5e announced!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: 5e announced!

Post by alhoon »

Since I'll put it there for free (not even "pay what you want", just free) I doubt they will put the plug. And Shadowfell is a part of Forgotten Realms and the DMG mentions you can be drawn to the Shadowfell through dark portals, graveyards and other such things (so mists are totally legit). Horror and madness saves are... in the DMG. And in Out of the Abyss adventure.
So... I don't think it's on the same level as putting in a place called "clubovia" with a vampire Lord call Stahrd, in a castle called "crowloft". That would rightly be seen as infringement.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

With my old "Ravenloft: Origins" game, I'd usually be right up Wizbro's alleyway; essentially, it was a reboot of RL within the FR continuity, with the twist of Ezra and Tatyana being the same person. - I might even pitch it to them, come time, but as of now, I first want to see what kind of bird this egg becomes when it is hatched. :lucas:
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads ... L_V1.1.pdf

First page of the SRD, which is the OGL. Forgotten Realms is the list of things you can't mention. Ravenloft is not.
Although probably it's still covered by other copyright laws, and will be for the foreseeable future.
The SRD calls out the terms mentioned in the SRD that are not open content. Those spells and references all appear elsewhere in the text and it's clarifying that even though the well of many worlds mentions "the infinite layers of the Abyss" that is not open content.

Ravenloft isn't mentioned as it's not in the SRD and doesn't need to be excluded.
Jester of the FoS

Setting agnostic material is welcome. You don't even need to go so far as to mention Domains of Dread, the Mists, or the Shadowfell. That's mostly a framing device that could be added by DMs as needed.

I'm going to be putting up an adventure from my Ravenloft campaign, and all I'm really doing is updating from PF to 5e and replacing Mordentshire with M_____ or a random town name.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I didn't plan to mention "domains of dread" as I assume that's copyrighted material. Nor I will mention "Dark Powers" and "Powers check". Just "Incomprehensible forces and powers that the human mind cannot understand due to its mortal imperfection" and leave it at that.

As for mists: Daggerdale and Mistdale have plenty of them. And Jander started from there IIRC.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

alhoon wrote:I didn't plan to mention "domains of dread" as I assume that's copyrighted material. Nor I will mention "Dark Powers" and "Powers check". Just "Incomprehensible forces and powers that the human mind cannot understand due to its mortal imperfection" and leave it at that.

As for mists: Daggerdale and Mistdale have plenty of them. And Jander started from there IIRC.
That's why I wrote that RLO would be worth a thought for me, had the process been vetted. - The question on the DMsG is not: "Are there possibilities?" - But: "Will we not regret this?"

FR is the core of 2e, and with that, de-facto connected to all the other D&D worlds; there are certainly ways to bring content from there over, but I personally don't want to be the one to try and find out how lenient WotC really is. - And I honestly wouldn't advice any of you to be *that one*, either. There are better ways to work with your own material.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

And after Ravenloft... the Giant kings are getting a strong reboot!
The usual, 256 adventure, again 1st - 11th level. Forgotten Realms, not Greyhawk.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... gs-thunder

I think the slavelords remain from the classics, or am I wrong?
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Yeah, I didn't expect that! Looks very interesting.

Side note: My "old school Ravenloft" easter egg in The Ghost survived the editing process:

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I did expect that. They're remaking the classics, pushing them in the modern era. Ravenloft is the most straightforward so far, but we already got Elemental evil and the Queen of Spiders. Now we get the giants.

Remaining classics from the top of my head: the red hand of doom, Slavelords and perhaps the Undermountain adventure.
After that... well they have 2 years to come up with originals. It's not like they lack originality if we go by the improvement they brought to the classics so far.
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Ken of Ghastria wrote:Side note: My "old school Ravenloft" easter egg in The Ghost survived the editing process:
Nice! Keep the setting alive! :)

I can't wait to download your adventure. Just been a bit busy lately...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Definetely WotC has in mind to release the Slave-lords again. There is mention of them in the DMG, under Satrapy.

Good. I want to kill some some high-level NPCs and ant-people without having to deal with a 60-bugbear encounter or a troll that is hiding in a small box using potions of diminution.
My DMGuild work!
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Funny, I've never thought of Red Hand of Doom as a classic. It came out later in 3E time, if I recall. Don't get me wrong; I love the module.

For me, classics are stuff like you mentioned, Demonweb Pits, Against the Giants, etc. I would also figure we might see 5E versions of Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, maybe even the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh or the Egyptian modules.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Tomb of Horrors and WPMountain have been already converted I think but I can be thinking of the Playtest... In any case, naaah. Those classics are dungeon crawls, not campaigns.
They should all be combined in a big book, not wait 6 months to go from one to the next.
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

alhoon wrote:Remaining classics from the top of my head: the red hand of doom, Slavelords and perhaps the Undermountain adventure.
I'm not sure if Out of the Abyss serves the same role as Queen of the Demonweb Pits. But, they scratch the same drow itch, so it likely keeps that from being updated any time soon.

Red Hand of Doom is pretty cool, but it overlaps with Tyranny of Dragons. So that's unlikely.

Scourge of the Slavelords is a good bet, likely with a Sword Coast hook. Slavers of the Sword Coast or something...
Isle of Dread as a big sandbox, likely with side islands.
Desert of Desolation might work. Mummies and undead, with a strong Egyptian theme.

My guess at the next classic update (after slavers) is Gates at Firestorm Peak, for some Far Realms action and lots of aberrations.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Jester of the FoS wrote:I'm not sure if Out of the Abyss serves the same role as Queen of the Demonweb Pits.
Not Q1. It serves the same role as D1-D3 I think.
It introduces the Underdark, the Kuo Toa, the drow + a lot of people that should have been introduced in Queen of the Demonweb Pits, like the Duergar, instead of a reference "and that big area here is Duergar. If you know what Myconids are, you can place some of them in those hexes as well. The end."
It is even loyal to the wonder introduced when Gygax first opened the Underdark. OK, instead of a big demon spider you have a bunch of demon thingies and lot more material and RP opportunities.

Jester of the FoS wrote: Red Hand of Doom is pretty cool, but it overlaps with Tyranny of Dragons. So that's unlikely.

My guess at the next classic update (after slavers) is Gates at Firestorm Peak, for some Far Realms action and lots of aberrations.
For the Red Hand... you're actually right. We already have "loyalists of Tiamat + dragons".
I don't know of Gates at Firestorm Peak, which since you name as a classic, I feel I should google about. ;)
My DMGuild work!