Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

I wish you all the luck selling those. They are truly inspired pieces!

Have a safe and fun trip to DragonCon. Out of curiosity, how different is GenCon from DragonCon? I know the badges are more expensive...
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Talon wrote: I'd like to keep the entire set together, if possible. Would anyone here be interested? If so, send me a private message and we can talk price.
Congrats, Talon! you've found a way to make a Ravenloft collectible worth more than the actual printed Tarrokka deck! :shock: :lol:

I'd dearly love to buy that, but couldn't offer nearly enough dough to give you what that prize is worth. I hope someone out there gives it a happy home. (and maybe does a Tarrokka-reading in-game with it. How cool would that be?)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Guardian of Twilight wrote:Have a safe and fun trip to DragonCon. Out of curiosity, how different is GenCon from DragonCon? I know the badges are more expensive...
Very different. GenCon is a gaming convention. DragonCon is a SF/Fantasy convention. Naturally there's some overlap, but the focus is different. (there's cosplay and panels and signings and such at GenCon, and there's gaming at DragonCon, but not as much as vice versa). This is based purely on my single visits to each. Both are a lot of fun, but in different ways.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Guardian of Twilight wrote:Have a safe and fun trip to DragonCon. Out of curiosity, how different is GenCon from DragonCon? I know the badges are more expensive...
Very different. GenCon is a gaming convention. DragonCon is a SF/Fantasy convention. Naturally there's some overlap, but the focus is different. (there's cosplay and panels and signings and such at GenCon, and there's gaming at DragonCon, but not as much as vice versa). This is based purely on my single visits to each. Both are a lot of fun, but in different ways.
Thank you for letting me know. Perhaps one day I can see DragonCon in person. My best friend and his family have gone to DragonCon in the past, and loved it.

If I ever run a Ravenloft game at GenCon in the future, I hope you guys know that you're all invited. Especially you, Talon. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

DragonCon is a very different experience than GenCon. GenCon is entirely game-focused, while DC has a little something for everyone. There's gaming, but it's a very small niche of the show at this point (it used to be bigger, but the con has moved in a different direction). GenCon orbits around the dealer's room and is all in a single facility which makes it easy to go from event to event and walk the Dealer's Room between games. DC is spread out over five hotels and a convention center in downtown Atlanta, and no particular area dominates. There's fandom tracks in one hotel, gaming in another, an art show, a comic book artist alley, a walk of fame, celebrity panels, lots and lots of cosplay, and, of course, the world-famous DragonCon parade. And then there's the parties. DragonCon has become known, in recent years as "PartyCon." When the show shuts down at 6:00 PM, the Slave Leias come out and hotel parties begin. I've never attended one (I go home at night and sleep in my own bed), but they run throughout the night and can get rather... Spirited, as I understand it.

What you won't see at DragonCon is any major corporate representation, which some people consider a plus. Not a single major game publisher, comic book company, or Hollywood studio makes an appearance at DC. They used to... WOtC used to have the largest booth in the Dealer's Room back in the 90's, and guys like Jim Lee used to show up at the DC Comics booth, but as the show shifted towards "PartyCon," these companies abandoned DC. So while the dealer's room is great, it's all independent sellers and micro-press publishers now. The largest game company to make an appearance at DC in a few years has been Margaret Weis Productions. I personally think that's a shame. I mean, with so many Hollywood productions, from The Walking Dead to every Marvel movie being filmed in Atlanta now, DragonCon could be primed to become the East Coast ComicCon, but the limited hotel venue and reputation as a giant, 4-day, drunken cosplay orgy means that will never happen. And most DragonCon-goers are okay with that.

Regardless, it's a TON of fun. I've been to every one since 1994 (except for 1997, when I was out of the country at the time) in one capacity or another, and still love it. It's really pretty awesome. Like San Diego, I think every geek and nerd should make a pilgrimage to DragonCon at least once in their life.
Last edited by Talon on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the mind of Talon Dunning
http://www.talonart.com - http://www.arcane-marks.com
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I'd dearly love to buy that, but couldn't offer nearly enough dough to give you what that prize is worth. I hope someone out there gives it a happy home. (and maybe does a Tarrokka-reading in-game with it. How cool would that be?)
They're three to a page, so you'd have to cut them out to use them as a [ridiculously large] deck. I've considered doing that, actually, and would do so upon request from a buyer, but I figured it's better to leave them as they are until asked, since once cut out, I can't reassemble them. I'll also consider selling them separately, but I'd like to see if there's a market for the whole set, first. I think they're more valuable together.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thank you, Talon. Maybe one day I'll be able to make it to DragonCon, who knows? Sounds like a good time for everyone, really.
-Mordentish proverb
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Wow the originals are THAT BIG?!?!?!?

Would love to but probably not financial position enough to buy them. O.O' Would love to see pictures if anyone does buy it.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Zilfer wrote:Wow the originals are THAT BIG?!?!?!?
The paper is 14x17. The art is significantly smaller, but likely two to three times bigger than the final print size. That's not unusual. You almost always want to work bigger than the final print size.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Talon wrote:
Zilfer wrote:Wow the originals are THAT BIG?!?!?!?
The paper is 14x17. The art is significantly smaller, but likely two to three times bigger than the final print size. That's not unusual. You almost always want to work bigger than the final print size.
Lol when i was telling my girlfriend she was saying the exact same thing about the drawing bigger than the finish. And easier to get details in bigger sizes rather than trying to fit it in small.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I just purchased a new computer so I'm in no shape to buy anything. I wish you luck selling those. I know some of the painted Ravenloft covers went for large sums of money, so there are wealthy collectors out there.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

from this facebook post

It's Ron's group as commissioned.
Talon Dunnong on fb wrote:Ravenloft Heroes (PC Portraits)
Brushed graphite on bristol
GenCon 2016

This was my first commission from GenCon 2016, but I chose to take it home due to its complicated nature. From left to right, the characters are Ludouvis (half-Vistani necromancer/Stygian Attendant) (and the ghost who haunts him, Manfred Taige), Kerri Storer (human bard/herbalist), Leif Shadowlands (human ranger/Knight of the Shadows), Surinam Hestmand (Oracle/True Innocent), and Merdufoni "Duffy" Carpatello (human Gunslinger/Sanctified Rogue). In case you were wondering. Not pictured: Kukri the Wolf (Leif's animal companion).
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

heh... you beat me to it. Thanks Giamarga... and yes, I'm very pleased. THANK YOU TALON!

ETA: For the record, it's "Ludovic" and "Suriana" but whatever you call them, it's a dream come true.
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Sorry. Even the best handwriting sometimes leaves one guessing. ;-) I'm glad you liked the piece! Thanks again for the commission.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Talon wrote:Sorry. Even the best handwriting sometimes leaves one guessing. ;-)
No problem. And mine is far from the best. ;)