University confusion

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

University confusion

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I am confused... is the University of Richemulot the same institution as L'Academie de Richemulot placed in Pont-a-Museu (from Gaz III)? and if yes why is there an institution by the same name "Academe d'Richemulot" in Mortigny (from Champions of Darkness) as it is clearly not such a great university per se but more like a school of magic? Is there department of the University of Richemulot (or whatever it is called) in Ste Ronges?
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: University confusion

Post by DustBunny »

I would say no to the U of R and L'Academie being the same thing, as acadamies and universities are different things. Admittably though, the meanings however tend to get interchangeably and even mean different things in different countries.

A university generally the 'cover all' term for a collection of departments. The university is the governing body of the departments (also known as colleges) and the departments can vary wildly in their subjects. So the Uni of Richemoult may have departments of Agriculture, Science, Occult, etc but they are all referred to as 'The University' as they are controlled by the central governing body.

An Academy is usally focused on a single area (such as a military academy, dance academy, etc). While it lacks the cross discpline of a university its tigher focus usually means better instruction in their area of education. The Academy is also its own governing body, and (usually) doesn't have to report to a central body.

So while there can only be one 'University of Richemulot', you can easily have multiple academies, each specializing in a different area. Or even two academies teaching the same thing, but constantly trying to one-up each other.

As for a department of the university being in St Ronges, definetly. The University is more a governing body not a physical thing. Universities today can have their agrigulture department located out in a rural area, but they are still part of the Uni.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Fellow Fratties, we have been SPAMMED.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

I removed my fake spam, but I put the link I used in the Auditory Inspiration thread in the Dark Beyond.