Ravenloft/Magic: the Gathering (Updated 18 October 2016)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Looking good!

Weird to see Malken in white... what's the reasoning there? I realize it's kinda tough to see any darklord in white, but I'd say Malken is more red. The only darklords I can think of that seem like white cards to me are:
Elena, maaaaaybe Godefroy, ... and then I draw a blank. :)

Just one templating quibble on Drakov:
you can't counter damage, only prevent it. I think you want to say simply: Damage dealt by sources you control can't be prevented.
Unless you want to say:
Damage dealt by sources you control can't be prevented.
Spells you control that do damage can't be countered.

But I'm not sure if the rules would officially support that, since I don't know if the rules text of a card on the stack can be looked at by another spell. (And I'm sure there's some corner cases of spells that don't normally do damage, but do under certain circumstances.) so you might just go all in and say:
Damage dealt by sources you control can't be prevented.
Spells you control can't be countered.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Lost Heretic
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lost Heretic »

These cards seem fairly balanced, good job so far!
Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Weird to see Malken in white... what's the reasoning there? I realize it's kinda tough to see any darklord in white, but I'd say Malken is more red.
I figured that since Malken doesn't actually exist (and therefore could be best described as an Aura), and white is Aura-heavy, I decided to put him there. Just a personal preference, of course. :)

It's actually hard to distribute the Core darklords away from the dominant perception of them being black and/or red, and as much as possible I steer them away from black to have an even distribution on the Magic color pie; hence, I'm still torn with where to assign Hazlik (red or blue), Marquis d'Polarno (white or blue), Ivan Dilisnya (black or blue), Tristessa (black or blue) and Baron von Kharkov (black or green).

I also have a problem with cluster darklords Pharaoh Anhktepot and Tiyet; "Mummy" is not a creature type, so chances are they would be classified as "Zombie." (Anhktepot would be a black/white Zombie Cleric while Tiyet would be a black/red Zombie Wizard.)

My biggest problem right now however is finding monogreen Core darklords (Easan as an elf would be more green/blue, but this would put him in the third block of the Ravenloft set).

As for Drakov's wording, yep you're right; I could just say: "Damage dealt by spells you play and by permanents you control can't be prevented."

And here's my idea for Azalin Rex:

Azalin Rex
Mythic Rare
4BBB
Darklord Creature – Lich
Your life total is zero.
You can't draw cards.
You can't lose the game.
3/1

:)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:I also have a problem with cluster darklords Pharaoh Anhktepot and Tiyet; "Mummy" is not a creature type, so chances are they would be classified as "Zombie."
Yup, see Cyclopean Mummy's latest oracle text.
My biggest problem right now however is finding monogreen Core darklords
yeah, I think the 2 wolves are your best bet in the core. But go out to the islands and you get King Croc, and maybe Draga.
As for Drakov's wording, yep you're right; I could just say: "Damage dealt by spells you play and by permanents you control can't be prevented."
The trouble with that is that I can still cancel your shock, and it works because I'm not technically "preventing" the damage.

(And I think they would jsut says "sources you control." that covers both spells you play and permanents you control. see Light of Sanction.)
Azalin Rex
Mythic Rare
4BBB
Darklord Creature – Lich
Your life total is zero.
You can't draw cards.
You can't lose the game.
3/1
Check the latest template of Lich:
As Lich comes into play, your life total becomes 0.

So make it:
As Azalin comes into play, your life total becomes 0.

But otherwise, I like it. I'd drop the casting cost quite a bit, though. (or buff his stats or abilities) It compares rather poorly to Platinum Angel.

:)[/quote]
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
My biggest problem right now however is finding monogreen Core darklords
yeah, I think the 2 wolves are your best bet in the core. But go out to the islands and you get King Croc, and maybe Draga.
The Three Hags, maybe? Or Tsien Chiang in her tree-form, if you go shopping outside the Core.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Update time! :)

Though no new visuals at this point, here are the stuff I have done so far:

1 - All cards in the Ravenloft set now use M10 wording. - No surprise there, which means that "into play" now becomes "onto the battlefield," etc.

2 - Uncommon Darklord cards. - Since "Kamigawa" had them, why can't "Dark Powers"? Godefroy is now uncommon. For the "Dark Powers" core set, there will be 21 Darklord cards in total (each color will have 1 mythic rare DL, 2 rare DL's and 1 uncommon DL, plus 1 mythic rare Dl artifact). Other Darklords appear in the 2nd and 3rd expansions. :)

3 - AZALIN REX IS NOW A DARKLORD ENCHANTMENT (no subtype). - This was a tough decision for me to make. But after looking at most of the "Lich" cards MtG has made so far, plus the fact that almost all corporeal undead are now classified under the "Zombie" creature type, I think that this made sense. Not to mention the fact that as stated in "Lord of the Necropolis," he was intangible and possessed multiple bodies and all. Storywise, it would help the Planeswalker (in this case the player) possess Azalin's abilities and impotence. :)

4 - Pharaoh Anhktepot and Tiyet of Sebua are Zombies--WHITE Zombies.

5 - Various other slight alterations and designations:

-- Baron Urik von Kharkov (red) is typed as "Cat," nothing more. This gives him more leeway to control Cat creatures in the game.
-- Sisters Mindefisk (green) is typed as "Hag."
-- Captain of the Relentless is typed as "Spirit."
-- Vorno and Ivania (black) is typed as "Zombie Demon."
-- Frantisek Markov (green) is typed as "Ape Mutant." he has a "Graft"-like power, but that's all I could say at the moment. ;)

6 - Color designations to the five most recognizable religions:

"Bant" - Morninglord
"Esper" - Ezra
"Grixis" - Eternal Order
"Jund" - Lawgiver
"Naya" - Hala

7 - I have added five rare Legendary COLORED artifacts, each representing a color:

White - Holy Symbol of Ravenkind
Blue - Shard of Ezra's Shield
Black - Hourglass of Souls
Red - Felkovic's Cat
Green - Azenwrath of Canondale

8 - PLANECHASE will open up the possibility of every Ravenloft domain gaining a card.

That's all for the moment. I'll provide visuals very soon. :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:-- Baron Urik von Kharkov (red) is typed as "Cat," nothing more. This gives him more leeway to control Cat creatures in the game.
aww... not Vampire Cat? Then he could be affected by the new vampire lord in M10.
"Bant" - Morninglord
"Esper" - Ezra
"Grixis" - Eternal Order
"Jund" - Lawgiver
"Naya" - Hala
Hmm... not sure I like all the fits here. Some seem forced. Surely the Wolf God is more Jund than the Lawgiver. (a fanatical devotion to hierarchy centered in red?) And I don't see much blue in the Morninglord... I see them more like pure white, or maybe a little Selesnya. For Lawgiver, I think they're pretty Orzhov, no?
Azenwrath of Canondale
ooh, is there room on the type line for Legendary Artifact Creature - Treefolk Golem Scarecrow? ;)
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I've never played Magic, but I liked Spellfire enough to do some custom cards myself.

I encountered much the same problems too with portraits. Hard to find color pics.

For what it's worth, I always thought Sean Bean as Boromir in LOTR would have made a good Drakov.

Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

aww... not Vampire Cat? Then he could be affected by the new vampire lord in M10.
Baron Urik Kharkov is now "Cat Shapeshifter." :P
ooh, is there room on the type line for Legendary Artifact Creature - Treefolk Golem Scarecrow?

"Legendary Artifact Creature - Scarecrow" would suffice. :)

Meanwhile, I have added FIVE MORE DARKLORDS (all uncommon) into the first set, putting the total at 26:

BLACK
MR - Count Strahd von Zarovich
R - Vorno and Ivania
R - Azalin, Lich King of Darkon
UC - Jacqueline Renier
UC - Death, Lord of the Necropolis

BLUE
MR - Dominic d'Honaire
R - Ivana Boritsi
R - Ivan Dilisnya
UC - Lady of Lake Kronov
UC - Marquis Stezen d'Polarno

WHITE
MR - Malken, Curse of the Hiregaard
R - Captain of the Relentless
R - Sir Tristen ApBlanc
UC - Lord Winfred Godefroy
UC - Lady of the Ravens

GREEN
MR - Harkon Lukas
R - Easan the Mad
R - Frantisek Markov
UC - Nathan Timothy
UC - Sisters Mindefisk

RED
MR - Drakov of Falkovnia
R - Baron Urik von Kharkov
R - Hazlik the Red
U - Spulzeer, Prisoner of Aggarath
U - Gabrielle Aderre

ARTIFACT
MR - Adam, Child of Mordenheim
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

I like'em. Shouldn't Tristan/Malken be a flip card (as intro'd in Kamigawa) with a damage trigger?
Hindsight is, after all, caused by a lack of foresight.

Death rates exceeded 100% in some towns.

Charles V spent most of his reign aging.

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

August 10, 2009

Today we talk about the PLANECHASEcards!!!

As I said earlier, ALL of Ravenloft's domains can potentially have their own Planechase cards; right now I'm viewing the first official preview:

I'm now studying how this could apply for example to certain domains (and their "feel," so to speak), such as:

DARKON
Plane - Ravenloft
Whenever you draw a card, you put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library.
CH: Whenever you roll CH, discard your hand and draw cards equal to the number of cards you discarded plus one.
(This sort of mimics Darkon's "modify memory" thingee.)

LAMORDIA
Plane - Ravenloft
Whenever you successfully cast an artifact spell, you gain 3 life
CH: You gain X life, where X is the converted mana cost of each artifact on the battlefield.

I'll definitely create more! :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

couple things:
"successfully cast" is now simply "cast", unless you mean countered artifacts wouldn't give you the life. (In which case, it would be "whenever an artifact which you cast enters the battlefield under your control" or more simply "whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control" (if you don't care about tinker-style tricks))

The preview article says that the plane's controller ("you") is whoever's turn it is. You probably want to reword the first ability on each to affect everyone, not just the player whose turn it is:

Whenever a player draws a card, that player puts a card from his or her
hand on the bottom of his or her library.

Whenever a player casts an artifact spell, he or she gains 3 life

Also, the CH ability on LAMORDIA could make for HUGE life total swings. You probably want to make it the number of artifacts instead of total CMC, or the CMC of the largest artifact.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft/Magic: the Gathering 2009 (Updated August 10,

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

This project still interests me, and I think the way Magic sets are built now may make our ravenloft legends a little easier to implement. For instance, multicolored is more or less standard, allowing Strand to be BRU and not throw too much out of kilter. I don't think the Innistrad set makes this completely redundant, as the specific characters and locales could make for interesting cards. I think the GC modules having their own cards is very smart; I'd try to find more card ideas in the other modules. Van Richten Guides come to mind.

Anyone else want to try fleshing this out some more?
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Re: Ravenloft/Magic: the Gathering 2009 (Updated August 10,

Here's my take, six years later.

With all the crazy s**t that Magic's been coming up with lately, I'd probably revamp the entire "Dark Powers" line with the following changes:

-- I'm ditching the "Darklord" supertype and instead replacing it simply with the "Lord" creature type. That way, Strahd's a "Legendary Creature - Vampire Lord."

(Also, as an aside, Malken will now be a "Legendary Enchantment - Aura Lord.")

-- I haven't stopped Magic: the Gathering altogether, but I've been attracted less to the current formats and have been toying with the EDH/Commander format. It would be perhaps better if the Darklord cards worked with more synergy towards being Commanders.

-- Kaladesh's "energy tokens" got me thinking: what if the Ravenloft set had something similar (I dunno, like "mist tokens" or whatever) but did something different ("T, pay [10 mist tokens]: cast a spell from your hand without paying its mana cost. Skip your next draw step.")?

-- And since Ravenloft is a plane outside of the normal boundaries of time and space, it'll have to be in an auxiliary set similar to Conspiracy.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Re: Ravenloft/Magic: the Gathering (Updated 18 October 2016)