New to Ravenloft? Start here!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

New to Ravenloft? Start here!

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Giamarga wrote:(Something like a best of compilation of these threads should probably be stickied!)
Good idea, Giamarga!

Here is the official and sticky list of helpful threads for newbies, as compiled by The Giamarga.

FoS Ravenloft FAQ
New to the Forum? introduce yourself here!New to the Ravenloft Campaign Setting
So what books do I need as a Ravenloft newbie?
New to Ravenloft (... and which books to buy)
Anyone got a complete list of all the 3E Ravenloft products?
Starting a Ravenloft Campaign Needs?
What do I need for Ravenloft

If anyone has suggestions of threads to add, post them below.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

To accompany this well, we would need a newbie guide PDF :)

I'll resurrect this project soon, after the SoS thing.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Also Dion's w.i.p. Player's Guide to RL will come in handy once it's finished.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

But it's 4e oriented, IIRC, while I'm thinking of something more universal. Many new faces here are still in the 3e era.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote:Many new faces here are still in the 3e era.
Or 2e even... :)

A pdf would be good, but I think the sticky should stay (perhaps with a link to the pdf). Some people find the forum first and might not dig down into the Library or Mausoleum right away.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: A pdf would be good, but I think the sticky should stay (perhaps with a link to the pdf). Some people find the forum first and might not dig down into the Library or Mausoleum right away.
That's a very good point. It took me a while to discover those places myself, and a link to the PDF on this thread would be a great idea. Do you guys think there should also be a map of the setting as well? At least the core? There was a member, from France I believe, a couple of years ago who was doing some wonderful maps . . .
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Re: New to Ravenloft? Start here!

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

As of Sunday, August 7, 2010, Ravenloft has been officially announced as part of 4e.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rafael wrote:As of Sunday, August 7, 2010, Ravenloft has been officially announced as part of 4e.
This will be moving into the FAQ as soon as possible.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

It might be a good idea to lock this thread and include a link to the "introduce yourself" thread here...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Giamarga wrote:It might be a good idea to lock this thread and include a link to the "introduce yourself" thread here...
I moved the misplaced posts from here to the "introduce yourself" thread, and added a link to that thread in the list in the first post. I'm not going to lock this thread, since it's still a good place for suggestions to add to the list.
Le Noir Faineant

On the risk of making a fool of myself: Can one of you that are less out of the loop than I am give me a breakdown as to where Ravenloft is, right now? Like, a "buyer's guide to 5e Ravenloft" perhaps? :)

Posting this here because with all of the recent publications, I figured more folks than myself might have this question. :) Full disclosure - I'm probably set for life with all the 2e stuff, but if there's something interesting with the newer material, I'm not biased against trying it out. ...Didn't like the 5e setting book, and honestly thought the 2e version of the "Ravenloft" adventure was better than the 5e one, at least to me, from my perspective as a vet.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Have you tried White Wolf's Gazetteers?
They're 3/3.5e, but I think they're very good.
Le Noir Faineant

Oh, of course! And I love them dearly! Especially in retrospect, they are pretty remarkable. I don't think there was ever a bigger love letter to the golden age of AD&D than those five booklets, even beyond the love that Greyhawk still gets. :)

I mentioned the 2e stuff, though, because there we got so many adventures: Nowadays, if I look at Ravenloft, and not at more generic horror stuff ("The Chained Coffin" from Goodman Games fits the bill, for me, for example), then I look at the old 2e and Dungeon Mag adventures - because they're fleshed-out, ready to use stuff, after all. :lucas:

This is why I'm interested in 5e - good or bad, there's a lot of new stuff out now, and there's a lot of ready-to-use material out there, as well. That's cool. :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Le Noir Faineant wrote:This is why I'm interested in 5e - good or bad, there's a lot of new stuff out now, and there's a lot of ready-to-use material out there, as well. That's cool. :)
Well, officially, there isn't. There's only Curse of Strahd and Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. If you want to delve into DM's Guild stuff, there's quite a lot more, but as far as books on the LGS shelf, that's it for now.
Le Noir Faineant

Thank you, Ron! How does this "Domains of Delight" stuff fit in with the other Ravenloft stuff, though? Is it at all related, or is it more of an "option" to place it in RL?