New to Ravenloft? Or new to our forum? introduce yourself!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: New to Ravenloft? Introduce yourself here!

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Welcome xhibitguy! Take a look at this thread if you're looking for a game to join:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=7&t=8140
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Cromstar
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Cromstar »

Name's Cromstar, but I answer to Crom, and occasionally 'HEY YOU!'.

I was doing some consolidation work on the Ravenloft materials I have and went looking for places to fill in the gaps and ran across this place (among others). And this is by far the best place to get Ravenloft related information. Really great thing going on here. So I've been poking around for the last few months, and decided to drop by the forums personally now.

Been into D&D since I was a kid, and I love...pretty much all of it. Ravenloft and Planescape especially so. I DM off and on for some friends these days, but I do spend a bit time working on/adding to the D&D world my father started building back in the..late 70s or early 80s. (Full disclosure: he still works on it to this day as well.) Part of why I was delving into Ravenloft is that he didn't buy any Ravenloft goodies past the Black Box and 1 or 2 accessories and adventures they put out in the next year or two. When I started, I did not realize that the Red Box was even a thing. Things got easier once I got the timeline of the core sorted out in my head.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Cromstar wrote:Name's Cromstar, but I answer to Crom, and occasionally 'HEY YOU!'.
HEY YOU! welcome to the forum!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Cromstar
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Cromstar »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Cromstar wrote:Name's Cromstar, but I answer to Crom, and occasionally 'HEY YOU!'.
HEY YOU! welcome to the forum!
Glad to be here! Its a pleasure to eat, uh, I mean meat you!
therealvang
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by therealvang »

Hey, Vang is the name and 5e is my game! So I am a new D&D player with about a year and a half of experience. I played during the playtest of D&D next and have been playing/DMing in 5E. I have a huge interest in Ravenloft and have always wanted to play in the setting but unfortunately no one in my area runs ravenloft. So I have defaulted to running my own games in the setting. I am currently trying to convert the 2e adventure "Castles Forlorn" to 5E and would love some suggestions and tips!

(Darklord seem to come out underpowered) I have been using this guide for conversion https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tMJ ... U2exg/edit
Thanks for any help!
'come, we must see and act. Devils or no devils, or all the devils at once, it matters not; we fight him all the same.” Van Helsing
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Welcome, Vang! Always good to see fresh blood coming into our old setting. You may be interested in our own Jester's 5e Ravenloft conversion: http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=8786
Happy Haunting!
Jeris Moralin
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jeris Moralin »

Hey, mates! I'm not so new to Ravenloft, but I've been away for a while. Over a decade ago I posted as "Bob the Efreet" on the Kargatane boards (gosh, has it really been almost twelve years since they shut down?), and figured I'd go with a friendlier user name here. I'm still settling back in to gothic horror, but hopefully it won't take too long to get back into the swing of things.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Welcome Jeris/Bob. your old username does ring a bell, though my memories of the Kargatane boards are starting to get as foggy as those of a Barovian in Darkon. Welcome back to the [Ebon] Fold!
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Hi, New to the forum, but long time lurker, and even longer RL devotee, I bought the black box when it was released, and most of the 2nd ed range as and when it came out. While I DM strictly in 2nd ed, I'm currently running my first RL only campaign, previously trips to Ravenloft had followed the "weekend in hell" model, and I found the 2nd ed material did not provide a "functioning" world, a detailed enough sandbox, and I cast around looking for more info on population, trade, culture etc. It was then that I found this site, and I discovered that 3rd ed material existed, who could have thought such a thing? That kept me busy for a while, with the Gazeteer series providing a much needed improvement on the way the domains work as societies, and though I remained faithful to the 2nd ed, I was grateful that almost all the new material was fluff heavy. Once I'd worked my way through the 3rd ed canon, I turned back again to this site and discovered the fan netbooks, which I have enjoyed thoroughly, particularly the Gazeteer style ones. Recently, I have been creating maps for my campaign and I realised that I didn't have maps that contained the geographical detail of the black box and the later canon info of the Gaz series, and the stuff between, so I started making some, at first, I was fiddling with the Mordent Cartographical Society's excellent maps, but felt more comfortable creating new ones from scratch. As I am now generating content, which I wish to share, and have critiqued, I finally took the plunge and joined the forum, thanks for having me
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

welcome, thekristhomas! looking forward to what's been brewing in your head all these years.
DandyGhoul
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DandyGhoul »

I'm not new to Ravenloft by any measure (I started with a brand-new copy of I6 way back in the day), but I am most certainly a devotee. I've been running games (because nobody wants to be DM around me) for over 25 years at this point, in a bewildering variety of systems and campaign settings, but RL is still one of my greatest loves. I've actually been toying around with the idea of a Dementlieuse-centric campaign for a while now, and have some notes on the matter, so I hope to bounce some ideas off of the people here before I actually start recruiting at some point in the future.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Welcome DandyGhoul. Hope we can help with your campaign!
Nachtjarl
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Nachtjarl »

I am no new traveler to these roads nor the Vistani wagons that ply their trades to towns and villages reeking a deep and quiet distrust of outsiders and newcomers. I am familiar with the alchemical combination that makes up a man or woman adventurer of these parts - that bravery in the face of the overwhelming dark nights of the soul mixed with a seemingly naive curiosity that leads one down strange paths where the common folk know better to tread.

A fan of Ravenloft ever since I discovered it - and a fan of the Fraternity and the adjoining site for quite some time as well. I have been remiss in not enjoining you all and more actively participating; this corrects an error long left to stand alone in its shadow. For even in the noonday sun, the shadows of the Demiplane of Dread are long and cold - full of secrets and waking nightmares that we have all come to cherish in our own ways.

I am particularly interested in getting Ravenloft to work in 5e of which there is a lamentable paucity of setting material, although surely I am still quite fond of 2nd Edition.

I've been also wanting to see or find something similar to Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms - something that reveals more of the everyday life of the Demiplane inhabitants for more native campaigns. I know this started in Domains of Dread and was expanded upon during the Arthaus run - but unfortunately I missed out on White Wolf's particular touch there and now those (WW) books are quite expensive and not at all on PDF somewhere (legal, thank you) conveniently enough for current use.

But to say in short: well met and now let us break bread as we start our odd meal together. The feast has been running for some time, but the Dark Powers always make room for just desserts...
Dread Lord of the Five-Sided Fistagon
Roll The Knucklebones
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Welcome, Nachtjarl, I hope you will rest in peace here with us ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Dr Jekyll
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dr Jekyll »

I last travelled the mists in the mid '90's (is it really 20 years ago), but now with a real 'pea super' rolling in off The River Thames the mists are calling again!!

Loved the concept 20 years ago, but with the advent of 3.5 ed drifted away from it. Played a 1st edition game at a con recently and made me look at all my old stuff and tucked away was my dearly beloved RL books. Love Gothic Horror and decided a MOTRD campaign would be the way forward. Can't wait to get started, and get some tips from you experts!!!!! :D