New to Ravenloft? Or new to our forum? introduce yourself!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: New to Ravenloft? Introduce yourself here!

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Orphan wrote:Hi folks! I'm a long time Roleplayer and GM from Southeast Michigan United States!
Welcome, Orphan! always good to have FRESH BLOOD!!! oh, sorry, I mean.... new users of our website. (with FRESH BLOOD!)
So now here I am, developing my own Cluster within the Mists for her to begin exploring, starting with some serious work on the first country, an Ireland analog named "Inisfail" (My girlfriend loves Ireland, she's visited it several times, so the first country in the cluster is just for her) where an on-going shadow war between the Church of the Lawgiver and adherents of "The Green Faith" takes place while the provincial kings try to keep the peace!
Sounds cool! You may want to check out Tepest, "Ravenloft's Ireland," for inspiration. Servants of Darkness is a particularly nice adventure set there, which you might be able to adapt.
This site has been IMMENSELY useful particularly the Mistipedia since my 3rd edition copies of Ravenloft have been lost.
:mrgreen: 8) I'm always happy to see Mistipedia getting some use. Huzzah! and welcome!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
NoNeedForNames
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NoNeedForNames »

What can I say... I started playing pen and paper roleplaying games at the grand age of 12, back in '87! When my parents bought me a boxed set of D&D for Christmas. Being Norwegian, I had some trouble at first, but determination and a well used thesaurius made it possible for me to DM for my friends. Oh yeah, we hacked, and we slashed a few years, before we evolved into roleplayers, but it was fun. In '91 or '92 our weekly game had evolved into a grand campaign, where the players not only looked for a challenge, but more or less ruled the world. Things were getting boring, as no matter what I did, they came out on top.

We went looking for something else, and after a while we ended up with Call of Cthulhu. It was a blast, at least for me the only person willing to DM (I'm using this term no matter the system, just because it's handy.) The players had fun too, but after a while they wanted to feel that they could actually win again. I went to the local gaming store, and brought Ravenloft home.

When I told the players that I wanted to do a new D&D campaign, they were happy. I'm sure they thought they'd have an easy time again, after having endured CoC, but that was never my intention. OK, it started quite normal, the group went boldly forth to fight monsters, gain treasure and fame, and to rescue damsels (not all in distress, but still. Damsels are there to be rescued, right?)

When the fog rolled in, nobody thought about it. When the fog rolled away (I'm not sure if it really rolls away, but this fog did!) they wondered what had happened. There are much to be said about the campaign from there, but I do not wish to bore you. A paladin with a Longsword -2 of Berserking, a cleric who lost his faith, a wizard trying his best to become a lich, a very happy ranger with favoured enemy: undead. Things went belly up quite fast, but it was fun, and the players endured.

A couple of years later, life happened, and we went different ways. We all continued playing though. Paranoia, CoC, Cyberpunk 2020, and of course World of Darkness. We did meet at Christmas, and during summer, but beer and women were more interesting than dice and stats.

Then, D&D 5th edition happened. It was like a Blues Brothers moment: We got the band together! Me as DM, as it is traditional, and the others in various roles. (We have lost a few players (RIP), but gained a few through marriage.) And last Tuesday, the fog rolled in... Again!

My old friends reaction can only be described as "gleefully nervous", while the new players reactions were more along the lines of "confused bliss".

Then I found this site!
“Blood is really warm,
it's like drinking hot chocolate
but with more screaming.”
― Ryan Mecum, Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry for Your...Brains
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

NoNeedForNames wrote:What can I say... I started playing pen and paper roleplaying games...
My old friends reaction can only be described as "gleefully nervous", while the new players reactions were more along the lines of "confused bliss". Then I found this site!
Welcome aboard and here's to all of us collectively working together to scare the crap out of your players!

Save vs. SAN!
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

NoNeedForNames wrote:Then I found this site!
... and his story ends right there. Uh oh, guys, looks like another one ran afoul of one of our little "pets" under the stairs. Cleanup in the foyer! :azalin:

Welcome, NoNeedForNames! Glad to see another old-timer carrying the Ravenloft banner forward into 5e!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
NoNeedForNames wrote:Then I found this site!
... and his story ends right there. Uh oh, guys, looks like another one ran afoul of one of our little "pets" under the stairs. Cleanup in the foyer! :azalin:

Welcome, NoNeedForNames! Glad to see another old-timer carrying the Ravenloft banner forward into 5e!
Over before it even began....

*absentmindedly hides a bloody knife*

Welcome! :) hope you enjoy your eternal slum---stay i mean.... :azalin:

(Fun fact this post made me realize Absentmindedly is all one word according to auto correct. O.O'
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gynsburghe
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gynsburghe »

Greetings, fair ghoulies...

There are those who call me Dave.

I've been down the path to the FoS before - but, for some reason, I never stumbled into the Café. I might fall into the category (or oubliette) of unusual Ravenloft fans, as I'm an OSR/Old School RPG geek (I occasionally run 2e, but usually it is 1e/Hackmaster/DCC/LotFP). I've been playing some iteration of (A)D&D since around 1984, I6/I10 were favorites...

I'm pretty certain that my next foray in gaming will be in Ravenloft, as it has always suited my macabre style of DMing. I've run a few 'weekend in Hell' games for various groups over the years, but my main groups have never been horror enthusiasts so I've been left adding scraps of Gothic trimmings to more conventional fantasy settings. My main group has fizzled out from lack of fresh blood and real life affairs haunting our available time. With a bit of free time, and rekindled enthusiasm, I'm looking to remedy my empty gaming table with something that I want to run.

I'm really pretty amazed at all the details to be found here - whereas I've owned various Ravenloft products, until now I haven't had the impetus to really absorb it for use at the table. It's really helpful to have a crypt like FoS/CdN.

Best Witches,

Gynsburghe/Dave
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Welcome aboard, from one old schooler to another (great stuff in those chaotic times!). Be warned, some players don't enjoy their delve into the Mists and whine and complain. "I don't want to be paralyzed by the crazed lich." "Why do we have to tromp through the sewers when 6 people just died down there?" "When will they give me my arm back?" What a bunch of complainers!
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Welcome, Gynsburghe! I think you'll find the group here uses many varied rulesets, and hopefully you'll find ideas that work in any system. Glad you found us!
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Man, this place is still kicking?

Awesome.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Cole Deschain wrote:Man, this place is still kicking?
We usually prefer a claw/claw/bite or a good slam, but yes, yes we are...
jeraperth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jeraperth »

Hey guys. Been lurking around here for years, finally decided to sign up and say hello. Thanks for all the great gaming material.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Welcome!

Guys? How many more we need to feed the Rift-Spanner?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:Guys? How many more we need to feed the Rift-Spanner?
I think it's down to 13 now. Welcome jeraperth!
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

alhoon wrote:Welcome!

Guys? How many more we need to feed the Rift-Spanner?
If I had a dime for every time I was suckered into joining a message board that was, in fact, a complicated plot to steal my soul I'd have 70 cents. :azalin:
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
xhibitguy
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by xhibitguy »

Hello guys!

I'm new here.

I've been joining roleplay board for a long time now.
And I decided to give it a try here too.

:mrgreen:
Dark Cafe in an alley, the meeting of lost souls