The Frozen Lighthouse and the Tell-Tale Parrot

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Kadarin
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

The Frozen Lighthouse and the Tell-Tale Parrot

Post by Kadarin »

Greetings,
Well, this year I had a kind of Ravenloftian yule/xmas. First I found the Frozen Lighthouse:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wissen/winte ... -1.1038554

(for articles in English, google "frozen lighthouse ohio")
As I read the article, a shiver ran down my spine; but I thought it was only reflecting the cold...

A few nights later, I had a nightmare in which a lighthouse made of ice appeared prominently. Unfortunatly, I can't remember any more of it, but I woke up in cold sweat. I have to check the Chilling Encounters netbook, but there might be a Ravenloft story/adventure/haunted place in the waiting...

The there was the Blood Moon on the solstice. Which I, here in Central Europe, couldn't see, but still...

And today, I read the following, which sounds almost E.A. Poe-ish and so also gave me the creeps:

"'Richard ... Richard ... RICHARD ... Come here, Richard ... Richard, please come over to see me ... to see me ... me ... mumble, mumble ... that bird ... mumble ... Richard ... I'm lonesome, Richard ... Come over here, please, Richard ... mumble, mumble ... Richard ... Richard ... WHERE'S JENNIFER, RICHARD?'"
(from Bats Sing, Mice Giggle, by Karen Shanor, Ph.D. and Jagmeet Kanwall, Ph.D.)

Of course the story is harmless. A 22-year old African grey parrot named Toby is calling for Richard Restak, a noted neurologist and author, and his grown daughter Jennifer.

But let that snippet be heard by a bunch of Ravenloft PCs, who know that the beautiful daughter of Dr. Richard Restak (should change the name), Gennifer, is been missing for a bunch of days. Spoken by a parrot owned by an old crone, living somewhat apart from Dr. Restak's house and has never met him or his daughter...

Any ideas - for the lighthouse as well as for the tell-tale parrot - are welcome.
Morn came and went – and came, and brought no day
– George Gordon, Darkness