Magic: the Gathering's Ravenloft revealed: INNISTRAD

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Magic: the Gathering's Ravenloft revealed: INNISTRAD

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

A lot of speculation has already popped up about what could be Magic: the Gathering's first (or second, if you consider Homelands) Gothic horror set. The pic above shows Lilianna Vess, black planeswalker, seated on a throne of D&D black dragons, which have led some to speculate that this might be THE set that creates a link between the universes of M:tG and D&D.

Additionally, this would be the first cycle in a REALLY long time that Richard Garfield, the creator of Magic, returns to the creative team.

Finally, given that this is D&D 4E's Shadowfell year, this set's release isn't just a coincidence!
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: Magic: the Gathering's Ravenloft revealed: INNISTRAD

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

The Dark was pretty Gothic. I thought so, anyway.

A MtG D&D crossover sounds pretty cool to me. :)
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I too thought Ravenloft on seeing that announcement. but then i think Ravenloft when i see a bowl of cheerios, so maybe i'm not the best measure. :)

As for the dragons, there have been black dragons in magic before. Any similarity to recent depictions of black dragons in D&D is probably just artistic cross-pollination. IF magic ever hooked up officially with D&D, (and I doubt it will) it would probably be a more generic fantasy D&D world, not a niche one.

But yeah, exciting looking, and exciting to see Garfield back in an official capacity for the first time since Ravnica (which was one of my favorite sets ever..)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Homelands & Fallen Empires. So bad, yet I love them so dearly.
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

Curses...

I haven't bought a single Magic booster since Eventide. The moment I think I'm out... THEY DRAG ME BACK IN!

Gothic Horror plus Richard Garfield... why must you torment my pocketbook so?
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

I feel the same way, DasSoviet. It has been a good while (I quit at Shadowmoor) and now it looks like I'll be back.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Just like Ravenloft... you never really quit Magic, just take some time off. :)

(My time off was Nemesis through Prophecy. I don't play as often as I used to, but I try to go to a draft or sealed deck a few times a year, and I play with a friend online via Apprentice pretty often.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

I did quit Magic for good, and never looked back. I played since 3rd. up until Shards of Alara. That is one game I'll never play again. Ravenloft on the other hand, is the love of my life...(hope my wife didn't hear that :mrgreen: )
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I don't doubt your sincerity, Don, but Shards wasn't all that long ago. The Pull will start soon. ;)

Sounds like you might have had some sort of bad experience that soured you on the game. But for all its baggage, Magic is an insanely well made game. I can't imagine ever dropping it for good. Tournament Magic is a whole other beast, but I can't see myself turning down a game of casual Magic ever.
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

Yeah, I plaed Magic competitevily and it just took a toll on me. Too much money to be invested. After that I decided to play casual, but lost interest after a couple of months. I shall resist the urge of grabbing a magic card again.... though I can always take look at my card binders from time to time.... :wink:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Don Fernando wrote:. though I can always take look at my card binders from time to time.... :wink:
Ahh... if you'll never play again, why keep the cards? ;)
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I ask myself the same question with Spellfire.

I did make a few cards of my own, including some updated rebalanced cards (most of the Ravenloft champions were made a hell of a lot more powerful) but it was a purely whimsical endeavor.

I left all CCGs and RPGs for a long time in college. I'm back into RPGs now but CCGs are just a waste of money in my experience.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, if you're ever looking to get rid of your spellfire cards, I'm still looking for a few to fill holes in my Ravenloft collection. Let me know...
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Don Fernando wrote:. though I can always take look at my card binders from time to time.... :wink:
Ahh... if you'll never play again, why keep the cards? ;)
Just to remind me I'll never play that game again. :P
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Well, if you're ever looking to get rid of your spellfire cards, I'm still looking for a few to fill holes in my Ravenloft collection. Let me know...
Sure, which cards do you need? I'll dust off the Spellfire chest and gladly mail you the ones you're missing.

Assuming I have them, of course. (Which, given that I once bought a whole display case of Ravenloft booster packs, is a pretty safe assumption.)