Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ultramyth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Ravenloft Artbook of Talon Dunning

Post by Ultramyth »

Is a pdf version of Out of the Mists available somewhere? A printed book would be good, but I would settle for a pdf. None of the links on Fantastic Gallery mention it at all.
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Ultramyth wrote:Is a pdf version of Out of the Mists available somewhere? A printed book would be good, but I would settle for a pdf. None of the links on Fantastic Gallery mention it at all.
No, I'm sorry there's not a PDF version. My sketchbooks are print only.
From the mind of Talon Dunning
http://www.talonart.com - http://www.arcane-marks.com
Ultramyth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Ultramyth »

Oh, well, I had better hope you decide to release a POD version. Your artwork made 3.x of Ravenloft interesting. It is a shame they couldn't get you to fully illustrate everything in them...
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Ultramyth wrote:Oh, well, I had better hope you decide to release a POD version. Your artwork made 3.x of Ravenloft interesting. It is a shame they couldn't get you to fully illustrate everything in them...
You mean do every illustration? It rarely works that way. You generally want a book with a bit of artistic diversity for a more complete vision. Also, scheduling works better if you have several artists working simultaneously rather than one guy doing one drawing at a time. Still, I appreciate the sentiment. It's possible that the book will go into production as a POD book on DriveThruComics one day (apparently the comics section of DriveThru is where sketchbooks go), but it won't be sold with a sketch card as each will come directly from the printer. I have a lot on my plate these days, so I don't know when or if I'll ever get around to setting that up. I do have all four of my other sketchbooks available though, and am hoping to put together a hardcover art book for next year (my 20th year as a professional game illustrator).
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Please be sure and let me know when the hardcover might be coming out. I'll definitely be interested in picking up a copy!

Out of curiosity, have you ever sketched a map for Ravenloft campaigns, and if so, could you share one with us? I would wager that many here would like to see it if so, and if you would be so kind. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:Please be sure and let me know when the hardcover might be coming out. I'll definitely be interested in picking up a copy!

Out of curiosity, have you ever sketched a map for Ravenloft campaigns, and if so, could you share one with us? I would wager that many here would like to see it if so, and if you would be so kind. :)
Sorry, no maps. I haven't run a lot of raven loft games and the ones I have run have either been modules or didn't require maps. I actually haven't done a lot of cartography, although I did recently design a cool Calistrian cathedral/brothel for a Pathfinder game.
Ultramyth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Ultramyth »

Talon wrote:
Ultramyth wrote:Oh, well, I had better hope you decide to release a POD version. Your artwork made 3.x of Ravenloft interesting. It is a shame they couldn't get you to fully illustrate everything in them...
You mean do every illustration? It rarely works that way. You generally want a book with a bit of artistic diversity for a more complete vision. Also, scheduling works better if you have several artists working simultaneously rather than one guy doing one drawing at a time. Still, I appreciate the sentiment. It's possible that the book will go into production as a POD book on DriveThruComics one day (apparently the comics section of DriveThru is where sketchbooks go), but it won't be sold with a sketch card as each will come directly from the printer. I have a lot on my plate these days, so I don't know when or if I'll ever get around to setting that up. I do have all four of my other sketchbooks available though, and am hoping to put together a hardcover art book for next year (my 20th year as a professional game illustrator).
Oh, I've self-published before back in the mid naughties, including doing all my own illustrations, which inevitably lead to rushed and poorer quality work (140-odd pages is quite a bit). So I know the practicality of it is not optimal. However, how to put it - your artwork was of a different calibre to the rest presented in the 3.x Ravenloft line, and although it is only my opinion, it was of much better quality. For me, the art in RPG books is responsible for capturing the mood, and inspiring me as a gamer to create and participate in stories. The Ravenloft line (especially when it was being administered by White Wolf) was not given enough artistic attention, imho. Although WOD products at the time were of mixed artistic quality, Ravenloft suffered disproportionately. The Denizens of Dread book in particular suffered.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Talon wrote:
Guardian of Twilight wrote:Please be sure and let me know when the hardcover might be coming out. I'll definitely be interested in picking up a copy!

Sorry, no maps. I haven't run a lot of raven loft games and the ones I have run have either been modules or didn't require maps. I actually haven't done a lot of cartography, although I did recently design a cool Calistrian cathedral/brothel for a Pathfinder game.
OK, thank you for letting me know. Should that ever change, I hope you will give us a heads up here!

If I might ask, what was the inspiration for the Knight of the Shadows picture? And while I'm at it, did you use a model for Gennifer and Laurie, or was that something you had in your mind when asked to draw them? Any idea on how long each piece took for you to finish? The questions I think of now that I'm not at GenCon is frustrating! :lol:
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:If I might ask, what was the inspiration for the Knight of the Shadows picture? And while I'm at it, did you use a model for Gennifer and Laurie, or was that something you had in your mind when asked to draw them? Any idea on how long each piece took for you to finish? The questions I think of now that I'm not at GenCon is frustrating! :lol:
The inspiration for that character was the art notes I was given and the description of the class. In other words, I just made him up based on what I read. I didn't have any specific inspiration for him. It's possible I used some historical costuming references, but I don't remember offhand. It was a decade ago...

I don't use models for any of my drawings. The Weatherman twins were, like all my work, made up from my head, based on descriptions I was given of the characters.

I don't recall how long the pieces took to finish. Again, it's been a decade. Probably about 6 hours or so, not including the days it took for the sketches to be approved by the art director.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Talon wrote:
Guardian of Twilight wrote:If I might ask, what was the inspiration for the Knight of the Shadows picture? And while I'm at it, did you use a model for Gennifer and Laurie, or was that something you had in your mind when asked to draw them? Any idea on how long each piece took for you to finish? The questions I think of now that I'm not at GenCon is frustrating! :lol:
The inspiration for that character was the art notes I was given and the description of the class. In other words, I just made him up based on what I read. I didn't have any specific inspiration for him. It's possible I used some historical costuming references, but I don't remember offhand. It was a decade ago...

I don't use models for any of my drawings. The Weatherman twins were, like all my work, made up from my head, based on descriptions I was given of the characters.

I don't recall how long the pieces took to finish. Again, it's been a decade. Probably about 6 hours or so, not including the days it took for the sketches to be approved by the art director.
That's very impressive! Thank you for letting me know. It was a question I was asked by my fiancée's oldest daughter that is the art major I spoke of, if you remember speaking with me about it. I'm sure others will ask those questions and more as people see them. I actually just got them framed last night, and I'm deciding on which wall to hang them. Purchasing those was an honor, especially the Knight of the Shadows piece. Like I said before, he was the inspiration for Nathan Hawke from Mordentshire and remains one of my favorite characters of all time.
-Mordentish proverb
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

I tend to picture the Weathermay twins as resembling actor Madchen Amick, but as I recall I did not include that "headcanon" detail in the description and fashion sketch I sent to the developers. I'm doublechecking the sketch (posted 5 years ago in this thread, if you want to see it) and, yeah, the only physical traits I specifically call out are hair/eye color and Gennifer's hairstyle.
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:Purchasing those was an honor, especially the Knight of the Shadows piece. Like I said before, he was the inspiration for Nathan Hawke from Mordentshire and remains one of my favorite characters of all time.
Well, I certainly appreciate your patronage and am glad those pieces have found a good home. :-)
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

One of my few regrets from GenCon 2014 was not having enough cash for a Talon sketch/art piece. I'm happy someone here got those pieces, even if I couldn't.

Maybe next time I go in 2017...
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:One of my few regrets from GenCon 2014 was not having enough cash for a Talon sketch/art piece. I'm happy someone here got those pieces, even if I couldn't.

Maybe next time I go in 2017...
I was super excited to pick them up, believe me. I wish I'd had just a bit more cash to pick up another picture, but maybe next year, if the Fates are kind. :)

I've never spent so much money in one place so far, so fast! The Exhibit Hall is an evil and exciting place. It's like Disneyland, I swear! :D
-Mordentish proverb
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

Hey folks. Remember the Tarokka? Well, I still have the original art for the entire deck... all 72 (I think it was) illustrations... And I'd like to sell them. They're done in ink (the only of my Ravenloft art done in that medium), three to a page, on 14" x 17" bristol board. Some have small sketches around them where I was working out details. I've never brought these to a convention due to their size, so they've never been offered for sale before. I'd like to keep the entire set together, if possible. Would anyone here be interested? If so, send me a private message and we can talk price.

Also, if anyone is coming to Atlanta for DragonCon next week, make sure to stop by my table and say hi! I'll be in the Exhibitor's Hall this year, on the first floor of the AmericasMart, somewhere in the first row next to the entrance. I'm with Ruth Thompson's group again, so I'm not listed on the site or in the program, but I will be there! I won't have any Ravenloft sketchbook (they're still sold out), but I will have awesome D&D Classic Classes t-shirts and lots of original Ravenloft art! See you there!

-Talon