New to Ravenloft? Or new to our forum? introduce yourself!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Galeros
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: New to the Forum? introduce yourself here!

Post by Galeros »

Hello everyone.

I am a fairly new Ravenloft fan. I just got into the setting about midway through this year. I got into the setting by way of Dragonlance and Lord Soth's time in Ravenloft.
Lariseth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lariseth »

Hi to everybody. My name is Carol and I'm a huge Ravenloft lover. My first approach to RL setting was awful because the master storytelling skills realy sucked but, then few years later... I met a really good... No, the BEST Ravenloft storyteller in the world and he makes me love the setting as no one else.

Then I started my own groups and I discovered my passion for horror roleplaying games like Call of Cthulhu and WoD, but Ravenloft is the number one in my heart. So I was wandering through the Mist... *errr* no... from pages like Kargatanes and other less known until I met Rafe and he told me about this one. (Yeah, you could blame him for bring me here)

I always played as an Anchorite of Ezra (lawful good) so... that's it. I found you and I'm so glad to be here. Don't wanna bother you with stories about old parties and that.

Lot of kisses!
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Oh my goodness look what I found WAY WAY WAY too late! I just wrote a blog post discussing how something in Ravenloft affected something that influenced a concept behind a World Setting that's the foundation for some comics and books and the like I'll be releasing very soon! During some research, I discovered that at one point a Van Richten Guide of the Mists was released for free in 2005 (or 2006) due to the licensing deal ending between Sword & Sorcery and Wizards of the Coast. I wanted to search for the book and discovered Sword & Sorcery no longer exists. Then I found THIS awesome site with SO MUCH STUFF!

Man it's gonna take me a while to dig back in to this additional lore.

Introduction: My name is Nuno Teixeira, I'm an artist and writer. I've spent the last decade doing coding and web media development, but have given that up to get back into creative stuff (book publishing). I recall in the early days of the internet spending my university breaks in the computer lab devouring the Secrets of the Kargatane content and netbooks. I even contributed art to some of the releases. In the last 5 years I managed to become good friends with John Dollar (artist to some of the last Ravenloft books), and we've struck up a pretty good relationship.

You can see how much Ravenloft has influenced my in the 90s if you want to go to my site http://www.xeibooks.com. I don't wanna be spammy up front, and trust me that's not my intent for being here! I'm just so excited that there's still a community of Ravenloft fans out in the world!!!

I'm not even sure where to start in here!!! WOOOOO!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Welcome to the boards.

And an interesting site that you got there. I'll have to look into World of Hellmouth some more soon. I like the WoH short comics very much. IMO you should start a new thread introducing the comics/WoH. Perhaps in the fan fiction subforum? There are already a few comic threads there...

So you've adapted the Taint rules from UA to your world. Are you aware that they are a bit different than the 2E/3E Dark Powers Check rules ?

Also check out Nathan's Unified Power Check Theory for a great variant of the Power Check rules. It explains nicely why most Darklords have not progressed through the stages of corruption but rather have made a jump to the last stage, and also why not all evil people gradually become darklords, as progressing from one stage to another gets harder and harder.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

NunoXEI wrote:I'm just so excited that there's still a community of Ravenloft fans out in the world!!!!
We've been "outed"! :)

Welcome, Nuno! Were you able to find the VR Mists Guide?
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Welcome Nuno! wow, a Ravenloft fan, and a Wild Cards fan, eh? Maybe you and I need to whip up a domain with The Astronomer as a darklord. :lucas: <-- Harkon Lukas standing in for Dr. Tachyon
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Thanks for checking out my stuff :). My main concern about getting into a new forum is setting up the impression I joined to spam my goods, haha. It's the lead reason why I tend to feel self-conscious even signing up to most. I just lurk them!

But here... HERE... RAVENLOFT! Geez, I couldn't resist! It's just affected so much about how I write and think and develop concepts into stories, etc. I've gotta imagine these are simply the kind of people that are "kin" on some level. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's just the notion that these people have such a niche interest similar to your own that you HAVE to feel comfortable amongst them right from the get go.

Great suggestions you gave. The integration of Taint rules into World of Hellmouth are more in concept then mechanics (as it was never actually made into an RPG). It's just the framework I use to tell stories in. Major influences are Ravenloft and Planescape and anyone who remembers either with know the concept that stuck around in my head most. I've always loved the Power Checks and if the rules were Open Game Content, and WoH ever became a game, I'd be extremely tempted to consider an integration of them into the world.

Good idea about posting to the fanfic section concerning WoH... like I said, just intimidated right now to link-drop haha. Hopefully, people will key in to the fact I'm just a dude looking to key into similar individuals. How else can you be inspired in the world lest you surround yourself by people who encourage inspiration, right?

Also, I'll check out that Power Check article! Conceptually, it seems like it'll be a very rewarding read! Thanks again for the welcomes!
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Catman Jim wrote:
NunoXEI wrote:I'm just so excited that there's still a community of Ravenloft fans out in the world!!!!
We've been "outed"! :)

Welcome, Nuno! Were you able to find the VR Mists Guide?
I did indead find them, and instead of going to bed I was up until 3am again drooling. Thanks you guys!
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Welcome Nuno! wow, a Ravenloft fan, and a Wild Cards fan, eh? Maybe you and I need to whip up a domain with The Astronomer as a darklord. :lucas: <-- Harkon Lukas standing in for Dr. Tachyon
Don't you DARE ruin anything for me about Wild Cards! haha

I just managed to vulture the entire run from an Ebay seller a few months back and can finally fulfill the TWENTY YEAR wait to read Volume 2 HAHAHA! Kinda frightening that much time has passed and the series never left me!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

NunoXEI wrote:Don't you DARE ruin anything for me about Wild Cards! haha

I just managed to vulture the entire run from an Ebay seller a few months back and can finally fulfill the TWENTY YEAR wait to read Volume 2 HAHAHA! Kinda frightening that much time has passed and the series never left me!
:) Wouldn't dream of it. Enjoy!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ruse
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ruse »

-peeks in-

Hello all!

I'm halfway through a user-created module for Neverwinter Nights 2. It's amazing. It's also based on the Ravenloft setting, and has been my first introduction to it. I...want more. :oops:

I've never done PnP RP with dice and all. I'm not even very good at building characters in the DnD universe, nor do I know a ton about it. I -have- done freeform roleplay on forums (IE, there was no set setting/rules/skillchecks etc. we just kind of had to play fair with each other), so I'm no stranger to that at least.

I'm -especially- interested in the Masque of the Red Death subsection (I googled! lol). I love Poe, and I like the idea of it being set on a darker, more magical Earth. Any chance there's room (and patience) for a total noob to get in on a campaign in the near future? I've skimmed the boards so far, but there's a lot going on. :)

Cheers!
--Ruse

EDIT: The module is called Misery Stone, and the site for it is here. If you own NWN2 I highly suggest checking this out.
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Welcome! I also recall playing the Ravenloft module for Neverwinter Nights ONE :). It was Castle Strahd converted and was very well done all around. I purchased the box set two or three years ago and always meant to get back into NWN but I just can't get by the menu system anymore to activate actions. After "action bars" being ingrained in my head from World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Age of Conan, etc... I just can't deal with radial style... nor with the old D&D rules haha!

One day I'll try it again when the MMO imprint fades a little!

Masque of the Red Death was a great box set. I ran a game for a year or so. I wish I had more time back then to run it longer. I was tempted to use d20 Modern (OGL Horror book even) to put it back together. Those where good times!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Well I would say that it's good to be here, but I'm sure you get a bunch of Lurkers/people who stay for a small amount of time and leave. Trust me I know the feeling from my Star Wars site I've been helping run. Anyways thought I'd introduce myself and we'll see how far my stay here lasts. So, lets start with how I found this place. :P

I play DnD >.> surprise I know right? A nerd like me in a place like this? ZOMG NO WAIZ!?!?!?!? Got probably 10+ players that fluxes from 6-10 every weekend. A large group for Dnd and very chaotic anyways the man that got us onto this is my friends dad who told his son one summer to get a group of friends together and he'd DM. (he's an old one who still has his original case that DnD came out. Those dice look beaten up xD) I recently managed to snag the original module of Ravenloft from him and played my group through it. Or most of them through. Only took like 3 days and probably 24+ hours for them to get through it, but they had fun.

So I've been searching the web on how to make Ravenloft a better experience because as a newbie to Ravenloft myself I don't think the horror factor really comes into play as much as it should. Obviously the Ravenloft Module from ADnD isn't fully geared to horror.

I'm also a fan of a Gaming series called Silent Hill, don't know if you guys have heard of that one but that might give you an idea why I like the idea of Ravenloft so much. (Gotten Some of Ravenloft material to read from but I like reading what other people have done and borrowing or tailoring it to my own) So google has lead me to you guys. Whether that's a good thing or my innocence is about to be lost is another question. :P (As if innocence really existed)

Guess i'll start my rapid looking over the forum. And if I remember this place tomorrow we'll go from there. :D Hope I stay for an extended Period. Hopefully the Board is somewhat active as well, looking through it I think I see a good amount of activity.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
NunoXEI
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by NunoXEI »

Silent Hill the video game series? Or is there an RPG based on the property nowadays?! I played Silent Hill one and won't play any more :) hahaha. My joy factor of feeling creeping terror was annihilated with that game!

If you wanna find cool Ravenloft content online, go to The Secrets of the Kargatane website. That site was around in the 90s and was my happy place for awesome fan content that was at par with the pro stuff. Those guys went on to Arthaus after TSR was purchased by Wizards, the d20 movement started, and Arthaus got the rights to Ravenloft.

I grabbed all the stuff on this site too and can't wait to print it and dig in. I'm sure it'll bring back good ol' memories.

Good luck finding cool inspiration--I'm sure you'll find tons of it here!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Thanks i'm sure I will. Silent hill 1 I've yet to play but my favorite out of them all is still currently Silent Hill 2. Definately worth the money if you come across a copy and still own a PS2 like me. XD

Thanks for the tip, i'm going to have to go searching for it sometime later today.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Welcome, welcome! We hope you stay too. Just remember, the Mists don't let you leave easily. :azalin: