Magic: the Gathering's Ravenloft revealed: INNISTRAD

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Magic: the Gathering's Ravenloft revealed: INNISTRAD

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

HuManBing wrote:Sure, which cards do you need? I'll dust off the Spellfire chest and gladly mail you the ones you're missing.

Assuming I have them, of course. (Which, given that I once bought a whole display case of Ravenloft booster packs, is a pretty safe assumption.)
Well there's the rub. I have all the ones from the Ravenloft set (got them all in an ebay lot). It's the other Ravenloft cards from the other sets I'm trying to get.

I still need these:
4th edition: 60 Arak, 61 Borca, 112 Dance of the Red Death, 113 Red Jack, 114 Red Tide, 352 the ancient dead, 353 madman enraged 355 the death ship 356 lesser mummy 358 vulture of the core, 359 fleeing advnenturers 360 bog monster
artifacts chase cards: 2 death rock 10 ghostly piper
dungeons: 7 under castle strahd :roll: 23 bats in the belfry, 32 ruins of loilola 61 borer, 96 animate gargoyle
nightstalkers: 5 falkovnia
nightstalkers chase: 25 mad scientists lab
runes & ruins chase: 15 tower of spirits
powers chase: shawl of mordenheim.

I don't even play the game... but they have the word ravenloft on them, so I must have them. Is that an illness? maybe...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: I still need these:
4th edition: 60 Arak, 61 Borca, 112 Dance of the Red Death, 113 Red Jack, 114 Red Tide, 352 the ancient dead, 353 madman enraged 355 the death ship 356 lesser mummy 358 vulture of the core, 359 fleeing advnenturers 360 bog monster
artifacts chase cards: 2 death rock 10 ghostly piper
dungeons: 7 under castle strahd :roll: 23 bats in the belfry, 32 ruins of loilola 61 borer, 96 animate gargoyle
nightstalkers: 5 falkovnia
nightstalkers chase: 25 mad scientists lab
runes & ruins chase: 15 tower of spirits
powers chase: shawl of mordenheim.

I don't even play the game... but they have the word ravenloft on them, so I must have them. Is that an illness? maybe...
I have all of those except the Nightstalkers chase and the Runes & Ruins chase. I definitely owned the Powers chase at one point but may have traded it away. Death Rock likewise may have been in a friend's possession rather than my own - I'll have to check.

Unfortunately, they are all in China. I may go back later this year and reclaim my property. If this happens, the cards will come back here with me and I'll go through them for you.

As a side note, some of the cards (as you note with "Under Castle Strahd") are completely laughable and it's clear the writers didn't have a single clue about the game setting.

Falkovnia apparently kills any attacking champion because it's poisoned.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Magic: the Gathering's Gothic set continues with Dark Ascension, featuring insanely beautiful art:

Morte Rouge
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Morte Rouge »

That picture sure looks like Sorin Markov (vampire planeswalker from Zendikar) to me. Same jewelled breastplate thingy and white hair.
They ask me if I feel remorse and I answer, "Why of course!
There is so much more I could have done if they'd let me!"
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Yup, that's Sorin alright. And hints seem to Indicate that Lilliana Vess gets a new card in Innistrad. Since the original Sorin is Magic 2012, I bet we get a new version of him in Dark Ascension. I wonder how the colors OTHER than black will work in this Gothic world. I mean, vampires, zombies, etc, all that is black. I suppose werewolves could be red. Maybe Green and White are the "heroes" that fight the gothic nasties. blue could be "good" too, but it's usually been on the evil side lately.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

From what has been trickled out so far:

Zombies are black but have also leaked out to blue.
Geists are green.
Werewolves are red and green.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sure enough, they've come right out and said this is the "Gothic Horror Set" at Comic-Con. (dunno if this was stated anywhere else before).

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... y/twtw/153

Also, "The typical risen-from-the-grave Zombie will be black, but the dug up and reassembled kind of Zombie—think Frankenstein's monster here—will be blue."

And there's a Creepy Doll. (with awesome artwork) Oh yes, I will love this set, methinks.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

It's time to squeal like a high school girl!

THE PLANESWALKER'S GUIDE TO INNISTRAD IS UP, with beautiful Gothic artwork thrown into the mix!

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... ly/stf/157

GAVONY

KESSIG

STENSIA

NEPHALIA
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the Stensia pic especially. Nothing like a mountain-side coach ride to set the mood.
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

I'm ready to steal ideas, pictures and low-powered magic items for my campaign :D
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

Fellas, a huge bundle of cards hit a spoiler site I trust. And the three new mechanics (one and old mechanic getting a keyword, and the other two brand new) are out of this world. This is just awesome sauce fellas. But again, it is spoilers up the wahzoo so click on at your own risk.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

The day/night transform mechanic is AWESOME. And the fact that the "night" cards use Planar Chaos's alternate reality colors makes it even more stunning!

This is EXACTLY the kind of shot in the arm Richard Garfield needed to bring back to Magic. My giddy-as-a-schoolgirl-expecting-Justin-Bieber-to-show-up levels haven't been this high since the Ravnica block.

Plus, I also fell in lust with the flavor text for "Curse of the Bloody Tome." :twisted:
Morte Rouge
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Morte Rouge »

From the spoiler: both Olivia and Mikaeus are amped-up awesome. As a mythic rare should be. Thematically, this set would mesh so so well with Ravnica (Orzhov/Dimir particularly) and Shadowmoor/Eventide.

And if I didn't know better, I'd question whether this is WotC making up for no official Ravenloft setting for 4e...
They ask me if I feel remorse and I answer, "Why of course!
There is so much more I could have done if they'd let me!"
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Total awesomeness... Love the transform cards. Perfect mechanic for the flavor of werwolves, vampires, etc. Are those really laid out like split cards? The text will be pretty tiny, no? I wonder what the little "grayed out" power / toughness numbers are for, then. If you can see both sides, why do you need the "Reminder" of what's on the other side? Unless these are printed back/front, with no normal magic back? I doubt that...
Civilized Scholar oozes with flavor. And Ludevic's test subject makes me giggle since I have a PC named Ludovic in my RL campaign.

"Protection from Vampires, from Werewolves, and from Zombies" is perhaps the coolest line of text on any magic card ever.
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Total awesomeness... Love the transform cards. Perfect mechanic for the flavor of werwolves, vampires, etc. Are those really laid out like split cards? The text will be pretty tiny, no? I wonder what the little "grayed out" power / toughness numbers are for, then. If you can see both sides, why do you need the "Reminder" of what's on the other side? Unless these are printed back/front, with no normal magic back? I doubt that...
Oh my friend, then you are in for a treat.

The "transform" cards are in fact double-faced (all cards are double-sided). The greyed numbers are so you can see the transformed side's power and toughness. The way it works is there will be a "checklist token" card you put in your deck, where you check what you have in the deck. In all area other than in play, you use the checklist token. When you put the transform creature in play, you pull it from the side. So full-sized, double-faced cards.

Also, a fun bit of news, card distribution will be different per pack. Instead of the standard 11 Commons, 3 Uncommons, 1 Rare or Mythic, 1 land, and 1 Rules text card, with the option of a foily, it will now go for Innistrad:

1 double-faced card of varying rarity (so you could get a common, an uncommon, or a rare/mythic double-faced card), 10 commons, 3 Uncommons, 1 Rare or Mythic, 1 land or 1 checklist (1:4 for checklist card), 1 rules card