5e announced!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: 5e announced!

Post by alhoon »

On the feats presented by Unearthed Arcana this month: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/feats

Most of the feats are nice.
However:
I actually don't like "fell handed" 's last benefit. In short, when you use the help action, aside of granting advantage to your buddy, you also knock off the shield, giving your ally a better chance to hit.
:? That's what advantage is given for.

Spear mastery is blatantly overpowered.
+1 to hit rolls and an effective +1 to damage rolls. That's almost as good as a +2 to strength. Sure strength applies to all weapons, skills and strength saves. Someone taking the feat, is someone that uses spears so it doesn't matter that +2 applies to other weapons.
Then, you get the ability to extend the range of the spear (not minor ability at all) and deal a lot of damage if someone moves to attack you. BTW, the way the description is worded, if the target teleports next to you, you also get a free attack against it, with extra damage.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

I dunno...Spear Mastery doesn't look instantly OP to me. If anything it looks like they achieved what they wanted to try and do; take a simple weapon and make it as effective as a martial weapon for players who want to specialize around it.

I don't see a +1 to damage, only +1 to hit. (EDIT: I see, you said effective +1. I'd argue it's not effective, since you have as much chance to roll a 1 on the improved die as you do to roll a single higher number.)
The damage for the spear increases, but only if you're using two hands. So no using a shield. All it does is increase the maximum damage you can do; you can still roll a 1 for damage on the improved die. And it only goes up to 1d10 max, and doesn't stack with anything else that increases the die.
The set to receive a charge only works against a single enemy (which you have to choose ahead of time), and only if that enemy is 20' away or more when you use the bonus action. Fighting a lot of enemies? Well you're only getting your bonus damage against a single one. And don't even bother if the guy is 15' away or closer; the ability won't function.
The reach thing is a nice bonus, but really it seems to simply make it so you can attack guys a step away from when they can normally attack you. And that really only matters if they are medium; if they're larger or have reach, it just puts you on an even playing field.

Am I missing something?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mortavius wrote: Am I missing something?
Yeap. :)
Mortavius wrote:I I see, you said effective +1. I'd argue it's not effective, since you have as much chance to roll a 1 on the improved die as you do to roll a single higher number

No, mean damage increases by 1 as a result of the increased dice. You have 1/8 to roll an 1, and you now have 1/8 to roll a 7 and 1/8 to roll an 8. It's +1 to hit and damage.
Mortavius wrote: The set to receive a charge only works against a single enemy (which you have to choose ahead of time), and only if that enemy is 20' away or more when you use the bonus action.
Most enemies start combat at least 20' away, so it's a free attack. And you could always move back, so that they have to move 20' to catch you. I would say it's a free attack at nearly every encounter. As such, it's by itself quite close to the fighter's action surge (it doesn't give more attacks or bonus actions BUT you don't need a short rest and if you play tactically you get more use out of this).
Mortavius wrote:
The reach thing is a nice bonus, but really it seems to simply make it so you can attack guys a step away from when they can normally attack you. And that really only matters if they are medium; if they're larger or have reach, it just puts you on an even playing field.

Am I missing something?
Large creatures don't automatically have reach. So, you can stand behind your dwarf buddy and hit at the ogre at peace.

All these, ON TOP of the +1 to hit and damage. The trade off of taking this feat is... you don't get a +1 to strength saves and skills like athletics.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Well, respectfully, I disagree. It's not the same as +1 to damage. That's a bonus you can count on. If I have a +1 to damage, it means whatever I roll, I'm getting +1 to that. Increasing the damage dice means on average I'll get +1, but that's not the same. Just ask some of my players, with their luck for rolling; you can easily have an encounter where you roll crap over and over again. The increased die size will not avail you at all in those situations.

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's wrong to say it's the same as a flat +1. To me, it's much more accurate to just say that the max damage you can do has gone up, because that's the only thing you can really say for certain.

As to the receiving a charge, remember. You have to choose one enemy. If that enemy doesn't charge you, the ability is completely wasted. As a DM, I would rule any reasonably intelligent creature can recognize the PC is set to receive a charge from them, and they might fall for it once, but not again. They'll just pick another target, attack with range, or send in other creatures. Boom, ability nullified. And let's not forget, the ability is an extra chance to hit. It's not a guarantee; you could easily miss. And it uses your bonus action. That's fine if you have nothing else to use it on, but I'd wager at higher levels PCs have more options and they may not want to use their bonus action on receiving a charge.

Also, I don't have many fights in my games where the PCs can just keep moving back 20' every turn. Perhaps you do, but most of my encounters the terrain blocks them (as in dungeons) or they're constrained by the boundaries of the map in some other way. Not to mention, if the PC keeps moving away, unless he uses disengage, he's going to provoke opportunity attacks. It'd be pretty wasteful I think to use your action just to not get hit, move away, then hope the enemy keeps coming at you, and doesn't choose another PC to attack.

You are correct about attacking through your friend, if that's the case, then it's really not much different than if you were a bow wielder. Damage is almost comparable as well, give or take a few points. Also, note that attacking through a creature, whether friend or enemy, gives the target half cover (+2 to AC & Dex saves).
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Not if you stand behind and to the left of the guy. ;)
I understand what you say... and I respectfully disagree. In my comments when the poll comes, I'll say its overpowered for the reasons I mentioned.

Keep in mind that there's also another thing we BOTH ignored during this discussion: Balance issues aside, would that feat be fun in the game?
My DMGuild work!
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

alhoon wrote:Not if you stand behind and to the left of the guy.
True. At that point though, it's the same as the Ranger shooting his bow. Damage might fluctuate a few points due to different weapons and such, but otherwise, pretty much the same.
alhoon wrote:Balance issues aside, would that feat be fun in the game?
I see no reason why not. I don't see it any differently than any other weapon focusing feat. If I were to make a character that used a spear, I'd certainly take it.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Me too. I would prefer it more balanced, but I can do that. It's better than a +2 to strength, much better. Probably the most powerful feat after the magic feats...
So what? :P
OK, IMO there's no question this one is better than a +2 str and the obvious choice when the time comes to choose, if you have a spear. And that's OK.
My DMGuild work!
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

alhoon wrote:OK, IMO there's no question this one is better than a +2 str
Well, I think there's lots of question there, but I don't really have anything more to add. If what I've said hasn't convinced you, then there's really nothing else I can say that would, so we'll just have to disagree.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yeap.
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The spear feat is fairly balanced given spears are a weak weapon, but one people want to use (because of spear users in Game of Thrones or 300).
It wouldn't be balanced with any martial weapons though.

That said, the playetest material tends to be purposely divisive, so as to create the most discussion. Hence the inclusion of +1 to attack. People are more willing to give feedback that way rather than just accepting as "close enough".
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I am not sure they do it out of a business practice. Are you sure?
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:I am not sure they do it out of a business practice. Are you sure?
Pretty sure. That's how most of the playtest packages went. Rather than do something safe that people would shrug at and say "close enough" and not response, they put in something more dramatic and eyecatching to see if people really reacted.
Sometimes, like advantage, people really loved it and it worked. Most of the time it was disliked, but they ended up with more feedback.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Thinking on the Spear feat. That I still consider too powerful for the reasons mentioned above but still, it's fun.

I think it should also apply to Bayonettes for games set in the late renaissance. You know, like Dementlieu, Mordent etc. Yes, I know plug bayonets are "Meh" and ring bayonets were invented in the early 18th century, which is outside of Ravenloft timeline. But that's not because of scientific or technical difficulties, it was more about thinking of combining spear + musket and trusting dirty, smelly peasants with them. They would be plausible with 17th century technology and scientific development.
So, I think they are OK for Ravenloft.
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

2 More FR books: Guide to monsters to expand on monsters and "Dungeology" that explores the Underdark and other locales (by the title, I would say it's adventure-oriented; Urban adventures, cold dungeons, underdark).
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

So... anyone has any idea what will be the next D&D storyline?
My DMGuild work!