5e announced!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: 5e announced!

Post by Hell_Born »

alhoon wrote:2 More FR books: Guide to monsters to expand on monsters and "Dungeology" that explores the Underdark and other locales (by the title, I would say it's adventure-oriented; Urban adventures, cold dungeons, underdark).
Sorry, but unfortunately, Dungeonology is nothing like that. It's a freaking kid's "pull-out" book - a D&D-themed entry into a line that includes books like Dragonology, Piratology, Egyptology and Monsterology - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ologies_(series)
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

To be fair, those books are in a way wonderful. I gave my 10-yr old niece the Piratology and Dragonology books last Christmas--and just because, I bought Egyptology for my own. Dungeonology hasn't reached here yet, though.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Really? Oh well...then it's not for me. Sorry for spreading misinformation.

So... anyone has any idea what will be the next D&D storyline?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Hell_Born wrote:
alhoon wrote:2 More FR books: Guide to monsters to expand on monsters and "Dungeology" that explores the Underdark and other locales (by the title, I would say it's adventure-oriented; Urban adventures, cold dungeons, underdark).
Sorry, but unfortunately, Dungeonology is nothing like that. It's a freaking kid's "pull-out" book - a D&D-themed entry into a line that includes books like Dragonology, Piratology, Egyptology and Monsterology - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ologies_(series)
I like the idea of Dungeonology. Get more kids into D&D and introduce them to the lore. Excited to get that for my son.
I love that they're doing more D&D books that aren't just more D&D RPG books.
alhoon wrote:Really? Oh well...then it's not for me. Sorry for spreading misinformation.

So... anyone has any idea what will be the next D&D storyline?
Nope.
They only announce them a few months in advance. We'll likely find out about this one in mid-Jaurary or February or so.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/ta ... ing-portal

:(

I hope that's not what they plan to publish instead of an adventure for next season. Updating the stats to 5th edition from those adventures is something that takes from little-to-no time. You can practically run the adventures with the 2e material, making a note here and there about changing "bend bars check" to strength check with DC 20 or something.
And if we go 3e? Not even that. Just update the stat blocks. Forge of Fury and Sunless citadel are for low levels, so the +2 covers them both. Increase skill DCs by 1 for Forge of Fury and you're done.
And against the giants? With Storm king's thunder around? :lol:

I'm not saying this is bad, what I'm saying is that I was used to a good-to-awesome adventure every 6 months that was inspired by those classics. Not a dungeon crawl with threads of backstory.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

alhoon wrote:I hope that's not what they plan to publish instead of an adventure for next season.
Well, the fact that it's on the official D&D website means that it's coming up next.
alhoon wrote:I'm not saying this is bad, what I'm saying is that I was used to a good-to-awesome adventure every 6 months that was inspired by those classics. Not a dungeon crawl with threads of backstory.
ENWorld had been tracking past D&D fan polls about what players wanted, and it turns out that they wanted adventure revamps for 5E. Hence, Yawning Portal.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I never realized it was an "or" situation. :( I have also asked for revamped old adventures in the past (distant past). I think I've said as much in a couple of WotC surveys. And yes, having sunless citadel for 5e would be nice. I just figured I would not be heard among the 80K or so participants! I've been asking for Ravenloft adventures reboot too! Some of the Ravenloft adventures of TSR are among the best IMO that came out in the 90s.
But ... not -just- that. They used to throw out like 12-15 books per year. Now we're at what? 4? 5?
My DMGuild work!