Personal Canon

Discussing all things Ravenloft
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Personal Canon

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Hamiclar wrote:The dark part of the faith which is lead by a character similar to the priest in Poltergeist 2
Thank you for bringing up something that still creeps me out to this day. That movie is one reason I'm declaring my apostasy of the LDS Church (there are other, more serious reasons why). Seeing a group of otherwise intelligent people follow Kane into a fate worse than death resonated strongly in me as a child. Plus that scene in the Other Side where Kane's followers form a pillar of limbs and faces...

Off topic, but apparently they're remaking the first movie with a release next year. Hopefully they escape the curse that haunted the trilogy (like poor Heather O'Rourke's death).
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hamiclar »

No problem on that he creeped me out when I was younger too. The faith can be twist especially to who use for their own personal control. In ravenloft the pole thing can so happen. The priestess in my party is going to walk into the church as their singing the scary god tune. I trying to locate a sound clip of it. The character may evolve into a boogie man along with Sandy Claws which a north pole elf from earth is hunting.

Arak im changing now that the guide of fey came out. I place the zelldrow at the top in that they are outcasts for worshipping Lloth. The unseelie courts are also deeper in the ground. The fey have spread into Tepest after its arrival and have been ran into and been corrupted by the fey that reside there.

Has anyone changed anything with Wizard schools? The one I know before the GC would be in Darkon and possibly Kartakass.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

My canon (among others):

- Darklords can go in and out of their domain, but have "lair/legendary" abilities whenever they're in their domain/stronghold.

- Domains are permanently masqued to other worlds, usually to those where they came from.

- Most non-humans are "faerie folk." Drow are the primary inhabitants of Arak, which still exists and encompasses Keening.

- Strahd can easily transform into a woman if Tatyana's next reincarnation is a man (and it's happened more than once before).

- Vistani follow 4E rules (any race), but only the women can scry and navigate the Mists without error.

- Prime Minister Brian Mulroney is a Dark Power.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:My canon (among others):
- Prime Minister Brian Mulroney is a Dark Power.
I hate to ask (but now that I searched the Forum and Mistapedia I don't feel so bad asking), but who is Brian Mulroney?
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Terminusvitae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Terminusvitae »

One thing I've always done, but never realized until this campaign, is a minor change that can have a major effect: the fractious sects of Ezra don't actually have to answer to the Praesidius. I've always thought it was strange that some of the fluff said they operated under the auspices of the Home Faith, but if that were the case, they'd be less "breakaway churches with their own ideals and morality" and more "outreach programs of the Home Faith," in my mind. Now that I recognize that I've been doing this, I plan for it to figure prominently in the next session during a tense annual summit of the Bastions in Levkarest...
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Dark Angel wrote:I hate to ask (but now that I searched the Forum and Mistapedia I don't feel so bad asking), but who is Brian Mulroney?
I give you the face of the Dark Powers
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

NeoTiamat wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:I hate to ask (but now that I searched the Forum and Mistapedia I don't feel so bad asking), but who is Brian Mulroney?
PM Mulroney is the face of the Dark Powers?!? I didn't remember his first name and never even made the connection when Dion made the comment about the 'Prime Minster' as I thought he was referring to something in game. I don't remember him being so vilified (unless there is some level of irony I am missing). I guess next time I will check the Forum, Mistipedia, and then Wikipedia before I inquire. Thanks, NeoTiamat!
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Dark Angel wrote:
NeoTiamat wrote:
PM Mulroney is the face of the Dark Powers?!? I didn't remember his first name and never even made the connection when Dion made the comment about the 'Prime Minster' as I thought he was referring to something in game. I don't remember him being so vilified (unless there is some level of irony I am missing). I guess next time I will check the Forum, Mistipedia, and then Wikipedia before I inquire. Thanks, NeoTiamat!
I think the last line of Dion's list was a joke (I guess :?: ). It all made sense until this point.

Don't forget Dion's dark sense of humor ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Ah, Serene Dion... Beneath his calm exterior lurks a madness that will track you down and find you: near, far, wherever you are.

In my campaign, Vigo is fairly active and is trying to devour the demon essences of all the other children of the Interloper. One of my PCS is his (quasi?) sister and there is suspicion that she may be carrying his child.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

HuManBing wrote:Ah, Serene Dion... Beneath his calm exterior lurks a madness that will track you down and find you: near, far, wherever you are.
So the fact that the entire molten core of a planet shouldn't offer me the solace it should? That's not good...

And was that a Celine Dion pun?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

HuManBing wrote:Ah, Serene Dion... Beneath his calm exterior lurks a madness that will track you down and find you: near, far, wherever you are.
:shock: :lol: *slow clap*
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

And THAT'S the way it i-is.

HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

HuManBing wrote:Ah, Serene Dion.
Oh, crap, I meant to say "Celine Dion" but I lapsed into momentary Cantonese and my Ls and Rs got mixed up. :(
HuManBing wrote:In my campaign, Vigo is fairly active and is trying to devour the demon essences of all the other children of the Interloper. One of my PCS is his (quasi?) sister and there is suspicion that she may be carrying his child.
Just to add on to this, I'm coming up with a list of "miniboss" style fights with the other children of Incubus. The overarching theme is that the demonspawn bloodline allows consumption of powers from those you kill, so each person has some degree of power-stealing:
  • a Vistani outcast who carries shadow darts, which can be thrown through material objects (this is the only one who actually hunts down the PC and tries to cut her soulkeep out of her chest)
  • a sickly eater of emotions ("dolorophage"), inspired by Kornbluth's Mindworm and Red Dwarf's Polymorph
  • a socialite red widow seductress who turns her lovers to ash after sapping them of their precious bodily fluids (the player is a lesbian redhead in real life so I suspect this will be right up her alley)
  • a genetic doppelganger, working under a number of female aliases in an upmarket brothel, who collects the genomes of many different customers and uses them to give it cover identities
  • the Queen of Milk and Honey, an infected bride whose honeycombed bulk produces both, and who controls the stinging swarm
  • Vigo, the Devourer, chief among the children of the Incubus, who sends the PC to kill all the rest and hopes to harvest their collective powers from her directly.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Jackqueline Renier is gathering together either through bribery, calling in favors, or outright blackmail a group of foreign adventurers who she plans to task with being her son's bodyguard on the inevitable "Night of the Long Fangs" that is going to take place when she dies (either of natural causes or assassination) when her sister will try and murder and or suborn everyone who supports Jacques' right to take control of the family and Richemulot (especially Jacques himself) after his mother dies.

If they fail Louise will like her sister become both Darklord and political ruler of Richemulot but be cursed to watch the nation slowly begin to slide into an urban version of Verbrek as wererat population starts to outpace the humans they wish to feed on. If they succeed Louise will still have inherited Darklordship (as the most evil person in the domain) but be forced into the sewers to conduct a wererat civil war and cursed never again to enjoy the luxuriant lifestyle and social respect that she so desperately craved.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

This is a bit of headcanon built on to someone else's fanon: in Quoth the Raven #3's "The Price of Admission" by Joseph Zettelmaier, it implies that Professor Arcanus may eventually join the Carnival himself. For some reason, I thought it would be interesting if the Rose turned out to be the Vistani woman he raped years ago... and the Imp is his son.