[Ravenloft in Pathfinder] weak undeads

Discussing all things Ravenloft
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

[Ravenloft in Pathfinder] weak undeads

Post by kottakinge »

Hello fellow DM.
This week end i will DM a Ravenlot game and i decided to use PF for the rules.
One of my new player made a cleric character with the Morning Lord as deity.
With the new channel energy ability clerics are very powerful against the undeads, and in PF's rules undeads are weaker than D&D 3.5 (D8 hit dice for example).
Ravenloft was intended to be a world where undeads are powerfull and more "turn resistant" than other D&D world.
How can i reflet that in PF? what house rules do you use?
Thanks in advance.
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: [Ravenloft in Pathfinder] weak undeads

Post by MichaelTumey »

Personally, I don't find undead in Pathfinder to be significantly weaker than 3x versions. Regarding channel energy, the cleric has to choose to channel undead damage. Using it to heal party members does not damage undead, channeling only does one or the other. Turn Undead by 3x rules was more devastating to undead, when it worked, whereas Channel Energy causes actual damage and may or may not destroy all of them, but it tends not to destroy entire parties of undead, like old style turning. Against one or a few, yes channel energy works well, but against a horde things are more evenly matched.

This is Ravenloft though, and setting rules exceed system rules, especially regarding undead - I don't see the problem.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Undead also get a save for half damage, which can help. Slipping them some channel resistance (a bonus to saves) helps.
You could also slip some undead the "advanced" simple template or give them an extra hit dice. Or mindless undead might gain Toughness as a bonus feat granted by the Mists.
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

You're right i didn't notice that you have to choose whereas the channel affect living or unliving things.
Thanks for the hilights
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Also, if they are in direct service (i.e. controlled by) a darklord, they get the darklord's Cha bonus as a bonus to their save to resist the channelled energy (RL3e p 90). Plus, the channel resistance of all undead in RL is increased by 1 (RL3e p 38) or, if they're a darklord, their Wisdom bonus (RL3e p 90).

As the others have said, I've never really found it a problem. They'll take half damage more often than not, and the times they don't will stop your cleric from feeling useless.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

d8 HD are less than d12 but they do get CHA to hp, fort saves etc. now. It's a net win mostly.