New to Ravenloft? Or new to our forum? introduce yourself!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: New to the Forum? introduce yourself here!

Post by Zilfer »

Indeed. ^
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Ezekiu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ezekiu »

Hello everyone,

New guy here to not only just these boards but to also D&D in general. I have just started playing in 4e but the gaming group is rather lazy and we have one of those "power gamers" that just ruins the game for everyone. I stumbled upon the Ravenloft setting through a different forum and since I love reading horror stories (not really "horror" movies) it really called to me and now it's leaving me wanting to DM a group for it.

Outside of D&D I do sometimes partake in Warhammer Fantasy Battle, where I have a beastman army (before I found out they were terrible :cry: ). I also enjoy reading novels of all types but especially ones with mythology and suspense.

I hope to find useful information that can help me get ideas for my campaigns and hopefully spread what I have learned on to other people.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, harkens the night and silences the light"
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Welcome! I also tend to enjoy horror literature over horror movies. They just don't do anything for me for the most part. Glad to know I'm not alone. There's a ton of great Ravenloft fan stuff here and at Secrets of the Kargatane. You'll find loads of ideas! The Ravenloft game I ran from 95 to 99 was the most non-rules-oriented game in the last 20 years. I'm running Pathfinder right now that has killed gaming for me again due to a rules-heavy player.

That's why finding this forum has finally convinced me to create my own RPG... yes, folks, it's cause of this here being found last week :). I've been toying around with a game based on d20/srd/etc for about 8 years. It's coming along great and I think it'll be great for a Ravenloft engine :). Just saying.
Ezekiu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ezekiu »

NunoXEI wrote:That's why finding this forum has finally convinced me to create my own RPG... yes, folks, it's cause of this here being found last week :). I've been toying around with a game based on d20/srd/etc for about 8 years. It's coming along great and I think it'll be great for a Ravenloft engine :). Just saying.
Right on bro! That is pretty awesome. I'll take a look around the forums and check things out. Good luck!
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, harkens the night and silences the light"
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

hehe, this forum got me looking for a horror game to play while i patiently wait for the next silent hill game to come out. Stumbled across alan wake. Anyone played it before?

Also another newbie ike me! woo!

NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Heard a very supportive review of it on Totally Rad Show podcast a few months back. Tempted to try it some day.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

It was pretty good, and definately not what i was expecting. I don't think it's a "horror" game, or at least i don't think they were really shooting for that. Seems more a mystery game where your not 100% sure what's going on.

As said in the beginning of the game "The thing you remember about the story is what you can't explain at the end." (something similiar to that)

Spazalin
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Spazalin »

Hi everyone,

New to this site, but old hat to D&D. I've been playing for about 17 years, all of it in AD&D 2E. I started in a generic world but quickly gravitated to Ravenloft for reasons that I'm sure everyone here can understand. I've spent the bulk of my gaming career in RL, aside from a few dalliances with other campaign settings, and our group just recently started a new campaign in RL (which they are looking forward to, since neither of them has played RL in over a decade).

I've spent quite a bit of time lurking here and found the site to be a fantastic resource for new ideas. Look forward to more lurking, and perhaps some contributions of my own.
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Welcome welcome into the mists! So, you still playing Ravenloft 2nd ED or did you migrate it to the 3ED system with the Arthaus stuff?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Bienvenue to the mists.

A 2e player? Cool, you'll find many people here plays different editions and systems, as well as 3.5 and 4e.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Spazalin
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Spazalin »

Yes, we still run standard 2E games (lots of house rules), though I do pilfer from the later editions. It was general consensus among the players to stay in 2E - partly because they preferred the system and partly, I suspect, because of familiarity.

Still, I try to keep up with later editions, mostly for timelines and current events/NPC development (i.e the info from the gazetteers). I'm not familiar with many of the other systems, though I plan to look into them when I have the time (mostly so I know what people are talking about when they bring them up).
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Welcome Spazalin! Love the username! :azalin:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Spazalin
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Spazalin »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Welcome Spazalin! Love the username! :azalin:
Thanks! The username was a toss up between 'Spazalin' and 'Spazlan'....a tough call, I know....
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Why not Spazlik? :lol:
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Spazalin
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Spazalin »

Manofevil wrote:Why not Spazlik? :lol:

I didn't get that far.