk.

THE BASILISK, Leader of the Spawn of the Lizard, CR 11 (XP 12,800)
Male old giant kobold sorcerer 12
LE Medium humanoid (reptilian)
Init +0; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +18
DEFENSE
AC 14, touch 10, flat-footed 14 (+4 natural)
hp 54 (12d6)
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +8
Defensive Abilities trap sense +3
Weaknesses light sensitivity
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee quarterstaff +4 (1d6-2)
Ranged arcane blast +7 (touch, 2d6+1d6 per level of spell slot expended [maximum 8d6])
Special Attacks arcane ambush
Sorcerer Spell-Like Abilities (CL 12th; concentration +17)
8/day—trap rune (1d8+12, DC 21)
Spells Known (CL 12th; concentration +17)
6th (3/day)—flesh to stone (DC 23)
5th (6/day)—baleful polymorph (DC 22), transmute rock to mud, telepathic bond
4th (7/day)—charm monster (DC 19), dragon’s breath (DC 19), stone shape, stoneskin
3rd (7/day)—clairaudience/clairvoyance, eruptive pustules (DC 20), explosive runes (DC 18), nondetection, protection from energy
2nd (7/day)—alter self, cat’s grace, eagle’s splendor, fog cloud, create pit (DC 17), whispering wind
1st (8/day)—alarm, burning disarm (DC 18), enlarge person (DC 18), mage armor, reduce person (DC 18), shield
0 (at will)—acid splash, arcane mark, detect magic, daze (DC 15), detect poison, ghost sound (DC 15), message, penumbra, read magic
Bloodline Kobold
STATISTICS
Str 7, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 20
Base Atk +6; CMB +4; CMD 14
Feats Alertness, Arcane Blast, Eschew Materials, Greater Spell Focus (transmutation), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Spell Focus (transmutation), Weapon Focus (ray)
Skills Bluff +10, Craft (alchemy) +10, Craft (trapmaking) +15, Disable Device +10, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (arcana) +16, Perception +18 [+22 to notice traps], Profession (miner) +7, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +12, Stealth +10, Use Magic Device +13; Racial Modifiers +2 Craft (trapmaking), +2 Perception, +2 Profession (miner)
Languages Draconic, Falkovnian, Goblin
SQ bloodline arcana (increase DC of spells by +2 when cast against creatures denied their Dexterity bonus to AC), crafty
Gear quarterstaff, spell component pouch
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Arcane Ambush (Su) As a swift action, the Basilisk can expend a spell slot in order to grant himself and his allies a bonus on attack and damage rolls. This bonus lasts 1 round, is equal to the level of the spell expended, and only applies to opponents the Basilisk’s allies are flanking or opponents denied their Dexterity bonus against his allies. The Basilisk grant this bonus to himself plus up to 3 allies. The allies must be within 30 feet of the Basilisk and he must have line of effect to each affected ally.
Trap Rune (Sp) As a standard action, the Basilisk can sketch a single, nearly invisible magical rune on any 5-foot-square solid surface. When the Basilisk creates a rune, he picks one of the following energy types: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. While the rune is active, the next creature other than the Basilisk who steps on or touches the rune’s area causes the rune to explode. The rune’s explosion deals 1d8+12 points of energy damage to anything in its square. A Reflex saving throw DC 21 halves the damage. The rune is considered a magical trap for the purpose of perceiving it or disabling it. The DC for both Perception and Disable Device checks is the same as the Reflex saving throw to halve the damage. The Basilisk can use this ability 8/day. Each rune lasts for 24 hours or until discharged.
Trap Sense (Ex) The Basilisk has developed a sixth sense that helps him avoid traps. He receives a +4 bonus on Perception checks made to notice traps. He also receives a +3 bonus on Reflex saves to avoid traps and a +3 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps.
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

OK for some reason all the characters I found in the books that I thought could be interesting were old (in the Basilisk's case I made him old since Kobolds apparently have short lifespans). So here's one more powerful old fart from the Land of Mists. A high cleric of the Lawgiver, The Pave of Hazlan, Hakkon Aramesman.

Edit: Unfortunately I've realized after the fact, that Hakkon has likely died, as he has been replaced as Pave of Hazlan by Stavros Vatisk in Gazetteer V. I guess he should have went easy on the red meat. Maybe he just aggravated Hazlik, or he was assassinated by his successor.

HAKKON ARAMESMEN, Pave of the Hazlani branch of the Iron Faith, CR 14 (38,400)
Male old human cleric of the Lawgiver 15
LE Medium humanoid (human)
Init -2; Senses Perception +12
DEFENSE
AC 18, touch 9, flat-footed 18 (-2 Dex, +9 armor, +1 deflection)
hp 82 (15d8)
Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +16
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +3 cold iron longspear +17/+12/+7 (1d8+6/x3); whip +13/+8/+3 (1d3+2 nonlethal)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft. (10 ft. with longspear or whip)
Special Attacks channel negative energy 6/day (DC 18, 8d6), staff of order (7 rounds, 2/day), weapon master (15 rounds/day)
Domain Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15th [17th to overcome SR]; concentration +21 [+25 defensive])
9/day—battle rage (+7 damage), touch of law
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 15th [17th to overcome SR]; concentration +21 [+25 defensive])
8th—power word stunD, shield of lawD (DC 24)
7th—dictumD (DC 23), power word blindD, repulsion (DC 23)
6th—blade barrierD (DC 22), heal, hold monsterD (DC 22), word of recall
5th—dispel chaosD (DC 21), flame strikeD (DC 21), greater command (2, DC 21), slay living (DC 21), spell resistance
4th—cure critical wounds, death ward, discern lies (DC 20), divine powerD, greater magic weapon, orders wrathD (DC 20)
3rd—discovery torch, dispel magic, magic circle against chaosD, magic vestmentD, prayer, protection from energy
2nd—align weapon (law only)D, disfiguring touch (2, DC 18), instrument of agony (DC 18), silence (DC 18), spiritual weapon D
1st—cause fear (DC 17), command (2, DC 17), divine favor, magic weaponD, protection from chaosD, shield of faith
0 (at will)—detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic
D Domain spell; Domains Law, War
STATISTICS
Str 15, Dex 7, Con 9, Int 15, Wis 22, Cha 12
Base Atk +11; CMB +13 (+15 to disarm a foe with whip); CMD 21
Feats Channel Alignment (chaos), Combat Casting, Command Undead, Extra Channel, Intimidating Prowess, Persuasive, Spell Penetration, Toughness, Weapon Focus (longspear)
Skills Appraise +10, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +11, Heal +10, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (history) +10, Knowledge (local) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +10, Knowledge (planes) +6, Knowledge (religion) +20, Linguistics +7, Perception +12, Sense Motive +16, Spellcraft +16
Languages Vaasi, Balok, Darkonese, Draconic, Mordentish
SQ aura, spontaneous casting (inflict)
Gear belt of giant strength +2, cloak of resistance +1, +3 cold iron longspear (unholy symbol of the Lawgiver), headband of inspired wisdom +4, +3 mithral breastplate, ring of protection +1, unholy water, whip
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Battle Rage (Sp) Hakkon can touch a creature as a standard action to give it a +7 bonus on melee damage rolls for 1 round. He can do so 9/day.
Staff of Order (Su) Hakkon can give a weapon touched the axiomatic special weapon quality for up to 7 rounds. He can use this ability 2/day.
Touch of Law (Sp) Hakkon can touch a willing creature as a standard action, infusing it with the power of divine order and allowing it to treat all attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for 1 round as if the natural d20 roll resulted in an 11. He can use this ability a number 9/day.
Weapon Master (Su) Hakkon can gain the use of one combat feat for 15 rounds per day. These rounds do not need to be consecutive and you can change the feat chosen each time Hakkon uses this ability. He must meet the prerequisites to use this feat.
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

It always aggravated me that Rokushima Taiyoo never got any real attention in any sourcebooks. It seems as if the domain is always last in line for some flavor whenever Ravenloft gets a reboot. Oh well. At least it allows motivated DMs to tailor the domain, darklord, and his four remaining sons as they see fit. Moohoohaha! :azalin:

Ok another darklord, and one of my favorites. Shinpi Haki. Impotent in death as much as he was dangerous in life. His sons were the literal undeath of him.

SHINPI HAKI, Darklord of Rokushima Taiyoo, CR 9 (XP 6,400)
Male venerable human geist aristocrat 2/samurai 16
LE Medium undead (augmented human, incorporeal)
Init +2; Senses Perception +20
DEFENSE
AC 8, touch 8, flat-footed 8 (-2 Dex)
hp 205 (2d8+16d10+108)
Fort +15, Ref +3, Will +10
Defensive Abilities channel resistance +5, incorporeal, rejuvenation; Immune corporeal attacks, undead traits
OFFENSE
Speed fly 30 ft. (perfect)
Special Attacks closing the borders, mind games (disbelieve DC 24), phantom shift
STATISTICS
Str —, Dex 7, Con —, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 21
Base Atk +17; CMB —; CMD —
Feats Cleave, Deceitful, Improved Critical (katana), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Leadership, Mounted Archery, Mounted Combat, Persuasive, Power Attack, Ride-By Attack, Toughness, Weapon Focus (katana)
Skills Appraise +10, Bluff +25, Diplomacy +25, Disguise +7, Fly +6, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (engineering) +10, Knowledge (geography) +15, Knowledge (history) +15, Knowledge (local) +10, Knowledge (nobility) +10, Perception +20, Ride +16, Sense Motive +13, Stealth +16, Survival +13; Racial Modifiers +8 Perception, +8 Stealth
Languages Rokuma, Mordentish, Rajian
SQ detect disruption, sinkhole of evil
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Closing the Borders (Su) When Haki wishes to seal his domain, savage winds whirl about the 1,000-foot-high cliffs that make up the outer coasts of the islands. Under the influence of these gusts, wooden structures are torn apart, climbing or flight becomes impossible, and anything thrown into this great vortex is forced back onto the islands.
Mind Games (Su) Although Haki cannot manifest, as a free action he can appear to the living by creating a phantasmal image of himself. This illusion is as powerful as the major image spell, except it is a phantasm, not a figment. Haki can create only an image of himself, and the image can appear only to creatures within 30 feet of him.
Phantom Shift (Su) Haki can make ethereal resonance visible and tangible to the living. A living creature targeted by Haki must succeed at a Will save DC 24 or cease to see or feel the Material Plane as it is, instead experiencing the ethereal resonance of the area.
Rejuvenation (Su) It’s difficult to destroy Haki through simple combat: the “destroyed” spirit restores himself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. The only way to permanently destroy Haki is to determine the reason for his existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace.

I know why even bother with the combat feats of a geist. I just figured what the hell. They add more irony now that he is physically harmless.
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

... Because if Shinpi comes across someone on the Ethereal Plane, he can carve them to pieces. :)

Another darklord that I think people have severely underestimated in terms of how dangerous he can be.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

So here are stats for Haki's four remaining sons. I always thought they had a lot of potential as villains. Why settle for four boringly identical spoiled and feuding shujin with no style.

Their stats are listed in order by their age with Yoku being eldest. I put a lot of thought into each one. I will include a fuller description of their personalities as well as their Castles ASAP.

SHINPI YOKU, Shujin of The Castle of Ice, CR 13 (XP 25,600)
Male middle age human aristocrat 1/ninja 7/sword saint 7
Init +6; Senses Perception +15
DEFENSE
AC 16, touch 16, flat-footed 16 (+2 Dex, +4 deflection)
hp 92 (7d8+6d10+15)
Fort +8, Ref +10, Will +5
Defensive Abilities resolve 4/day, uncanny dodge
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee mwk katana +13/+8/+3 (1d8+2/18-20), +2 speed wakizashi +15/+15 (1d6+4/15-20); +2 speed wakizashi +17/+17/+12/+7 (1d6+4/15-20); unarmed strike +15/+10 or +13/+13/+8/+3 (1d3+2)
Ranged masterwork composite longbow +15/+10 (1d8+2/x3); masterwork tube arrow shooter +16 (1d4 plus black lotus extract)
Special Attacks brutal slash +3, challenge (+7, +2, 3/day), iaijutsu strike +5d6 (1/day), sneak attack +4d6, terrifying iaijutsu (DC 13)
STATISTICS
Str 14, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 9, Cha 11
Base Atk +12; CMB +14; CMD 27
Feats Double Slice, Extra Ki, Improved Critical (wakizashi), Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mounted Archery, Mounted Combat, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Reload (tube arrow shooter), Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (wakizashi)
Skills Acrobatics +12, Appraise +10, Bluff +10, Climb +12, Craft (poisons) +15, Craft (weapons) +10, Diplomacy +10, Disguise +10, Disable Device +10, Escape Artist +10, Handle Animal +10, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (local) +12, Knowledge (nature) +12, Knowledge (nobility) +10, Perception +15, Ride +15, Sense Motive +10, Sleight of Hand +12, Stealth +15, Survival +10, Swim +10, Use Magic Device +8
SQ ki pool (5), light steps, ninja tricks (combat trick, forgotten trick), no trace +2, poison use, ronin (self reliant), weapon expertise (wakizashi)
Gear 6 doses of black lotus extract (Type poison [contact]; Save Fortitude DC 20; Onset 1 minute; Frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; Effect 1d6 Con damage; Cure 2 consecutive saves), masterwork composite longbow (+2 Str) with 20 arrows, masterwork tube arrow shooter, ring of protection +4, +2 speed wakizashi
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Brutal Slash (Ex) If Yoku threatens a critical hit with his iaijutsu strike, he adds a +3 bonus to the attack roll to confirm a critical hit.
Challenge (Ex) Once per day, Yoku can challenge a foe to combat. As a swift action, he chooses one target within sight to challenge. Yoku's melee attacks deal +7 damage when made against the target of his challenge. Yoku can use this ability 3/day. Challenging a foe requires much of Yoku's concentration. He takes a –2 penalty to his Armor Class, except against attacks made by the target of his challenge. The challenge remains in effect until the target is dead or unconscious, or until the combat ends. Yoku's challenge also includes another effect, which is listed in the section describing his order.
Forgotten Trick (Ex) Yoku can recall one trick taught to him by his ancient masters. When he uses this ability, Yoku selects one ninja trick (not a master trick or rogue talent) that he does not know and can use that ninja trick for 7 rounds. Yoku must pay any ki costs associated with the trick as normal. Using this ability expends 2 ki point from his ki pool, plus the ki cost of the trick Yoku chooses.
Iaijutsu Strike (Ex) Yoku can perform a lightning quick iaijutsu strike against the target of his challenge to inflict devastating wounds while drawing his sword. After Yoku has challenged a foe but before he has attacked the target of his challenge, he may choose to use his iaijutsu strike as a full-round action, making an attack roll with his weapon as normal. In order to use this ability, Yoku’s weapon must be sheathed at the start of his turn. If he successfully hits his opponent with an iaijutsu strike, his attack deals an additional +5d6 points of damage. Any extra damage as a result of a successful iaijutsu strike is not multiplied by a critical hit. After making an iaijutsu strike, Yoku takes a –4 penalty to his AC until his next turn, but his weapon is now drawn and he may continually to fight normally. Regardless of whether he hits his opponent with the iaijutsu strike, Yoku cannot use this ability on the same foe more than once per day.
Ki Pool (Su) Yoku has a pool of 3 ki points, supernatural energy he can use to accomplish amazing feats. As long as Yoku has at least 1 point in his ki pool, he treats any Acrobatics skill check made to jump as if he had a running start. By spending 1 point from his ki pool, Yoku can make one additional attack at his highest attack bonus, but he can do so only when making a full attack. In addition, Yoku can spend 1 point to increase his speed by 20 feet for 1 round. Finally, Yoku can spend 1 point from his ki pool to give himself a +4 insight bonus on Stealth checks for 1 round. Each of these powers is activated as a swift action. The ki pool is replenished each morning after 8 hours of rest or meditation; these hours do not need to be consecutive.
Light Steps (Ex) Yoku has learned to move while barely touching the surface underneath him. As a full-round action, Yoku can move up to twice his speed, ignoring difficult terrain. While moving in this way, any surface will support him, no matter how much he weighs. This allows Yoku to move across water, lava, or even the thinnest tree branches. Yoku must end his move on a surface that can support him normally. Yoku cannot move across air in this way, nor can he walk up walls or other vertical surfaces. When moving in this way, Yoku does not take damage from surfaces or hazards that react to being touched, such as lava or caltrops, nor does he need to make Acrobatics checks to avoid falling on slippery or rough surfaces. Finally, when using light steps, Yoku ignores any mechanical traps that use a location-based trigger.
No Trace (Ex) Yoku has learned to cover his tracks, remain hidden, and conceal his presence. The DC to track Yoku using the Survival skill increases by +2. In addition, Yoku’s training gives him a +2 insight bonus on Disguise skill checks and on opposed Stealth checks whenever he is stationary and does not take any action for at least 1 round.
Poison Use (Ex) Yoku is trained in the use of poison and cannot accidentally poison himself when applying poison to a weapon.
Resolve (Ex) Yoku can call upon his resolve to endure even the most devastating wounds and afflictions. He can use this ability 4/day. Whenever Yoku defeats the target of his challenge, he regains one daily use of his resolve, up to his maximum number of uses per day. Defeating the target of his challenge usually involves reducing the target to 0 hit points or fewer, but in some cases an enemy who surrenders or flees the battle is also defeated. Yoku can use this resolve in a number of ways.
Determined: As a standard action, Yoku can spend one use of his resolve to remove the exhausted, fatigued, frightened, nauseated, shaken, sickened, or staggered condition. If the condition has a duration longer than 1 hour or is permanent, this ability removes the condition for 1 hour, at which time the condition returns.
Resolute: Whenever Yoku is required to make a Fortitude or Will save, he can spend one use of his resolve as an immediate action to roll twice and take the better result. Yoku must decide to use this ability before he rolls the saving throw.
Unstoppable: When Yoku is reduced to fewer than 0 hit points but not slain, he can spend one use of his resolve as an immediate action to instantly stabilize and remain conscious. Yoku is staggered, but he does not fall unconscious and begin dying if he takes a standard action. Yoku does fall unconscious if he takes additional damage from any source.
Self Reliant (Ex) Whenever Yoku he fails a Will saving throw against an effect with a duration greater than 1 round, Yoku can attempt another saving throw at the end of the second round of the effect. If Yoku makes this saving throw, it has the same effect as if he had made the original save (negating part or all of the effect). In addition, whenever Yoku is brought below 0 hit points, on his next turn he can roll twice to stabilize, taking the better result.
Terrifying Iaijutsu (Ex) Yoku’s iaijutsu strike devastates the morale of foes that witness it. When he successfully hits with an iaijutsu strike, all foes within 30 feet must succeed at a Will save DC 13 or become shaken for 1d4+1 rounds.
Weapon Expertise (Ex) Yoku can draw his katana as a free action as if he had the Quick Draw feat. In addition, whenever he threatens a critical hit with his katana, he gains a +2 bonus on the confirmation roll.[/spoiler]

SHINPI YAKE, Shujin of The Seven Towers CR 13 (XP 25,600)
Male middle age human aristocrat 2/samurai 4/fire elementalist 9
Init +3; Senses Perception +13
DEFENSE
AC 16, touch 16, flat-footed 13 (+3 Dex, +3 deflection)
hp 92 (2d8+4d10+9d6+15)
Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +10
Defensive Abilities resolve 3/day; Resist fire 10
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +2 wakizashi +14/+9 (1d6+2/18-20); unarmed strike +12/+7 (1d3)
Ranged +2 composite longbow +15/+10 (1d8+2/x3)
Special Attacks challenge (+4, 2/day), fire supremacy (4)
Arcane School Spell-Like Abilities (CL 9th; concentration +13 [+17 defensive])
7/day—fire jet (DC 18)
4/day—dancing flame
Fire Elementalist Spells Prepared (CL 9th; concentration +13 [+17 defensive])
5th—fire snake (DC 21), summon monster V (elementals only)
4th—detonate (DC 20), fire shield, stoneskin, wall of fire
3rd—elemental aura (DC 19), fireball (2, DC 19), flame arrow, protection from energy
2nd—burning gaze (DC 18), elemental touch, pyrotechnics (DC 18), resist energy, scorching ray (2)
1st—burning hands (DC 17), charm person (DC 15), dancing lantern, gravity bow, mage armor, shield
0—arcane mark, detect magic, read magic, spark (DC 16)
Opposition School water
STATISTICS
Str 11, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 9
Base Atk +9; CMB +9; CMD 22
Feats Combat Casting, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Greater Spell Focus (fire), Improved Unarmed Strike, Mounted Archery, Mounted Combat, Point Blank Shot, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (fire), Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (composite longbow)
Skills Appraise +12, Bluff +12, Climb +8, Craft (alchemy) +12, Craft (bows) +12, Craft (weapons) +12, Diplomacy +7, Handle Animal +7, Intimidate +7, Knowledge (arcana) +18, Knowledge (engineering) +12, Knowledge (geography) +8, Knowledge (history) +12, Knowledge (local) +12, Knowledge (nature) +8, Knowledge (nobility) +12, Knowledge (planes) +8, Knowledge (religion) +8, Linguistics +4, Perception +13, Ride +16, Sense Motive +8, Spellcraft +18, Survival +8
Languages Rokuma, Draconic, Ignan, Mordentish, Rajian
SQ arcane bond (ring of protection +3; 1/day—cast any spell that he has in his spellbook), mount (horse), mounted archer, order of the warrior (honor in all things 1/day), weapon expertise (composite longbow)
Gear +2 composite longbow (+0 Str) with 20 arrows, ring of protection +3, +2 wakizashi, spell component pouch
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Challenge (Ex) Once per day, Yake can challenge a foe to combat. As a swift action, he chooses one target within sight to challenge. Yake's melee attacks deal +4 damage when made against the target of his challenge. Yake can use this ability 2/day. Challenging a foe requires much of Yake's concentration. He takes a –2 penalty to his Armor Class, except against attacks made by the target of his challenge. The challenge remains in effect until the target is dead or unconscious, or until the combat ends. Yake's challenge also includes another effect, which is listed in the section describing his order.
Dancing Flame (Su) As a standard action, Yake can sculpt fire to suit his desires. With one use of this ability Yake can move any nonmagical fire up to 30 feet. Alternatively Yake can use this ability to alter any fire spell that he casts with a duration of instantaneous by removing any number of squares from its area of affect. If the fire spell has a duration, Yake can use this ability to reposition the spell, within its original range (treat this as if he had just cast the spell, even though the duration is unchanged). Yake cannot use this ability on a fire spell that he did not cast. If Yake moves a nonmagical flame, it must have a new source of fuel. If it does not, it is extinguished in one round. Yake can use this ability 4/day.[/spoiler]

SHINPI YAMI, Shujin of The Fortress of Darkness, CR 14
Male transposing (ogre mage - stage 2) human aristocrat 1/samurai 13
LE Medium humanoid (augmented human)
Init +1; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +14
DEFENSE
AC 22, touch 11, flat-footed 21 (+1 Dex, +11 armor)
hp 118 (1d8+13d10+28)
Fort +12, Ref +7, Will +8
Defensive Abilities greater resolve, honorable stand 1/day, resolve 7/day
Weaknesses painful transposition
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft. [30 ft. unarmored]
Melee +1 katana +21/+16/+11 (1d8+7 [one-handed] or 1d8+10 [two-handed]/15-20); unarmed strike +19/+14/+9 (1d3+6)
Ranged +1 composite longbow +14/+9/+4 (1d8+5/x3)
Special Attacks banner +3/+2, challenge (+13, +4, 5/day), demanding challenge
STATISTICS
Str 22, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
Base Atk +13; CMB +19; CMD 30
Feats Cleave, Critical Focus, Deflect Arrows, Improved Critical (katana), Improved Unarmed Strike, Intimidated Prowess, Mounted Combat, Power Attack (-4/+8 or +12), Ride-By Attack, Weapon Focus (katana)
Skills Appraise +2, Bluff +4, Climb +5 [+10 unarmored], Craft (weapons) +7, Diplomacy +4, Handle Animal +9, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (local) +3, Knowledge (nobility) +3, Perception +14, Ride +9 [+14 unarmored], Sense Motive +4, Stealth +14 [+4 unarmored], Survival +9, Swim +5 [+10 unarmored]
Languages Rokuma
SQ mount (horse), mounted archer, ronin (self reliant, without master), weapon expertise (katana)
Gear +3 greater shadow o-yoroi, +1 composite longbow (+4 Str) with 20 arrows, cloak of resistance +2, +1 katana
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Banner (Ex) Yami's banner becomes a symbol of inspiration to his allies and companions. As long as his banner is clearly visible, all allies within 60 feet receive a +3 morale bonus on saving throws against fear and a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls made as part of a charge. The banner must be at least Small or larger and must be carried or displayed by the samurai or his mount to function.
Challenge (Ex) Once per day, Yami can challenge a foe to combat. As a swift action, he chooses one target within sight to challenge. Yami's melee attacks deal +13 damage when made against the target of his challenge. Yami can use this ability 5/day. Challenging a foe requires much of Yami's concentration. He takes a –2 penalty to his Armor Class, except against attacks made by the target of his challenge. The challenge remains in effect until the target is dead or unconscious, or until the combat ends. Yami's challenge also includes another effect, which is listed in the section describing his order.
Demanding Challenge (Ex): Whenever Yami declares a challenge, his target must pay attention to the threat he poses. As long as the target is within the threatened area of Yami, it takes a –2 penalty to its AC on attacks made by anyone other than him.
Greater Resolve (Ex) Yami can spend his resolve to negate some of his most grievous wounds. After a critical hit is confirmed against him, Yogumi can spend one use of his resolve as an immediate action to treat that critical hit as a normal hit. Effects that only trigger on a critical hit do not trigger when Yogumi uses this ability.
Honorable Stand (Ex) Yami can make an honorable stand, deciding to fight the target of his challenge to the bitter end, no matter the cost. He can make an honorable stand 1/day. Declaring an honorable stand is a swift action. While making an honorable stand, Yami is immune to the shaken, frightened, and panicked conditions. He does not fall unconscious while his hit point total is below 0. Finally, whenever Yami is making an honorable stand and must make a saving throw, he can spend one daily use of his resolve to reroll the saving throw after the first roll is made. Yami must take the result of the second roll, even if it is worse. If Yami is making an honorable stand and retreats from battle against his challenged foe, he loses the ability to make a challenge for 24 hours.
Mounted Archer (Ex) Yami is skilled at firing ranged weapons while mounted. He only takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls with ranged weapons while his mount takes a double move. This penalty increases to –4 while his mount is running.
Painful Transposition (Ex) Yami’s transposition with an ogre mage causes him great pain. As a result he suffers a -1 penalty on all skill checks and ability checks.
Resolve (Ex) Yami can call upon his resolve to endure even the most devastating wounds and afflictions. He can use this ability 7/day. Whenever Yami defeats the target of his challenge, he regains one daily use of his resolve, up to his maximum number of uses per day. Defeating the target of his challenge usually involves reducing the target to 0 hit points or fewer, but in some cases an enemy who surrenders or flees the battle is also defeated. Yami can use this resolve in a number of ways.
Determined: As a standard action, Yami can spend one use of his resolve to remove the exhausted, fatigued, frightened, nauseated, shaken, sickened, or staggered condition. If the condition has a duration longer than 1 hour or is permanent, this ability removes the condition for 1 hour, at which time the condition returns.
Resolute: Whenever Yami is required to make a Fortitude or Will save, he can spend one use of his resolve as an immediate action to roll twice and take the better result. Yami must decide to use this ability before he rolls the saving throw.
Unstoppable: When Yami is reduced to fewer than 0 hit points but not slain, he can spend one use of his resolve as an immediate action to instantly stabilize and remain conscious. Yami is staggered, but he does not fall unconscious and begin dying if he takes a standard action. Yami does fall unconscious if he takes additional damage from any source.
Self Reliant (Ex) Whenever Yami fails a Will saving throw against an effect with a duration greater than 1 round, Yami can attempt another saving throw at the end of the second round of the effect. If Yami makes this saving throw, it has the same effect as if he had made the original save (negating part or all of the effect). In addition, whenever Yami is brought below 0 hit points, on his next turn he can roll twice to stabilize, taking the better result.
Weapon Expertise (Ex) Yogumi can draw his katana as a free action as if he had the Quick Draw feat. In addition, whenever he threatens a critical hit with his katana, he gains a +2 bonus on the confirmation roll.
Without Master (Ex) Yami can summon up this willpower as an immediate action, and can use it in one of three ways. Yami can use his willpower whenever an attack would reduce him to fewer than 0 hit points but wouldn’t kill him, to instead be at 1 hit point and conscious. Yami can use his willpower after making an attack roll to confirm a critical hit in order to reroll the confirmation roll. Finally, Yami can use his willpower to take 10 on a skill check during combat, even if the situation or the skill would not normally allow him to take 10. Yami can use this ability once during a combat.

YAMI’S MOUNT
Male horse
N Large animal
Init +4; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +13
DEFENSE
AC 27, touch 11, flat-footed 25 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +8 natural, +8 armor)
hp 104 (11d8+55)
Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +4; +4 vs. enchantment spells and effects
Defensive Abilities devotion, evasion
OFFENSE
Speed 35 ft. [50 ft. unarmored]
Melee 2 hooves +12 (1d4+6)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
STATISTICS
Str 21, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 7
Base Atk +8; CMB +15; CMD 29 (33 vs. trip)
Feats Combat Reflexes, Endurance, Heavy Armor Proficiency, Power Attack (-3/+6), Run, Toughness
Skills Acrobatics +3 [+8 unarmored], Perception +13, Swim +5 [+10 unarmored]
SQ link, tricks (attack, come, defend, down, fetch, guard, heel, perform, seek, stay, work)
Gear masterwork o-yoroi barding[/spoiler]

SHINPI YOGAMI, Shujin of Dawn Castle, CR 11 (XP 12,800)
Male human aristocrat 4/samurai 9
Init +6; Senses Perception +10
DEFENSE
AC 22, touch 12, flat-footed 20 (+2 Dex, +10 armor)
hp 119 (4d8+9d10+39)
Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +6
Defensive Abilities greater resolve, resolve 5/day
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft. [30 ft. unarmored]
Melee +1 katana +18/+13/+8 (1d8+6 [one-handed] or 1d8+8 [two-handed]/15-20); unarmed strike +17/+12/+7 (1d3+5)
Ranged +1 composite longbow +16/+11/+6 (1d8+5/×3)
Special Attacks banner +2/+1, challenge (+9, 3/day)
STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 12
Base Atk +12; CMB +17; CMD 29
Feats Improved Critical (katana), Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mounted Archery, Mounted Combat, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack (-4/+8 or +12), Ride-By Attack, Weapon Focus (composite longbow)
Skills Appraise +8, Bluff +8, Climb +5 [+10 unarmored], Craft (paintings) +5, Craft (bows) +5, Diplomacy +8, Handle Animal +10, Intimidate +14, Knowledge (local) +5, Knowledge (nobility) +8, Linguistics +5, Perception +10, Perform (oratory) +8, Ride +10 [+15 unarmored], Sense Motive +8, Survival +8, Swim +5 [+10 unarmored]
SQ mount (horse), mounted archer, order of the warrior (honor in all things 2/day, way of the samurai), weapon expertise (katana)
Gear +1 composite longbow (+4 Str) with 20 arrows, belt of physical perfection +2, +1 katana, +2 o-yoroi
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Banner (Ex) Yogumi's banner becomes a symbol of inspiration to his allies and companions. As long as his banner is clearly visible, all allies within 60 feet receive a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear and a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls made as part of a charge. The banner must be at least Small or larger and must be carried or displayed by the samurai or his mount to function.
Challenge (Ex) Once per day, Yogami can challenge a foe to combat. As a swift action, he chooses one target within sight to challenge. Yogami's melee attacks deal +9 damage when made against the target of his challenge. Yogami can use this ability 3/day. Challenging a foe requires much of Yogami's concentration. He takes a –2 penalty to his Armor Class, except against attacks made by the target of his challenge. The challenge remains in effect until the target is dead or unconscious, or until the combat ends. Yogami's challenge also includes another effect, which is listed in the section describing his order.
Greater Resolve (Ex) Yogumi can spend his resolve to negate some of his most grievous wounds. After a critical hit is confirmed against him, Yogumi can spend one use of his resolve as an immediate action to treat that critical hit as a normal hit. Effects that only trigger on a critical hit do not trigger when Yogumi uses this ability.
Honor in All Things (Ex) Yogumi draws strength from his sense of honor. Whenever he makes a skill check or saving throw, he can call upon his honor as a free action to grant him a +4 morale bonus on the roll. Yogumi can use this ability 2/day.
Mounted Archer (Ex) Yogumi is skilled at firing ranged weapons while mounted. He only takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls with ranged weapons while his mount takes a double move. This penalty increases to –4 while his mount is running.
Resolve (Ex) Yogami can call upon his resolve to endure even the most devastating wounds and afflictions. He can use this ability 5/day. Whenever Yogami defeats the target of his challenge, he regains one daily use of his resolve, up to his maximum number of uses per day. Defeating the target of his challenge usually involves reducing the target to 0 hit points or fewer, but in some cases an enemy who surrenders or flees the battle is also defeated. Yogami can use this resolve in a number of ways.
Determined: As a standard action, Yogami can spend one use of his resolve to remove the exhausted, fatigued, frightened, nauseated, shaken, sickened, or staggered condition. If the condition has a duration longer than 1 hour or is permanent, this ability removes the condition for 1 hour, at which time the condition returns.
Resolute: Whenever Yogami is required to make a Fortitude or Will save, he can spend one use of his resolve as an immediate action to roll twice and take the better result. Yogami must decide to use this ability before he rolls the saving throw.
Unstoppable: When Yogami is reduced to fewer than 0 hit points but not slain, he can spend one use of his resolve as an immediate action to instantly stabilize and remain conscious. Yogami is staggered, but he does not fall unconscious and begin dying if he takes a standard action. Yogami does fall unconscious if he takes additional damage from any source.
Way of the Samurai (Ex) Yogumi's sense of honor and loyalty drives him to accomplish seemingly impossible tasks. He can, as a standard action, focus his mind and will. Once during the next minute, Yogumi can choose to roll an attack roll, skill check, or saving throw three times and take the best result. He must decide to use this ability before the roll is made. Using this ability expends one daily use of his resolve.
Weapon Expertise (Ex) Yogumi can draw his katana as a free action as if he had the Quick Draw feat. In addition, whenever he threatens a critical hit with his katana, he gains a +2 bonus on the confirmation roll.

YOGUMI’S MOUNT
Male horse
N Large animal
Init +3; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +12
DEFENSE
AC 25, touch 11, flat-footed 23 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural, +8 armor)
hp 76 (8d8+40)
Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +3; +4 vs. enchantment spells and effects
Defensive Abilities devotion, evasion
OFFENSE
Speed 35 ft. [50 ft. unarmored]
Melee 2 hooves +10 (1d4+5)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 7
Base Atk +6; CMB +12; CMD 25 (29 vs. trip)
Feats Endurance, Heavy Armor Proficiency, Run, Toughness
Skills Perception +12
SQ link, tricks (attack, come, defend, down, fetch, guard, heel, perform, stay, work)
Gear masterwork o-yoroi barding
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 13 times in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Do you know Rite Publishing's Kaidan products? It's a Japanese horror setting for PF and they've put out some excellent rules material too (a book on Samurai with new archetypes, rules for samurai clans, yakuza families etc...)

Some of their material is available on d20pfsrd...
Last edited by The Giamarga on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Thank you for the info Giamarga. I had never heard of it. I'll definitely purchase the PDFs. I love running adventures that are Eastern themed from time to time.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

As to Shinpi Haki’s sons, the six Shujin of Rokushima Taiyoo.....

The Ravenloft DMG lists the four brothers in the following order: Yoku, Yake, Yami, and Yogami.
I decided to make this the order of their births. I also decided to add the eldest and youngest sons who were both killed to the list. Making it Yato, Yoku, Yake, Yami, Yogami, and Yasuo.

I also thought that Shinpi Haki's pride in his sons should have been his greatest weakness. The tyrant refused to discipline his boys, which was particularly odd behavior for a man who made it a point to be treated with honor and respect, but not so strange for a man who carved his empire with his deceit as much as his blade. In any case, nobody but his sons disappointed Shinpi Haki and survived.

Fist there was Shinpi Yato, Haki's “Number One Son”. Yato was almost everything Shinpi Haki could have hope for in a son. He was obedient, honorable, strong, and a born leader. Unfortunately he was assassinated by ninja moments after Haki expired.

Shinpi Yoku, Haki’s second born, was possibly his fathers greatest disappointment. He rebelled against his father and was allowed to get away with it. Unlike his father and brothers, Yoku had little interest in the code of the bushido, although he did develop greater skill with swords than any of them. Rather than abiding by Haki's wishes Yoku ran off to train as a ninja. When Haki split up the six islands between his sons he granted Yoku the Castle of Ice, which was so named for its being built on a chunk of glacial ice on the northeast island. The many ninja clans that dotted the island, especially atop Mount Frost, were more likely to accept one of their own as Shujin anyway, at least this was what Haki had hoped.

Shinpi Yake, Haki's third son was little better than Yoku. Yake at least attempted to adhere to the tenets of the bushido, but his martial skills were lacking. His mind on the other hand was as sharp as any katana, like his old man. Yake sought out more arcane pursuits when he realized he would never live up to his father’s expectations. He was passionate about weaponcraft and the primal power of the five elements. Perhaps he was not a great swordsman, but he learned how to work metal into exquisite swords. Yake mastered elemental fire under the tutelage of five great elementalists that resided in five soaring towers [one for each element: metal, wood, fire, water, and earth] on the southwestern island of Rokushima Taiyoo. When Haki acquired this island he passed it on to Yake who built two additional towers: one for himself and another for his growing number of concubines. Now his demesne is known as the Seven Towers.

Shinpi Yami the fourth born, the demon of the Fortress of Darkness. Yami was the source of constant worry for Haki. A rage distilled in the boy as small child and it only worsened as he grew into a powerful adult. Many began to whisper in secret that Yami was no man at all but rather an oni [an evil spirit given flesh]. The truth was nearly as insidious. Yami was in fact a normal man but a great evil had attached itself to his soul. He was transposing with a wicked oni, an ogre mage to be exact. In his current stage of the transposition Yami hides his face behind a large demon mask, for it is truly hideous, fanged and horned, and with bulging eyes. Unmasked, Yami never allows anyone to see him in full light and he keeps his fortress shadowy at all times. This does not hinder Yami in the slightest as he can see perfectly without any light at all. His samurai are all trained to fight in the dark as well. The Fortress of Darkness is not completely without light of course, but it is severely restricted, and never brought into Yami's presence.

Shinpi Yogami, Haki’s fifth born, Shujin of Dawn Castle has always been a patron of art and philosophy, and an idiot. In reality Yogami is a brute with little or no talent of his own, but it is still very important to him that his samurai respect beauty as much as combat. He hosts a samurai poetry contest in the exquisite gardens of Dawn Castle every spring for example, provided that his brothers don’t sabotage the event, and they often do. When this happens Yogami and his samurai go on a rampage seeking to stamp out all the traitors among his people once and for all. Ironically, the juxtaposition of art, philosophy, and outright bloodshed and carnage on the northwest island is quite appalling.

Shinpi Yasuo, the sixth born was beloved by nearly all who knew of him, epitomizing honor and compassion. His brothers were threatened by and jealous of his popularity, and so he was ambushed by traitors and cut down shortly after Haki's death, a very dishonorable way to go.
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 15 times in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

If you want to purchase Kaidan stuff check out their free adventure first. They have an acclaimed module trilogy and lots of rules material. Go to paizo for reviews but purchase on rite or rpgnow for bundle prices.

I'm not very familiar with Rokushima Taiyo so I can't really comment ...
Last edited by The Giamarga on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

OK another Dark Lord. The twisted inbred native Barovian (one of em anyway) that imagined himself a deity long before the Dark Powers even stepped in. G'Henna's own, the high priest of Zhakata, Yagno Petrovan.

YAGNO PETROVNA, High Priest of Zhakata, Darklord of G’Henna, CR 13 (XP 25,600)
Male human cleric of Zhakata 12
Init +0; Senses Perception +10
DEFENSE
AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
hp 90 (12d8+24); regeneration 1 [within 100 yards of the High Altar]
Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +17; +3 to all saves while within 100 yards of the High Altar
Defensive Abilities resistance +3 [+6 within 100 yards of the High Altar], Zhakata’s blessing; Resist fire 10
Weakness dependence on altar
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +2 dagger +13/+8 (1d4+3/19-20); flail +10/+5 (1d8+1)
Special Attacks channel negative energy 11/day (DC 22, 6d6), charm the masses (DC 22), closing the borders, touch of transformation (3/day)
Domain Spell-Like Abilities (CL 12th; concentration +16)
7/day—fire bolt (30 ft., +9 touch, 1d6+6 [+12 within 100 yards of the High Alter] fire)
7/day—resistant touch (1 minute)
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 12th; concentration +16)
6th—antimagic fieldD, fire seedsD (DC 20), summon monster VI
5th—flame strike (DC 19), fire shieldD, slay living (DC 19), spell resistanceD
4th—divine power, giant vermin, spell immunityD, wall of fireD
3rd—bestow curse (DC 17), blindness/deafness (DC 17), fireballD (DC 17), magic vestment, protection from energyD
2nd—cure moderate wounds, disfiguring touch (DC 16), enthrall (DC 16), produce flameD, weapon of awe
1st— burning handsD (DC 15), ray of sickening (DC 15), sanctuaryD (DC 15), shield of faith, sun metal
0 (at will)—detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic
D Domain spell; Domains Fire, Protection
STATISTICS
Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 19, Cha 18
Base Atk +9; CMB +10; CMD 20
Feats Ability Focus (charm the masses), Channel Smite, Extra Channel, Improved Channel, Improved Iron Will, Iron Will, Weapon Focus (dagger)
Skills Appraise +8, Bluff +10, Craft (carpentry) +5, Diplomacy +10, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (history) +5, Knowledge (religion) +16, Perception +10, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +16, Survival +6
Languages Balok, Falkovnian
SQ aura, aura of protection (+2 [+4 within 100 yards of the High Altar] deflection, energy resistance 5 [10 within 100 yards of the High Altar], 12 rounds/day), detect disruption, sinkhole of evil, spontaneous casting (inflict)
Gear cap topped with a stiff folded crest, +2 dagger, flail, priestly robes (usually red and orange), unholy symbol of the Zhakata (a cord containing beads and human teeth that Yagno wears draped across his chest)
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Aura of Protection (Su) Yagno can emit a 30-foot aura of protection for 12 rounds/day. Yagno and his allies within this aura gain a +2 [+4 within 100 yards of the High Altar] deflection bonus to AC and resistance 5 [10 within 100 yards of the High Altar] against all elements (acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic).
Charm the Masses (Su) Anyone listening to Yagno’s sermon for more than one round must make a Will save DC 22 or suffer the effects of a charm person spell. For natives of G’Henna the duration of this charm is 24 hours, for non-natives the duration is only 6 hours.
Closing the Borders (Su) When Yagno wants to seal his domain, a wall of jeering animal skulls appears before any creature within 100 feet of the border. The wall extends into the heavens. No amount of magic or muscle can move it. As soon a creature heads back into G’Henna, the wall disappears.
Dependence on Altar (Su) Yagno’s special abilities as Dark Lord are derived from the great Altar atop his temple. Charm the masses, divine transformation, and Zhakata’s blessing function only while he is within 100 yards of the High Alter or a piece of it. To use charm the masses and divine transformation upon an unwilling subject, Yagno must also perform before a flock of worshipers. Otherwise, these abilities will only affect himself and his faithful minions. Yagno’s closing the borders ability functions no matter where he is in relation to the High Alter.
Divine Transformation (Su) Yagno typically he uses this power to punish criminals through a ceremony upon the High Altar. Yagno changes these unfortunates into mongrelmen merely by raking his fingers across their temples and chest. There is no saving throw is allowed to resist the effect. The transformation is permanent and can be reversed only by casting remove curse during a G’Hennan wind-storm. At any time, Yagno can reverse the process with another touch, but he never does. Yagno cannot transform anyone who does not believe in Zhakata. He is careful to hide this fact, transforming disguised G’Hennans and killing real outlanders in secret. Yagno may also use this power as a polymorph spell upon any of his loyal followers or himself. This latter effect lasts for only 12 rounds. Yagno can use his divine transformation ability 3/day.
Fire Bolt (Sp) As a standard action, Yagno can unleash a scorching bolt of divine fire from his outstretched hand. Yagno can target any single foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack with this bolt of fire. If he hits the foe, the fire bolt deals 1d6+6 points of fire damage. Yagno can use this ability 7/day.
Persistence (Su) The Dark Powers have preserved Yagno Petrovna, slowing his aging down to a crawl. Though more than 80 years old, he appears to be a man in his fifties and carries himself as if he were still in his prime.
Resistant Touch (Sp) As a standard action, Yagno can touch an ally to grant him his resistance bonus for 1 minute. When Yagno uses this ability, he loses his resistance bonus granted by the Protection domain for 1 minute. Yagno can use this ability 7/day.
Zhakata’s Blessing (Su) While within range of the High Alter, all of Yagno’s domain granted powers double their normal bonuses. In addition he regenerates 1 hit point per round.
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.