Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Post by Catman Jim »

It has come across the old Ravenloft Mailing List that there is a booklet being published soon called "Out of the Mists: The Ravenloft Art of Talon Dunning". A preview is available for download here:

http://www.arcane-marks.com/store.html
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Higginz
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Post by Higginz »

Thanks for the link. Very nice. :)
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

According to the website, it seems that it would be a pdf release, doesn't it? I would love to purchase a print copy of the book. Talon Dunning was a fantastic addition to the proud list of artists that worked for Ravenloft.
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Dimitri Mazieres wrote:According to the website, it seems that it would be a pdf release, doesn't it? I would love to purchase a print copy of the book. Talon Dunning was a fantastic addition to the proud list of artists that worked for Ravenloft.
I read it as:
"$15.00* (Printed Book)
$20 includes original sketch inside"
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Probably plus shipping. But I so wants. $20 (USD) is a small price. I adore Talon's artwork.
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

Catman Jim wrote: I read it as:
"$15.00* (Printed Book)
$20 includes original sketch inside"
D'oh! :roll: Oh, well... Seems that I should pay more attention to the small script (or get a new pair of glasses).

I guess now it's just a matter of waiting for it to be available. And I agree that $20 is a great deal for an original Talon Dunning sketch (plus art book :P)
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Thank you for posting such a wonderful link! I'll have to see about ordering this! He's my favorite artist these days. :D
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Talon Dunning's great. His style is always clear and the lines in his drawings are clean.

I recall Mark Nelson III did some Ravenloft stuff for 2.5 ed, post-RedBox. That seemed to be similar to Talon, but where Talon seems to color entirely in dark on light, Nelson seemed to start off on a gray background and then use dark and light inks for his effects.

Stephen Fabian's work for me has always been the first "face" of Ravenloft, but some of his style seems almost cartoony. He did great art in Van Richten's Guide to Vampires, where his art form favors the fleshy types of undead. But his work for the Guide to the Lich was less of a hit - the liches seemed faintly like waxen caricatures.

Finally, I recall there was an artist who did work for Carnival and a few other products - Kevin McCann. His artwork struck me as very detailed, but I always had the nagging feeling that it had been done in color first and then translated to black and white. It had that implication of some sort of lost detail of color.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Stephen Fabian seemed almost congentially incapable of drawing things that were either dessicated or really gnarled in texture (his version of the Sisters Mindefisk made Lavida look kind of like a melting wax statue). For the romantic side of Gothic, though, he was terrific.

Kevin McCann went almost too far the other way-- his artwork was just full of texture, which looked great on golems.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

The book is now available for order.

Did order mine, with sketch&autograph.

Shipping fee is OK (4$ to Canada).

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

For your info, Talon told me that the books will include original sketches, drawn as orders get in. At this stage he isn't sure if it will be inside a blank area of the book, or on a paper put inside the book.

What's cool is that it will most probably be a headshot of a RL character!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Ordered.

AMAZING.

A board game. An art book. Next year, TWO gaming supplements.

Good times to follow RL.

:lucas:
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

Holy cow! Just saw that thread and buy it.
Joël of the FoS

Wow, and shipping is quick, just got a notice from Talon that it was given to UPS.

Joël
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Wow, and shipping is quick, just got a notice from Talon that it was given to UPS.

Joël
I received the same notice; sweet!

Now if I could only get the boardgame, my local shop will not be getting that for 2 more weeks.