Preparing huge setting update: which materials can I use?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
paireon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Preparing huge setting update: which materials can I use?

Post by paireon »

Hello there, so I've been thinking about making a massive setting update/metaplot progression for Ravenloft (let's just say I found the 5e changes to be massively disappointing and leave it at that), with both 3.5 and 5e compatibility, and was thinking of using not only official materials but also many elements originating from the Kargatane/FoS, both net-published (such as the Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer) and from discussions/interviews about where they had wished to take the setting (both metaplot/timeline-wise such as the next war of Vlad Drakov, and new Domains-wise such as the ideas for an actual East Asian Cluster).

I of course don't intend to do this for profit (not like Hasbro'll ever hire me anyway), but I would like to put my work out there on the net (likely here and on the Ravenloft subreddit); and I would like to know the proper procedures for asking permission to use others' "unofficial" material and giving the authors credit.

Thanks in advance for the help.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Preparing huge setting update: which materials can I use?

Post by alhoon »

I don't know if I have something you would need. Or if I will make something you would need.
But you have my permission to use anything I have made up to the point of your release if you find it useful, if you throw in a credit.

As for the proper procedure: You ask permission. The proper procedure is actually to ask permission by every person whose work you're going to use.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
paireon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by paireon »

Thank you! I did plan on asking permission for all that I would use, it's technically more that I wanted to know if there was a specific procedure for it, given that I don't know the relevant people personally or know their forum handles.

And I'm very likely to buy your Children of the Night pdf sometime soon, would save me a ton of conversion work!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

alhoon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:59 am As for the proper procedure: You ask permission. The proper procedure is actually to ask permission by every person whose work you're going to use.
Not sure. I'm more for the "all that is out there can be used, as long as proper credit is due".
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
paireon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by paireon »

Hello, fellow Québécois! Also from Lanaudière, even (Terrebonne)!

Personally I consider officially published material fair game (couldn't do much otherwise), but anything "unofficial" (basically, fan works, and anything from the FoS) to need permission before use, at the very least as a courtesy; credit is of course a given.

That said I'm likely going to apply to that FB group of yours soon, that map of the Core is bangin'; will use a modified version at best myself though because I'm planning major changes to the Core (some Domains will shrink, others will expand, at least one will be split in two and another will be sundered and split between its neighbors), to say nothing of new Domains joining (including two Clusters and at least one Island of Terror among extant Domains). Also, one thing that always bugged me about the setting since 2e was the size and population of Domains - always struck me as way too small (seriously, Dementlieu supposed to be "urban Renaissance France" with just about 13,000-something inhabitants? Bordeaux, which really wasn't the largest French city at the time, still had about 20,000 inhabitants by itself in 1500, and 50,000 in 1700).
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:38 am
alhoon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:59 am As for the proper procedure: You ask permission. The proper procedure is actually to ask permission by every person whose work you're going to use.
Not sure. I'm more for the "all that is out there can be used, as long as proper credit is due".
I am surprised. I thought you and ScS were on the camp of "find everyone and ask permission, except if that person is MIA for 5 years".
I agree with the approach you outlined. We all share here with the understanding, and most probably the wish and intention for our imagination seeds to be used and enjoyed by others.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

alhoon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:39 pm
I agree with the approach you outlined. We all share here with the understanding, and most probably the wish and intention for our imagination seeds to be used and enjoyed by others.
Indeed!
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

paireon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:35 pm Hello, fellow Québécois! Also from Lanaudière, even (Terrebonne)!
Salutations! Et bienvenue!
paireon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by paireon »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:04 pm Salutations! Et bienvenue!
Merci bien!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Please stop trying to summon Alien entities with your warlock invocations in this forum.
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

Too late! aaargh! I had the salt, the formula! aaargh!
paireon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by paireon »

alhoon wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:20 am Please stop trying to summon Alien entities with your warlock invocations in this forum.
Funny you should say that, given some of my ideas, inspired by Mangrum's and Joël's notes RE: Van Richten's Guide to Eldritch Horrors... Oh, and don't get me started on what I've got in store for Gwydion... [Evil Laugh(tm)]

https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/The ... jects.html
Joël of the FoS wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:59 pm Too late! aaargh! I had the salt, the formula! aaargh!