The time stealing watchsmiths

Discussing all things Ravenloft
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The time stealing watchsmiths

Post by NykylaiHellray »

its been a while since I have posted, mainly due to getting things ready for starting my MA in september.

Anyway I have recently been thinking about other stories in my city.

One which I have been really interested in is the watchsmith.

The original idea was a man who stole time from those who dont use it, and sells it to the rich and the decadent who want to remain young or have more time to indulge their whims.

But the idea seemed dull, and all to similar to tales I have heard before.

So I was thinking of how to tie the evils in my cities to aspects of the train master (in which I see the city as a manifestation of his will).

I then remembered the train masters fear of the flesh and how that made him into the monster he is now.

So the idea I am thinking about. Is that certain people are drawn to the city, for a variety of reasons. Some are destined to be mere raw materials for fuel, though some become manifestations of the machine which is the city.

In grand central there stands a clocktower, its origins are linked to the founding of the city. Though like most of the stories its begginings are subject to rumour and superstition.

But there is always a caretaker, a watchmaker who maintains the clock and creates timepieces of exquisite skill, and there is always an apprentice.

At the end of the apprenticeship, the student must put a mechanical figurine into the clocktower, and always the former master vanishes.

One thing links all the former masters together. A fear of the flesh, a fear of times passing.

They use the clocktower to siphon time from the people of the city, taking as much for themselves as they can. Selling off all the excess time they cant use at present, or merely to keep the money flowing in.

But the amount of time they steal always has a side effect.

Their body becomes china, their blood becomes oil, and the organs they poscess slowy start to turn into somthing reminiscent of the inner workings of a clock.

Till finally they become statues locked in a moment, drowned in the excess of time they have consumed.

At present the idea still needs work, but essentially thats the story I am trying to right at the moment.

Any ideas how I can develop this series of watchsmiths?
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]