QtR29 - submissions open (it's a secret!)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

QtR29 - submissions open (it's a secret!)

Post by Joël of the FoS »

A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept.” (Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind)

The Fraternity of Shadows is now accepting submissions for the 29th installment of Quoth the Raven, our annual Ravenloft netbook line that will soon be lasting longer than a lich's life. The theme for the 2022 issue will be Secrets.

Because our neverending search for knowledge always brings secrets to light, we need to expose these secrets and make them known to the Fraternity (and then use these secrets to our advantage, of course). Almost everyone has something to hide. The very fact that someone is trying to keep secrets at bay may give us a weapon against them. But we have to be careful: being within those few in the know is sometimes a double-edged sword, making us targets for other people who do not wish these secrets to be found. Be careful!

We need to know more about secret societies, dread possibilities / dark secrets, family secrets, new secret locations, secret conspiracies, etc.

"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead." (Franklin)

As always, we are looking for anything related to Ravenloft, Masque of the Red Death, or horror in general. The theme is deliberately open ended, but still a suggestion, not a restriction. If you have something great that doesn't fit in with the theme, send it in anyway!

Ruleset doesn't matter! We accept articles using any edition of D&D rules, or even other systems. Some of the best articles don't have any rules text at all! And if you're interested in having your rules converted to another system, let us know. There are lots of volunteers eager to help.

See our submission guidelines for official rules.

Submit your articles to QTR@fraternityofshadows.com. The deadline is September 30th, 2022, but feel free to send your articles in early, especially if you're looking for feedback.

"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: QtR29 - submissions open (it's a secret!)

Post by tomokaicho »

I have at least one submission this year. It's something I've been working on for a long time, and it's finally approaching completion. It just needs some statblocks. The subject is crunch for alchemical philosophy. I've radically changed my initial approach and I am now satisfied.

Another project is an ecology of the Quevari. I've got the basic framework done, but the prose needs significant polishing. Also there is the project that I have been working on for years now, the dread domain of Kalidnay. It needs more gothic and more horror. Easier said than done, given the genre fusion involved. If I recall correctly, my work on Kalidnay is around 40 pages, and will require another 10 or so to complete.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Yes I remember that you were working on a revision of the alchemical philosopher class. I am looking forward to this :Brain:

I am curious about the Qevari as they have never been used or detailed before. Do they have a specific culture as are the Vistani? Is it possible for a player to play a Quevari character? If yes what happens when the PC turns to "evil Quevari"? :azalin:

As for Kalidnay there is an article on Dungeon Magazine #190 called Eye on Dark Sun: Kalidnay and in the Dark Sun Wiki you can find info about Kalak of Tyr who was the one that had slain slain Kalid-Ma and then ended up trying to repeat the process of ascension, also trying to kill the populace.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:11 am I am curious about the Qevari as they have never been used or detailed before. Do they have a specific culture as are the Vistani? Is it possible for a player to play a Quevari character? If yes what happens when the PC turns to "evil Quevari"? :azalin:
I don't see why not, although being affected by the blood moon means that a Quevari PC is probably for an experienced (and mature) player only. My work on the Quevari is from the subjective point of view of an NPC doing his/her best to deal with the Quevari objectively. Thus, it's not "the truth" about the Quevari, but telling of the experiences of that NPC. I have a VERY rough draft that is about 75% finished. I can send it to you if you would like to have some input and help clear up some stuff which is poorly written.
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:11 amAs for Kalidnay there is an article on Dungeon Magazine #190 called Eye on Dark Sun: Kalidnay and in the Dark Sun Wiki you can find info about Kalak of Tyr who was the one that had slain slain Kalid-Ma and then ended up trying to repeat the process of ascension, also trying to kill the populace.
I am a huge Dark Sun fan and have read that one. In terms of the Dark Sun side of things, it's good to go. The gothic horror needs to be dialed up dramatically. Ditto the offer for this material if you are interested in helping me out a bit.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I will continue with the Falkovnian Ministry of Science inventions or better Secret Weapons of the Ministry of Science, to have a more appropriate name closer to the issues theme. I had already created some right after publishing the Falkovnian article last year.

Then I am planning on detailing some Secret Societies from the QtR#29 wish-list. I am thinking about the Red Vardo Traders, the Order of the Guardians with an origin story from were Radaga and Daglan originated, as suggested by John W. Mangrum I believe. Then a newer look into the Dark Delvers and the IIldi'Thaan and followers of Zhakata the Provider who is more appropriate for a PC class.

Mortigny's watch companies as Lions de La Rue, Soleils Craimoisi and others with a more detailed look into La Serrure et Clé.

I have also written an article on a new magical item from Sri-Raji, maybe attach a bonus take on the Dark Sisters to it.

I am thinking of making an information and secret game mechanic for Richemulot as it has already been mentioned secrets are power in that domain, often political power, upscaling someone from beggar into an aristocrat and perhaps even a wererat meal later on...

Aristocratic families of Nova Vaasa and their secrets probably the reason why they are kept in check by Malken, he is a a kingpin ruling behind the shadows.

One of the Demiplanes (in-world) best held secrets the Children of the Gentleman Caller is something I have been thinking of for a long time and the reason why I wrote that article on Vigo Drakov. We already have a framework of how many they are and how they were conceived, as well as some of them have already appeared in official Ravenloft products (although Chezna the Blood-Cat was mentioned in earlier products as darkling).

Last but not least I am thinking about an article on a common secret, the most lasting pseudo-aristocratic families of Borca as they are mentioned in VRGtR. Andaas (famous for their wine), Boritsi (already mentioned in Legacies of Blood), Dilisnya (already mentioned in Legacies of Blood), Fortich (famous for their wine), (descendants of patriarch Tatsaul Eris buried in Castle Ravenloft), Ivliskova (one of them is a vampire spawn in Castle Ravenloft), Nobriskov (notorious for having a werebat imposter amidst their family), Nuikin (known from their dark adventure in Richemulot and a conflict with someones clone), Octire (new ground, never mentioned before), Olzanik (they have blood ties with Ivan Dilisnya, Baldassarre trains dogs and Roman Olzanikas is an embarrassment to his family), Piechota (who have marital ties with Ivana Boritsi), Pretorius (known for their bad luck), Ritter (based in Sturben), Romaine (a powerful family with a hereditary problem, also thinking of creating a 3e version of Nostalia Romaine and a template for the venom of life) missing from the Ravenloft Gazetteer IV), Septow (famous for their wine) Tatenna (residing in their rebuilt manor after the original was burnt to the ground).
Maybe creating an in-game rule of how to become a Borcan pseudo-aristocrat based on services and fees to the sef or sefeasa.

Adding to that I have also been working on Markovia for the Sea of Sorrows Gazetteer, I am not sure if it will be ready by then since the SoSG is a collective effort but you never know.

Yes I know many different ideas so little time but hopefully I will manage most. People who are thinking of writing about any of the above feel free to do it, I didn't write this list to discourage anybody from writing about those, it is just my wishful thinking of what I plan to create. We already have two canon versions of Ravenloft to follow anyway so we definitely can have more versions of a specific "secret" for DM's to pick what they want.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

tomokaicho wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:39 pm I have a VERY rough draft that is about 75% finished. I can send it to you if you would like to have some input and help clear up some stuff which is poorly written.
tomokaicho wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:39 pm Ditto the offer for this material if you are interested in helping me out a bit.
As stated in the submission release, feel free to send your articles in early, especially if you're looking for feedback. Tomokaicho you can send what you are thinking of submitting to my FoS e-mail mephisto@fraternityofshadows.com

Don't forget to inform me with a private message in this forum when you sent it, so that I can have a look on it, since I don't check that e-mail regularly.

PS
As for the "poorly written" I must inform you that I am not a native english speaker so I 'll do my best :mrgreen:
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I will contribute with three domains and one article (or two domains and two articles, in depends if I manage to work both articles out)
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

I've been writing a domain for a horror genre that hasn't really been utilized in Ravenloft yet, despite having hit peak popularity in the same couple of technicolor decades that Hammer horror was big, and presenting recurring villains with a tendency to return from the dead on a small budget - kaiju.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

I'm thinking of trying my hand at submitting quite a few things for this year, first time I've ever participated in a netzine or fanbook like this before so I'm a little nervous lol. A new take on Bluetspur and the Illithid God-Brain that is somewhat cosmic horror and somewhat space horror, with more locations on Bluetspur's surface and creatures aside from the Illithids (that even prey upon the Illithids) being present. A new backstory for King Crocodile and Gwydion the Sorcerer-Fiend. A possible new write-up on Vecna and Cavitius (with Vecna being more prominent thanks to Stranger Things and the Vecna Dossier released by WotC on DnDBeyond) that may (successfully or not) try and inject a bit more Gothic Horror into what is predominantly Dark Fantasy (at least into Vecna's backstory). A backstory for the Gentleman Caller that draws upon elements of Greyhawk lore and inspired by Pygmalion and his statue. A few locations for the Phantasmal Forest, following the 'pearls in the oil' idea proposed by John W. Mangrum on what Gazetteer X for the Shadowlands would have looked like, and finally, two Children of the Night ideas, based on bringing traditionally high fantasy creatures (Giants and Dragons) into the Demiplane of Dread. Dunno if I'll get around to posting all of these for this year but at least one of them will make it onto here. I look forward to seeing all the other submissions when the QtR comes around!
ArrBeeNayr
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ArrBeeNayr »

Asking for the benefit of a user on r/Ravenloft: What's QtR's policy on content for the NuRavenloft setting of Curse of Strahd and Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft? I would assume that they are valid so long as they are labeled specifically as NuRavenloft or sufficiently cross-compatible with the Prime Ravenloft setting?

I assume the Prime Ravenloft setting is still treated as the default?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

We host all editions. And if not 3e era, we label them as 4th, or 5th ed RL.

There are good ideas in everything :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

If terms like "NuRavenloft" are used in QtR, please explain them. I haven't heard that term till today and honestly, I would prefer something as "New Ravenloft" or "5e Ravenloft" from bastardized words like "Nu".
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:35 am If terms like "NuRavenloft" are used in QtR, please explain them. I haven't heard that term till today and honestly, I would prefer something as "New Ravenloft" or "5e Ravenloft" from bastardized words like "Nu".
First time I hear that too, maybe it is a promotion for a sweetened hazelnut cocoa spread. :mrgreen:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mephisto, you are ruining my old man's "Kids these days! Baaah!" aura.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:54 pm We host all editions. And if not 3e era, we label them as 4th, or 5th ed RL.

There are good ideas in everything :)
I can vouch that there's room for the occasional 2nd edition article too. :D