Magic: the Gathering's Ravenloft revealed: INNISTRAD

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Magic: the Gathering's Ravenloft revealed: INNISTRAD

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Deewun wrote:The "transform" cards are in fact double-faced (all cards are double-sided). The greyed numbers are so you can see the transformed side's power and toughness. The way it works is there will be a "checklist token" card you put in your deck, where you check what you have in the deck. In all area other than in play, you use the checklist token. When you put the transform creature in play, you pull it from the side. So full-sized, double-faced cards.
Whoa... that's ... bizarre. But awesome. A little wonky, but I like it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
CorvusCornix
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by CorvusCornix »

Deewun wrote: 1 double-faced card of varying rarity (so you could get a common, an uncommon, or a rare/mythic double-faced card), 10 commons, 3 Uncommons, 1 Rare or Mythic, 1 land or 1 checklist (1:4 for checklist card), 1 rules card
Are you sure about the double-faced card? I hope so, because that would be fantastic! So far I've only read about the checklist-land-swap - which is a pity in my opinion, I can't wait to see - and get as many as possible of - the Innistrad basic lands!
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Whoa... that's ... bizarre. But awesome. A little wonky, but I like it.
It get's a lot less wonky if you are playing with opaque card sleeves: in this case you can just use the transform cards like any other magic card.

That said, I'm also really excited about the set! The flavor of the Transform-Creatures is really great. I'm just not sure how well the Werewolf-mechanic works for the owner - after all, how often does it happen that a turn passes without a player casting a spell? (all Werewolves transform at night when everybody sleeps (nobody played a spell), and transform back at daytime (at least two spells were played)).
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

CorvusCornix wrote:Are you sure about the double-faced card? I hope so, because that would be fantastic! So far I've only read about the checklist-land-swap - which is a pity in my opinion, I can't wait to see - and get as many as possible of - the Innistrad basic lands!
yeah, check out MaRo's article from yesterday, it confirms everything about the transform cards.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: I'm just not sure how well the Werewolf-mechanic works for the owner - after all, how often does it happen that a turn passes without a player casting a spell?
Well, I'm sure they playtested it, and probably tweaked the set to encourage it. Since it gets locked in at upkeep, it's pretty easy (though maybe painful) for the owner to transform them, just by refraining during his turn. (hopefully the opponent has no relevant instant to play to ruin that). Then he just has to hope the opponent doesn't have 2 relevant spells to play during his turn, and then the wolves can attack. Odd that it's easier to wolf out on defense than offense. :) But maybe the set skews expensive so it's tough to cast multiple spells in a turn. They may have encouraged discard spells and discouraged draw spells so eventually you get to top-deck mode and can't cast 2 spells a turn. These tweaks would make the werewolves work in limited, but I doubt they'd make much of a splash in any constructed format other than Innistrad block constructed. (Though the perverse (and ancient) side of me wants to make an arcane laboratory (or rule of law) werewolf deck, or an orim's chant / isochron scepter werewolf deck, or a stasis / winter orb werewolf deck.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

The flip card thing is good, but the implementation might seem a bit clunky, even for casual.
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

I agree, it is a bit clunky, but I think it'll play in a very fun way. It'll slow things a little as you'll have to have your stack of double-faced cards nearby to pull in when playing, but its no different than playing a sorcery for tokens. Just a bit of maintenance.
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

Had it been an actual Ravenloft = MtG cross over, I might have gotten back into MtG at least for a short time. I officially retired from MtG about 5 years ago and am not really interested in getting back into the game - so many rule changes, and new arguments that lead to the same old ones that got me to stop playing the game in the first place. Good to know that its not really a Ravenloft crossover, at least I don't have to get back involved in a game I thought I was done with - thus still am.

Michael
Sanvean
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Sanvean »

As a fan of gothic Horror and Ravenloft -i recommend everyone have at least look at the art and setting of Innistrad -The designers were as they put "going for flavour" and the result is some beautiful gothic horror art. I have been in and out of Magic ccg for years but this set is the right hook for me to get back into.
"Listen to them-the children of the night. What music they make!"
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sanvean wrote:As a fan of gothic Horror and Ravenloft -i recommend everyone have at least look at the art and setting of Innistrad -The designers were as they put "going for flavour" and the result is some beautiful gothic horror art. I have been in and out of Magic ccg for years but this set is the right hook for me to get back into.
Yes, yes, 1000 times yes. I think Ravenloft fans will be stealing art from this block for their campaigns for years to come. I know I will. Check out this art gallery.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... arcana/788

The "dagger" of some sort from the next to last pic is gorgeous. I know I'll find a use for it somewhere.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

wow, this preview article opens like a Ravenloft PC character background.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... ly/stf/159

:)

I'm positively giddy for this set.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The whole card gallery is up now, in case anyone didn't see.
http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/articl ... istrad/cig#

Looks gorgeous. I can't wait to play at the prerelease this weekend.
Starglyte
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Starglyte »

Just because it reminded me of Ravenloft, I picked up the fat pack and the intro decks. Makes me wish they do a 4ed crossover with Innistrad since they put Ravenloft back on the shelf.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

For the sake of completeness, I'll mention that the pre-release was great fun, and I even did pretty well, going 3-1 and 4-0 in my two sealed events. Love the set so far. Werewolves are a much bigger threat than I'd expected. The one match I lost was to a guy that managed to pull 2 Mayor of Avabruck/Howlpack Alphas (one regular, one foil, not including the pre-release promo version that we all got but couldn't play in sealed) a ton of other nasty lycanthropes. I felt like I'd just camped out alone in Verbrek by the time he was done. :P
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Eek! On my end of the drafts I've started creating a W/U spirit deck (weenie control has always been my style), just so to clobber all those pesky Humans. :twisted:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hehe.... fun article on the costumes of Innistrad. Most applies to Ravenloft costuming as well, IMHO.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... ly/stf/164

My favorite quote:
"We get to think about grommets and coat buttons, collar folds and epaulets. Elbow-length gloves and knee-high boots. Prussian military-inspired armor and Hessian soldier-inspired jackets. Priests' robe-sleeves and vampire slayers' stake-holsters. Corset-reinforced peasant dresses and sleepwear-reminiscent gowns for angels. And hats. If we were going to a gothic horror setting then BY HOLY AVACYN ON HIGH THERE WOULD BE HAAAATS" :)
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Just like Ravenloft... you never really quit Magic, just take some time off. :)

(My time off was Nemesis through Prophecy. I don't play as often as I used to, but I try to go to a draft or sealed deck a few times a year, and I play with a friend online via Apprentice pretty often.)
I've not touched the game since around the time Torment was available. They put the prices up (a lot) in the UK and it became far to expensive.
Swallow your soul!