Ravenloft/Magic: the Gathering (Updated 18 October 2016)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Re: Ravenloft/Magic: the Gathering (Updated 18 October 2016)

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

(I couldn't find an appropriate artwork, sorry.)
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft/Magic: the Gathering 2009 (Updated August 10,

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Here's my take, six years later.

With all the crazy s**t that Magic's been coming up with lately, I'd probably revamp the entire "Dark Powers" line with the following changes:

-- I'm ditching the "Darklord" supertype and instead replacing it simply with the "Lord" creature type. That way, Strahd's a "Legendary Creature - Vampire Lord."

(Also, as an aside, Malken will now be a "Legendary Enchantment - Aura Lord.")

-- I haven't stopped Magic: the Gathering altogether, but I've been attracted less to the current formats and have been toying with the EDH/Commander format. It would be perhaps better if the Darklord cards worked with more synergy towards being Commanders.

-- Kaladesh's "energy tokens" got me thinking: what if the Ravenloft set had something similar (I dunno, like "mist tokens" or whatever) but did something different ("T, pay [10 mist tokens]: cast a spell from your hand without paying its mana cost. Skip your next draw step.")?

-- And since Ravenloft is a plane outside of the normal boundaries of time and space, it'll have to be in an auxiliary set similar to Conspiracy.
I admit that after 25 years of d&d, I didn't get into Magic until Innistrad in 2011, a direct result of these very boards. So a lot of what you consider crazy, I probably consider commonplace. It is the main reason my activity here has dropped; I can actually find people to PLAY Magic with.

I actually liked the darklord super type specifically because it felt like a way to use a commander in a format other than EDH. I thought it was a great mechanic for someone that might otherwise just be a weenie with an annoying ability (Ivan Dilisnya?) It was unique enough to be interesting, which I think is the hardest thing for fan made cards to accomplish when inventing mechanics.

I also thought counters of some sort would be useful for flavor. The first thing that came to mind was "Taint" counters, but I'd never get the snickering to stop with my friends. Some sort of corruption mechanic that was a risk/reward for using powerful abilities at the expense of moving you closer to losing the game made sense as a Terror Tracks stand in. Like.poison counters i guess (which are absolutely verboten at our table, btw).

Innistrad did a good job of creating a setting, and my big project after Eldrich Moon was going to be the QtR article that converted the plane into a domain in our setting. The NERVE of Wizards of the Coast to instead squeeze Barovia into Stensia, like some kind of afterthought! I crumpled up my plans as soon as I read it!

Dion, if you've lost interest in this completely, would you mind me piggy backing off some of your original ideas for my own version?
Last edited by Strahdsbuddy on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft/Magic: the Gathering 2009 (Updated August 10,

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:(Also, as an aside, Malken will now be a "Legendary Enchantment - Aura Lord.")
<Magic pedant hat on>
If you reinstate Lord as a creature subtype, it can't be an Enchantment subtype too. This is why Tribal was made, but they don't do Tribal anymore. You could try something like the Theros gods, but you wouldn't want Malken to ever be a creature on his own and "Legendary Enchantment Creature - Aura Lord" with the first line "Malken isn't a creature" and no way to ever turn him "on" is probably not what you want to see.

I would probably go with just "Legendary Enchantment - Aura" and then in the text have "enchanted creature is a Lord in addition to its other creature types."
<Magic pedant hat off>

With that said... it's just a set for fun and Matt Tabak won't kick down your door and take your DCI card if you want to just stick with Aura Lord.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

I think Camille should have infect instead of wither. That way, she can give players poison counters.

Malken would best be served by using the transform ability rather than an enchantment, such as this card from Innistrad: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=221209

(although it's possible to make the transformed state an enchantment!)
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

I've taken this idea and expanded on it. I believe I have a complete set. To round it out, I'm looking for ideas for a green common with 6/5 or 6/6 that makes sense. What's a big baddie that lives in the woods of Ravenloft? Something along the lines of Moldgraf Monstrosity or Hollowhenge Beast. I rarely play green and forgot all about the big creatures at the heart of the color.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook